Game of Thrones - last season, episode comments - SPOILERS -

BG_painter

Overall I am happy with the ending. It made sense that Dani became the mad queen as previous season showed that she was capable of it. Sure not everything I wanted to happen happened like someone killing Cersei but even that I am ok with how she died. My only gripe is they should have made the last two seasons a 10 episode each has the ending seemed rushed. Hell I don’t even think Jon was punished as I truly believed he did not want to be king and he wanted to go north of the wall. He was only sent to there to prevent a war with the unsully but he would of went there anyway.

So the seats haven't fill yet. Seems like a comical bunch. Never imagined them to be advisors of sort. Curious who fill the other rolls.

10 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Although a touch dramatic, s/he is allowed their opinion just as much as everyone else.

That should go without saying. Not once have I claimed another's opinion is less valuable or welcome than anyone else's. 

It should also go without saying that calling someone a "smug prick" because a television show is not up to your standards is not so much dramatic as it is downright rude and entitled. 

16 hours ago, TheLakota said:

If the majority of you are upset the show didn't pan out the way you wanted it to but have different reasons for feeling so then maybe, JUST MAYBE, the showrunners did a pretty good job.

This thread alone proves you can't please everyone. 

The reason I didn't particularly care for the season finale is because it felt like I read a book with little to no detail.  It was like the writers drew out a writing diagram, wrote the first draft, and went with the first draft.  Not only that, but at least halfway through the final episode I felt like the actors/actresses sort of gave up.  I didn't sense that they were connected to their characters like how they used to be. 

It's unfortunate that we waited two years for the finale only to have something rushed (at least comparing this season to the previous seasons).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheLakota said:

That should go without saying. Not once have I claimed another's opinion is less valuable or welcome than anyone else's. 

It should also go without saying that calling someone a "smug prick" because a television show is not up to your standards is not so much dramatic as it is downright rude and entitled. 

Lol, my bad. I totally missed the smug pricks part in the post you quote and thought it was some creative editing on your part calling him a smug prick. I'll remove my post

@ShepardNMDY

The books are still an excellent read, dont let the show discourage you.

10 hours ago, willmill97 said:

What a load of shite.

S7 ends with the wall down. Then:

S8 mainly focuses about the White Walkers culminating in their defeat (with Cersei actually  involved this time). 

S9 mainly focused about Cersei and the sack of Kings Landing.

S10 about Daenerys’ mad queen reign and demise.

If only we got something like this.

Yeah... I dunno about that. Sounds like the opposite of what happened with this. Too much happening too quickly.

That's just begging for filler. 

Daenerys should have died a while ago, and now she finally got what she had coming.

Finally got around to watching it, though missed the first 5 minutes and started from when Tyrion was looking for Jaime so not sure what happened before that. Can’t say I loved it but didn’t hate it as much as 4 and 5. Choked up at Drogon’s reaction. My biggest gripe was them yet again cutting out a big moment, the aftermath of Jon explaining what happened to Dany. That seems the sort of thing that would normally have taken up a whole episode.

I guess it’s a bit like LOST for me. Didn’t hate the ending but just disappointed with the direction the show went towards the end. At least with Lost though, it was heading that way for a while and didn’t feel as rushed. I was a huge fan of Dexter though so maybe I’m just numb to bad endings lol.

I liked how it seemed to be left slightly open-ended about Bran being the right choice, like when Tyrion looked shocked after Bran told him he knew this would happen all along as he clearly didn’t care about the fact that the civilians would die. And even when he was talking about how he’d have to keep searching for Drogon. Maybe he just wants him around simply just to fly around “You’ll never walk again, but you will fly” but my headcanon is that he has some ulterior motive even if that’s not what they were going for. 

Can’t help but be a bit disappointed with Jon’s arc. It was a fitting end for him in a way but the time spent with Bran and Sam finding out about his heritage feels like a bit of a waste of time now? I think I would’ve preferred an unhappy Jon ruling.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of how GoT got to the end this season, but I'm satisfied with it overall.

The big moments of the season were entertaining enough but the speedrun pace and lack of what made the show so great in the first place ,character development, really took what should have been an epic end to a decade with these characters and their stories and ended up with something rather mediocre in comparison to the rest of the series.

• Like 2

I'm still trying to process my feelings on the episode. I'll probably end up watching it again to help gather my thoughts, but these are my observations so far.

1) Someone in this thread mentioned the entire episode felt more like an epilogue than part of the story proper and I agree with that. I also agree with something my best friend found earlier, that this felt like an English paper that was wrote an hour before class because someone forgot about it.

2) One of the biggest reveals of last season that we were all led to believe was important meant absolutely nothing. There was literally no point to it at all except to showcase him following in the footsteps of his great uncle by denying his birth right to the throne and taking up with the Nights Watch. Yay for Jon being back where he wants to be, but they could've easily done that exact same story with him as Ned Stark's bastard and left him being the last male Targaryen out of it.

3)  I have always gotten weird vibes off of Bran and it's doubtful he'll make a good king. A good one for the time being while all this is still fresh in people's minds, yes, but everything is going to go right back to the way it was before once he dies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShepardNMDY said:

I told you all in an earlier post that I bought the book 1 after the most disappointing episode for me which was S8E5. And I bought it twice too, ebook+audiobook. Now, after the finale, I regret buying it, and what makes me even more doubtful about the whole book collection is not getting any palpable reaction from GRRM (except for the one I linked here) in regards to Dumb&Dumber and this extremely lame ending from episodes 4 to 6. As for Arya vs the Night King, I actually loved it, because her path was that of death, and she pretty much stared at death personified and vanquished it, and her whole training arc paid off. Dany, Jaime and even Torgo Nudho were ruined, and so were their arcs. Bran and Sansa are the most disliked Starks, I think, and they didn't deserve power.

Torgo Nudho and the unsullied are not Westerosi, nor do they had any right to dictate the fates of their prisoners or Westerosi laws. They should had been either killed or told to leave Westeros, since their queen was no more. They just went back to Essos anyway, and after the unsullied left, even with the bad writing and all, stupid Bran could have issued a royal pardon to Jon instead of banning him to the Crows.

Either Dany should have been queen (without going mad, and Jon only telling her about his heritage in the finale and adding something like "As a northman, I can't retribute your love for me anymore. I am leaving now, to live my life. I don't want the crown." to which she would say it broke her heart but it would pass, and that she respects him), or if she had gone mad (in a more acceptable way than the ridiculous non-sensical fiasco depicted in S8E5), then Jon should had been crowned king. Cersei could have been pardoned by the new queen and stripped of all of her riches, but not executed, out of respect and friendship for Tyrion, or she could have had a way more satisfying death for us fans, but in a way that also was justifiable, so it wouldn't depress Tyrion and make him mad towards Dany (this balance, well executed, would had been actually genius to pull off).

What is also sad now is that Sor Jorah Mormont fought and died for absolutely nothing.

I am honestly not sure if I'll still love to rewatch anymore of this show in the future, now knowing how mediocre its ending is, how unfulfilling Cersei's death was, and specially how Dany couldn't be the person she wanted to be, not because of herself, but because of Dumb&Dumber. The books, same. I think they might be just as worthless now too, specially with GRRM's silence on all of this and his supposed support of Dumb&Dumber, and not to mention the whole "the ending will be the same" bullshit talk.

As for the prequel show... honestly, it's the same. Why care about it at all, when the main ending from the main storyline has been ruined?

The only thing that consoles me is that when I get my PS4, it will probably tell me and let me live, through gaming, way better stories than the now destroyed former beloved series, so that's something to look forward to.

That's exactly how I feel about this whole mess, can't describe it better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

...Anyway, so what else is on?

Watch peaky blinders, It’s another phenomenal show and season 5 is supposed to come this year. I’d say it’s up there with game of thrones as one of the best tv shows ever made. 

Last episode was a roller coaster of emotions for me. Got excited when I saw Tormund was in it, then very disappointed when he didn't have any speaking lines. So disappointing. 

Other notes:

- Loved the shot of Drogon taking off from behind Daenarys, beautiful. 

- What happened to the Dothraki? If they are still wandering Westeros that is going to be a big problem given their culture... 

- Hooray for Sam becoming a Maester! Dream accomplished.

- I missed Cersei. Lena Heady did a wonderful job with her acting for her character, even with what little she had to work with this season. 

Oh, and also Bran's statement implying he knew he'd be named king means he can also see the future. So he could have seen the burning of King's Landing too and didn't stop it. He has been the driving force behind the events of the last two seasons leading up to him taking the throne. 

Ergo, Bran is only pretending to not want the throne, and he is the real villain. Doesn't help his case that he also has many sociopathic traits. A king without empathy, who views those around him the same way we view ants. It'll be great. 

Edited by SolarCat02
  • Like 2

GEORGE RR MARTIN HAS SPOKEN. He's very grateful to D&D and the whole cast and HBO and everyone involved. 

About the ending of the books, he only said this:

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show?  Different?

Well… yes.  And no.  And yes.   And no.   And yes.   And no.   And yes.

The complete post: http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/20/an-ending/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Well, thanks to this shitty finale to this shitty season by these shitty writers, I have little to no interest at the moment on the spinoffs. Hopefully that'll change if and when they become reality.  I hope D & D are black listed from working on anything else. Ever

Dude, they are going to be in the crew working for Star Wars Episode 9: Brace yourself. This is gonna hurt badly.

51 minutes ago, Kaiwan said:

Seems like they want to make Bran a villain or at least a self-centered character in the end but executed poorly.

He is, funny thing is that he was missing from a whole season, had not done anything, and suddenly he is your king because of his story and treasonous imp said so, and everyone is ok with it, and claiming it made sense and crap.

He is like, hey cousin, I know I could've prevented the death of millions, and screwed you and your life in order to become king, but off to the wall with you.

only for Aegon freaking Targaryen to Kneel to this smirking, manipulative asshole, but of coarse not Arya or Sansa, no they wouldn't kneel, why should they, they are starks, the good people, after all.

bittersweet ending my ass, more like happy ending to starks (and Bronn), bad or irrelevant ending to anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Kaiwan said:

Seems like they want to make Bran a villain or at least a self-centered character in the end but executed poorly.

He is the villain. The show made it seem that he knew he was going to be king which meant he knew about the millions of people that would die in kings landing. There is also the theory that he was controlling Drogon due to a vision he had of the future in season 4. 

• Like 2