Game of Thrones - last season, episode comments - SPOILERS -

BG_painter

I was actually working on set the day episode 5 was filmed and I spent the better part of a year pondering just where Jamie was running to in King's Landing. Yep, pretty underwhelming. Whatever about all the other characters and the criticisms thrown at the writing this year, they really let the whole Jamie and Cersei story whimper out.

But this is just my opinion, so please don't lambast me for expressing it. I will credit the last episode for its cinematography and direction - it  was feckin' phenomenal.

• Like 3

What I haven't really seen enough mention of is how Dany is basically alone in Westeros. She doesn't have the love of the people like she did across the Narrow Sea so she decided that if she can't rule with their love then she'll do it through fear, as was said in the episode. You could see it in her eyes at Winterfell, when she sat alone while everyone gathered around Jon, praising him as a king. The realization that the people of Westeros weren't her people at all.

As I've said before, the signs of madness have been there all through the series. The pace has just been accelerated this season and though I'm not a fan of the final season being a speedrun, it's not like Dany's turn is out of left field.

Edited by Sofa King

Just now, ShepardNMDY said:

Yes. It was like... "Hey, I forgot you hired Bronn to kill me...". I was thinking they'd fulfill the Valenqar prophecy. It would had been so much better, and the Euron fight scene could have been discarded as well, as they could have killed him off with Drogon.

I completely agree with you. I mean, Jesus - that Euron scene was just awful. It made it look like Euron waiting behind that rock for Jamie to come waltzing around the corner. It was contrived nonsense that served no real purpose whatsoever. The lack of substantive dialogue during the episode was pretty disappointing as well. Everyone spoke in very simple, short sentences like they're still learning the "common tongue". 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

Every single time where she had been "mad" previously in the show, there was a reason for it. A lot of people didn't support her burning the Tarlys (they weren't "bad guys"), but we accepted it because it made sense for her as a character to do that. Burning the Lannister loot train in Season 7 made sense since the loot train was going to be used to fund an army to try to destroy her. They could have made S08E05 make sense by giving her a tactical reason to burn the entire city, but they didn't -- the city had already surrendered before she started burning people, so the only conclusion is that she burned those people just for fun. That is not remotely the same as her actions in previous seasons.

As the Faulkner quote GRRM likes to recite goes: The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself. If they gave her a sensible, tactical reason to burn down the city with all the innocent people in it (whatever could that be anyway?), wouldn't that negate GRRM's ethos? I'm not a know-it-all on this matter, so I'm open to change my mind here, but isn't her clear goal to free the people from the firm grip of the tyrants? In which case, wouldn't it be far more sensible for her to actually become, without realizing it herself, a tyrant? Mad like her father, but this time, we get to see it unfold. Somewhat meekly told, as the pacing of the show is through the roof, but still?

If they were to make her a sensible queen, she would probably not burn the city down, and the foreshadowing would be moot. And the conflict leading up to a confrontation with Jon, Tyrion, The Onion Knight etc. would be devalued.

As things are right now, maybe Jon gets to stab her through the heart and become the Prince that was promised (even though it's a tad too late now that the Night King is killed anyway). At least we'll have our Azor Ahai when we can no longer have our valonqar. ^_^

EDIT: P.S. As I stated in my previous post, I'm not loving this show like a lot of the people who haven't read the books do, so I ultimately agree with you guys that there are many ways this show could've turned out a lot better. But even though there is much to be desired, I think the show is far better than a lot of the other shows I watch, and I really am looking forward to see how they end this show.

Edited by Bartoulum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

You're saying that there's no difference between burning thousands of civilians, who have surrendered to you and are offering you their city, and the situations in Season 2 and 6 where she burned people who were actively keeping her prisoner? Why? Because they both have the word "burn" in them?

Every single time where she had been "mad" previously in the show, there was a reason for it. A lot of people didn't support her burning the Tarlys (they weren't "bad guys"), but we accepted it because it made sense for her as a character to do that. Burning the Lannister loot train in Season 7 made sense since the loot train was going to be used to fund an army to try to destroy her. They could have made S08E05 make sense by giving her a tactical reason to burn the entire city, but they didn't -- the city had already surrendered before she started burning people, so the only conclusion is that she burned those people just for fun. That is not remotely the same as her actions in previous seasons.

Don't be antagonistic.

There are more instances than those you mentioned that were even listed in this very thread, all of which highlighted the conflict within her heart and at times morally questionable decisions she made.

I thought we'd already established I agree with pacing, narrative arcs being dropped altogether (Jaime, Varys), etc.? In other words, we're agreeing on the majority of the issues raised with the current season; we merely differ on Dany's narrative arc, and I welcome anyone and everyone to have a differing opinion than mine.

45 minutes ago, Gotakibono said:

I was actually working on set the day episode 5 was filmed and I spent the better part of a year pondering just where Jamie was running to in King's Landing. Yep, pretty underwhelming. Whatever about all the other characters and the criticisms thrown at the writing this year, they really let the whole Jamie and Cersei story whimper out.

But this is just my opinion, so please don't lambast me for expressing it. I will credit the last episode for its cinematography and direction - it  was feckin' phenomenal.

Agree with everything you said, and you need not fear anyone lambasting you for your opinion. Only a few of us are being snippy in this thread.

17 hours ago, BG_painter said:

@hsn963 wow this video...:S.!!!!!!..... Emilia's reaction.... I imagine how hard it must have been for her... accept what they did to dany....

@damon8r351 you seem to be an avid book worm, :) did you read fire & blood from GRRM? i'm planning to read that.

@ShepardNMDY READ THE BOOKS. It's better than the show.  The first book and the first season, as I said here before, imo it's one of the best book adaptations ever. 95% faithful to source material.

No I haven't had time. Since it's raw history, I'd imagine it'd read like the Appendices of The Lord of the Rings. Which are fine in their own right, because you get to find out how Thorin Oakenshield got his nickname (used a tree branch in place of a lost shield during a battle with orcs). No, I've been reading the works of Elizabeth Moon and David Weber, because my current thing is badass military sci fi heroines like Honor Harrington and Kylara Vatta.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

There is a petition to remake the finale season. It wont work but its clear indicator of how many people hate this season

I saw this yesterday and it was at 174000, now it's almost as 500.000!!! i think it might reach millions!

I think they would never make another season, but at this point, I wonder, why not? ? ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BG_painter said:

I saw this yesterday and it was at 174000, now it's almost as 500.000!!! i think it might reach millions!

I think they would never make another season, but at this point, I wonder, why not? 1f602.png1f4a9.png

It broke 510k, and doesn't look like it'll stop any time soon

Edited by AJ_-_808

10 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

There is a petition to remake the finale season. It wont work but its clear indicator of how many people hate this season

I'm enjoying this season in spite of the numerous issues. I won't sign or anything but if in the unlikely event another one gets made... I'd actually love that!

This season is so rushed it's hard to enjoy the same way I did in the early seasons. It's like they just have a list of bullet points they want to cover and are skipping everything in between. 

I did see Danaerys heading in the Mad Queen direction, but even so her systematically burning down King's Landing street by street to take out all the commoners before even taking out the Red Keep did not make sense to me. Her attacking instead of sieging, yes, absolutely. If she had gone after the Red Keep after the surrender and burned it to the ground in spite of her desire to actually sit on the throne would have made sense. But there was definitely some character development missing to lead to the full war crime massacre. All they had to hint at that full 180 turn of events was her complaint about the people not rising up against Cersei. 

I did like the bits of Dragonfire going off while she did it, a reminder of how her father hid it around the city when he wanted to set it on fire. Seeing things from Arya's perspective too was an interesting change. I suspect Danaerys is on her list now, unless the Hound completely changed her thoughts on keeping a list. 

Sansa went from one of my least favorite characters to one of my favorites. She's shrewder than Tyrion these days. Wonder if he will survive the last episode. 

Really going to miss Tormund. 

I think the writing is very lacking this season. The actors are doing a magnificent job with what they have been given though. And of course the soundtrack never disappoints. 

• Like 4

Tyrion had been my favourite character for most of the show. Now they have stripped him of all the qualities which made him my favourite. Like Sansa said "i used to think you were the cleverest man alive". Arya was my second favourite but her character has been tarnished as well. she was wasted in episode 5. Jon has been useless all season

I enjoyed the show a lot up until (despite the teleportation starting to begin in Season 6 or 7) the last minute of Episode 3. They just killed the NK way to early and easily. 1 minute before the NK killed theon with lightning fast reflexes but he isn't quick enough to catch a falling dagger? And then obviously we got episode 5..... still very entertaining and indeed Epic but if that is all i wanted i would watch a superhero movie.

Edited by Gibbo_0113
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PhantomBlade19 said:

I disagreed with a lot of the video tbh. This guy had many instances for Dany's madness being present...and then picked 1 instance for Arya, Jaime, and Sansa having "dark" moments trying to say they wouldn't be sufficient scenes for the characters going "mad". Yeah no shit that's sorta the point. Dany's madness and rage have been around for a long ass time with multiple instances so it makes far more sense than using Arya or Sansa's 1 instance of revenge (which were personal) and Jaime's 1 instance of trying to keep a secret. 

He stated that the other evil characters didn't cause that much chaos...yeah those bastards didn't have dragons. You go ahead and tell me with a straight face that if Cersei was given 3 dragons she wouldn't have done the same or more rofl. You could argue that's the point that Dany didn't do more, but 1 case of crazy isn't the same as other cases of crazy.

The only thing I did agree with was them forgetting about the fleet...or why it was even necessary to really fight them lol. It seemed like there were a lot more ballista out there than what was in the city as defense lol.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

Would anyone watch a reboot in many years down the line if one was made once the books were finally complete (much like some anime that passes the Manga)? Very unlikely it would happen but if any show were to get this treatment Got would be the most likely. They could call it "A song of Ice and Fire" instead.

Edited by Gibbo_0113
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Would anyone watch a reboot in many years down the line if one was made once the books were finally complete (much like some anime that passes the Manga)? Very unlikely it would happen but if any show were to get this treatment Got would be the most likely. They could call it "A song of Ice and Fire" instead.

Probably if only because fantasy shows of this type don't come around often. Or if they do I just haven't noticed them.

• Like 2