Fucking platformers

Zanyverse

Reading through this thread again, I'm having a hard time seeing the justification in some of the complaints.

Maybe it's because my situation is similar to AJ_Radio's in that I'm old(er) and grew up with platformers, but I didn't find anything in these games to be unfair at all. Challenging yes, but unfair/broken/unplayable? Not even close. Even Stormy Ascent wasn't all that bad (I found it less difficult than The High Road).

Maybe platformers are just my jam. There are certainly plenty of other games at which I'm awful. But calling these games broken or unplayable is not valid.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Reading through this thread again, I'm having a hard time seeing the justification in some of the complaints.

Maybe it's because my situation is similar to AJ_Radio's in that I'm old(er) and grew up with platformers, but I didn't find anything in these games to be unfair at all. Challenging yes, but unfair/broken/unplayable? Not even close. Even Stormy Ascent wasn't all that bad (I found it less difficult than The High Road).

Maybe platformers are just my jam. There are certainly plenty of other games at which I'm awful. But calling these games broken or unplayable is not valid.

Yeah, it's just these new folks are scrubs.  That's all lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Senitschnig said:

F**** yeeeeeaaahhh

I finally got my platinum *-*

Everbody who thinks Highroad or Road to Nowhere is hard, you are gonna like Stormy Ascent.

Tried the gold relic on that one for the past 4-5 hours, because if I can't manage to clear that one, no point for me in going for the platinum. I always die just before or just after that long vertical section with platforms quickly popping in and out. I'm gonna quit because I'm tired and slowly doing progressively worse. Either I'll beat it or I'll beat the completionism ocd this time, it looks like a win-win situation.

PS. Fakest rarity percentage ever, I guess lots of shareplay behind the scenes lol

Edited by Brightblade76
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brightblade76 said:

Tried the gold relic on that one for the past 4-5 hours, because if I can't manage to clear that one, no point for me in going for the platinum. I always die just before or just after that long vertical section with platforms quickly popping in and out. I'm gonna quit because I'm tired and slowly doing progressively worse. Either I'll beat it or I'll beat the completionism ocd this time, it looks like a win-win situation.

PS. Fakest rarity percentage ever, I guess lots of shareplay behind the scenes lol

As you are drowning in despair, just keep in mind that there are people who can get all the relics and do everything else as well in 3-4 hours :giggle:

But anyway seriously, the key is getting loooong breaks and focus on 1 level at a time. Trying different levels and keep failing doesn't get you anywhere

No worries, Stormy Ascent dlc cleared, as a reminder to myself, never attempt this kind of infuriating crap at the end of the day when I'm tired. On one of the last attempts I've died at the jump on the final condor, could have said screw it, but instead I went on berserk mode and cleared it in another 2/3 attempts. Never looking back.

• Like 1

Did 7 relics in a row, now Fumbling In The Dark is making me wanna pick up my PS4 and throw it right through the TV. Almost every jump is a leap of faith, especially at the end, and, I don't know how it plays on PS4 Pro or PS5, but on my vanilla PS4 I'm under the impression that in some parts the framerate screws my jumps up, because the same jump has different outcomes depending on the situation. Anyway, 5 relics and then I'll move to something more pleasant.

edit. I did it, ranting always pays off. Now I call it a day before a vein bursts on my brain.

Edited by Brightblade76

On 4/14/2021 at 0:53 PM, Brightblade76 said:

I don't know how it plays on PS4 Pro or PS5, but on my vanilla PS4 I'm under the impression that in some parts the framerate screws my jumps up...

It's not your PS4's fault. I played on a PS4 slim and got through it. It's just a matter of practice.

Got the plat a couple days ago, Sunset Vista took me few attempts compared to that dark optional level. In the end though, just Stormy Ascent had me pull my hairs for a few hours (but I've skipped High Road because I don't enjoy suffering enough).

Edited by Brightblade76

One of the biggest problems is the requirement to be centred when playing the 2D levels. You want me to play side scrolling levels yet i have to remain centred so i dont fall down in front or behind boxes. That accompanied with horrendous enemy hit boxes and slipping off platforms. I don't remember CB being like this on PSone.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/26/2022 at 3:26 PM, mega-tallica said:

Crash was always my least favorite of the golden age platformers. 

And playing this remake has done nothing but reaffirm that opinion. 

The remake is far easier than the PS1 original. This is definitely a platinum you have to put actual effort into to earn. 

Crash Bandicoot 4 I am wholeheartedly looking forward to. Just need to apply thermal paste to my potato since it’s next to impossible to find a PS5 now thanks to the holiday season. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The remake is far easier than the PS1 original. This is definitely a platinum you have to put actual effort into to earn. 

Crash Bandicoot 4 I am wholeheartedly looking forward to. Just need to apply thermal paste to my potato since it’s next to impossible to find a PS5 now thanks to the holiday season. 

I have no desire to go for the platinum on it. The controls and hitboxes seem to actually be harder and less forgiving than the original and they make up for it by giving more generous checkpoints. It's easier in the fact that when you lose all your lives you don't go back levels like the original did and you can't die in the bonus stages like you did in the original but the game itself feels harder. Or I'm just older now and have much less patience than I used to, there's also that. 

As I said, I never was a particularly big fan of Crash to begin with but it was on my profile so I went back to it to clean up some trophies for the sake of upping my completion percentage. 

10 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

I have no desire to go for the platinum on it. The controls and hitboxes seem to actually be harder and less forgiving than the original and they make up for it by giving more generous checkpoints. It's easier in the fact that when you lose all your lives you don't go back levels like the original did and you can't die in the bonus stages like you did in the original but the game itself feels harder. Or I'm just older now and have much less patience than I used to, there's also that. 

As I said, I never was a particularly big fan of Crash to begin with but it was on my profile so I went back to it to clean up some trophies for the sake of upping my completion percentage. 

This is the same kind of response I hear from people who rant about Super Meat Boy. Crash Bandicoot was meant to be hard. Sure there’s the story, which is just finishing up the levels, but the relics and the trials are a whole nother beast. 

As I’ve said to others in the past, you have to put a serious amount of effort. And it’s fine to walk away. Many people gave up on Mein Leben in Wolfenstein. 

I like to play for the challenge every now and then, and Crash 4 looks to be a great game with a more fleshed out story. Hardest of the bunch, but I feel committed to go for it when I plan to. 

I can’t see myself finishing Street Fighter V, one being I generally don’t like fighting games, and two, I’m horrible against online players. 

21 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is the same kind of response I hear from people who rant about Super Meat Boy. Crash Bandicoot was meant to be hard. Sure there’s the story, which is just finishing up the levels, but the relics and the trials are a whole nother beast. 

As I’ve said to others in the past, you have to put a serious amount of effort. And it’s fine to walk away. Many people gave up on Mein Leben in Wolfenstein. 

I like to play for the challenge every now and then, and Crash 4 looks to be a great game with a more fleshed out story. Hardest of the bunch, but I feel committed to go for it when I plan to. 

I can’t see myself finishing Street Fighter V, one being I generally don’t like fighting games, and two, I’m horrible against online players. 

The challenge is only worth the time if you're enjoying the game itself. If not, then you're just banging your head against the wall for nothing really. It doesn't really work the other way with me. The game has to be enjoyable first and foremost, then I'll consider going for the added challenge. 

• 8 months later...
On 12/2/2022 at 12:44 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Crash 4 is hell to Platinum, for some reason Toys for Bob thought it a great idea to turn the game into the "Dark Souls" of the Crash Bandicoot series, its harder than the first game and the first game was always hard and wasn't actually designed to time attack.  Where as the 3rd game was and is an easy Platinum although the water levels do need a lot of patience.  I hit a brick wall on Crash 4, it's not fun if you are going for the Platinum and there are lots of Youtube gamers saying exactly that.