Information on PSN ID Name Changing & Your PSNProfiles Account

Cool, I didn't know that feature was already out. & they made the first time free too, that was a pretty big surprise. :blink: I'm quite happy with my current account name though, so I doubt I'll be changing it anytime soon. But I wonder how many of my friends are going to change it & I'll think they're a complete stranger? ?

Now the only problem is thousands of gamers racing to see who gets the hundreds of PSN names that haven't been taken yet. n6pTn5S.gif

Awesome. So in about a week, I'll have a look at the options available to me when it comes to possible name changes just so the site is ready in case I do go through with it. Too bad Sony doesn't free up all the names from inactive accounts so we have more options.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

But eventually after so many name changes I couldn’t recognize some of my friends and I deleted them.  

That's why my new name is similar to my old one.  That way my friends wouldn't be as confused.

I get your issue though.  On a grand scale, this would probably make it confusing for some.  If it came down to it, you could just send your friends a message.  You also have the option to show your old name for 30 days in your profile.

Just now, Temmie said:

That's why my new name is similar to my old one.  That way my friends wouldn't be as confused.

I get your issue though.  On a grand scale, this would probably make it confusing for some.  If it came down to it, you could just send your friends a message.  You also have the option to show your old name for 30 days in your profile.

That’s exactly how it works on the MMO I played. 

Not that I really care beyond some people I talk to every now and then. Probably will delete a bunch of friends off my list since I added some of them from boosting online trophies.

Just now, Spaz said:

Probably will delete a bunch of friends off my list since I added some of them from boosting online trophies.

That's for the best.  I haven't gleaned a friend from boosting yet that stuck around.  Except for @MMDE who then finished Sonic 2 because it not being complete bothered him.  <3 

12 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Awesome. So in about a week, I'll have a look at the options available to me when it comes to possible name changes just so the site is ready in case I do go through with it. Too bad Sony doesn't free up all the names from inactive accounts so we have more options.

On their FAQ it's mentioned that you can revert back to your old ID to potentially fix any issues encountered, so i believe "saving" the old ID is good for people who do end up running into some issues with their games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Temmie said:

Some people (if they choose to when changing their id) will have their old id next to the new one for a month which would help their friends know

8 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Too bad Sony doesn't free up all the names from inactive accounts so we have more options.

Exactly this. I'd like to remove the second underscore from my name, but that'll never happen due to an inactive account... That motherfucker stole my name nearly eight years ago and I'm still not over it lol.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Ren said:

On their FAQ it's mentioned that you can revert back to your old ID to potentially fix any issues encountered, so i believe "saving" the old ID is good for people who do end up running into some issues with their games.

Oh, I agree that it's a good idea to have it so you can always revert back to your old username just in case you run into issues. I was just talking about accounts that people haven't logged in for ages. Most of the "good" names were taken 10+ years ago, so anybody creating an account/new username these days will often find that their first preference is already taken, so they'll be forced to add underscores, dashes, or numbers onto the end. I believe the terms of service gives Sony the right to delete accounts that haven't been used for two years, so I'm just wondering why they don't do that so others can take these names.

24 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Exactly this. I'd like to remove the second underscore from my name, but that'll never happen due to an inactive account... That motherfucker stole my name nearly eight years ago and I'm still not over it lol.

I had the exact same issue when I created my account. I tried a couple of different combinations, but they were already taken, so I had to add the whole "_N7" part of my username which definitely isn't ideal. I just looked at the username I want and the guy has two games on his profile with the last trophy earned in 2009. God. Damn. It. :P

After years, upon years they've finally made name changes!!!???? they could atleast fix the trophy glitch.  (I've wanted to change it for awhile but now I don't care) I have no plans on changing my name. Sony needs to make more 

adjustments to its features before I even think about changing my name( nice concept.) That is all I have to say.

Edited by fantasywarfare71
  • Like 1

Does anybody know if you can free up names if you change the name?

I saw really bad news on the Sony announcement where the names "are yours forever" or something. But that may be false.

Maybe after 30 days the name gets freed up?

I want to change my ID to another ID I own. I would change the old ID, free it up, then change my new account to the old name. You can do that on Xbox.

That better be possible or this whole feature is useless to me.

Edited by QQQ_AX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, QQQ_AX said:

Does anybody know if you can free up names if you change the name?

I saw really bad news on the Sony announcement where the names "are yours forever" or something. But that may be false.

Maybe after 30 days the name gets freed up?

I want to change my ID to another ID I own. I would change the old ID, free it up, then change my new account to the old name. You can do that on Xbox.

That better be possible or this whole feature is useless to me.

It appears as though it's always tied to you and you're always allowed to revert to any past name, which is quite odd.

During the name change beta last year Sony seemed to make it appear as the old name would be allowed to be taken by someone else after 6 months, but that doesn't seem to be the case now :hmm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlindMango said:

It appears as though it's always tied to you and you're always allowed to revert to any past name, which is quite odd.

During the name change beta last year Sony seemed to make it appear as the old name would be allowed to be taken by someone else after 6 months, but that doesn't seem to be the case now :hmm:

I've already seen a few complaints on this that mirror mine, so there is some demand and it might change if the news is bad currently...

What makes you think the 6 months thing doesn't exist anymore? And where did it say that?

Just now, QQQ_AX said:

What makes you think the 6 months thing doesn't exist anymore? And where did it say that?

If I remember right it wasn't posted anywhere officially but Sly was telling me the system made it appear as though it would be that way during the beta last year - but anything could change from a beta, so there's that :P 

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I had the exact same issue when I created my account. I tried a couple of different combinations, but they were already taken, so I had to add the whole "_N7" part of my username which definitely isn't ideal. I just looked at the username I want and the guy has two games on his profile with the last trophy earned in 2009. God. Damn. It. :P

Damn, that's 10 years ago (depending on the month) by now. I really don't think these people would miss their accounts if they were gone. I guess it's possible that they just didn't connect to the internet for 8-10 years, but that seems highly unlikely. It would be nice if inactive accounts had their names taken out of the system somehow — allowing others to use them. Then, if/when they come back they'd have to pick a new name. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, QQQ_AX said:

It's in the FAQ they put up about the name changes. I can not be arsed to look up the link. But basically all your old usernames remain tied to your profile forever and you can revert back to them at any point at no cost.

Edit: It was not very hard to find, it's even in the blog post: click

Relevant excerpt here for convenience:

Q: Can I revert back to my old ID?

You can as long as the old ID doesn’t violate the Terms of Service. You can revert back to any of your previous IDs by contacting PlayStation Support.
Q. Do I have to pay to revert back to an old ID?

No, reverting back is free.
Q: What happens to my old online ID? Can someone else take it?

No, your old online ID is only available to you.

So I don't know where the 6 months thing came from, but all evidence points to that not being a thing in the actual implementation of the name changes.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
sauce
  • Like 1