Why is this game allowed?

weavsxx

Mortal Kombat is allowed because it is arguably the single most gory and graphic video game out there, hence why it even caused the need for ESRB in the first place. If they couldn't entirely censor or get rid of Mortal Kombat in the 90s, they don't care by now since all the blood, gore, and sexuality is kinda the point of the game.

Not to say this is right or Sony/developers aren't being hypocrites, but it would be simply absurd to "censor" a game that was made to abolish censorship. 

This is not new.  As a culture (especially in North America) we are constantly bombarded by violence and war on the 24 hour news channels.  It is all they seem to talk about.  The US has a gun issue, and a very pro war/military attitude.  Violence is commonplace in society, and thus everyone has become desensitized (for better or worse) and it becomes 'ok' in the eyes of society.  I mean the ESRB still exists, and they still try to protect children, but it is a cultural ideal that allows, and even promotes it.

I mean think about it this way, so many people are trying to fight to take sexual education out of schools, and parents fight to keep their children from doing anything even remotely sexual, but I would bet most of us played games like "cops and robbers" when we were kids, or even had toy guns ...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Americans think it’s fine for kids to see violence, gun crime, murder etc. in films (all things that in real life are bad), but slap an NC-17 on anything that shows sex (which in real life is fun and nice.)

Some of them are also pretty okay with school shootings, bombing school buses, infant genital mutilation, child beauty pageants, calling aborted fetuses "parasites" and castration for transitioning 3 y/olds.

You know how some closet gays become really aggressive and homophobic when accused of being gay? I think it works the same way with Americans and their hatred of "pedophilia" (anime).

9 minutes ago, KainDMD said:

So does this mean we can expect Cyberpunk 2077 to also be super censored eventhough they showed a freaking naked girl in the gameplay presentation???

Sony is too chickenshit to censor high profile titles, I doubt that any AAA title will be affected.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nyonmyan said:

Some of them are also pretty okay with school shootings, bombing school buses, infant genital mutilation, child beauty pageants, calling aborted fetuses "parasites" and castration for transitioning 3 y/olds.

You know how some closet gays become really aggressive and homophobic when accused of being gay? I think it works the same way with Americans and their hatred of "pedophilia" (anime).

Sony is too chickenshit to censor high profile titles, I doubt that any AAA title will be affected.

but dmc5 was affected

1 minute ago, KainDMD said:

but dmc5 was affected

It was affected temporarily and, probably, was a self-censorship case on behalf of Capcom. I bet it was Sony who told them to de-censor the game as they are afraid of major backlash.

They are betting everything on games like RDR2, God of War, Spiderman, TLoU2 and Cyberpunk, sinking that ship is a suicide for them.

That said, Sony is exceptional in their ability to fuck things up, so who knows.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

It was affected temporarily and, probably, was a self-censorship case on behalf of Capcom. I bet it was Sony who told them to de-censor the game as they are afraid of major backlash.

They are betting everything on games like RDR2, God of War, Spiderman, TLoU2 and Cyberpunk, sinking that ship is a suicide for them.

That said, Sony is exceptional in their ability to fuck things up, so who knows.

It cannot be self censorship because the game was not censored out of the box, only after a patch, and then they patched it out again probably because of all the articles on the internet. God of war didn't even feature one nipple or even had multiple half naked girls in it, like the other ones.

2 hours ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

I always figured that we don't see what happens at Sony's customer service. They could be receiving a ton of angry calls/letters from dumb parents about the nudity in the games they purchased for their child. This seems to happen mostly to popular series often bought for "young people."

It's funny that these same parents are against their children seeing a bit if skin but will happily let them play Fortnite which is all about murder without consequence.