Good first Souls game?

So Sekiro has been out for a while now, and lots of folks seem to love it.  I have never played a Souls or Souls-esque game (aside from Lords of the Fallen), and am wondering if the differences in combat, NPCs, etc., compared to Dark Souls and others, in Sekiro lean it towards being a good initial entry into the series, or prevent it from being one.  What do you think?  

Edited by IntroPhenom

Sekiro isn't a souls game, if you approach it the same way as the previous games, you'll have a terrible and unnecessarily difficult time. Demon Souls is super dated but great. Dark Souls is clunky but really great. Dark Souls 2 is the black sheep of the series, but still good enough. Bloodborne is a masterpiece, it operates more on aggressive weaving in and out of battle rather than the same formula every Souls game has. Dark Souls 3 is the the most polished and well rounded Souls game.

Regardless if you start with Souls/Bloodborne or Sekiro, you'll have to learn to adapt to each one either way, so pick whichever interests you more.

Edited by Yrva

Sekiro looks simple in compare to Dark Souls in general, and very slow. Where in Dark Souls only you decide how you gonna play, like offensive, defensive, jumping and rolling all around, using wide variety of weapons and sub weapons (magic, bows, crossbows, projectiles etc.), in Sekiro the game leads how and when to use very limited given arsenal. Plus in terms of atmosphere, Dark Souls have very special vibe of real loneliness and hopelessness of unknown one inside near primal indifferent world, where in Sekiro everything turns around events and character.

I guess Sekiro is a good starter to Souls series, but if you want to learn it hard way, better start from the beginning:).

Edited by Bloodytears1666

Sekiro is a fantastic game but personally I would say Bloodborne is more forgiving a game. But as Yrva said, From Software has been excellent in making the titles different each run so if your starting it wont matter if you try Sekiro, BB or DS as they are all different

2 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

So Sekiro has been out for a while now, and lots of folks seem to love it.  I have never played a Souls or Souls-esque game (aside from Lords of the Fallen), and am wondering if the differences in combat, NPCs, etc., compared to Dark Souls and others, in Sekiro lean it towards being a good initial entry into the series, or prevent it from being one.  What do you think?  

I would start off with Bloodborne if you want the Soulsborne experience or start Sekiro if you want something similar but also completely different at the same time.  I started with Bloodborne then to Darksouls 3 and it worked perfect for me.

2 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

Admittedly, it's probably best that you haven't played any Souls game prior to this. In a lot of ways, they teach you bad habits and in others they coax you into relying on summoning to help with more difficult bosses (i.e. the time I fought Rom, the Vacuous Spider in Bloodborne and died so many times that I thought I was gonna break my controller - went and called my friend in who'd already platinumed it and he made quick work of it for me...I still feel ashamed). 

But ultimately, Sekiro teaches self-reliance and methodical approach above all else. Well, that, and also inventive thinking because wow the amount of bosses you can cheese your way through if you break down their AI, mate. 

All-in-all, a good story and a great game worthy of being your entrance into the Souls franchise.

Good luck >:)

• Like 2