Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

HusKy

Backwards compatibility is nice but wish it was also for PS3, honestly i'm in no hurry for a PS5 considering the amount of unplayed games i have for PS3,4 and Vita xD and i just hope the price doesn't become to ridiculous

• Like 1

For what games do you guys want ps3 BC ?

Most if not all actual exclusive games have either been ported/remade or have gotten a sequel thats better.

Pretty much only a handfull of japanese games are stuck on ps3 notably (mediocre) jrpgs.

I'd much rather have a vastly expanded ps1 and ps2 offering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

I just can't see this being only 500 dollars with the current specs without them skimping on something. The 2nd gen ryzen 7 2700x costs 300 dollars, and this one is supposed to be using the upcoming 3rd gen ryzen. SSD's are still very expensive too, I expect it to only being 1 terabyte max. Not to mention a GPU with ray tracing will be expensive as well, even the radeon rx580 and 590 are still in the 200-300 dollar range

Sony has a partnership with AMD, as do MS and Nintendo, so they probably get a preferred rate.

I bought my PS3 in 2012 and my PS4 in 2017, I'm in no rush for the PS5. Too many games to play on Vita and PS4 at the moment.

I'm still hoping for a new handheld console from Sony but a girl can dream.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

It specifically stated PS4. Better than nothing I suppose.

@ topic - I am reminded of a person on another forum who argued with me that the next PlayStation wouldn't have physical media. Oh you!

I might have missed it as I skimmed the article, but is there any mention of an optical drive?

I wouldn't assume PS4 backwards compatibility means physical disc compatibility. If it can play downloaded digital games, it's still compatible.

I remain on the side that physical media isn't going anywhere soon, but again I didn't see any confirmation in that article.

Personally I'm hoping it actually has a 4K drive, as that is what is stopping me from upgrading to a PS4 Pro at the moment, even though I stream most of my movies.

3 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I might have missed it as I skimmed the article, but is there any mention of an optical drive?

I wouldn't assume PS4 backwards compatibility means physical disc compatibility. If it can play downloaded digital games, it's still compatible.

I remain on the side that physical media isn't going anywhere soon, but again I didn't see any confirmation in that article.

Personally I'm hoping it actually has a 4K drive, as that is what is stopping me from upgrading to a PS4 Pro at the moment, even though I stream most of my movies.

" For example, the next-gen console will still accept physical media; it won’t be a download-only machine. Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console. "

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

" For example, the next-gen console will still accept physical media; it won’t be a download-only machine. Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console. "

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Gotcha. I missed it. I did admit it was a quick skim read :)

Well, I'm excited. It sounds like Sony learned a lot from both their failed PS3 launch as well as their amazing PS4 launch and are working to make the PS5 another amazing console. Everything I read in that article sounds great, I look forward to the official reveal of the system. 

Parker

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monteblommie said:

For what games do you guys want ps3 BC ?

Most if not all actual exclusive games have either been ported/remade or have gotten a sequel thats better.

Pretty much only a handfull of japanese games are stuck on ps3 notably (mediocre) jrpgs.

I'd much rather have a vastly expanded ps1 and ps2 offering.

Nier

Ratchet & Clank Future

Infamous 1-2

Killzone 1-3

Resistance 1-3

Enslaved

God of War: Ascension

Final Fantasy XIII trilogy

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Mass Effect 1-3

Crysis 1-3

Dead Space 1-3

Dragon Age 1-2

etc etc

Handful... yeah. If you want these, you need a PS3. Or a PC, but good luck earning trophies there :D 

Edit: okay not all exclusives, but still a lot!

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 1

i like the backwards compatibility but i'm in no rush to go out and buy the system. i hate buying first batch because you don't know what risk of issues that may pop up before they get ironed out

plus i'm still collecting out of print ps3/vita games, i can't ditch out on that dream yet.

Edited by lordguwa

"Not coming in 2019 (I guess most likely 2nd half of 2020)"

That doesn't bother me in the slightest, my backlog will keep me more than occupied until then (if not a few years longer than that). ?

"Will include high performance SSD"

Before I wouldn't have cared about that too much, but after upgrading my PC to a SSD, I realize how much of a pro that would be... however it does bring up another concern, the price. If the system itself is going to have a single SSD for everything (I'm assuming at least 1TB), that'll probably bring up the price of the console an extra $100 or more. :hmm: 

"Will support physical games"

I'm seriously worried about the future of gaming if that even has to be mentioned. ? If the day ever comes where systems are digital only, that's when I'm done... I could only imagine how big future games are going to be, if I had to download everything, I'd be lucky to even be able to play a singe game every couple months. :facepalm: 

"PS4 + PSVR back compatibility confirmed"

That's great, because if it is true, that means I'll most likely skip out on buying a PS4 Pro model now (assuming the PS5 will do everything the Pro can & more). So that'll help me save up the cash I need for it. ^_^

Overall it is pretty interesting news about it. However I doubt I'll be getting it on day-1 no matter what I hear about it... with the SSD, I wouldn't be surprised if the system cost $600 or more at launch, there's no way I'm dropping that much cash on a game system at release (especially after Sony kinda screwed over the day-1 PS4 owners with the Pro version afterwords). <_< The PS4 was $400 at launch, that's about the hight of my comfort zone (that's why it was the first system I ever pre-ordered). I also learned to wait a while for a decent amount of good games to be release first before getting a new console (I didn't get much playtime with the PS4 until probably a year after it released).

3 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

I'll need a pretty big incentive to buy a PS5 for anything beyond $200. Push for some actual genre defining strategy games that take advantage of these specs, and I'll be far more inclined to make the plunge.

I'm going to assume this was sarcasm. Has the cheapest price for the PS4 in the US ever been below $200?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, majob said:

I'm worried about the SSD though. They have great performance but they also have a fairly short life span compared to a standard HDD. I don't want a $500 brick later on down the line, plus, what about support for external drives?

BC with only the PS4 is disappointing because it should be no trouble at all to at least include PS1 and PS2 support based on emulation. Beyond that I think it sounds solid. $500 doesn't sound bad to me, I wish it was less but it's not bad

That's a myth! Proven wrong times and again. I myself have 2 SSDs which are almost 7 years old and they are still as good as new. And a third one that is 4 years or so, not one error so far. This has also been tested a lot in recent years which came to the same conclusion. Sure there are some models who have failed or are even crap but that's the minority. As long as an OS has a TRIM function built in all should be fine.

As for the PS5. Sounds great to me. Not thrilled about the raytracing stuff, because it's going to cost way too much power for something that doesn't make that much of a difference. It would be much better if the PS5 would support better anti-aliasing and a better depth of field. That's the one thing that really annoys me sometimes about PS4 games. Same goes for the 3D audio stuff, sounds more like PR to to me than anything useful. But then again I only need a good stereo output anyway.

The SSD sure is nice if it's not some hybrid crap, these drives don't make much of a difference either way, especially when you consider the sheer size of some games these days. Red Dead Redemption 2 alone would probably use up most the the "SSD" portion of these drives alone and then there is no more advantage left. But I am going to put a new SSD in my new PS5 anyway, so I would buy one with a standard HDD if available.

Too bad he didn't say anything about the cooling system. That's the one thing that Sony really needs change from ground up. All in all I think this is mostly just showing off how cool the PS5 might be, and until they come up with the final specc sheet I am not going to jump the hype train.

• Like 2

Glad to hear PS VR from the PS4 gen will work on PS5... so long as that means it will work on PS5 VR games too, if it only works in a backward compatibility context I'm not interested. 

Come out and announce PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 discs will work. Throw in digital PSP or Vita games too if you really want me to get down with it, but make all the old discs work and I'm in, all I want is the stuff I already have. If PS4 VR can be used in PS5 VR games, I might end up getting a PS5 on sale just because I've already got the VR kit.

Just now, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Glad to hear PS VR from the PS4 gen will work on PS5... so long as that means it will work on PS5 VR games too, if it only works in a backward compatibility context I'm not interested. 

Come out and announce PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 discs will work. Throw in digital PSP or Vita games too if you really want me to get down with it, but make all the old discs work and I'm in, all I want is the stuff I already have. If PS4 VR can be used in PS5 VR games, I might end up getting a PS5 on sale just because I've already got the VR kit.

I would imagine all ps5 vr titles will work with it as well but hopefully they release a psvr 2 halfway through next gen so we can get the full potential out of the hardware.

1 minute ago, rolltideroll157 said:

I would imagine all ps5 vr titles will work with it as well but hopefully they release a psvr 2 halfway through next gen so we can get the full potential out of the hardware.

Hopefully they release a PS VR Pro because if I actually have to buy a new VR to play new VR games, I'll sell my old VR and just call it a day.

Fixed that for you.

8 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

I concur.  Even if something stupendous happens, like the PS5 has a fantastic launch title (like an undeniably awesome Elder Scrolls VI) I'm holding off on purchasing for an indeterminate period of time.  

I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

There’s just too much out there for me to bother buying this console at launch. 

It’s better to wait, for these reasons: 

1. Periodic updates, with improvements to the XMB and other changes to make the console more stable and user friendly. 

2. Price reduction, for obvious reasons. 

3. More games to choose from. 

4. You will get better offers via sales and other advertisements to entice people to get the new console. 

5. A possible Slim or Pro version that is an improvement of the vanilla original. 

===

If the PS4 stayed like it was in November 2013, I would call it complete horseshit. There’s been countless changes made to it that make it a much better system. Comparing the vanilla PS4 in November 2013 to what it is now in April 2019 is like comparing a turd to a meal worth eating. 

And I recall up until 2015 or so, many people were still playing on the PS3. 

The guys who buy this console at launch are more likely to be the high tech nuts who want the latest and greatest in technology. The PC market is what they should be focusing on, not the console market. 

No amount of advertisement, deal or whatever else the top people at Sony is going to throw at us to buy this new console is going to coerce me to get it. 

Because of how stinking rich Sony has become these past five years, I think they deserve to have somebody else take the spotlight. I hope the PlayStation 5 sells worse than the PlayStation 4 did at launch.

Edited by Spaz

Hmmm, sounds good to me. Cool that it will be able to play physical games and it featuring an SSD will help in improving load times. Of course, I hope the SSD will have enough space to accommodate the size of games nowadays. Also, the expected late 2020 launch window sounds realistic to me.

What I'm not too much fond about is in its possible price tag. $500 sounds like a lot to me. Personally, I feel that a price tag around $300 would be comfier for me but hey, that's me. At any rate, I just got a PS4 a few months ago and I'm no rush to get a PS5 possibly until around mid 2022-2023 :P

9 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

They haven't stated if it will be emulated bc(like the xbox one) or hardware bc like the 20 and 60 gig PS3. If it's software emulated, it wouldn't affect the price of the console at all

Whether it actually increases their costs or not, it will affect the price of the console.  This is Sony we are talking about...

27 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

What I'm not too much fond about is in its possible price tag. $500 sounds like a lot to me. Personally, I feel that a price tag around $300 would be comfier for me but hey, that's me. At any rate, I just got a PS4 a few months ago and I'm no rush to get a PS5 possibly until around mid 2022-2023 :P

$500USD price point = $700 in Canada plus taxes so $800.  I'll wait or find one on Kijiji 1 year later for less.  Either way, that price point is a launch killer for me.  I like your $300 price point but I don't smoke enough to expect that from Sony.

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 1

Excited and a little worried. Sony won the sixth generation but botched the 7th at the start (which is why I got an Xbox 360 instead) and only just about caught up at the end. They may have handily won this generation but hopefully they have learned from previous blunders. I'll still be getting it as well as the next Xbox as well so I'll win either way.

Edited by Stan Lee

10 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Excited and a little worried. Sony won the sixth generation but botched the 7th at the start (which is why I got an Xbox 360 instead) and only just about caught up at the end. They may have handily won this generation but hopefully they have learned from previous blunders. I'll still be getting it as well as the next Xbox as well so I'll win either way.

They didn’t “just about” catch up, they did. As far as i know the PS3 eventually outsold 360 too. 

I hope they learn from their blunders this gen, but I doubt it. Talking 8k when 4K isn’t even standard yet for games. Don’t know the adoption rate of the TVs either. But 8k is such a stupid thing to be talking about at all at this point. This gen didn’t even have every game at 1080p, but sure. 8k is realistic. 

Part of me wants to scream from excitement for finally getting backwards compatibility but part of me just got real depressed that i still can't play my ps3 games. At least i can continue buying ps4 games knowing they're not gonna eternally be left in the backlog when a new console comes out like they did in the PS3 era.