SarcalogosVermis

Way of the Strong - gear level cap?

3 posts in this topic

I recently finished Nioh and unlocked NG+ after completing The Queen's Eyes. I've yet to even start the DLC, but I thought I'd play some of the earlier missions to level up a bit in preparation for it as I expect it to be tough. I've noticed however that despite the levels for these missions being upwards of 160, there is a level cap on the gear I'm receiving - everything is level 150, save for the very rare occasion when I get a divine drop which has an additional stat, e.g. level 150 (+1).

I've had a look around on forums and know that in order to access higher level gear I need to unlock Way of the Demon by completing the DLC and then beating The Queen's Eyes on WotS. However, I feel like I'm missing something here. When I beat the game, the following message was displayed (quoted here verbatim):

The "Way of the Strong" has been unlocked. In this mode, the difficulty of missions is increased, but so is the strength of the equipment you receive. You can change modes from the country map.

If the gear is capped at level 150 and I have already received divine 150 weapons from beating Yamata-No-Orochi, how can this be true? The difficulty of the missions has certainly increased, but the equipment is not getting any stronger? I first interpreted that message as meaning that the equipment level would scale up with the level of the individual missions, as it did in Way of the Samurai, yet this is clearly not the case. What am I missing here? I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this?

in WotStrong, you can 150 (+x) weapons.  If you find a weapon that is say 150 (+3) you don't want you can soul match it into a lower weapon that you do want to raise it to a higher level.  Say soul matching the 150 (+3) into the 150 (+2) you are using will make the one you are using 150 (+3) and destroy the old 150 (+3).

Sorry if I'm not explaining it well.   I'm currently on NG+ myself and the highest I have seen is 150 (+6).   I'm hoping WotD will net me better gear if I can ever get past the 3 Kelleys.

Thanks! Okay, that makes sense as I have been soul matching some of my gear in the first playthrough and understand how it functions. Amazing how expensive it gets, it seems like you can only soul match an item very few times before the price starts to go through the roof. Anyway, what do the plus figures in brackets mean? At the moment I don't know how to read 150 (+3) as anything other than level 153? Is that correct?

And yes, I'm dreading the three Kelleys again, more so than the final boss fight. On my fifth or sixth attempt I managed to kill them all without taking a single hit from any of them, don't ask me how I did it! 😁

Edited by SarcalogosVermis