Thank You, Ratalaika Games

HouraiTeahouse

8 minutes ago, DDAM said:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

It does seem that enlightened people like yourself have the hardest time arguing the point. You are just going to drop an ad hominem and leave me hanging? Why even bother at all?

If you want to have a discussion, even though you deem me very stupid, then enlighten me. Make the world a better place by changing my mind, I'm open for it!

PS: very nice plats lad

Edited by STARLOVE
  • Like 1

People will be people, there is no changing that. There is a degree of selfishness across all fields. Don't stop doing what you love because of the desires of someone else. You can still earn plats and trophies if you wish, disregard the nonsense that comes across. Yes people like to find a competitive spirit in trophy hunting and race for who has the most "plats", but it's gotten to the point to where you have to find your own group of friends to be competitive with if you truly want to enjoy it. I have trophy hunted off and on for the past 7 years, I won't say that I am the best trophy hunter in the world, nor do I intend to be. Yes, there are people that judge me for earning trophies in games, but don't let that bother you. Find the games that you really enjoy, do what you truly want to do, who cares what the world does or thinks? If they have a problem with that, let them be them, don't waste your time complaining about other people. There are many different kinds of trophy hunters out there as well, and some have their own desires. Just find others that fit your playing style, and enjoy your life. That is all.

• Like 2

Oh joy, more of this.

Like okay, do you buddy. But trophies have only ever meant something to the person earning them, beyond that they have always been meaningless. Most of the gaming community already thinks we’re all losers for caring about them. We’re a subsection of the gaming community, not a majority. 

I really dont see how you came to this realization that everyone knew already and have discussed thousands of times on this very sight thanks to one publisher/port dev, rather than... ya know the aforementioned discussions about this very thing all the time on this forum. 

But we gotta get in our quota of threads regurgitating the same tired talking points about trophies having no value, as if they ever did have value beyond what we personally gave them. That Ratalaika has single handedly done what countless easy games have somehow not already done and that they suck. 

How tiresome.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

It does seem that enlightened people like yourself have the hardest time arguing the point. You are just going to drop an ad hominem and leave me hanging? Why even bother at all?

If you want to have a discussion, even though you deem me very stupid, then enlighten me. Make the world a better place by changing my mind, I'm open for it!

PS: very nice plats lad

Well that was a Billy Madison quote and I guess you gotta be a bit older to get the reference. 

But if you want a serious answer here we go: 

there is no issue with not having an opinion about everything. It’s ok to hate on easy trophy lists, it’s ok to love easy trophy lists, it’s ok to not give a shit about them one way or another. There is no wrong opinion and there is no fact tied to it. 

The probelm i have with your posts is that you think opinion = facts and using analogies that are outta place. As far as I’m aware, no Ratalaika game has killed anyone because of their race, religious belief or sexual orientation. I bet you there are millions of things out there that you are apathetic on and that’s ok. 

Fact of the matter is that the industry got so big in part by having indie developers trying out ideas and having a gimmick to attract customers. I’ve been gaming since the 80s and gone are they days when you had 2 continues and then game over. And you know what? The industry is better for it. There are masterpieces like Spider-Man which is not a hard platinum. There are games like Witcher 3 which again is not a hard platinum. There are games like Dark Souls series that test you abilities and games like Ninja Guiden, SMB or Necrodancer that makes you question your sanity when you try to get the platinum. 

And those are all ok because they all have their place in the marketplace and they all have people that buy the games. 

The trend of having games of lower difficulty has been going on for decades and it’s not a thing that 1 or 2 developers have made happen. Reality is that people enjoy the sense of completion and if you make a game too hard just for the sake of being hard then you potentially drive away customers. 

And your shot at my games? Buddy I enjoy every single game I play and some of them are easy, some of the are childish and some of them I play just because my son wants to play/watch the game play. I have no regrets about any games on my profile (completed or incomplete) and I’d never hide any of them just to look better for others. 

My profile is my trek through gaming for over a decade and it’s for my enjoyment only. If others like to visit it and form their opinions on it I don’t care. (And it’s ok to not care what others thing about my profile). 

I do agree with you on one thing. 6 stacks is a bit much and I honestly don’t know how much t adds in term of revenue for the developer as I honestly don’t know anyone that bought the games on various regions and I know quite a few that have all 6 stacks. (Gamesharing at the top of the leaderboard is rampant). 

• Like 2

At the end of it all the bottom line is if you enjoy the game you play. 

I've always enjoyed a wide variety of games and always will. One day I'll start a huge game with hundreds of hours worth of grinding or a nice challenge, the next day I'll blast me a nice little stress free easy game to chill with. I don't lose 1 seconds sleep at night thinking others will look down on me for playing an easy game for one simple reason, I could not give a shiny shite what anyone else thinks!  Makes me laugh how irate people on here get over others profiles. All this time could be spent focusing on your own one and having fun gaming. 

I really enjoy most of the games from these guys, the latest one iron snout I enjoyed a hell of a lot as its very similar to one of my favourite little games kung fury street rage. There are a couple of there games I didn't enjoy much like peasant Knight and inksplosion but they can't please everyone. 

Love them or hate them they ain't going anywhere and if you ask me the gold mine they have got on to is genius. They are going to sell a hell of a lot of their games ? 

There are quite a few that would never entertain playing one of there games which is a shame as they are made very well and are actually alot of fun. But the sad thing is they will never know as they are far superior to lower themselves..... Its basically the other way around when someone won't go near a game because it has difficult trophies. 

In any event I think we can all agree on one thing, gamin is what we are here for and what we love most. Long may it continue! 

3 minutes ago, DDAM said:

Well that was a Billy Madison quote and I guess you gotta be a bit older to get the reference. 

But if you want a serious answer here we go: 

there is no issue with not having an opinion about everything. It’s ok to hate on easy trophy lists, it’s ok to love easy trophy lists, it’s ok to not give a shit about them one way or another. There is no wrong opinion and there is no fact tied to it. 

The probelm i have with your posts is that you think opinion = facts and using analogies that are outta place. As far as I’m aware, no Ratalaika game has killed anyone because of their race, religious belief or sexual orientation. I bet you there are millions of things out there that you are apathetic on and that’s ok. 

Fact of the matter is that the industry got so big in part by having indie developers trying out ideas and having a gimmick to attract customers. I’ve been gaming since the 80s and gone are they days when you had 2 continues and then game over. And you know what? The industry is better for it. There are masterpieces like Spider-Man which is not a hard platinum. There are games like Witcher 3 which again is not a hard platinum. There are games like Dark Souls series that test you abilities and games like Ninja Guiden, SMB or Necrodancer that makes you question your sanity when you try to get the platinum. 

And those are all ok because they all have their place in the marketplace and they all have people that buy the games. 

The trend of having games of lower difficulty has been going on for decades and it’s not a thing that 1 or 2 developers have made happen. Reality is that people enjoy the sense of completion and if you make a game too hard just for the sake of being hard then you potentially drive away customers. 

And your shot at my games? Buddy I enjoy every single game I play and some of them are easy, some of the are childish and some of them I play just because my son wants to play/watch the game play. I have no regrets about any games on my profile (completed or incomplete) and I’d never hide any of them just to look better for others. 

My profile is my trek through gaming for over a decade and it’s for my enjoyment only. If others like to visit it and form their opinions on it I don’t care. (And it’s ok to not care what others thing about my profile). 

I do agree with you on one thing. 6 stacks is a bit much and I honestly don’t know how much t adds in term of revenue for the developer as I honestly don’t know anyone that bought the games on various regions and I know quite a few that have all 6 stacks. (Gamesharing at the top of the leaderboard is rampant). 

Strawman I: There is no issue with not having an opinion about everything. I never said we needed an opinion on everything, all the time. But first
 1. Not having an opinion and not caring are not the same things. Not having an opinion can be because of ignorance and refusing to utter one because of it.

Strawman II: I never stated that my opinion if a fact, as a matter of fact, I said through opinions we can determine what is wrong, what is right, what is true, what is false. I never said my opinions are facts.

False representation of an argument I: Spiderman example. There is nothing wrong with developers deciding to give us easy platinum lists. You don't buy spiderman because it has an easy list, I hope you buy Spiderman because it's a good game created by a respectable company. This phenomenon gives us easy trophy lists for the sake of it with very little creativity. You are paying for trophies. Why make quality games when you can just cather to a growing crowd of trophy addict throwing it at you for very little effort?

So yes, it would seem that you indeed aren't really reading what I am saying.

• Like 1

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Why do some people feel the need to have a go at others just because they have a load of easy plats?

Personally, I don't give a toss. They can choose whatever games they want to play and get plats for.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

People can claim to enjoy the shit Rat Games put out all they like, but when they're done with it in less than an hour, let's just say I highly doubt that. I've said it before, but there's a big difference between playing a game for fun and having fun popping trophies.

Except that people aren't buying The Witcher 3 to increase their trophy count, they're buying it because it's a great RPG with lots of content. Trophies are an insignificant part of their decision to buy the game. However, I'm willing to bet 99.99% of the people buying Rat Games are doing it for quick boost to their trophy stats. The game itself is insignificant. Make no mistake about it: Rat Games are selling trophies, not games.

Have you played any Rat games? The one I’ve played was pretty good, and I played beyond the plat. It just got a bit hard to me to continue (maybe if I moved to ps tv instead, the controller would help, don’t want to stack it). And quite a few of their games look perfectly fine. 

People need to to stop being hyperbolic thinking it improves their biased arguments. They rarely put out something that’s overtly shit like Life of Black Tiger.

and you literally can’t know when someone is done with a game like Daggerhood (edit why do I always call it daggerfall?) since the plat pops well before the game is even over. So if someone continues to play it, you’ll never know as the plat is give out so quick. 

I bought it as it looked fun, and while at times controls were slightly unresponsive it was still fun. Pull your head out of where ever you’ve shoved it, because you’re not seeing things clearly. If you don’t like the types of games that doesn’t make them bad. Just because the plat pops fast doesn’t make the game bad either. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RockyRoller said:

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Why do some people feel the need to have a go at others just because they have a load of easy plats?

Personally, I don't give a toss. They can choose whatever games they want to play and get plats for.

I don't think anyone realistically cares what others play. What I assume most of us trophy hunters care about is seeing one publisher making a mockery of our hobby.

4 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Have you played any Rat games? The one I’ve played was pretty good, and I played beyond the plat. It just got a bit hard to me to continue (maybe if I moved to ps tv instead, the controller would help, don’t want to stack it). And quite a few of their games look perfectly fine. 

People need to to stop being hyperbolic thinking it improves their biased arguments. They rarely put out something that’s overtly shit like Life of Black Tiger.

and you literally can’t know when someone is done with a game like Daggerfall since the plat pops well before the game is even over. So if someone continues to play it, you’ll never know as the plat is give out so quick. 

I bought it as it looked fun, and while at times controls were slightly unresponsive it was still fun. Pull your head out of where ever you’ve shoved it, because you’re not seeing things clearly. If you don’t like the types of games that doesn’t make them bad. Just because the plat pops fast doesn’t make the game bad either. 

It baffles me to see others not understand that ratalaika's entire business is focused on selling trophies not games.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

Strawman I: There is no issue with not having an opinion about everything. I never said we needed an opinion on everything, all the time. But first
 1. Not having an opinion and not caring are not the same things. Not having an opinion can be because of ignorance and refusing to utter one because of it.

Strawman II: I never stated that my opinion if a fact, as a matter of fact, I said through opinions we can determine what is wrong, what is right, what is true, what is false. I never said my opinions are facts.

False representation of an argument I: Spiderman example. There is nothing wrong with developers deciding to give us easy platinum lists. You don't buy spiderman because it has an easy list, I hope you buy Spiderman because it's a good game created by a respectable company. This phenomenon gives us easy trophy lists for the sake of it with very little creativity. You are paying for trophies. Why make quality games when you can just cather to a growing crowd of trophy addict throwing it at you for very little effort?

So yes, it would seem that you indeed aren't really reading what I am saying.

Not having an opinion is not always tied to know being familiar with the subject. Sometimes you can reaearch the subject and just decide that you don’t care. 

Let’s take sports for example. I’m an LA Kings hockey fan. I watch almost all their games and absolutely hate their rivals. Now, when it comes to Boston Bruins or Washington Capital I don’t care about them. That’s doesnt mean I don’t know their records or their players or that Merchant likes to lick opponents or Chara is a Yeti on skates or that Ovechkin has the best slap shot in history of hockey. It just means that I don’t care how well or how bad they perform and it’s not outta ignorance. 

On top of that there are sports that I just don’t care about. Soccer (or football for anyone outside the USA) I don’t care about. I played it as a kid, I watched it with my family growing up, I even bet on the sport. But I don’t care about the result of any match or the success of any team or country. And it’s not due to ignorance because I wouldn’t bet on things I’m ignorant about. 

Opinions do not determine what is right and wrong. Facts do that. Anything that is subjective cannot be inherently right and wrong. We as society assign those values to those opinions and sometimes codify them into law. 

If opinions establish what is right right or wrong then autism is caused by vaccines because there are quite a lot of people that believe that. Lucky enough we have facts that dispute that opinion yet there are still people that hold that incorrect opinion. 

Lets use spiderman exampme some more. What if I buy spiderman just for the platinum because I know it’s easy but I won’t get the hate from “super cereal trophy hunters” because it’s a AAA title and takes a few extra hours? What if I really wanna play spiderman because it’s a great game but the rarity of 45-50 is just too high so then I buy it and play it on an alt so I don’t have games with trash rarity on my profile. Is that ok? Is it wrong to pay for the game but not play it on your main account?

what about boosting? Is it ok to make a situational trophy ezpz by setting a scenario where you can’t help but trigger the trophy? What about. Using turbo controllers or controllers like Chronus where you can program the sequence to make some trophies easier to get. 

There are many issues that we can all have different opinions when it comes to trophy hunting and none of them are inherently right or wrong. We have decided as a community that obtaining trophies by cheating as described on the site rules is not allowed. I don’t agree with ONE of the rules but I obey them because I want to maintain my presence in the LB. such is life and my opion is shared by others but nothing will change that rule on the site. 

• Like 1

People get way too butthurt over what others are doing. What does it matter? I saw someone say they consider people who have platinum stacks have a garbage profile. I personally think that is a very narrow minded way to look at it. People should enjoy playing whatever they want and if they want 50,000 stacks of one game then that's up to them. Theres such thing as having too much of an opinion if you ask me. Enjoy playing what you want to play, who cares what others think.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Angus1343 said:

It baffles me to see others not understand that ratalaika's entire business is focused on selling trophies not games.

If baffles me how you think that’s a response to what I said. I said literally nothing g about their business model. Going to talk about pie next? 

What about this is “shit”? 

At worst you can say it’s a bit generic. And you’d have to have played it to speak on its actual quality.

How about these... 

Ooooh, but responding to any of that would be to actually respond to the point I was ACTUALLY making in my comment. My mistake!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DDAM said:

Not having an opinion is not always tied to know being familiar with the subject. Sometimes you can reaearch the subject and just decide that you don’t care. 

Let’s take sports for example. I’m an LA Kings hockey fan. I watch almost all their games and absolutely hate their rivals. Now, when it comes to Boston Bruins or Washington Capital I don’t care about them. That’s doesnt mean I don’t know their records or their players or that Merchant likes to lick opponents or Chara is a Yeti on skates or that Ovechkin has the best slap shot in history of hockey. It just means that I don’t care how well or how bad they perform and it’s not outta ignorance. 

On top of that there are sports that I just don’t care about. Soccer (or football for anyone outside the USA) I don’t care about. I played it as a kid, I watched it with my family growing up, I even bet on the sport. But I don’t care about the result of any match or the success of any team or country. And it’s not due to ignorance because I wouldn’t bet on things I’m ignorant about. 

Opinions do not determine what is right and wrong. Facts do that. Anything that is subjective cannot be inherently right and wrong. We as society assign those values to those opinions and sometimes codify them into law. 

If opinions establish what is right right or wrong then autism is caused by vaccines because there are quite a lot of people that believe that. Lucky enough we have facts that dispute that opinion yet there are still people that hold that incorrect opinion. 

Lets use spiderman exampme some more. What if I buy spiderman just for the platinum because I know it’s easy but I won’t get the hate from “super cereal trophy hunters” because it’s a AAA title and takes a few extra hours? What if I really wanna play spiderman because it’s a great game but the rarity of 45-50 is just too high so then I buy it and play it on an alt so I don’t have games with trash rarity on my profile. Is that ok? Is it wrong to pay for the game but not play it on your main account?

what about boosting? Is it ok to make a situational trophy ezpz by setting a scenario where you can’t help but trigger the trophy? What about. Using turbo controllers or controllers like Chronus where you can program the sequence to make some trophies easier to get. 

There are many issues that we can all have different opinions when it comes to trophy hunting and none of them are inherently right or wrong. We have decided as a community that obtaining trophies by cheating as described on the site rules is not allowed. I don’t agree with ONE of the rules but I obey them because I want to maintain my presence in the LB. such is life and my opion is shared by others but nothing will change that rule on the site. 

You do realise that things such as ethics are based on opinions right? Yes, there is a certain relativism to it, but why are we going into a philosophy lesson here? You are just going way off topic and expanding on me clarifying things. Instead of us wining about what it means to be truly right or wrong, how about you actually argue with what I'm arguing instead though? Through reason and arguments you can definitely arrive to a conclusion. Some opinions hold more weight than others, they are based on more facts, on more logical trains of thought. Let's not slip into that bullshit.

These games are not good for the industry for reasons mentioned. By your spiderman example you still don't get what I am saying. Spiderman is fine because it's obviously a creative game and a lot of resources went into this. It's clear from the get go that the game Spiderman does not have trophies as their selling point and have to put some effort in their games.

By cathering to players and earning money by just putting easy trophy lists in there, you eventually make that a selling point. Which is why more companies in the future may end up spending as little recourses as possible creating games and just throw garbage at you so people can get trophies.

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

You seem pretty mad. I would suggest taking a breather so you can calm down. :P 

I have a hard time believing anyone can form a proper opinion on a game when they play it for less than an hour and are solely focused on popping trophies. Sorry if that's so hard for you to understand.

Nope. But thanks for your concern. The losers argument always goes straight to inferring emotions from text. 

But someone can form an opinion on a game they’ve never played, and have admitted to having bias against... m’hmm.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, STARLOVE said:

You do realise that things such as ethics are based on opinions right? Yes, there is a certain relativism to it, but why are we going into a philosophy lesson here? You are just going way off topic and expanding on me clarifying things. Instead of us wining about what it means to be truly right or wrong, how about you actually argue with what I'm arguing instead though? Through reason and arguments you can definitely arrive to a conclusion. Some opinions hold more weight than others, they are based on more facts, on more logical trains of thought. Let's not slip into that bullshit.

These games are not good for the industry for reasons mentioned. By your spiderman example you still don't get what I am saying. Spiderman is fine because it's obviously a creative game and a lot of resources went into this. It's clear from the get go that the game Spiderman does not have trophies as their selling point and have to put some effort in their games.

By cathering to players and earning money by just putting easy trophy lists in there, you eventually make that a selling point. Which is why more companies in the future may end up spending as little recourses as possible creating games and just throw garbage at you so people can get trophies.

Buddy, the only reason I posted in this thread is because you had an analogy comparing not having an opinion about ezpz games as the same as not having an opinion whether or not people are killed based on their sexual orientation. 

Let me be clear, I don’t care what you play. You can play ezpz, you can grind MP games, you can play MP games on 4 consoles cuz nobody plays the game anymore, you can force skip VNs or you can only play games that are under 5% rarity. Whatever makes you happy, go do it. I don’t think any of those are wrong or right. 

Additionally I don’t view the gaming industry as a zero sum game. Just because one single developer is making ezpz trophy lists for ports from flash/phone games doesn’t mean that every developer will follow suit. Just like I don’t think because some very popular games over past 5 years have been multiplayer than singple player only games are dead. 

It doesnt take take away form your accomplishments if someone had more trophies than you. As long as you’re having fun, game on. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Im_Jeck said:

I agree with those that think if your profile is just a bunch of stacked platinums that took a few minutes to achieve, then your account is basically trash. 

I love the challenge that comes with getting a plat trophy. Be it a stupid fighting game, a ridiculous difficulty or a lengthy grind. I value the commitment it takes to get those and disregard those that pay for a multitude of easy/no effort platinums.

(Yes I know I have Slyde, Mr Massagy and My Name is Mayo. At least they aren't stacked. Dont judge me)

Honest question then... Since my profile is trash to you, do Ultra Rares counteract that? For example, I have over 400 UR's with some of those taking over 100 hours to get.

Is it still trash? How do you quantify how much trash = UR's?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Be honest with me and tell me why anyone should listen to a person who calls games they’ve never played, “shit”. And who has demonstrated, and admitted to having, a clear bias against the company who ports them over. Because I can’t think of a single reason. I’m all ears.

I don't know; experience would be a first, people with analytical thinking/ deduction skills that can easily translate stuff they had heared/learned from other people converted to an summarized opinion could be a second. Also not listening to somebody that has not played the game due to not having played the game is also a shit way of thinking. You could be totally biased about a game you played and then an outsider said well this game looks like shit or has the standard microtransaction fiasco and calls it out. Would you, completely ignore or actual think 'oke fair point' and then proceed..

i don’t give a fuck if 100% of people buy them for the plat alone, that’s completely irrelevant to the quality of the games. You’re just biased against them. The one I’ve played was fine. Not great, but far from shit. And others look pretty fun to me and not bad at all. Just because you hate the publisher/port developer doesn’t make the games “bad”.

True that, the core games doesn't have to be bad. But the 'final product' has a certain (trophy) problem eh? I feel sorry for the devs if I do not buy there game, but hey then they shouldn't have gone with ratgames..

Or what if Super Meat Boy gave it’s plat at the end of world 1? Is it now a bad game and anyone who says it’s fun “lying” and hiding the “real” reason they played it? Don’t be ridiculous. Your bias is such a waste of energy. 

Then the final product will be shit, but the core game ain't.

Edited by Bumperklever
  • Like 1

I've gotten quite confused by all the talks recently of simple games vs. complex games to the point of wondering what these types of discussions are really all about and what the root of differing opinions are...i'll try to break it down in general categories to see if I understand where people are coming from...

first, we have gamer a, who is very competitive in terms of leaderboards...they seem to believe that longer and/or more subjectively difficult games are the way to go...it's possible they have seen a larger rank decrease these past few years due to people jumping up spots a little quicker thanks to games and stacks like the ones discussed in this thread...they are frustrated that their formula of playing "quality" games (once?) is no longer the most competitive and/or common way up the boards...since they refuse to buy into the "pay for plat" mentality, they feel a need to criticize those who do since, to them, it basically threatens their leaderboard position...

i can understand why this would be frustrating but to me, as things are now, it comes down to: are you willing to pay to win to move up the leaderboards?...it might be just as challenging for you to buy into this philosophy as some of the more tedious platinums you have achieved...you will need to spend money on stuff you possibly resent and change your gaming (moral) mentality a bit...are you up for the challenge?...and how much do you really care about being high up on the boards if you're not willing to compromise on playstyles to remain competitive?...

or is this is this group crying out "the rules are unfair...let's try to change them?"...if so, where we seem to be is that there is a disagreement on what the rules should be and that we should have a whole subset of rules that cater to  various groups as opposed to universal ones...

gamer b...very similar to gamer a but in this case rarity is the deciding factor as opposed to subjective difficulty since the former is a concrete stat that generally correlates to a game's difficulty in their opinion...good news for these gamers...the pay to plat games are likely not very rare so they will only help these gamers appear even more elite as they maintain a low average rarity stat...ezpz or shovelware games actually increase the supposed value of an ultra rare hunter's profile if everyone hops on board the pay to plat train...

gamer c...their main focus is ranking up their psn level...whether or not they enjoy every game they play is optional...the pay to plat games are most likely catered to them and why the market emerged...it's possible they are very competitive in terms of leaderboard positioning so these types of games maximize their investment on every level...time, cost, and difficulty...

gamer d...somewhat serious gamer who enjoys watching the climb up the leaderboards while at the same time understanding that their rank will be proportionate to their choice of games/trophies...their positioning might be limited by time, skill, and/or financial restraints, an objection to shovelware-type and stack games, and/or a gaming philosophy that limits their choice of games (ex. no multiplayer, rpgs only, sub 50% rarity, no aaa, etc.)...it could also lead to a very versatile list that has a bit of everything; ultra rare, stacks, ezpz, lengthy, etc...enjoyment seems to be their top priority...if they can have fun and climb the boards, they are satisfied with their profiles...this seems to be a majority of people on this site...yes, pay to plat affects them to a degree by giving them a larger library to choose from...they are happy continuing on with their profile knowing they're having fun and that their psn level and trophy count are consistently on the rise...

gamer e...who is much like gamer d but who cares very little or not at all about leaderboard or psn ranks...these people tend to not be affected by pay to plat games at all other than expanding their options of games to choose from...their main interest is fun, fun, fun...they may at times focus on ezpz plats, stacks, rarity, and such but it is far from the main focus on how they build their profile...

and lastly gamer f...a combination of some or none of the above...i have no idea how to classify the unknown but have created a group to acknowledge that I may have missed a bunch of people...

if I've understood the above positions correctly then the issue seems to really just be one of differing opinions and gaming choices...each person having their own criteria of judgment of what is a good game, a quality plat, a tough challenge, etc...each also having their own opinion on what is important in terms of trophies, leaderboards, and what a/their profile represents...

the boundary setters are sites like these that display leaderboards and sony and devs who have control over our trophy data...in the grand scheme of things, I feel that on sites like this we have an impact and sharing opinions is often not only fun but fruitful...on the other hand, serious trophy collectors are most likely a minority of consumers to please on sony and the devs' end and it must be somewhat confusing to try to sort through our differing opinions and offer content to not only please each group but also still generate a profit...i don't find it surprising to see devs try to make a quick buck with "gold mine games/trophies"...in other words appeal to a market that no one is selling to...in this case (correct me if I'm wrong) easy, quick, inexpensive ones...

personally, I don't think I could ever be a pay to plat gamer, a rarity hunter, nor prioritize leaderboard or rarity stats in terms of game choices despite having an unlimited budget to spend on games...I just don't have the time or motivation to do things that I find would limit my experience or be unsatisfying...as many of us here, I can get behind the idea of playing games that I think will be enjoyable (luckily no duds so far...*knocks on wood*) and earning whatever trophies I can...if someone says "your profile is $hit", yeah it's a tad disheartening, or "your profile is amazing", a tad pride inducing but in the end, to me, my profile is perfect as is and I'll keep on gaming however I see fit regardless of what anyone thinks...the flip side of this, and thanks mostly to my participation on this site, is that I also regard other people's profiles as perfect as well...

in conclusion, I can accept that there are a ton of gamers with a ton of differing philosophies...i don't really see an end to debates like the one in this thread though because of one important thing: choice...sony, devs, and sites like this one are not forcing anyone to play anything in any manner aside from applying rules on what is considered cheating...this is a good thing...the "play to have fun and who cares what other people do" group may appear to be wishy washy at first glance but take away choices like choosing what to play and how and I'm pretty sure many of them will start to speak up...

apologies for the rant...sometimes I put thoughts in writing just so I can try to understand people's ideas a little better and see where I fare in the mix...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2