The rubberbanding is a joke (aka why this game sucks)

LoughNessMonster

This game has annoyed me enough that I'm making a thread just to complain about it.

Example video.

I can't understand how such awful design made it into the final game. No matter how well you do in a race or eliminator, there are constantly other racers right behind you. You can drive perfectly for the whole race and still not escape them. This means that you can't even recover from a single crash if it happens to be near the end of the race. Even if you've done the rest perfectly, you'll have to restart the whole thing, and given that races can be 5+ minutes, this is beyond a joke.

Update: Here's another example. Opponent snaps from being 23 seconds behind to right behind in less than a second... They move so fast the game can't even handle it and they judder/glitch before crashing.

Edited by LoughNessMonster
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, LoughNessMonster said:

This game has annoyed me enough that I'm making a thread just to complain about it.

Example video.

I can't understand how such awful design made it into the final game. No matter how well you do in a race or eliminator, there are constantly other racers right behind you. You can drive perfectly for the whole race and still not escape them. This means that you can't even recover from a single crash if it happens to be near the end of the race. Even if you've done the rest perfectly, you'll have to restart the whole thing, and given that races can be 5+ minutes, this is beyond a joke.

you're not the only one who thinks the rubberbanding is ass. Formula DD event 1. I am winning by 23 seconds, like 50 m from the finish line, and the car just zips past me. broke my controller at that point. This game is just imbalanced. Not sure what the devs were thinking. Definitely did not test this game at all

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

I mean, doesn't it make the win more satisfying if it's just a no crash gold? 

That's not really the issue I'm having. I do find no-crash runs satisfying. (I have an entirely separate issue with that though - the two available camera angles are terrible. Driving around corners is blind luck. The frequent sun-glare effect doesn't help at all. Also, I've seen traffic randomly spawning and teleporting along the road. Perfect runs are absolutely not skill based - there's a lot of luck involved. Which, as it happens, only compounds the rubberbanding issue...)

My problem is that no matter how well you do, the AI are always right behind you. Even if you take them all out and boost off, they'll catch up immediately. They frequently overtake you during the "takedown cam," which is when the game takes control away from you, and not just when you crash. It's just bad design.

The AI in Burnout Paradise was far better, IMO. I can't remember it rubberbanding too badly, and they were even aggressive, and actively tried to take you out. The AI in this doesn't even do that, despite it being a core game feature. Survival mode just sucks - in Paradise, you had to try not to get taken out. In this, you just drive and try not to crash - there aren't even opponents in it...

You are aware of the term slipstream and how it works in racing? Get far enough ahead to not give the slipstream to the opponent its easy enough lol, stop blaming the game cos you're not good enough to do that, also to the people saying they don't want to play the game now cos of 8 seconds of footage and a guy complaining about not being good enough are just as moronic lmao 

As a child when I was absolutely furious when I played Pacific Rift, where rubberbanding was a huge issue. Given I didn't understand coding or that rubberbanding was a thing I couldn't understand why I kept on loosing.

After all, what kid would think staying behind most of the race and only getting first place on the last lap is a valid strategy?

Thanks for telling me how big of an issue it is in this game. I had some interesting to start it, but now I will let it pass by my side.

30 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

In burnout you can turn the takedown cam off is this possible? Also if you lag behind and then at the end do a perfect lap does this negate the issue? Or is it where if you lag at all it's impossible to gold?

I mean with burnout it wasn't so rng but I could in my sleep do the perfect runs, minus some tracks where milliseconds mattered (time lap, white mountain reverse).

And idk if paradise to this is a good comparison but I am curious if it's designed where late game they get more aggressive.

In Revenge some AI were ruthless and would wipe you out last min

Yes, it's possible to turn it off. And yes, that strategy somewhat works. It can backfire though as it can be very difficult to catch up if the opponents pull too far ahead (i.e. if you crash) - the rubberbanding doesn't pull them back anywhere near as much as it lets them catch up.

I think they do get slightly more aggressive as the game goes on. I'm about 70% of the way through now and I've noticed that the AI shunts me more often, but that's it. The occasional shunt - nothing like trying to bash me into things or run me off the road, which is what I'd expect. I think I've been "taken out" twice during my entire playthrough and both times were because I made a mistake and crashed after bashing an opponent.

And I was so ready to break my racing game embargo with this game. Gotta say no to it now though. Rubberbanding is a shitty practice in racing games, it is pretty much the developers admitting they are either too dumb or too lazy to programm decent ai that can keep up with a player. They make the ai cheat and let you defeat yourself, punishing players for trying to do well in the game. Rubberbanding in a racing game is the same kind of shit as a strategy game that has the ai enemies cheating like mad with ressources and troops because having ai capable of playing the game normally is too much of a hassle to get.

If the most valid strategy in this racing game is forcing you to intentionally drive like shit and stay behind for most of the race to only make a dash for the first place place at the very end of the race, because the rubberband mechanic is so out of control it may just screw you over otherwise, then this game is not worth buying. Shame really, would have loved to play a successor of Burnout Revenge, but not like this, hope they patch it.

• Like 1

Why do devs continue to use Rubberbanding AI when literally no one likes it? If I'm good enough to win a race 49 seconds ahead of the second place guy...then let me have that, it only helps me feel better about the game anyways. I'd rather win when I'm way ahead, then having a close call that just stresses me out. 

Racing games used to be one of my favorite genres. I still miss the days of Need for Speed: Most Wanted on PS2. But ever since last gen, I've really failed to find one I truly love again. Either they're stupidly difficult. or have this rubberbanding crap that just makes it a chore to play. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Joey said:

You are aware of the term slipstream and how it works in racing? Get far enough ahead to not give the slipstream to the opponent its easy enough lol, stop blaming the game cos you're not good enough to do that, also to the people saying they don't want to play the game now cos of 8 seconds of footage and a guy complaining about not being good enough are just as moronic lmao 

You are aware of the term rubberbanding, and how it works in racing games? This mechanic is put in specifically to prevent you from getting too far ahead, regardless of skill. It is supposed to represent a dynamic experience so that the game can better adapt to different skill levels. Instead of having relatively set race times, that might be either too hard, or too easy for some gamers, rubberbanding is supposed to create a more custom race experience so that the AI is always close. Unfortunately for skilled racers this also creates ridiculous AI that has abilities over and above the player, such as cornering at much higher speeds or top speed above that of the player.

This does not have to be the case, but poorly designed rubberbanding AI often has this result. There are many other games that have this problem as well.

Often the best solution is to actually dial back your performance a bit, as the AI pack will often slow down to keep you close, then you can pour it on close to the end before they can adapt.

Edited by diskdocx
  • Like 3

I've found an even worse example on youtube, at the timestamp in this video.

The opponent goes from 23 seconds behind to immediately behind in a fraction of a second... The car is moving so fast it even judders/glitches before crashing.

This game is a joke. I recommend not buying until they fix this crap.

• Like 3

Really guys i don't know what your Problem is. This was the same with every Burnout game before. This one actually is much easier because 1 mile before the finish the AI slows down like crazy. So it doesn't matter at all as Long as you are close to the 3 cars in front you win the game easy. Otherwise there were some challenging Events but just finish it on Bronze, get the other cars unlocked and use one of them. I mean if you Play heatwave with the Standard Vehicle it's you fault to not winnig it. It's simple as that. Don't tell the People such stupid stuff and to be honest there are games out there that are way more difficult than this. 

The Race Events are really simple and if you are someone who played the old Burnout games till Revenge you will have no Problems with this game in 60 of the 69 Events. The rest is just Trial and error. Only the F1 Heatwave is kinda crazy because of the AI glitch, but not boosting the last half of the last round should get you through this without any Trouble.

And to be honest i like it way more to earn my first place and my platinum instead if you just want some stupid game that you plat with just klicking one button or so. Play "My Name is Mayo"... damn Gamers today don't know what a real challenge is.  

Don't let you tell wrong stuff here, the game is really simple and not that challenging if you know those Kind of games. Like i said, if you played the old Burnout games, this will be no Problem for you. Just use the cars Right and it will be Pretty simple. And you have just that one F1 challenge left with the glitching cars, but like one wrote above. Just don't boost the last Part and you should be save. Otherwise, the Developers are Aware of the Problem but like some of you should know, the developers behind this game are Independent and just a Team of 7 People. So get your balls down, chill and wait till they patch it. But give them the time to do so. This is not EA with lots of cash behind it. And for a Team of 7 developers and an Independent Budget this game is quite well made. If you compare it to your high class triple AAA 200 Million Dollar games who have way more Bugs and glitches today than this small Independent game.

Peace and enjoy the game who isn't afraid of sth. that is called "challenge" ;-) 

On 14/04/2019 at 5:07 PM, Joey said:

You must be delusional if you think someone FOUR SECONDS BEHIND YOU can get some slipsteaming to such a degree where he can recover 4 seconds of difference in ~2 seconds while the leader is in the REV LIMITER. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LoughNessMonster said:

I've found an even worse example on youtube, at the timestamp in this video.

The opponent goes from 23 seconds behind to immediately behind in a fraction of a second... The car is moving so fast it even judders/glitches before crashing.

This game is a joke. I recommend not buying until they fix this crap.

They have confirmed ones like that are a glitch that they thought they had caught in testing.  So the really extreme cases should be patched at least. 

For me, the rubberbanding AI isn't the issue. Imho, the worst part is the traffic. How should you beat Hyperclass and Formula DD survivals when the roads are full of traffic that comes out of nowhere? Every turn has a 50% chance that you crash into a car. Spamming the road with traffic is just a cheap way to make an easy game unnecessary hard.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...