Game of Thrones - last season, episode comments - SPOILERS -

BG_painter

Saw this in the main page and signed in just to leave ma thoughts.

Disappointed with the ending,this whole season felt pretty meh and badly written with plotholes and things left unexplained...they delivered the surprises GoT is famous for but in this season felt like they didn't do it right.Jon character deserved more,they treated him like crap in the end...I must say though that I was surprised that wasn't Arya who killed Daenerys after they basically screamed she would in episode 5.Also one of the most disappointing things was Cersei's death...love how they made her likeable when she gets her revenge on season 6 but she was always a character to hate and I wanted to see her have a terrible death at the hands of Daenerys,specially after what she's done in this season.One thing that I liked about GoT is that the good guys lose unexpectedly but the antagonists always get what they deserve...it's frustrating to see the bad guys win over and over again and it takes a while but it's satisfying to see those bastards suffer.And Cersei who was an antagonist since season 1 and last one alive gets a quiet death with her love?...didn't even felt like GoT.Guess that was done to please her fans.

I really liked season 7 but the show really went downhill after it fell off the books.2 years of wait...you'd expect them to do a better job with the writing for what is probably the most famous TV show in the world.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Welmosca said:

Saw this in the main page and signed in just to leave ma thoughts.

Disappointed with the ending,this whole season felt pretty meh and badly written with plotholes and things left unexplained...they delivered the surprises GoT is famous for but in this season felt like they didn't do it right.Jon character deserved more,they treated him like crap in the end...I must say though that I was surprised that wasn't Arya who killed Daenerys after they basically screamed she would in episode 5.Also one of the most disappointing things was Cersei's death...love how they made her likeable when she gets her revenge on season 6 but she was always a character to hate and I wanted to see her have a terrible death at the hands of Daenerys,specially after what she's done in this season.One thing that I liked about GoT is that the good guys lose unexpectedly but the antagonists always get what they deserve...it's frustrating to see the bad guys win over and over again and it takes a while but it's satisfying to see those bastards suffer.And Cersei who was an antagonist since season 1 and last one alive gets a quiet death with her love?...didn't even felt like GoT.Guess that was done to please her fans.

I really liked season 7 but the show really went downhill after it fell off the books.2 years of wait...you'd expect them to do a better job with the writing for what is probably the most famous TV show in the world.

Welcome to the topic! And thanks for sharing your opinion.I guess it's pretty much a world concensus now that the last season sucks :giggle:

6 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

Welcome to the topic! And thanks for sharing your opinion.I guess it's pretty much a world concensus now that the last season sucks :giggle:

Cheers mate.I was reading the comments now and am surprised,didn't expect this much agreement about the last season sucking haha.

• Like 1

Not sure it is a world concensus but did have moments like that and did get through the story faster than it needed

Brienne being knighted was justice served.

Battle of Winterfell - Epic in my view, really well done and held the tension to the end. Given the number of twists there was a point where I though they would lose.

I got frustrated with the next episode - having known they had been betrayed by Cersei they casually return to Dragonstone not anticipating an ambush and then what is essentially a giant crossbow has "homing" arrows that take out a dragon in a few seconds. Then losing Messandei…..

What happened at Kings Landing was not Dany going mad but getting angry and even and using psychological warfare on Cersei by getting to her witness the destruction she had sown. Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say. Her anger was to be expected after all she had lost getting to this point. Soldiers murdering and raping a sacked city was everyday stuff in the Middle Ages.

The episode was also epic.

She went 'Mad' when she made the speech in the last episode for me and Jon had no choice.

The small council was a little 'Disney' fied for my taste but was designed to show hope.

And Jon back with Ghost was magic

Nerd time : Nobles choosing a King on merit rather than being the son of the previous King was called a 'Witan' in ye olde England.....I know that as I watch the "Last Kingdom" as well.

Look at the overall experience over 8 seasons and it is the best TV show ever made with the possible exception of "The Sopranos"

The books are superb and worth the read, the TV version deviated along time ago

Anyway, that's my view.....

4 hours ago, Ringtonwhaledog said:

Not sure it is a world concensus but did have moments like that and did get through the story faster than it needed

Brienne being knighted was justice served.

Battle of Winterfell - Epic in my view, really well done and held the tension to the end. Given the number of twists there was a point where I though they would lose.

I got frustrated with the next episode - having known they had been betrayed by Cersei they casually return to Dragonstone not anticipating an ambush and then what is essentially a giant crossbow has "homing" arrows that take out a dragon in a few seconds. Then losing Messandei…..

What happened at Kings Landing was not Dany going mad but getting angry and even and using psychological warfare on Cersei by getting to her witness the destruction she had sown. Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say. Her anger was to be expected after all she had lost getting to this point. Soldiers murdering and raping a sacked city was everyday stuff in the Middle Ages.

The episode was also epic.

She went 'Mad' when she made the speech in the last episode for me and Jon had no choice.

The small council was a little 'Disney' fied for my taste but was designed to show hope.

And Jon back with Ghost was magic

Nerd time : Nobles choosing a King on merit rather than being the son of the previous King was called a 'Witan' in ye olde England.....I know that as I watch the "Last Kingdom" as well.

Look at the overall experience over 8 seasons and it is the best TV show ever made with the possible exception of "The Sopranos"

The books are superb and worth the read, the TV version deviated along time ago

Anyway, that's my view.....

Definitely agree about the homing arrows. It’s a giant dragon flying very quickly, and apparently Euron’s luck has no boundaries in that episode since both arrows hit the dragon within just a couple of seconds. It’s a fantasy show, it doesn’t need to be realistic, but it was clear they wanted to kill off the dragon as fast as possible and get it out of the way to continue rushing the story. Could have at least tried to execute it a bit better. 

14 minutes ago, mcfries6066 said:

Definitely agree about the homing arrows. It’s a giant dragon flying very quickly, and apparently Euron’s luck has no boundaries in that episode since both arrows hit the dragon within just a couple of seconds. It’s a fantasy show, it doesn’t need to be realistic, but it was clear they wanted to kill off the dragon as fast as possible and get it out of the way to continue rushing the story. Could have at least tried to execute it a bit better. 

I did like the sudden surprise effect of the first arrow. The dragons' themes playing, then suddenly bam there's a ballista arrow. But the next two in quick succession felt too unrealistic especially given it looked like just Euron was firing them. I remember looking at my husband and saying she must be having a nightmare or something. They could have fixed that scene by having more ballistas firing at once and some of them miss, adding a little more "limping" to the dragon's flying to show he is still injured from the White Walkers at Winter fell, and reducing the number of ships in Euron's fleet to just three or something so it truly looked like a secret ambush.

This is Game of Thrones, not a How to Train Your Dragon spin off. And actually from watching Netflix's Race to the Edge with my two year old all week, DreamWorks handles dragons versus ships more believably.

I have no objections to the plot they picked for this season. They put down a really good framework to build on. It's just that they forgot to add almost anything else, so it's not engaging the way the earlier seasons were. 

I mean, it used to care a lot more about showing character development. 

https://youtu.be/O8ES_ElI6Wg

On 25/05/2019 at 8:01 PM, matigrosso91 said:

So, anyone is gonna watch the documentary tomorrow, The Last Watch? I know i'll do, i'm not ready to say goodbye yet 1f605.png

Yeah, it's gonna be good. I hope they bring back actors like Richard Madden and Sean Bean just to hit me in the feels.

• Like 1

George R R Martin was a co-executive producer for the show. Anyone thinking the books will end dramatically different to the show are wrong. I’m not saying it will be the 100% same but the outcome will be. George R R Martin has made it clear in interviews that he sat down and discussed the ending and how he wanted it to end. The hate that David Benioff and D. B. Weiss is unfounded. 

The show couldn’t please everyone and write the ending everyone wanted. 

Personally I liked it. That’s my opinion. The show has been groundbreaking and will be admired for many many years.

• Like 3

I get that it was similar to how George wanted it to be, but many people feel like it was rushed and both HBO and George were settling for 10 episodes, and possibly even more seasons. The build up of the Night King for years and him dying so quick is upsetting. I mean, I was only 9 when season 1 came out so it isn't as bad for me, but for people who have watched since 2011 I feel their pain.

Edited by JAiME_Asgardian
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Gorirakujira said:

George R R Martin was a co-executive producer for the show. Anyone thinking the books will end dramatically different to the show are wrong. I’m not saying it will be the 100% same but the outcome will be. George R R Martin has made it clear in interviews that he sat down and discussed the ending and how he wanted it to end. The hate that David Benioff and D. B. Weiss is unfounded. 

The show couldn’t please everyone and write the ending everyone wanted. 

Personally I liked it. That’s my opinion. The show has been groundbreaking and will be admired for many many years.

I think every1 in the thread made it very clear already that the problem was HOW they got to the end and not WHAT the ending would be.

As a book reader I can garantee to you there are at least 5 major characters not present in the show that might affect the turn out of the story. Although the conclusion might be the same. the path and construction for said conclusion will be way more detailed and worked in the books. Trusting Martin's writting, that is.

1 minute ago, JAiME_Asgardian said:

I get that it was similar to how George wanted it to be, but many people feel like it was rushed and both HBO and George were settling for 10 episodes, and possibly even more seasons. The build up of the Night King for years and him dying so quick is upsetting. I mean, I was only 9 when season 1 came out so it isn't as bad foe me, but for people who have watched since 2011 I feel their pain.

yep, that's it.

• Like 2