Game of Thrones - last season, episode comments - SPOILERS -

BG_painter

35 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Are you certain she was raped by Drogo? My memory is a little foggy, but I seem to remember either in the book or the show, that she semi consented.  She even turned him away the first night until she was more comfortable/willing if I remember correctly.  It could be my memory or could just be the writers screwing it up.  Either way, victim of circumstance doesn't make her insane.

I'm of the frame of mind that any sexual act one does not consent to is rape, whether you're male or female. A little foggy on the details myself though I seem to remember Drogo forcing himself on her.

I'd also disagree with your assertion being a victim of circumstance does not make you insane. While the act itself may not, it can be attributed to mental health issues stemming from the fallout. I only have anecdotal evidence on hand at the moment though and would rather not get too much deeper with you on this if you're cool with that. :)

41 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

She had won, it was overkill and totally unnecessary and just shit writing.

"Burn them, burn them all." I think that was their attempt at bringing the story full circle with Dany becoming her father.

1 hour ago, merciful84 said:
  • I'm saying she ended up falling in love with the guy - I don't think that leads to burning an entire city full of innocent people

On its on, no, but when everything else that happened to her is taken into account and added up one may teeter on the edge of that precipice.

Not really. She wrestled with the idea before doing so.

So she should continue to get the benefit of the doubt because she struggled over making a bad decision before still making it? My point was not that she made a bad decision, but that she had a proclivity for violence as opposed to dialogue.

• That wasn't her doing, it was Drogo's, before learning how to influence his actions. Which actually indirectly caused his death. She convinced him not to kill the witch and well we know the rest...

She still went along with it did she not? As Khaleesi you don't think she could have done more? Maybe she was too busy thinking about ways she could save Mereen by crucifying even those who supported her stance (the father of Hizdahr zo Loraq). In all seriousness, I'll go ahead and give her a pass on this since it wasn't directly by her hand and was merely an instance of guilt by association.

• I don't know - taking young men away from their families, castrating them, robbing them of any real identity, physically abusing them...nope, no real difference there 1f60f.png1f44c.png . She reneged on her business transaction....you mean she outsmarted human trafficers at their own game? I'd hardly call any of that "city burning insanity"

You're looking at things individually and in a vacuum; I'm asking you to take into account the totality of everything she has experienced, said or done.

• I would call that more incompetent at that point. Again, we're talking about someone who just found their strength and was still learning about seizing power. That doesn't make her crazy, just unseasoned.

Maybe, maybe not. It's getting repetitive I know and I can only say it a finite number of ways, but: Perspective. >.<

• Well murderous insane people, usually don't give folks an opportunity not to die before killing them...very much unlike what we saw last night.

I thought I'd already covered this and said her "madness" felt somewhat rushed (that may have been in response to someone else, sorry).

To unpack a little on your thoughts though, I'd be careful to pigeonhole in saying she's muderously insane (insanely murderous?!). I liken her past states of mind to bloodlust, which is something I can empathize with more so than I can with someone who's just bananas for bananas' sake.

17 minutes ago, Deadsh0tdoubleG said:

To begin with, we have the Varys issue. I do not mind that they killed him off, but we never got any resolution about what he show in the flames when he had his "stones" cut off (unless they do sth in the last episode which I highly doubt, given the fact that they are rushing everything). It has been mentioned at least a couple of times in the show (like that scene with Kinvara in Meereen (Season 6, I think it was the episode where Hodor, RIP ?, dies), so they must had plans for this and they just scrapped it due to the time constraints. I would also include the "no screaming" death that Varys had, but I would be nitpicking.

This is the one that got me the most, honestly. I felt a lot was left dangling in terms of character arc.

My god... I wasn’t surprised by anything since I read the leaks which turned out to be mostly accurate but that was probably my least favourite episode ever, felt like I was watching something on Starz TV at some points. How the heck did Arya and The Hound and Jaime f00kin Lannister sneak into King’s Landing before the battle started? Could they not have done that a few episodes earlier? 

The one thing that wasn’t accurate about the leaks was the bell ringing. The leaker said Cersei got PTSD from her walk of atonement and released wildfire on the civilians (which would make sense, she knows she’s about to die and also takes out the people who hate her). Instead, Dany got affected by it... okay.

Wish they’d just had the army of the dead be the final enemy, since Cersei and Euron never even really amounted to anything in the end. It all just seems a cheap way to push Dany to the villain role in the space of 2 episodes. Even if it went thereabouts the same way in the books at least we’d get the right amount of buildup to what was going to happen.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

My god... I wasn’t surprised by anything since I read the leaks which turned out to be mostly accurate but that was probably my least favourite episode ever, felt like I was watching something on Starz TV at some points. How the heck did Arya and The Hound and Jaime f00kin Lannister sneak into King’s Landing before the battle started? Could they not have done that a few episodes earlier? 

The one thing that wasn’t accurate about the leaks was the bell ringing. The leaker said Cersei got PTSD from her walk of atonement and released wildfire on the civilians (which would make sense, she knows she’s about to die and also takes out the people who hate her). Instead, Dany got affected by it... okay.

Wish they’d just had the army of the dead be the final enemy, since Cersei and Euron never even really amounted to anything in the end. It all just seems a cheap way to push Dany to the villain role in the space of 2 episodes. Even if it went thereabouts the same way in the books at least we’d get the right amount of buildup to what was going to happen.

I did read the leaks too.
For anyone interested you can find the leaks in the freefolk reddit. I read for the next episode and it's worst than last episode.....(sign)

51 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

I'm of the frame of mind that any sexual act one does not consent to is rape, whether you're male or female. A little foggy on the details myself though I seem to remember Drogo forcing himself on her.

I'd also disagree with your assertion being a victim of circumstance does not make you insane. While the act itself may not, it can be attributed to mental health issues stemming from the fallout. I only have anecdotal evidence on hand at the moment though and would rather not get too much deeper with you on this if you're cool with that. :)

"Burn them, burn them all." I think that was their attempt at bringing the story full circle with Dany becoming her father. 

I could swear he didnt actually force himself on her. I remember him trying to get sex started and her saying no and him backing off.  It was more like them stumbling through a language barrier after being married than a forcing himself on her.  Anyway, im ok dropping it.  Whether her decent into madness was a subtle buildup or a quick snap, the writers failed (and I think everyone agrees there) to do it in a sensible way. 

Torching the city that surrendered was way out of character.  I would understand if she saw some brutal things happening on the ground while she was airborne, but she didnt, so there was no reason to just suddenly snap.  I actually thought she was going to smash the bell tower so she could say "well they didnt ring the bells, so they didnt surrender"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadsh0tdoubleG said:

Next we have Arya. I get it, she is skillful enough, given the training she had. Maybe she also had an enormous amount of luck. However, even those two things shouldn't be enough to keep her alive this episode, given the situation. Buildings falling apart? Fire all around? Being literally stomped? She survived them all, somehow. I guess Sam gave her some of that good plot armor stuff! ?

Well, she killed the Night King so she must have earned a shitload of experience. Physical and magical defense are through the roof. A little debris and puny fire can't harm her

1 hour ago, Deadsh0tdoubleG said:

Snip

After reading what you wrote I am now starting to not like this episode lol.  I did feel more fulfilled than the previous ones.  I just can't understand why rush the ending after they the series has got this far and making fans wait for like two years.

1 minute ago, TheLakota said:

For those who have read the leaks, an honest question: what possessed you to read ahead of time what would happen?

Never wanted to be spoiled really, however, after the atrocity that is ep03, decided to go and check on them in the hopes for any redeeming thing in what episodes left, and now im resigned to how it will be finished and anticipating the so called BITTERSWEET end ?.

One more episode to endure of his train wreck of a season.

• Like 1

Now that I'm caught up.

There was nothing about this episode I liked.

I really don't even know what to say. I honestly enjoyed nothing. 

I'm not looking at spoilers for the last episode, but I don't even know if I'm looking forward to it now.

(GoT has nothing on Bleach for rushed endings so despite it obviously being rushed, I'm not disappointed by it.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

@Avatar_Of_Battle And you. Play that RPG, damn it! :shakefist: Passable gameplay with a very Game of Thrones story. 

I don't have the game anymore. T_T traded that in a while ago, but I'll probably end up getting it again someday. I think I had just come off a small string of budget RPGs and just looking at it made me dry heave lol. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheLakota said:

For those who have read the leaks, an honest question: what possessed you to read ahead of time what would happen?

I must say I'm not a fan of hype machines and the fervor surrounding cultural phenomenon. 

Curiosity simply got the better of me after being fed up with this season. It was just a bit of a well, fuck it moment. I was hopeful even going into Episode 3 that some of the interesting theories would work out to be true only for it to amount to nothing so I didn’t have great expectations for this episode. 

• Like 1

Hey @BG_painter, may i suggest that once the show is over, this thread could still be a GOT discussion thread for those whom are interested regardless the potential dissapointing with the ending? I mean, i know it's very soon to think about it, but we'll have the spinoffs (the first one will began pre-production soon), we still have the books (and the eternal wait for Winds of Winter), we may have new games...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I don't have the game anymore.

darth-vader-no.jpg

5 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

but I'll probably end up getting it again someday

tenor.gif

But yeah, it really had a story that resembled the early seasons of the show (and the books, too, I suppose). Think I bought it in one of those 99 cent Flash Sales that have become a thing of the past, and felt it was definitely worth that. :P 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheLakota said:

I must say I'm not a fan of hype machines and the fervor surrounding cultural phenomenon. 

I was sad they killed off Rhaegal, so I searched for the leaks expexting it wouldn't get worst. Yes, go on, laugh of me.

4 hours ago, matigrosso91 said:

Hey @BG_painter, may i suggest that once the show is over, this thread could still be a GOT discussion thread

Yes of coruse :) I like to talk about the series too. 

4 hours ago, matigrosso91 said:

I mean, i know it's very soon to think about it, but we'll have the spinoffs (the first one will began pre-production soon), we still have the books (and the eternal wait for Winds of Winter), we may have new games...

WUT??????????????????
Where did you read that? I read exactaly the opposite, that there would not be any more series about game of thrones.

1 hour ago, BG_painter said:

Where did you read that? I read exactaly the opposite, that there would not be any more series about game of thrones.

In fact, i double-checked now and it's already in pre-production.

Even already has the main cast, Naomi Watts being one of the lead roles. Another names are Josh Whitehouse (Poldark), Jamie Campbell Bower (Twilight), Georgie Henley (Narnia), Naomi Ackie (Star Wars), Marquis Rodriguez (Iron Fist), Miranda Richardson (Sleepy Hollow) and more.

It's written by George Martin himself and Jane Goldman.

The show still has no official name, but Martin said it's about The Long Night. A short description:

"Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secret's of Westeros history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend... It's not the story we think we know".

Also, Martin said a few weeks ago that this isn't the only spinoff they're working of. There are at least two o three more (could be Robert's Rebellion, The conquest of Aegon, or The Dance of Dragons, but this is pure speculation).

EDIT: Martin wrote this on his blog (on May 4)

"We have had five different Game of Thrones successor shows in development (i mislike the term 'spinoffs') at HBO, and three of them are still moving forward nicely. The one I am not supposed to call THE LONG NIGHT will be shoting later this year, and two other shows remain in the script stage, but are edging closer. What are they about? I cannot say. But maybe some of you should pick up a copy of FIRE & BLOOD and come up with your own theories".

Edited by matigrosso91
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, matigrosso91 said:

In fact, i double-checked now and it's already in pre-production.

Even already has the main cast, Naomi Watts being one of the lead roles. Another names are Josh Whitehouse (Poldark), Jamie Campbell Bower (Twilight), Georgie Henley (Narnia), Naomi Ackie (Star Wars), Marquis Rodriguez (Iron Fist), Miranda Richardson (Sleepy Hollow) and more.

It's written by George Martin himself and Jane Goldman.

The show still has no official name, but Martin said it's about The Long Night. A short description:

"Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secret's of Westeros history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend... It's not the story we think we know".

Also, Martin said a few weeks ago that this isn't the only spinoff they're working of. There are at least two o three more (could be Robert's Rebellion, The conquest of Aegon, or The Dance of Dragons, but this is pure speculation).

EDIT: Martin wrote this on his blog (on May 4)

"We have had five different Game of Thrones successor shows in development (i mislike the term 'spinoffs') at HBO, and three of them are still moving forward nicely. The one I am not supposed to call THE LONG NIGHT will be shoting later this year, and two other shows remain in the script stage, but are edging closer. What are they about? I cannot say. But maybe some of you should pick up a copy of FIRE & BLOOD and come up with your own theories".

2 minutes ago, ahmedelebiary said:

Can't believe there is only one episode remaining then no more GoT .. I really wish people would appreciate it while we can and stop complaining of fighting about this season. Gone by real quick. 1f62d.png

hey how are you? it's been a while i've seen you here in psnp :giggle:

are you enjoying the show?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BG_painter said:

hey how are you? it's been a while i've seen you here in psnp :giggle:

are you enjoying the show?

Hello yep been away and busy with work for a long time. Yeah really enjoying this season last episode was one of the best in the show don't really get the low raitings.. where did all those haters come from ? Where were they in the previous 7 seasons ? If they don't like the season then stop watching and let other fans enjoy it. Wannabe critics I guess

1 hour ago, ahmedelebiary said:

Hello yep been away and busy with work for a long time. Yeah really enjoying this season last episode was one of the best in the show don't really get the low raitings.. where did all those haters come from ? Where were they in the previous 7 seasons ? If they don't like the season then stop watching and let other fans enjoy it. Wannabe critics I guess

You are the onlyperson I know that liked the season so far, :giggle:

Edited by BG_painter
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ahmedelebiary said:

The previous 7 seasons weren't rushed and didnt have the writers butcher them.  The writers managed to fracture the fanbase with their poor decisions.  You appear to be one of the few that actually like what they did.

Edit - the mass disapproval is pretty widespread by the way. It isnt just on this forum

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

You are the onlyperson I know that leked the season so far, :giggle:

Just now, AJ_-_808 said:

The previous 7 seasons weren't rushed and didnt have the writers butcher them.  The writer's managed to fracture the fanbase with their poor decisions.  You appear to be one of the few that actually like what they did.

My only complaint is they rushed it.. 6 episodes are not enough there are many skipped scenes,dialogues and details and there are characters that never returned or we will never know what happened to them. 10 episodes would have been perfect I agree tbh I am not a fan of D&D.. wish GRRM was still around.

I have to say that I've enjoyed the big moments this season, but the breakneck speed to get to the end has really tainted all that anticipation of the past couple of years.

I've read the books, including the history ones and the Hedge Knight stories. I understand the motivations of the characters, but not seeing or hearing them on the show has really hurt this season. Still, though a bit disappointed, I've enjoyed this season and hope the last episode does the series justice.