Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

HusKy

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Hopefully they release a PS VR Pro because if I actually have to buy a new VR to play new VR games, I'll sell my old VR and just call it a day.

Fixed that for you.

Fixed what exactly? Lol to push vr forward they will have to make a new headset to be able to take advantage of the ps5’s power. Tech is advancing at a break neck speed so Sony needs to adapt with it as well. 

8 hours ago, Valyrious said:

And if that's a lot of money... preorder at Gamestop.

Are you confident that Gamestop will still exist by the time the PS5 is released? That's a serious consideration at this point.

8 hours ago, Valyrious said:

I personally want an expensive console at launch.

The more expensive it is, the farther away in technology it is than the PS4.

You are a marketer's dream customer.

• Like 1

Glad to hear they are keeping the physical games alive. I prefer collecting and playing games physically. I’m more interested to hear about what services are to be offered and the quality of life changes they will make.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpf75 said:

Glad to hear they are keeping the physical games alive. I prefer collecting and playing games physically.

Me too, so that a big plus for me.

Price is what is to be expected. I don’t think I would be getting it at launch, I always like to see how it runs initially then get a special edition skin bundle lol.

Backwards compatibility is a major plus but Sony know too many people will be angry if they didn’t do that this time round.

2 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Are you confident that Gamestop will still exist by the time the PS5 is released? That's a serious consideration at this point.

You are a marketer's dream customer.

Technically, Gamestop doesn't exist in my country. But to answer your question, yeah. They'll still be around next year.

I probably am. I'm not that cynical of a customer. I enjoy Playstation, and I enjoy new technology. Not much to figure out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I hope they learn from their blunders this gen, but I doubt it. Talking 8k when 4K isn’t even standard yet for games. Don’t know the adoption rate of the TVs either. But 8k is such a stupid thing to be talking about at all at this point. This gen didn’t even have every game at 1080p, but sure. 8k is realistic. 

Yeah that's pure PR bullshit. Probably to promote the next big TV thing. But for games it's utterly useless with the current gen, maybe even the next gen. Same goes for raytracing, which is still in it's infancy and requires a lot of computing power. Even a powerhouse like the Geforce 2080 Titan can only run a game with raytracing additions in full-hd, anything higher and your framerate will drop below 30. And considering how bad AMD GPUs are when compared to Nvidia I wouldn't hold my breath that you will even notice a big difference.

Edited by Durandal

8k is fake probaganda i guess we can be happy if the ps 5 reach 4k hdr with 30fps or trash indie games run with 4k 60 fps. This sounds all too good, but at the end we get disapointed. So i wont jump on the hype train untill we have prooven  facts.

• Like 1

Why are people misunderstanding the 8k thing? It will be able to output a 8k picture to a 8k screen if needed, but Cerny didn't say that you’ll be gaming in 8k. 

He didn't confirm that the hard drive is an SSD either, he said that they're making something with that in mind, possibly a hybrid that loads only critical assets only when playing, so it won't be filled instantly with RDR2.

Only bit I really care about is that it supports physical games which is awesome. 

The specs mean nothing to me because it's like another language lol. Backwards compatibility is cool for those that want it, I won't be giving up my PS4 so again doesn't matter to me. 

ps4 backwards compatibility is perfect, no need to go any further tbh. if you wanna play ps3 games just buy a ps3 for like 20 bucks :). SSD is big news if thats true, as i have an sshd atm and its not that bad but im curious what type of storage capacity they will offer for the system then, since those things arent cheap.....id be surprised if its 500$ at launch but anything more and it might run into past issues of trying to sell a console for too much....

6 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

He clearly would've talked about it if PS5 was going to support trophies. That's something people actually care about unlike ray tracing or loading times.

Nah, that’s an argumentum ad ignorantiam.

PS5 will definitely support trophies, but it wasn’t covered in this first introduction because the people attending, media/reporters, don’t care about them, so they didn’t ask. If they had asked, it would have been mentioned that trophies will still be a thing for the Next Gen System. 

Writing about ray tracing and the massive reductions in loading times are evolutionary changes that are going to get the clicks to get advertising revenue.

Unless your whole post was sarcasm, in which case you should have used the sarcasm font. 

• Like 2

They need to add another layer or two to Blu-ray discs if they want to release next-gen games on physical media. Don't think 50Gb will suffice.

We're already in the situation where most AAA games have day-1-patches because the whole game won't fit on disc.

11 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

They need to add another layer or two to Blu-ray discs if they want to release next-gen games on physical media. Don't think 50Gb will suffice.

We're already in the situation where most AAA games have day-1-patches because the whole game won't fit on disc.

Day one patches are not because the whole game won't fit on a bluray. A game not fitting on a bluray on day one is actually pretty rare.

45 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Day one patches are not because the whole game won't fit on a bluray. A game not fitting on a bluray on day one is actually pretty rare.

Yes, but some features that should be core features might be left out.

for example Uncharted 4's day-one patch included:

Bonus Feature: Photo Mode

Bonus Feature: Character Model Viewer

Bonus Feature: Render Modes

Bonus Feature: Gameplay Modes

Bonus Feature: Single-player Modes

Bonus Feature: Weapon Selector

Bonus Feature: Journal Viewer

Bonus Feature: Concept Art Galleries

I don't think these where features developed after the game went gold. More likely added to the day-one patch because the game is 48.69Gb + 5Gb day-one patch and they couldn't fit it all on one disc. My point was that next-gen games will probably be well over 50Gb in size and will require multiple discs like RDR2 or a bigger Blu-ray capacity.

Edited by dzstrpc