Automatic/Manual

willmill97

24 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

I'm thinking of properly starting this game soon for the plat, I can't seem to find the answer to this but is playing on Manual gear setup needed at any point? Thanks

Have you unlocked all online trophies already? Cause the servers are long gone.

Either way, I used automatic for all time trials on GT6, but since GT5 times are more punishing, maybe you should do some training with the Manual gear.

22 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Have you unlocked all online trophies already? Cause the servers are long gone.

Either way, I used automatic for all time trials on GT6, but since GT5 times are more punishing, maybe you should do some training with the Manual gear.

Thankfully yes, I did those back when the server closure was announced, nearly 5 years ago now :o 

As long as it's not required to use manual I'll try my luck with automatic first. I have the GT wheel which I have used for other games so maybe that will help. Thank you 

51 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

Thankfully yes, I did those back when the server closure was announced, nearly 5 years ago now :o 

As long as it's not required to use manual I'll try my luck with automatic first. I have the GT wheel which I have used for other games so maybe that will help. Thank you 

If I remember correctly manual was needed only a bunch of time in those license tests in a straight line because of faster acceleration in a standstill in the very beginning of the game. After that, it was not necessary. 

I did everything with a DS3 and automatic shifting. Some will be almost impossible , but all of them are doable if you stick to them. From what I read , the wheel is very helpful and can save you a lot of time and frustration. Lots of patience especially on some of the later special stages and try to be as calm as possible when going for Vettel challenges..! Only Suzuka took me 3 weeks to gold. But like I wrote at the start of the post , I was doing it with a DS3. All in all , you can do it!

• 1 month later...

To add to earlier posts: the game never asks from you to use manual, but like others said, it will be helpful to become faster. Mind you, I did practically everything with manual shifting (and a G27 steering wheel) except for rally events and the Vettel events. On the Vettel events I needed all my focus to drive, but the steering wheel will help you there.