Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

matigrosso91

3 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Except Rogue One. IMO it ranks up with the first films as a worthy setup. Not flawless but light years beyond the mess of the prequel trilogy.

Except it will age horribly with its CG.

"The Rise of Skywalker" name seems like a desperate apology to fans, courtesy of the killers of Skywalker themselves. I really don't know how this film will salvage the trilogy without everything being a lucid, dark side induced dream.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 1

My hype is big as always with Star Wars movies. But please please don’t be as bad or worse then the rubbish that was The Last Jedi arguably my least favourite of any Star Wars movies and yes I thought it was worse then the prequels 

• Like 4

... Look I don't mean to be a downer .. BUT honestly I didn't really see anything in this trailer that really felt worth getting excited over.

Ok so obviously there were the fan pandering moments of seeing old Lando and hearing "The Senate" laugh which ... yes I did find myself enjoying (come on how could I not?)

Still I just can't see those as anything but devices put in by the films promotion and marketing teams as a way to manipulate older fans through nostalgia. Like, yeah these characters had some great moments and did star in good Star Wars films but simply putting them into your trailer while blasting old school "nostalgic" Star Wars music isn't automatically going to your movie great ... what else you got?

And what else do they have? Well as far as I could tell A LOT of backpedalling as far as the Last Jedi is concerned. I mean for christ sake in just this short trailer alone I saw things that straight up retcon TLJ decisions:

Kylo mending his mask again seemingly right after destroying it ... so that was pointless too I guess. 

Lukes return (Guessing he's coming back as a ghost ... but what are they really trying to do here? Straight up copy and paste Obi wans arc from EP 4-6 or make Lukes death in TLJ seems both forced and pointless?)

Emperor MK3: So since Snoke (or emperor MK2) was just thrown aside like hot garbage and these movies apparently desperately need a bad guy that's NOT Kylo Ren I guess we're just gonna bring Palpatine back at complete random here in the trilogy's third act ... only this time I guess he'll be "Robo-Senator" or "Ghost emperor" either way however I feel bringing him back now is just gonna worsen his character arc since his "death" at Vaders hands (which I personally found very fitting) is now more or less pointless?

Apart from this all I really got was a few standard action scenes the first of whom I can't imagine did much to change peoples mind on whether or not Rey is actually a Mary Sue or not ... :P 

• Like 4

That's about as bland as cliche a title as I expected. Reeks of mid-2000s fanfiction.

Anyways, they've managed to kill off all the iconic mains but Chewbacca (the only one I don't like) at this point, and the new characters are so-and-so... so I'm fine with, like, a time-traveling Emperor Palpatine in power armor appearing out of nowhere to Force Lightning everything to death.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rune2303 said:

And what else do they have? Well as far as I could tell A LOT of backpedalling as far as the Last Jedi is concerned. I mean for christ sake in just this short trailer alone I saw things that straight up retcon TLJ decisions:

Kylo mending his mask again seemingly right after destroying it ... so that was pointless too I guess. 

Lukes return (Guessing he's coming back as a ghost ... but what are they really trying to do here? Straight up copy and paste Obi wans arc from EP 4-6 or make Lukes death in TLJ seems both forced and pointless?)

Emperor MK3: So since Snoke (or emperor MK2) was just thrown aside like hot garbage and these movies apparently desperately need a bad guy that's NOT Kylo Ren I guess we're just gonna bring Palpatine back at complete random here in the trilogy's third act ... only this time I guess he'll be "Robo-Senator" or "Ghost emperor" either way however I feel bringing him back now is just gonna worsen his character arc since his "death" at Vaders hands (which I personally found very fitting) is now more or less pointless?

Apart from this all I really got was a few standard action scenes the first of whom I can't imagine did much to change peoples mind on whether or not Rey is actually a Mary Sue or not ... :P 

It was a bad idea to have a different director for TLJ; Rian clearly wanted to take things in a different direction to whatever JJ had been building up to with Rey’s background and Snoke. I didn’t hate TLJ but felt that it didn’t really add much to the story other than the stuff with Luke. 

Wow, I didn't think they would actually do it but I guess since Darth Goldmember wound up getting the split they went as far as to dig up Papa Palpatine from his grave, making Anakin's redemption at the end of Return of the Jedi hollow. It's quite amazing how much these sequels have retroactively just dumped all over the originals and undid any character development. They even dump on themselves by being so inconsistent with one another, like with all that talk of "let the past die" they are doing their best to dig it up as much as possible to wave it around. And since that's bits of the second Death Star at the end, does this mean the planet it's on is at Endor so we can just rehash the ending of Return of the Jedi? I'm convinced they didn't even have a plan for this trilogy and just let JJ set everything up with his stupid mystery box gimmick that ran dry ages ago, and even then I feel like his "mysteries" are just excuses to not explain parts of the story.

I would say it's cool to have Lando back at least, but considering how they have treated the other OT characters I expect him to either just be a glorified taxi driver like Chewbacca is or just have him do stuff for screen time until he has an embarrassing death.

Either way, I can't wait to see this movie...

Spoiler

...get torn apart by video essays and probably the guys at RedLetterMedia because I'm sure not paying to see it.

Also since Kylo is clearly the one in that TIE fighter, why is he trying to do the impractical strategy of trying to ram Rey with it? Why not just fly up like a thousand feet in the air and shoot her to bits with the laser cannons? Has he never played the original Battlefront before?? Eh I guess we wouldn't such an epic trailer shot if he took the sensible approach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Possible plots for this film being leaked, following the gripping tale of Lando's pansexuality:

• Rey's realisation that she is in fact lesbian.
  • Luke Skywalker's insistence that he is non-binary, and his battle with his fellow Jedi given that they keep referring to him as "He".
  • An outbreak of anger at the Jedi Headquarters when it is discovered that the women on the lightsaber production line are paid slightly less.

Given that episode IX is likely nearly done, these may have to wait until episode X. Call me, Hollywood. 

You sound like a Twitter employee... this is ominous.

4 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

Disney is claiming it will be on "hiatus" for the movies after this one. How long that hiatus lasts, who knows.

Well then. Can't imagine it would be too long cause they need it to be churning out more money.

4 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

Disney is claiming it will be on "hiatus" for the movies after this one. How long that hiatus lasts, who knows.

I wouldn't mind the SW series taking a break before burnout sets in. They've been going at the rate of 1 new movie a year, with side-stories (Rogue One, Solo) in between the Episodes. Maybe a 3 year rest would do it some good.