Game of Thrones - last season, episode comments - SPOILERS -

BG_painter

Im surprised with all the praise this episode is getting.

I mean, I had just finished watching the friggen thing, and could barely make anything of whatever was going on, it was just so dark and hectic, maybe other channels broadcasted a brighter version.

And finally a big thank you to dnd for the anticlimactic BS of an ending to what could've been one of the best villains on screen.

Spoiler

yeah, just sneak on him and stab him in the leg, cooooooool

I hope the next battle is done better, but im not holding my cups here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hsn963 said:

I mean, I had just finished watching the friggen thing, and could barely make anything of whatever was going on, it was just so dark and hectic, maybe other channels broadcasted a brighter version.

I think it was supposed to be dark. I turned out all the lights a few minutes in. It seems like a lot of people did that in order to see anything.

Definitely watch it again though. It takes another viewing to see everything and let it process it.

I really enjoyed the episode. Overall acting was fantastic. 

The entire fight was so well executed from start to finish. When the Dothraki went ahead and disappeared into the night, that scene sent a chill down my spine. 

I really have no words to express the emotional roller coaster I went through in this episode. Amazing. 

Maybe I liked it because I didn't come with too much expectations from the night king.

He's not supposed to be the "final boss fight" like so many people believed. When you look back you can see the main threat was always Cersei - she's unpredictable. 

Now the real battle of the minds begins. Battle of humans. Which is what the show is all about - who's gonna end up calming the throne? I'm hyped! 

Clearly Cersei has more resources to win this last battle. Dany lost almost her entire army, her 2 dragons are badly injured and Winterfell is a complete mess. 

• Like 2

Finally caught up.

This episode did something I love. It remained dark. I get so fucking tired of shows happening at night or in forests and they make it light enough through editing that we can see everything. I've been outside plenty of times at night with either no lights on or in areas with 1 streetlight every now and then and you can't see jack shit. It really brought the terror of the situation out in this episode.

I figured Jorah would live to carry on his bloodline since I had Lyanna pegged to die. I called her killing the giant the moment he broke through the gate even after he swiped her ass left. ?

My favorite scene was Arya stealthing her way through that room. She's one of the few characters we've seen actually have development and changes and becoming one of, if not the only real, assassin-like character was a good fit. (unlike her useless ass sister that gained nothing other than being able to make decisions) On the other hand, I didn't like how she left the Hound and Melisandre all of a sudden because that wasn't really explained or a great lead in to what she did next.

^I would like to know how she got by everyone to get that close to the Night King. It's somewhat reasonable to expect the undead army not to do anything since he kinda had them on standby mode, but one of his generals seem to have noticed her. Was she wading through the crowd or did she actually run right by everyone because you'd think the general would have done something.

The scene where Bran sent all those ravens into flight shouldn't be forgotten. Whatever he did there will have some significance later on.

Wasn't sure on the theories floating around about the crypt bodies being used. Something about it being protected by magic or something like that? 

Music playing that @matigrosso91 posted reminded me of the ending of Metro Exodus and really made me enjoy the ending of the episode more.

We know that some amount of time has to pass between this battle and the next. Yara will eventually return with a naval force and that alone should take time. I hope that time is somewhat respected for the rest of the season. 

Now for my video game moments.

• Night King is a max level sorcerer with slight warrior abilities. Powers include necromancy and summoning nuclear winter. Fire resistance is maxed, but defense from being stabbed from behind was sacrificed and an assassin ended up being his downfall.
  • Arya has near perfect dexterity and evasion, but mobs are her weakness.
  • Jon needs work on his stealth. When he was detected my brother and I went into Assassin's Creed mode and said "Desynchronized" at the same time lol. Warrior abilities and Endurance are off the charts.
  • Samwell Tarly has last stand activated for a good portion of this battle. Not a good online player.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, hsn963 said:

58 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

This episode did something I love. It remained dark. I get so fucking tired of shows happening at night or in forests and they make it light enough through editing that we can see everything. I've been outside plenty of times at night with either no lights on or in areas with 1 streetlight every now and then and you can't see jack shit. It really brought the terror of the situation out in this episode.

My favorite scene was Arya stealthing her way through that room. On the other hand, I didn't like how she left the Hound and Melisandre all of a sudden because that wasn't really explained or a great lead in to what she did next.

^I would like to know how she got by everyone to get that close to the Night King. It's somewhat reasonable to expect the undead army not to do anything since he kinda had them on standby mode, but one of his generals seem to have noticed her. Was she wading through the crowd or did she actually run right by everyone because you'd think the general would have done something.

The scene where Bran sent all those ravens into flight shouldn't be forgotten. Whatever he did there will have some significance later on.

I felt like a blind person watching this episode.  I get why in some shows/movies it looks like morning when it's nighttime (so the viewers can see it).  While I didn't enjoy that, I guess it worked here...

I didn't hear the beginning of the talk between Melissandre and Arya about the eyes, but as soon as Arya came flying through the dust like a sugar glider to ultimately kill the Night King it made sense.  I suppose it was to built suspense.

@BG_painter mentioned green eyes, so perhaps Arya will be the one to kill Cersei?  (Of course, now that confirmed it, doesn't the theory of Arya killing Cersei conflict with some prophecy Cersei got in the woods from a Wildling?)  It appeared that the Night King was controlling the Walkers (near the tree at least), so I figured that's why none of the Walkers attacked.  As for the General maybe he figured Arya would be killed anyway.

As for Bran and the ravens I thought that Bran "warged" himself into them to locate the Night King and watch his movements until he made it to the tree.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

I felt like a blind person watching this episode.  I get why in some shows/movies it looks like morning when it's nighttime (so the viewers can see it).  While I didn't enjoy that, I guess it worked here...

For me when it's supposed to be that dark and editing makes it near day time for viewers it breaks immersion. During hurricane season when the power would go out if you went out at night time the visibility was shit especially with a storm/clouds hiding the moon and stars. It was night time and basically nuclear winter here and we got to see what the soldiers saw. Very little except scary faces here and there until they made it to the lit areas of the castle. I remember some back roads where I live where there's no streetlights at all and it makes driving very tense because even with your brights on you can't see much.

But when you watch a horror movie or show and there's a scene where someone's hiding and visibility is clear most people scratch their heads like "how the fuck can you not see them hiding right there?" They forget through editing we see more than what should be possible. (unfortunately I can't even think of any specific scenes from anything right now. :facepalm:)

I didn't hear the beginning of the talk between Melissandre and Arya about the eyes, but as soon as Arya came flying through the dust like a sugar glider to ultimately kill the Night King it made sense.  I suppose it was to built suspense.

@BG_painter mentioned green eyes, so perhaps Arya will be the one to kill Cersei?  (Of course, now that confirmed it, doesn't the theory of Arya killing Cersei conflict with some prophecy Cersei got in the woods from a Wildling?)  It appeared that the Night King was controlling the Walkers (near the tree at least), so I figured that's why none of the Walkers attacked.  As for the General maybe he figured Arya would be killed anyway.

My brother reminded me that Melisandre's talk of eye colors is probably what spurred Arya into action. I didn't pick up on it though because the scene just ended so suddenly that I thought Arya had found a way out of the room for everyone after the whole "not today" line for the god of death. What kills the scene for me is that now it's going to be expected if Arya has to kill Cersei the only thing that will make that death different is Arya will be able to use her face stealing.

^which reminds me...can Arya pose as anyone who's not her size?

I can see the arrogance angle working for the general not doing anything, but only for the generals and king. I also thought maybe the king could see through the eyes of his generals and that's how he caught her when he did. 

I read a lot of people being angry as hell with the night king's death. Like it should have been more epic or someone else, but there's no way to write his death well. The guy fucking picked a dragon out of the sky with a spear. He can raise the dead, he can resist dragon's fire, and he can obviously defend himself in a fight. No character we've seen can match him in any area the only way to dispose of him was through cloak and dagger tactics. It's one of the reasons why I wish magic had played a bigger role and was explained a little better.

As for Bran and the ravens I thought that Bran "warged" himself into them to locate the Night King and watch his movements until he made it to the tree.  

He came back awfully late to me and dispatched a lot of ravens. 

Eh, I don't know, I'm actually quite conflicted about the episode. I mean, it had really great moments but ... it all felt... a little bit predictable? Some of the characters had a very thick plot armor. And the Night King's death, to me, was a bit underwhelming. I was expecting some sort of big sacrifice (although yeah, Theon did sacrifice himself but you could see that coming already in the previous episode) or something but. Well, not disappointed it was Arya though. Just thought they would build it up more.

I kind of like the idea of Jaime killing Cersei.

There's a shot in season 7 where they stand on the top of the map of Westeros in which Cersei stands on top of the Neck and Jaime on the Fingers. There is also the Valonqar prophecy in the books: “When your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.” Valonqar means little brother.

But then again, he is already a kingslayer so I don't know if they would make him murder his sister as well.

Edited by novemberrx
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

1.  For me when it's supposed to be that dark and editing makes it near day time for viewers it breaks immersion...  But when you watch a horror movie or show and there's a scene where someone's hiding and visibility is clear most people scratch their heads like "how the fuck can you not see them hiding right there?" They forget through editing we see more than what should be possible. (unfortunately I can't even think of any specific scenes from anything right now. :facepalm:)

2.  My brother reminded me that Melisandre's talk of eye colors is probably what spurred Arya into action. I didn't pick up on it though because the scene just ended so suddenly that I thought Arya had found a way out of the room for everyone after the whole "not today" line for the god of death. What kills the scene for me is that now it's going to be expected if Arya has to kill Cersei the only thing that will make that death different is Arya will be able to use her face stealing.

^which reminds me...can Arya pose as anyone who's not her size?

3.  I can see the arrogance angle working for the general not doing anything, but only for the generals and king. I also thought maybe the king could see through the eyes of his generals and that's how he caught her when he did. 

4.  He came back awfully late to me and dispatched a lot of ravens. 

1.  Yes, I understand what you are saying about the darkness in real life.  I too have been in living situations where there is no light at night and it can be scary.  Regardless, I do find that the darkness worked in this episode (I was just a little disappointed because I felt like I was missing action).  It really built that tension up and made viewers wonder, beginning with the Dothraki, what was happening out on the battlefield.  As for horror movies/shows I get what you mean - I used to watch a lot of horror B-movies on Netflix and I was like "wtf how can they not see?" and then the realization would hit me.

2.  I'm going to say yes.  She did change from a female to a male (Walder Frey), so maybe even height can be duplicated.

3.  Oh yeah nice!  Didn't even think about the Night King being able to see through the General's eyes!

4.  Originally, I had asked my friend why Bran wasn't back yet when the Night King had arrived.  I sort of dismissed it that maybe Bran was watching him up until the final moment.  Seems rather silly.  I mean, Bran could have just looked at the Night King with his own eyes at that point...  If the ravens were being sent somewhere, where would they be going?

1 minute ago, MooseSketts said:

3.  Oh yeah nice!  Didn't even think about the Night King being able to see through the General's eyes!

Honestly it made me think of the series Naruto and only because the general moved as if he noticed Arya and that's pretty much when the Night King reacted. If the general hadn't moved I wouldn't have thought about it. Another explanation, even if there's no basis, is some sort of telepathic communication. I think the general definitely saw Arya though and that's why the Night King caught her, but without any vocal communication we're left to guessing.

1 minute ago, MooseSketts said:

4.  Originally, I had asked my friend why Bran wasn't back yet when the Night King had arrived.  I sort of dismissed it that maybe Bran was watching him up until the final moment.  Seems rather silly.  I mean, Bran could have just looked at the Night King with his own eyes at that point...  If the ravens were being sent somewhere, where would they be going?

The few places I could see the ravens going are to wherever Yara is, King's Landing, and maybe beyond the wall again.

A little too dark with a weird filter to make it harder to see.  Also agree, would have been more impactful with a more major character dying.  Jorah was on borrowed time as it was.

The Dothraki’s lights being extinguished in the distance was a powerful sight.  Not sure why they were sent out there to die, not the smartest strategy.

Why did the Red Woman purposefully take off her cloak to die?  She had enough of life?  Lyanna Mormont went out like a boss.

A little anti-climatic that Arya found just stab the Night King and that was the end of everything they built up for all of these seasons.  

A lot of the army is gone but with 2 dragons and Bran’s powers, it will not end well for Cersei.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Why did the Red Woman purposefully take off her cloak to die?  She had enough of life?  Lyanna Mormont went out like a boss.

She fulfilled her purpose. The night is not that dark and full of terrors anymore, i suppose. :giggle:

I see everbody talking about how dark it was everywhere, I must have a very good tv because we had no problems here :giggle: Maybe u guys should re-think adjusting the settings?? :awesome: lol ?

Ah... one last thing. No1 thought the night king could be killed. So NO1 killed it. ;) Get what I am saying?

Edited by BG_painter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

The few places I could see the ravens going are to wherever Yara is, King's Landing, and maybe beyond the wall again.

The only thing is isn't everything pretty much dead beyond the wall since the dead marched through?

46 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

She fulfilled her purpose. The night is not that dark and full of terrors anymore, i suppose. :giggle:

I see everbody talking about how dark it was everywhere, I must have a very good tv because we had no problems here :giggle: Maybe u guys should re-think adjusting the settings?? :awesome: lol 1f602.png

Ah... one last thing. No1 thought the night king could be killed. So NO1 killed it. ;) Get what I am saying?

My god that is brilliant lol.  My TV brightness was up.  Maybe I'm starting to go blind playing too many video games orz

14 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

The only thing is isn't everything pretty much dead beyond the wall since the dead marched through?

My god that is brilliant lol.  My TV brightness was up.  Maybe I'm starting to go blind playing too many video games orz

A friend of my said that to me, she said she saw in in social media :giggle:

MetalGearSolid2-620x.jpg

You will ruin your eyes playing so close to the tv.

• Like 1

I sat on the edge of the sofa the entire time, what an episode!

Other than some main characters having incredible stamina and some plot armor, everything was intense. The Dothraki charging in and seeing all the flames go out was a great scene as well as the Dance of Dragons 2.0. Of course Ayra's defeat of the Night King was a shocker to me. I thought we'd for sure see Jon (Aegon?) and him square off and go toe to frozen toe, but Ayra with the same move she used sparring with Brienne had me cheering. Sorry neighbors!

Can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out now that the focus is on the Iron Throne.

Edited by Sofa King

i agree with the few that think this episode was a bit hard to follow. it was bad enough when the white walkers started attacking with so many bodies on the screen, but sure lets add a terrible snow flurry to the mix so you can REALLY see whats going on. during the dragon fight i had NO idea who was being attacked, or bit, or whatever lol. dont get me wrong i loved the episode regardless because i love the series. but my other gripe is that the menace, the white walkers, are built up from season to season to just have the fight really end in one episode?? and in such a miserable way, it definitely felt rushed.

i wasnt expecting a 10 episode fight like in animes but, meh, coulda been better from the army of death, the anxiety they gave you until now to just be snuffed out so quickly lol

Edited by Atom1cMoose

A few years ago, i read somewhere a theory that could be extremely shocking. Again, is just a theory, so maybe doesn't happen; but it claims that the Night King wasn't the only Night King. Instead, every time someone kills the Night King, becomes himself the new King.

Just imagine how hard could be watch Arya becames the Night Queen.

I know the series doesn't deep much in the White Walkers history, so i seriously doubt that they'll go that way. But idw, i just feel there's something more behind this victory.

20 minutes ago, matigrosso91 said:

A few years ago, i read somewhere a theory that could be extremely shocking. Again, is just a theory, so maybe doesn't happen; but it claims that the Night King wasn't the only Night King. Instead, every time someone kills the Night King, becomes himself the new King.

Just imagine how hard could be watch Arya becames the Night Queen.

I know the series doesn't deep much in the White Walkers history, so i seriously doubt that they'll go that way. But idw, i just feel there's something more behind this victory.

Read quite a few comments by people about this. Can't tell if people are reading too much into the stare down and head motions by the Night King or if maybe there was some sort of weird understanding between him and Bran.

1 hour ago, OneSkillPoint said:

I'm just mad Jon Snow didn't get that one on one battle. I don't care that Arya killed him. I care that they built up a Jon vs Night King 1v1 for years and just dropped it.

Also, I hope Cersei wins, but they'll probably have a happy ending to appease people.  

I thought that Jon and the Night King were going to have a 1 vs 1 when Jon ran after him.  Alas, that did not happen.

Well I can finally stop avoiding spoilers (I wait because my mom likes me to watch it with her). That episode didn’t go at all the way I thought it would lol. It seemed quite random in places. The dead were on their doorstep at the end of the last episode but Melisandre has time to stroll on in at the start of this one? I think she could’ve more believably just turned up in an earlier episode or been the burnt girl in disguise.

Wasn’t a fan of the way it was shot either, was way too dark throughout and for the first hour I didn’t know wtf was going on. I thought a couple of times that Brienne and Sam (and wtf was he doing this episode?) were getting stabbed only for them to be fine in the next scene. 

I’d read a theory about Arya being the one to kill the NK but thought it seemed too random to happen. I find Jon a bit of a dull main character but agree with OSP that it seemed like a waste of a build up to not have him have a one on one. As my mom said, the NK cheated when he lifted his arms after Jon caught up. On the bright side at least nobody can say that Arya only killed the Freys.

And I’ve always loved Cersei as a villain but I’m a little disappointed that the army of the dead were all taken out in one episode and Cersei and Euron’s army are all we have left. 

• Like 1

I found it lame and simple.I think they killed the NK so fast because it costs a lot to keep an army of dead in the show.

It almost feels like they killed him off-screen and a witness said he saw him falling from the dragon and break his neck or something.

I hope the battle for the Iron Throne will be better

• Like 2

I was a bit disappointed all in all really! I hate it when characters get saved from nowhere...

1) Jon was surrounded by wights on all sides, then next time we cut to him he's somehow cleared a path, then Dany comes from nowhere and saves him!

2) Dany gets thrown off Drogon surrounded by wights, Jorah from nowhere saves her!

3) Sam was on the floor getting fucked, somehow survived!

4) Arya getting thrown to the floor, and Berric appears from nowhere with a flaming sword... (Why were Berric and Clegane even inside the castle as I don't think they saw her trying to hide?) There's probably more too, this was just off the top of my head.

Jaime, Brienne, Pod, the Hound, and loads of "extras" were all surrounded on the castle walls, and just like the "red shirts" in Star Trek, you knew the other guys would die and the mains live! Also, at the end getting pushed back into a wall for ages, they could have easily got shanked (let alone crushed) from there! And as much as I love Jaime, he has one hand, he should have died, and Sam, he's useless, no way he would have survived.

And how did all the Dothraki just die immediately lol... They can kill thousands of skilled horse riders in seconds but take an hour to not even kill a couple of main characters... Their plot armour is almost embarrassing at this point!

Jon is my favourite character (especially in the books), but it's laughable how many times he should have died in the show by now. The whole thing has moved over to a "Hollywood" like affair where the goody always wins and it's predictable and you know your favourite character won't die, so they can appease the fans! Kinda like Darrell in The Walking Dead!

The way Arya killed the Night King at the end was also extremely abrupt and felt so rushed. How did she sneak past thousands of wights and about 10 white walkers? 

Surely they've gotta make something about the mark the Night King left on Bran's arm, maybe that's how he comes back? But with only 3 episodes left, I can't see it happening!

And no, I'm not just hating for the sake of it, I love the show; it's probably my second favourite live-action series of all time, behind LOST, but this episode (while still great in parts), just left me with a sour taste in my mouth. The main reason being the plot armour Jon, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Tyrion etc have. 

Sorry for the essay but yeah, felt good to moan at something!

• Like 1