Days Gone to have 48 hour return promo at GameStop

MidnightDragon

oh no. This doesn't sound good. First, Sony launches Dreams early access days before Days Gone launch, then the review embargo lifts only 1 day before launch, which is usually a bad sign. And now Gamestop will allow returns up to 48 hours later?

I have a bad feeling about this. Hope i'm wrong.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

Hope you're right. I pre-ordered. Never learn.

Everything I've seen of Days Gone seems promising. Maybe not as big of a hit as The Last of Us but it does seem like something that could sell really well. If anything I read this as GameStop trying to branch out and do something that can help get more customers favor since they have been hurting lately.

57 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

oh no. This doesn't sound good. First, Sony launches Dreams early access days before Days Gone launch, then the review embargo lifts only 1 day before launch, which is usually a bad sign. And now Gamestop will allow returns up to 48 hours later?

What does it matter? The program will before all their new games. GS is just starting the marketing with Days Gone. They technically did it with Sekiro.

1 hour ago, linkdevivo said:

The review embargo is the only thing that scares me a little. This 48-hour return policy does not. I think this is just GameStop trying to appeal to the gamer. Especially when we've had recent flops like Star Wars Battle Front 2, Anthem, etc.

I too, hope your bad feeling ends up being a bunch of nothing. xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

I read it as the opposite. They know Sony releases very high quality first party games so the risk is very low of people taking them up on this offer.

I see it more as people going to beat it within 48 hours then return it,  then theres gonna be news of how many returns there were which will look bad and Gamestop will wish they never made this deal because of the money they will lose.

15 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

I see it more as people going to beat it within 48 hours then return it,  then theres gonna be news of how many returns there were which will look bad and Gamestop will wish they never made this deal because of the money they will lose.

They lose no money. They reimburse the customer back with store credit as mentioned earlier. They make next to no money on sales of new games, so if they get to sell it as used very soon after release where the margins are much higher, then that is preferable to them. I doubt that many people will do it anyway. Beating a game in 48 hours with no guide is harder then it sounds. Many stores used to have similar returns policy for games when I was a teenager and I very rarely used it.

It's a great move on gamestop's part... Because unless you have no life... You definitely won't finish it in 48 hours and more than likely won't get a chance to return it anyway.... If you go into buying a game thinking I'm gonna return this in the first 48 hours.... You're better off not buying it... Just saying... And for every copy that is returned they get paid twice technically... Because they can resell it used for like 10% cheaper... And the original buyer is stuck with a store credit... Not cash

Edited by Livingstone7728

On 4/17/2019 at 5:17 PM, iGGTheEnd said:

As @ExHaseo said its a genius move and I do hate GS. Statistics show that if someone has a gift card or store credit they are likely to spend 3x the amount that is on the store credit or gift card. So GS should actually make money on this.

How people still preorder in this day and age is beyond me.

I find it better to just wait a week or two when updates come out so that the games are a bit more optimized and perform better. That's why Day 1 patches are basically mandatory these days because of how big the games are.

Oh yeah. I'm going to buy this game on launch. Well I played a few hours of it and I don't like it that much because this feature doesn't work that well and it breaks the game. I'm going to get my refund over at GameStop.

Much like the millions of idiots out there that buy a game right at midnight release on launch day and then get disappointed that the game isn't what they were expecting.

Not granted this is Sony, not Ubisoft. Still, I usually wait until a few updates come out so I know the product I bought isn't going to have a series of problems. Can't say that for every big release however.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

So GS should actually make money on this.

That would be a first.

It's not a bad move, but it's clearly a desperate one. Gamestop has been bleeding money for some time now. They've tried multiple ideas to stabilize revenue, to no success. This is just another chip on the pile.

That being said, I don't think this has much to do with Days Gone. A lot of people suggest that this forebodes a bad game, but I think Gamestop is just using it as an example for their new policy.

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

That would be a first.

It's not a bad move, but it's clearly a desperate one. Gamestop has been bleeding money for some time now. They've tried multiple ideas to stabilize revenue, to no success. This is just another chip on the pile.

That being said, I don't think this has much to do with Days Gone. A lot of people suggest that this forebodes a bad game, but I think Gamestop is just using it as an example for their new policy.

Oh for sure it won't help them now. They will be out of business soon.