Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?

Undead Wolf

Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be changed?

• It's outdated and should be changed (be sure to post if you have a better idea than mine)
    • It's perfect the way it is now

There are a few things that could be improved on (like a reward system, the ability to delete games off your account, & even banning online trophies), but things could be a lot worse too (at least we have plats in the first place, & we don't need an always on connection or some BS like that).

The idea about making a trophy's EXP change depending on how hard it is to obtain is interesting, however I wouldn't use rarity as the deciding factor in it (I don't like the idea of your level changing all the time, also PSN's rarity is highly inaccurate). :hmm:

• Like 2

All games should have platinums.

10 minutes ago, Masamune said:

the ability to delete games off your account

This would be great to clean up the trophy collection.  Of the 5 games that I've failed to plat, I think I would only keep BF BC1.

I just worry about what games I'm playing and give no shits if someone wants to stack a dozen versions of the same game and fill their profile with simple games. I'm happy with what I accomplish trophy-wise for myself and not some inflated sense of internet glory because of having X amount of whatever the hot stat of the week is.

Trophies are fine just the way they are in my opinion.

• Like 3

I don't think the trophy system itself needs some kind of overhaul. If anything I feel like the best solution would there to be some sort of quality control that keeps those crappy low effort and low quality games from getting put on PSN in general. I remember when I thought Bound by Flame was the worst game I could have gotten on the PS Store, but some of these low quality trash games that can be made in like a week make Bound by Flame look like The Witcher 3 by comparison. But sadly they do make some kind of profit, even if they are exploiting peoples addictions. And it's not even just people trying to exploit trophies either since for example there is this weird zombie FPS game made by a company in India that I am more than willing to bet that it's some kind of scam company that I see on sale every now and then along with some other games that don't even look like they even made it to the pre-Alpha stage of development.

So basically I think the standard should be something like:

-The game looks decent, as in it looks like there's actual polish to it and doesn't look like some uncanny valley mobile game or something that looks like a Chinese knockoff of another game.

-The game is playable which is self-explanatory, but a lot of these low effort games often look slippery and just all around unpleasant to play. Basically have something that plays comfortably and doesn't feel like hot garbage to play.

-The devs making the game have a background check or some other kind of merit system so that way it isn't just some Indian scam company or other low effort "devs" that just want to make a quick buck.

But if we were to overhaul the trophy system, I think that along with some actual quality control, the other solution would probably be to either do the RPG system mentioned where the more rare something is the more EXP you get or something like that. The other being to go back to the way it used to be where most indie stuff only got 100% and the most "easy" Platinums would be TellTale like games or Visual Novels since despite being very simple are usually well made. I guess that won't stop people from skipping VN's though (which I consider to be very disrespectful but that's another discussion) but at least VN's have some kind of effort put into them.

2 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Well, or one, they should allow you to delete games from your trophy list regardless of completion percentage, at the very least in cases of server shutdowns or glitched trophies. Failing that, hiding them from yourself the same way you can hide Z-grade PS+ game you're never going to play from your library is a livable middle ground.

PSNP should follow suit and remove vitrified trophies that are unobtainable from any subsite that displays unearned trophies... advisor, etc. At the very least it should be an option. Options

affect nobody apart from Duke Amiel du H'ardcore and his gatekeeping "prestige gamer" ilk, who should just get off the bus already anyway.

2 hours ago, UGZ-GHOSTFACE2 said:

The only changes I would make are being allowed to delete games off your trophy list and providing rewards for the trophies. And no I don't mean that sad attempt of a reward system for trophies Sony tried to do

The problem with that though is if you can just delete your lists despite the percentage then everyone would have a "perfect" 100% profile and there wouldn't be any point to the leaderboard at all. Glitched trophies is unfortunate but server shutdowns are more on the people that didn't get them when they could have.

• Like 4

I have a few suggestions:

1. Stop trophy stacks all together, whether be it regional stacks, device stacks, or remastered/original stacks.

Exceptions:

A. If a game is completely different across devices (eg. Lego games between PS4/PS3 and Vita).

B. If a remastered version has seen a significant change compared to its original release.

C. If a game has different/cut content across regions.

2. Give every game a platinum trophy, with no exceptions. It will give uniformity to the trophy system.

3. Add a new icon to represent a completed DLC trophies in a game. Just like platinums should represent a complete base game trophy list. Another icon should be added to a players profile with a number of it's own to represent a complete DLC trophy list in a game. The plus icon in the default DLC trophy icon is a good choice.

4. Force developers to add an offline requirement to trophies with online requirement (eg. Mass Effect 3/Andromeda). This will stop trophies from being unobtainable due to server closure which is the most common cause for a trophy to be unobtainable.

Exceptions:

A. Online-only games.

Some of these will affect my trophy hunting (trophy stacking) but it ultimately will serve to make the trophy system better.

Edited by Mohd_AAAA
  • Like 3

There are just 2 things I'd change.

A game's offline & online modes should be treated as 2 separate games, having a plat for each one.

There should be a progress bar for trophies that say something like "flash guard 100 times", "kill 2000 enemies", etc. Steam does that. Sony should have little if any trouble doing it.

• Like 4

No thanks. This whole idea that we have to weed out the weak so the elite can stand tall just because you like putting yourself through a rage infused headache to get a super hard Platinum, is a mindset I don't conform to. It doesn't help anything just because you don't like that people want to relax instead of thinking that trophy hunting needs to be this competitive thing that only the hardcore can brag about. 

I mean,  agree with things like someone having 600 Plats, but most of them required no work on their part...shouldn't really be bragged about. But even then, I'm usually more impressed that they played 600 games to completion. That sheer number, knowing I've been trophy hunting for 11 years and I'm only about to hit 300 games played (much less completed), is impressive to me on it's own level. But it's still up to them to do that. 

Frankly I like the way it is now...it works. The only thing I would add is Xbox's tracking system. Hell maybe they can even update the look of the trophy image to freshen things up...but other than that I have no issue with how things are now. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mohd_AAAA said:

I have a few suggestions:

1. Stop trophy stacks all together, whether be it regional stacks, device stacks, or remastered/original stacks.

Exceptions:

A. If a game is completely different across devices (eg. Lego games between PS4/PS3 and Vita).

B. If a remastered version has seen a significant change compared to its original release.

C. If a game has different/cut content across regions.

2. Give every game a platinum trophy, with no exceptions. It will give uniformity to the trophy system.

3. Add a new icon to represent a completed DLC trophies in a game. Just like platinums should represent a complete base game trophy list. Another icon should be added to a players profile with a number of it's own to represent a complete DLC trophy list in a game. The plus icon in the default DLC trophy icon is a good choice.

4. Force developers to add an offline requirement to trophies with online requirement (eg. Mass Effect 3/Andromeda). This will stop trophies from being unobtainable due to server closure which is the most common cause for a trophy to be unobtainable.

Exceptions:

A. Online-only games.

Some of these will affect my trophy hunting (trophy stacking) but it ultimately will serve to make the trophy system better.

I think remaster is fine and leave DLC as is.

• Like 1

Some interesting points have been raised, but I'd also like to address something. I disagree about my suggestion being an elitist one; I just think people should be rewarded based on how much effort they put into a platinum over the total number of them they have. Like I mentioned in the opening post, the PSN levelling system works like it would in an RPG, but it's totally broken if you think about it. it's like getting the same amount of EXP in an RPG from killing some low-level mob as you would from killing a high-level super mega difficult boss. :P We'd all be demanding a patch if that's how it was in a game, no? :giggle: My suggestion is all about making the system more fair. Every game can have a platinum, but the total quantity of them wouldn't be the only factor in determining someone's PSN level. I hope that makes sense.

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

Edit 2: @Undead Wolf Are you talking about hypothetical changes Sony should make that will never happen, or changes to the PSNP site here?

The former. I know the people at Sony are never going to see this thread, but I was just curious how the trophy hunting community feels about the current system and how it can be improved. The way PSN levelling works has stayed largely the same since trophies were first introduced in 2008 despite the PlayStation ecosystem changing a lot since then, mainly in terms of how much shovelware is released on the store on a weekly basis and how platinums are now being handed out like candy. 

1 hour ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I have yet to see a suggestion to make things 'better' than the system there is now. All I can see are suggestions to bias the trophy system to certain likings without a solid reason to do so. Someone plays more/other games than you? So what?

Without a solid reason? I disagree. I think it's perfectly valid to want a system that values platinum trophies differently depending on the game. I mean how is it right that a platinum in My Name is Mayo gives you the same amount of EXP as a platinum in Super Meat Boy? And for the last part of your post, the changes I mentioned doesn't benefit people who play more games than someone else. Actually, it's quite the opposite. It encourages people to spend more time with fewer games instead of buying a ton of cheap shovelware.

53 minutes ago, coldsphinx93 said:

I just want there to be less shovelware garbage being sold on the store. $8.00 (CAD) for a plat I can get in like an hour or less? What is the point? I wouldn't support these games for less than $1.00 because I just want them to go away! I see every week there are a handful of these games put out, and they only exist literally because of one demographic: shameless trophy whores. At least price them accordingly; money hungry cash ins preying on people with poor impulse control is how I see it.

I want that too, but Sony don't give a damn about quality control anymore, and I don't see them going back on that at this point. My suggestion about having rarity affect the amount of EXP you get per platinum would make shovelware far less attractive to the trophy whores you mentioned, and the developers taking advantage of them would have to start making games that people want to play or else they'll fade into obscurity.

45 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Trophy system is still the best imo compared to steam and xbox,  no one gives a fuck about your plats except yourself so who cares if they are easy or not 

In many ways it is, yes, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved further. And you know who cares? I do. ;) It's much more rewarding to progress higher in a system that can't be easily exploited.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Only 1% games count.

i like it but let's add that only games valued and purchased at $55.55 USD count...and remove all points for anyone who plays more than 5 hours/week..and let's also reset everyone's psn level any time a new psn account is created so that we're all on a level playing field...haha...i like this game...

• Like 3

The few changes they should make is not allowing effortless trophy list in their system specially coming from shovelware and ban those "developers" from publishing such garbage in the store. A cool feature imo would be having different kind of trophy value for each of the rarities, this way it would be more rewarding earning a sub 1% than it is right now due to each of the trophies having the same value regardless if its an easy 90% rarity game or a tough sub 1% one. The last feature I would love to see is implementing negative points for above 50% rarity trophies.

• Like 1

You know the "easy platinums" are there to combat the Microsoft policy that requires every game to have 1000 Gamer Score, right? At least the EXP value increases each level, as opposed to Xbox Live where finishing some small little game is an automatic 1000 Gamer Score, the same amount of GS that a full retail game has.

The system is fine as it is.

36 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Only games someone else hasn't done counts.

Hope you are the first earner ;)

Oh man if only we were in charge, things would change around here.

To be more fun of course, not to tailor to any minority group lmao I'd never.

good but it also needs a parental multiplier that is exponential...X 2 points for one child, X 4 for 2 children, X 16 for 3 children...4+ children?...let's face it, you have no spare time at this point...automatic + 50 psn levels...

agreed, we could totally come up with a solution that pleases all...

can I change my vote?...this convo has made me realize the system now does need some improvements...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, INinjaRaidenI said:

The few changes they should make is not allowing effortless trophy list in their system specially coming from shovelware and ban those "developers" from publishing such garbage in the store. A cool feature imo would be having different kind of trophy value for each of the rarities, this way it would be more rewarding earning a sub 1% than it is right now due to each of the trophies having the same value regardless if its an easy 90% rarity game or a tough sub 1% one. The last feature I would love to see is implementing negative points for above 50% rarity trophies.

Dude... That's harsh. Those developers put their effort into their games and you want to ban them because you hate effortless trophies? That's cold, dude.

• Like 3

The only change I want from the system is the ability to delete games from your profile once you earn a trophy in them. Most games give you a trophy within the first few minutes, thus making the 0% deletion option almost worthless.

Edit: The shovelware also needs to stop.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

Imo the system is fine as is, i'd much rather you be able to delete any lists on your account. personally i don't care if a game has a plat or not, but i don't feel games that are just 100% should go and just give every game a plat.

Personally we worry about this to much, the simple answer is play what you want, who cares how long,short, easy or hard the game takes to plat. Another thing just getting a plat in a game doesn't mean you have to stop playing it, 

p.s do people really think this is a big issue for Sony xDxD 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

There are just 2 things I'd change.

A game's offline & online modes should be treated as 2 separate games, having a plat for each one.

There should be a progress bar for trophies that say something like "flash guard 100 times", "kill 2000 enemies", etc. Steam does that. Sony should have little if any trouble doing it.

agreed. or in the least make online trophies as DLC trophies only, so you can still get the platinum via single player.(although this idea wouldn't work well with completionists.) your idea is just as good, also the progress idea would be neat too.

i'm not too sure if the way you earn trophies needs an over haul, never really thought about it. everyone receives satisfaction in different ways, sometimes its nice to get some quick platinums if you've been working hard toward some bigger ones. i do like to see level increases time to time and also someday's would like to get a platinum lol.

but yeah, other things concerning trophies could use a work over like mentioned by the above user, and like others said deleting games you've earned trophies on would be neat, at the expense of lowering your level/level percentage of course.

34 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Sony really needs to cut down on these 'shovelware' trophy lists with 15 minute platinums which are repeated 6 times over (6 worthless platinums) for a single game. They need to make standards, like if a game has a platinum trophy it must have 4 gold trophies max, 10 silver max, and the rest bronze, and the platinum cannot be earned within 2 hours. It's unbelievable to see games with a platinum and all the rest gold (no silver or bronze) which you get in mere minutes which are just completely devaluing the usefulness of the system. Getting a platinum trophy no longer is a quick indicator that you put actual effort into a game - leaving sites like this to eventually probably have to make some sort of new indicator to show effort if this mess continues.

I really liked TheYuriG's idea: filtering out trophies above certain %.

Seems relatively easy to implement and it could work as alternative (or main) leaderboard.

Edited by nyonmyan