Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

HusKy

The only thing I care about is backwards compatibility and hoping that PS4 games that will run on the PS5 console will give us the same outcome as a PS4 Pro and 4K graphics do. 

Otherwise I’m not going to bother for a while. Maybe I’ll snag the Pro for cheap when it’s price tag goes down.

I'll get one, just not right at launch. Maybe a couple of months afterward. Backward compatiblity makes it easier to trade up. If PS5 will have an SSD, I can imagine it being $500 easily. A 2 TB SSD is around $230. I sure hope SSD prices come down a bit more by then, & that external HDDs will be supported. For saves, I'd rather use a small HDD (like 1 TB) so I don't have to write to the SSD as much.

Raytracing? It does look nice, but If it murders the frame rate I can do without it. 30 FPS & high grade RT effects, or 60 FPS & low-medium grade RT (or even none)? 60 FPS please. I could see 8K being used mostly for PS4 games. I wouldn't mind seeing some patches to allow 30 FPS PS4 games to play at 60 on a PS5.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, coldsphinx93 said:

That is a dangerous mindset. Sales people must love you. 

Price does not always correlate with quality.

Just like how someone could counter your argument by saying an inexpensive price point doesn't correlate to a bargain.

Funny how nobody thinks being a penny pincher is a dangerous mindset. "I'll only buy games when they're on sale for $20 or less!"

Yeah, and your favourite developers might not make another game as a result.

But sure, it's only dangerous to throw money around. Right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Just like how someone could counter your argument by saying an inexpensive price point doesn't correlate to a bargain.

I never said a high price equals high quality. I also never said a low price equals shit. I am simply saying that if all he cares about is price point and he wants a high price and doesn't care about justifications for that price, then sales people would have a field day with him. But you know, argue for arguments sake.

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Funny how nobody thinks being a penny pincher is a dangerous mindset. "I'll only buy games when they're on sale for $20 or less!"

The developers financial status is none of my concern. If they make another game great. If not, it's not because of one person being frugal. Also, ever hear of budgeting? As a consumer I will not go around buying new games for $80 when I know in a month it'll be half that or less. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:25 PM, diskdocx said:

I'm going to assume this was sarcasm. Has the cheapest price for the PS4 in the US ever been below $200?

You'll need to start looking for second hand consoles. I only just started on the PS4 last May and mine only cost me $75 at a yard sale. Since then I've seen them going for sale for $90, $83 (Pawn shop) and last week, $70 (Flea Market). Always a seller if you put actual effort into looking for them.

The PS5 will need serious improvements to the strategy genre if Sony wants me to buy new.

2 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

You'll need to start looking for second hand consoles. I only just started on the PS4 last May and mine only cost me $75 at a yard sale. Since then I've seen them going for sale for $90, $83 (Pawn shop) and last week, $70 (Flea Market). Always a seller if you put actual effort into looking for them.

The PS5 will need serious improvements to the strategy genre if Sony wants me to buy new.

Yeah, I'm sure there will be a seller of the PS5 at launch unloading it for $75 in a flea market sale. Probably new in box.

On 4/22/2019 at 0:45 AM, gameoverDude189 said:

I'll get one, just not right at launch. Maybe a couple of months afterward. Backward compatiblity makes it easier to trade up. If PS5 will have an SSD, I can imagine it being $500 easily. A 2 TB SSD is around $230. I sure hope SSD prices come down a bit more by then, & that external HDDs will be supported. For saves, I'd rather use a small HDD (like 1 TB) so I don't have to write to the SSD as much.

Raytracing? It does look nice, but If it murders the frame rate I can do without it. 30 FPS & high grade RT effects, or 60 FPS & low-medium grade RT (or even none)? 60 FPS please. I could see 8K being used mostly for PS4 games. I wouldn't mind seeing some patches to allow 30 FPS PS4 games to play at 60 on a PS5.

I bought my 2 TB harddrive in 2015 and it is just enough to hold all my PS4 games, including plenty of AAA blockbusters I still have yet to play through. Pretty soon we're going to need 4 TB harddrives and higher.

8K resolution is besides the point. We're far behind what 8K is capable of, and I doubt the PS5 will really utilize it around launch.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:04 PM, Valyrious said:

Yeah, and your favourite developers might not make another game as a result.

But sure, it's only dangerous to throw money around. Right.

Another word for it is cheap...

It's a dangerous mindset for the sellers and the big businessmen who are looking to make millions. Because of how commercialized the video game industry is these days they don't need my money, I have too little money as it is already without them charging $400 - 500 for a new console and a $60 video game that I know for a fact is going to have it's price reduced in just a couple short months.

The NFL Madden games and MLB the Show come to mind. In my opinion it's not worth shelling out $60 for them.

9 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

You can find the Slim models for cheap if you know where to look. The Pros are a bit more expensive, but of course with 4K graphics and the option to boost, I can understand why.

6 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Yeah, I'm sure there will be a seller of the PS5 at launch unloading it for $75 in a flea market sale. Probably new in box.

Either they're practically giving them away or the seller is ignorant. I would charge no less than $300 if I wanted to sell a launch model PS5.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Spaz said:

I bought my 2 TB harddrive in 2015 and it is just enough to hold all my PS4 games, including plenty of AAA blockbusters I still have yet to play through. Pretty soon we're going to need 4 TB harddrives and higher.

Exactly this, & with more than several AAA PS4 games already having broken Blu-ray's 50 GB barrier, PS5 really needs an Ultra HD Blu-ray player in it. Triple layer UHD Blu-rays can hold 100 GB. Even so, I am sure we'll see 2+ disc games return with a vengeance.

Edited by gameoverDude189

I’m not citing sources, but look for MSRP on retail games to increase to $69.99 for the new systems. I feel like I’m back in 1996 buying SNES games at that price, but adjusted for inflation, $70 in 1996 is around $120, so $70 in 2020 is historically a bargain for what gamers are getting. 

The PlayStation 5 Devkit Is Running A Nearly 13TF GPU – Rumor

The PlayStation 5 has finally been revealed, but very little is known about the specs. The devkit is also in the hands of select developers, and it seems like the console is going to be extremely powerful if recent leaks can be believed.

Benji-Sales, who has proven to be a reliable insider, recently tweeted that the PlayStation 5 devkit is running a nearly 13TF GPU. He has since deleted the tweet, but a screenshot of it has been captured, which you can find below.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-13tf-gpu/

On 5/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, ziggypossum said:

The PlayStation 5 Devkit Is Running A Nearly 13TF GPU – Rumor

The PlayStation 5 has finally been revealed, but very little is known about the specs. The devkit is also in the hands of select developers, and it seems like the console is going to be extremely powerful if recent leaks can be believed.

Benji-Sales, who has proven to be a reliable insider, recently tweeted that the PlayStation 5 devkit is running a nearly 13TF GPU. He has since deleted the tweet, but a screenshot of it has been captured, which you can find below.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-13tf-gpu/

Devkits always have higher specs than the end-user consoles. Somebody with more tech knowledge can probably explain much better than I, but I believe this is so developers have more assets to experiment with settings, work out bugs, etc.

Just don't get your hopes too high that the PS5 we get will run at 13TF, it will almost certainly be less than that.

• 3 weeks later...

This is great news to hear! Looking forward to playing the "Slim" re-release four years after the launch date.

My PS4 backlog is so huge (and still growing) that I'm in no hurry to play PS5 games yet.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:52 AM, Alternatewarning said:

So now here's the question.  As I still do not have a PS4 do I wait longer and just get a PS5...

My personal recommendation is to wait for a cheaper "PS5 Slim" re-release and buy a bundle during Black Friday or the Holidays.

That's what I did anyways, got my first PS4 (1TB Slim) for $200 New with a free $50 GameStop gift card during BF 2017 week.

20 hours ago, Kid Boruto said:

My personal recommendation is to wait for a cheaper "PS5 Slim" re-release and buy a bundle during Black Friday or the Holidays.

That's what I did anyways, got my first PS4 (1TB Slim) for $200 New with a free $50 GameStop gift card during BF 2017 week.

Ya, that's what I'm thinking.  Pick up a PS4 this year for BF or Christmas since I don't really want to wait for November or later for a 5.  Plus, PS4 is much cheaper than the 5 will be, even on sale

• Like 1