Game of Thrones - last season, episode comments - SPOILERS -

BG_painter

Just now, ahmedelebiary said:

My only complaint is they rushed it.. 6 episodes are not enough there are many skipped scenes,dialogues and details and there are characters that never returned or we will never know what happened to them. 10 episodes would have been perfect I agree tbh I am not a fan of D&D.. wish GRRM was still around.

GRRM even said there was enough material for another 5 seasons.  Honestly, I wish he would back off the HBO stuff (including the incoming spinoffs) and finish the damn books. Glad you're enjoying this season, but a lot of people expected more - like all the story arcs and details that weren't fleshed out.  That's where most, if not all, of the frustration is coming from.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Honestly, I wish he would back off the HBO stuff (including the incoming spinoffs) and finish the damn books.

Massive GoT spoiler incoming! Skip over this post if you don't want the ending ruined for you. I beseech you: SKIP OVER THE SPOILERS BELOW!!!1!!

**SPOILER ALERT**

**SPOILER ALERT**

**SPOILER ALERT**

**SPOILER ALERT**

**YOU'VE BEEN WARNED**

Spoiler

I hate to break it to you, but GRRM will never finish the books AJ. It just ain't happenin'. Nope. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Gak mungkin lah.

Found this and thought it funny:

https://mobile.twitter.com/foxfled/status/1127816003910545408

Edited by TheLakota

12 minutes ago, ShepardNMDY said:

@Sofa King

Since you've read the books, can you please indulge me on this ? I bought book 1 today, but thanks to the retarded D&D duo, I'm not really sure the books are anything to be excited about anymore. I mean... Bran, king...? Ugh!  Is GRRM going to be just as stupid as the duo ? And also execute the same mistakes of S08E05?

Danny's and Jaime's arcs' destruction, and all.

Thanks in advance

The books are highly recommended. Years ago when I had to get rid of most of the books I had accumulated throughout my life just because I didn't have enough space for them all, A Song of Ice and Fire made the cut of the ones I kept, along with some classics like The Lord of the Rings.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShepardNMDY said:

@Sofa King

Since you've read the books, can you please indulge me on this ? I bought book 1 today, but thanks to the retarded D&D duo, I'm not really sure the books are anything to be excited about anymore. I mean... Bran, king...? Ugh!  Is GRRM going to be just as stupid as the duo ? And also execute the same mistakes of S08E05?

Danny's and Jaime's arcs' destruction, and all.

Thanks in advance

Well I can't say for sure since GRRM hasn't finished the last two books. The benefit of the books is they allow much more detail and subtext into the characters minds and motivations. Dany going mad is foreshadowed in both the books and show, hopefully the books won't rush into it and click her madness on like a light switch.

I love the books for the detail and the show for the entertainment that it is. It's unfortunate that the show went the fan service route the past couple of seasons, but even with the bad decisions and rushed storyline it's still one of my favorite shows ever. This last season hasn't disappointed me enough to change that.

On 5/13/2019 at 0:20 AM, Nighcisama said:

-snip-

I was never a fan of this show. But even I can admit that the early seasons had superior writing and we didn’t feel the temptation that the writers were trying to shoehorn in everything, much like they are now given how many key characters have been killed off. 

This reminds me when everyone bitched about how terrible the final episode of The Sopranos was, and it still remains the biggest disappointment I’ve had with any show. 

Game of Thrones has been hyped to hell and back, and the producers are milking whatever is left of this show before it officially ends and the masses can cling onto another great drama spectacle keeping them on the edge of their seats. 

• Like 1

@hsn963 wow this video...:S.!!!!!!..... Emilia's reaction.... I imagine how hard it must have been for her... accept what they did to dany....

@damon8r351 you seem to be an avid book worm, :) did you read fire & blood from GRRM? i'm planning to read that.

@ShepardNMDY READ THE BOOKS. It's better than the show.  The first book and the first season, as I said here before, imo it's one of the best book adaptations ever. 95% faithful to source material.

• Like 1

Y’all must not pay attention very much to the show they have hinted at Dany doing this since the season 2 finale with her visions in the tower of the undying. She was in the destroyed throne room with ashes falling everywhere and she has been on the brink of doin something like this almost every season so don’t act like this is a terrible character arc. It makes sense I would have preferred her to be good but this is game of thrones and if you expected a happy ending you haven’t been paying attention.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Y’all must not pay attention very much to the show they have hinted at Dany doing this since the season 2 finale with her visions in the tower of the undying. She was in the destroyed throne room with ashes falling everywhere and she has been on the brink of doin something like this almost every season so don’t act like this is a terrible character arc. It makes sense I would have preferred her to be good but this is game of thrones and if you expected a happy ending you haven’t been paying attention.

The problem isnt with the story event of her losing to the madness, the problem is the writing and the the way it was rushed and seemingly happened with the snap of the fingers at a time that made no sense.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

I do agree this season as a whole feels rushed but cmon now it was foreshadowed that Dany would turn mad and i was quite happy seeing such an unexpected but expected turn. I found this comment on Facebook and not only is it true but it made me laugh quite a bit. 

Season 1: Daenerys burns Mirri Maz Duur

Season 2: Daenerys burns House of the Undying 

Season 3: Daenerys burns Astapor

Season 4: Daenerys crucifies the Masters of Meeren

Season 5: Daenerys burns Meerenise noblemen

Season 6: Daenerys burns Vaes Dothrak

Season 7: Daenerys burns the Wagon train 

Season 8: Daenerys burns Kings Landing 

Everyone: “This is SO farfetched.”

Theres a difference between those and complete deliberate genocide though. It just could’ve been developed a lot better.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

Theres a difference between those and complete deliberate genocide though. It just could’ve been developed a lot better.

I’d argue that she’s shown she’s capable of such things. I don’t think the problem here is bad writting I think it’s just them wanting to end the show rather quickly when there could of easily been a few more seasons building up towards all of this. I do agree it could of been developed a lot better though. 

3 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

No, there's really not. You just supported Dany the entire series because she always took on the "bad guys". It goes back to my earlier post about perspective. 

15 minutes ago, ShepardNMDY said:

Nicolas Maduro - a tyrant, a genocidal maniac who's killed thousands of the Colombian people, including through starvation.

Maduro is from Venezuela, not from Colombia. And i'm strongly suggest we should left politics apart.

I love Dany. I felt so sad when this happened. But the chance to happen this was always there. She has burned and tortured people before; she has commited war crimes. I agreed with you that this hasn't been well handled, but this dark side was always there.

In fact, S02E04, she said (textually) "When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!". And that's exactly what she done.

You shouldn't say anyone has no intelligence because he or she doesn't agree with you.

Edited by matigrosso91
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Then when exactly would it have made sense? Because after losing her most trusted advisor, best friend, 2 dragons, more than half her armies, finding out your lover is the actual hier to the throne she has been chasing her entire life and nephew and seeing how everyone loves and supports him and not her. So after all that I would say her breaking like that with all her adrenaline pumping during the battle made perfect sense.

I think it would've made far more sense with an actual triggering event. Say she saw, for example, Grey Worm being butchered on the ground while she was flying around.  The way they wrote it, she was perched on the wall and watched them surrender. And then decided to burn them all for no reason.

She didnt have an adrenaline rush in battle and snap, she sat there for a minute after she won, and made a cold and calculated decision to slaughter innocent civilians and unarmed surrendered soldiers - people she purposely avoided targeting during the actual battle.

I dont think her losing those people is enough to trigger, because then why not just burn the now less garrisoned Winterfell the moment she lost them? It's not like she actually needed the army anyway when her dragon did 95% of the work at kings landing, plus she burned the city with her army in it - unless we're expected to believe her fire strikes were so pinpoint accurate that she didnt risk her own people.

Edit

-Even the mad king had a trigger event - his city being breached.  A city surrendering is not a trigger point.  Dany's actions prior to this could be somewhat believably justified, but her going full retard the way she did was just bad writing and "shock value"

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TheLakota said:

No, there's really not. You just supported Dany the entire series because she always took on the "bad guys". It goes back to my earlier post about perspective. 

Lol sorry but why are you speaking for me? My whole point has simply been that I think they’ve done a terrible job of getting her to the state of genocidal maniac. The entire season should’ve been completely focused on that with the Night King arc resolved last season, as much as I wanted that to be the final storyline. The rush to get her to this state seems to be the general complaint with most people, not that they simply hate the fact that she’s a villain now. I’m ok with people not minding it, I never wanted to be unhappy in the final season, but I hope you can respect that many people also aren’t happy with the current writing and have their own valid reasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

So you were never a fan of Dany? Okay, I take it back: you turned a blind eye to the questionable things she did for the entire series, only to now question her most recent acts?

I totally understand why people are unhappy. I too feel the season should have been longer. Doesn't change the fact there's mad hyperbole flying about on them there internets.

So if I'm allowed to speak for you then, I suppose your favourite character is Gilly since she's done no wrong throughout? Many characters have done questionable things but the audience should still be allowed to appreciate the good they've done. Why else has Jaime moved to being one of the most popular characters? I doubt many people were rooting for him in the early seasons. I could go on about many other characters we root for but you get my point. She wasn't a madwoman when she saved Jon and co. when they went on the fool's errand beyond the wall. She'salways been capable of eventually getting to this point, but we've (imo) not been shown this in a way that makes sense.

I mean we're agreeing on the fact that this season was far too short, that's just the main issue really. Obviously you feel differently but I really felt that we needed a stronger progression to get her to this absolute end point. It just gets a little annoying when we try to get this point across and people like @rolltideroll157 simplify the argument and act like we just don't pay attention to the show. That isn't the point. 

• Like 2

I thought the last episode was pretty good. Like others, I didn't see the full-blown slaughter coming, and thought as she flew off that she would go and burn the Red Keep to cinder to get Cersei. I was quite stunned when she set fire to the entire city, leaving Cersei to herself. But I also thought that it was reasonably founded in the series - especially in the previous episode and the beginning of this one. Feeling more and more isolated as the closest people who always belonged to her (Missandei, Jorah) died, and subsequently only having Westerosis around her, like Tyrion and Varys. They have been loyal and valuable to her thus far, but they never went on the long journey and remained loyal through thick and thin like the aforementioned people, she wasn't their Queen with capital Q, only one regent they served after having served and left others before her. Not only that, but they also had close relations with the reigning queen in Westeros.

She was alone, she'd lost her closest people, two of her dragons and half of the men she brought form the other side of the world. And once the battle she sacrificed so much for was over, she was still not one of them. They were cluttered around the room celebrating with one another, while she felt left out. This could obviously also be due to her personality, but what does it matter when the feelings it left her with were that of an outsider, not a queen saving her people and being celebrated for it. And ultimately the feeling of being betrayed by Jon (and actually being betrayed by Varys).

With her lineage and history, I don't think her going on a rampage under these conditions is too far-fetched. I liked it.

Of course, I have problems with the show, many of them. I've read the books and became disenfranchised several seasons ago. But I've let go of the disappointment and treat it as a good show (which it is) and a story that'll hopefully turn out better in the books (which they will), as long as the books are ever released. This season is much better than the last one IMO - at least the shit happening is epic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

She wasn't a madwoman when she saved Jon and co. when they went on the fool's errand beyond the wall. She'salways been capable of eventually getting to this point, but we've (imo) not been shown this in a way that makes sense.

I mean we're agreeing on the fact that this season was far too short, that's just the main issue really. Obviously you feel differently but I really felt that we needed a stronger progression to get her to this absolute end point. It just gets a little annoying when we try to get this point across and people like @rolltideroll157 simplify the argument and act like we just don't pay attention to the show. That isn't the point. 

We definitely agree the season should have been longer; I'm 100% on board with you on that. 

The way I see it though is I'm not looking at specific things Dany has done that were altruistic; rather, I'm attempting to look at the whole of her character arc. 

What I mean is, there are instances where Dany has done wonderful things, though on the whole I see a recurring theme and progression towards something more sinister. 

That's cool we don't see the same thing though. All forms of art are open to interpretation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheLakota said:

Nah, supported her mainly cause she is one hot sexy check with dragons and shit, nevertheless i usually cheer for the bad guys and villains, for lols.

Poor night king, may u rest in pieces ?.

Edited by hsn963

7 hours ago, TheLakota said:

You're saying that there's no difference between burning thousands of civilians, who have surrendered to you and are offering you their city, and the situations in Season 2 and 6 where she burned people who were actively keeping her prisoner? Why? Because they both have the word "burn" in them?

Every single time where she had been "mad" previously in the show, there was a reason for it. A lot of people didn't support her burning the Tarlys (they weren't "bad guys"), but we accepted it because it made sense for her as a character to do that. Burning the Lannister loot train in Season 7 made sense since the loot train was going to be used to fund an army to try to destroy her. They could have made S08E05 make sense by giving her a tactical reason to burn the entire city, but they didn't -- the city had already surrendered before she started burning people, so the only conclusion is that she burned those people just for fun. That is not remotely the same as her actions in previous seasons.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say not paying attention.  In my case I had forgotten most of what happened in the previous seasons, including the vision with the throne.  Now that people have discussed it here I can now put Dany's character into a better perspective.

While her "madness" became more apparent in Westeros I thought that she would at least have the decency to follow the plan with the ringing bells in King's Landing during the battle.  I mean, she seemed to listen to Tyrion when he pleaded and she was able to avoid innocent casualties in the beginning of the fight.

As it has been mentioned a plethora of times the writing for this season isn't that great and things are rushed.  If the writers took their time with this season as they had with the others we might not be discussing our confusions and distastes of the writing, and instead be discussing our full understanding of the situation with Dany.  You do make a very good point below:

11 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Because after losing her most trusted advisor, best friend, 2 dragons, more than half her armies, finding out your lover is the actual hier to the throne she has been chasing her entire life and nephew and seeing how everyone loves and supports him and not her. So after all that I would say her breaking like that with all her adrenaline pumping during the battle made perfect sense.

Personally, I think if all that stuff happened to me I'd probably go on a rampage, too, lol

• Like 4