Thank You, Ratalaika Games

HouraiTeahouse

On 22.4.2019 at 2:30 AM, Heartlesswaheart said:

First and foremost, this isn't sarcasm. This is completely genuine.

As I'm sure a number of you have known recently, whether you like it or not, Ratalaika Games has dumped out a lot of zero effort plats that have pretty notably devalued them because of how much you can stack them. Now, this is important because thanks to that, I came to a realization that since there's functionally no difference between a plat from them and a plat that requires effort and because of how they're making collecting plats to be more about how much you're willing to pay than how much you're willing to do. Granted, this has always been there (how many of you have Hannah Montana the Movie because of its easy plat?), but it hasn't been to this extent. Because of this, I've stopped caring about bothering with trophies because of how worthless they're making them, and because I expect this trend to continue and attract copycats with how much infamy they're getting.

The reason I see this as a good thing instead of a bad thing is because of the massive size of my backlog, which is in part so massive because I don't consider a game complete unless I get a plat or 100% even though I'd never complete most of them anyway. I no longer feel like games that I've beaten, but not completed, should qualify as unfinished, since what's the difference between that plat and a Ratalaika plat? If anything, the latter is more valuable because of its gold trophy count. It feels pointless to care about completion when that's the case.

Tl;dr: Trophies significantly lost their value to me because of Ratalaika Games and I no longer feel like there's any value in going out of my way for them.

Interesting logic, i have somewhat lost the magic of trophies, or atleast the joy i get from trophies has gone down. This is mainly cause i got so many trophies in march that i feel that i should maybe step back a little and consider just seeing the ending to be enough, like you mentioned.

I never really felt that any one game had more value than another when regarding trophies....it is what it is. if some people want to only do super easy 2 hour plats then so be it. those people tend to be ones trophy hoarding/whoring (trophy stacking) vs actually trophy hunting (IMO). i believe trophy hunting is to earn those trophies/plats for the games you genuinely want to play (not WANT to play because omfgbbqezplat) but again, everyone has their own ideas and thoughts.i went down a dark path on my old profile, where i started playing any and everything for easy plats, ultra rare plats, but at some point i realized i wasnt really playing the games i WANTED to play, the ones i at least thought id enjoy. so i abandoned that profile and started over and id like to say i havent crossed to the dark side yet

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DDAM said:

Please rewrite what you’re trying to say cuz I have no idea. 

Im saying big AAA won’t follow what a single developer (as in one person not a company) is doing. Rata is not a trend setter, no way, no how. He’s porting games that were flash/mobile to consoles. His trophy lists tend to be simple because he’s a one man show and wants to make sure they work. He’s aware that some of his lists are way too fast and trying to correct that in the future releases. 

Your first post looked like that AAA publishers really want to mimic, but can't due to them being big. Obviously they don't want/can't mimic. As for there market we as trophy hunters are just small fish for them.. Hell, in the world of 'live services', where the AAA publishers want to make people play there game as long as possible. So it's better for them to have longer trophylists. Ratgames indeed said somewhere on discord that they do easy trophylists due to wanting to make sure they work. I also read somewhere on discord that people find games to hard so they make the lists easier... But there is still more behind it then what they say obviously, something about making easy plats so other people can buy it, and obviously they don't say it cus that causes bad PR. As business you can better say to little then to much. Back to another problem with your (and ratgames) statement. You are a one man team, I guess when porting the game it is also important to finish the game right, so then why couldn't you atleast put in a 'finish the game' trophy if you really respect the trophylist?

19 hours ago, DDAM said:

People were here against lootboxes for different reasons But mainly due to gambling aspect and locking features behind paywall, neither of the two are happening with this developer. Hell, people should be happy that Ratalaika isn’t adding DLCs to his games to “prey” on those hopeless trophy hunters that just can’t say no to the addiction of ezpz trophies. 

I guess you just don't get the point what I'm trying to say so I will 'rewrite'. But I do say that lootboxes can be a faulty comparison due to the second group of complainers (the restricting stuff due to wanting to moneytize). and even that can be in a far overthinking world be connected to restricting the leaderboard due to having to finance a certain publisher. but eh...

And I guess I know what you mean about the 'gambling aspect group'. In my opinion that group could actually be divided into 2. the people that would rather want to have a fixed reward instead of a roulette and the guys that just don't like people finance on other people, the white knights in a certain extend.

The group 1.1 is obviously non existant in the business of ratgames. Since they don't really do roulette like things with their games. However the second white knights group can actually be pretty close this discussion.. As they would react on business practices like this that lets addicted people pay a lot for there own benefit.

And with that read this line again with this knowledge:

Developers are, with lootboxes/ezpz games, financed on the gambling/trophy hunting addiction of others

Sounds a bit the same no?

I realize loot boxes isn't a great example due to the many different takes on the controversy. But I totally agree that it can be used!

16 hours ago, TheLakota said:

I must be part of the tiny minority then, because I thoroughly enjoyed One More Dungeon, and I will continue to promote that game as a heavily underrated gem. 

Since we're so keen on employing reductive reasoning though, how long did you continue playing after achieving the platinum on Hitman: Go? Sound Shapes? The masterpiece that is Paint Park?

Seems you're just attempting to cover for the real reason you're playing those games, which was the quick boost to your trophy stats. Let's not pretend you said anything of substance in this thread. 

Wow, amazing how remarkably easy it was to stoop to your level. 

Wow, aren't you special? I've seen gameplay of One More Dungeon and it doesn't look like an "underrated gem" to me. In fact, the combat looks atrocious, as do the visuals, but hey, to each their own. ;)

Hitman: Go took me 4 hours to platinum which is hardly comparable to the sub 1 hour plats Rat Games put out. I find it funny that you had to dig through my profile to find games from 3+ years ago that you could even consider a quick trophy boost. Grasping at straws are we? :P Yes, I have some Sound Shapes stacks, most of which were free of charge, so I figured I might as well. Plus, I actually had to work for the plat originally which is something you can't say about the shit Rat Games put out. Paint Park? A free game I downloaded on my Vita around the time I got it and it doesn't even have a plat. You sure got me there. :hmm:

When do you ever say anything of substance? Not often from what I've seen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Wow, aren't you special? I've seen gameplay of One More Dungeon and it doesn't look like an "underrated gem" to me. In fact, the combat looks atrocious, as do the visuals, but hey, to each their own. ;)

Hitman: Go took me 4 hours to platinum which is hardly comparable to the sub 1 hour plats Rat Games put out. I find it funny that you had to dig through my profile to find games from 3+ years ago that you could even consider a quick trophy boost. Grasping at straws are we? :P Yes, I have some Sound Shapes stacks, most of which were free of charge, so I figured I might as well. Plus, I actually had to work for the plat originally which is something you can't say about the shit Rat Games put out. Paint Park? A free game I downloaded on my Vita around the time I got it and it doesn't even have a plat. You sure got me there. :hmm:

When do you ever say anything of substance? Not often from what I've seen.

1. Yes, I am special.

2. You are incorrect. Give the game a try and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, or don't. Just avoid shitting on a game you've never played and you won't be called out on it.

3. I didn't have to do any digging as the list was readily available on your profile. I also wasn't aware there was an age limit on games one could call you out for. Good to know.

4. Not grasping at straws, just pointing out the fact you're being hypocritical and either a. don't realize it or b. are just here to troll.

5. I joke on these forums a lot, though I also offer what I feel are valid, insightful responses to others depending on their attitudes. Whether one is intending to engage in thoughtful discourse or, in your case, mock and deride developers/publishers for games you feel are beneath you, that's on you.

• Like 2

I honestly don’t understand why people here who don’t care about trophies are still sticking around. It’s not like anything is forcing you to still be here, especially when you think the community has turned to shit like one user on this thread properly made out. 

If you took the time to make an account on here and made any post at all, especially in this thread, you have done more than most. 

The day I stop caring about the trophies is the day I stop going to this website, and very likely I will retire this trophy account of mine and find another hobby worth pursuing. 

If some of you guys are sick of trophies and stopped caring about them, then you don’t need to force yourself to keep coming back. You can just as well leave. I’m not encouraging people to leave, but obviously trophy hunting doesn’t motivate you like it used to be. So why even bother hanging around?

• Like 3

i have seen people with under 100 plats. for years who work on quality games when they have the free time, doesn't mean you need to change how you trophy hunt if that's how you like to consistently trophy hunt, don't worry about the many easy plats. out there, no need to quit over it unless you are already looking for a reason to.

if leaderboards are a concern, trust me its not a OCD you should let get to you. once you reach a certain point its a major pain in the ass to advance any further, you play something longer you will fall back many ranks, and then it takes a number of shorter games to get back to where you were. unless you consistently play short games, which gets old when you have a backlog full of time consuming quality games.

at the end of the day, trophy hunt how you want, as someone with Asperger's i deal with OCD everyday, and everything trophy hunting triggers it lol. i make all these ludicrous goals in my head constantly where its easy to get over exerted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJP_X said:

at the end of the day, trophy hunt how you want, as someone with Asperger's i deal with OCD everyday, and everything trophy hunting triggers it lol. i make all these ludicrous goals in my head constantly where its easy to get over exerted.

Asperger’s pretty much defines today’s generation. 

The best thing for people to do is to take the forum posting to a minimum and perhaps make a checklist of their own. I made mine three years ago and it has helped tremendously in knowing what I have left. 

• Like 1

I think I see the problem, it is not that there are platinums of short duration or fast but that there are people who have 100 platinums in 10 years, for example, and see how others effortlessly get those 100 in a couple of months based on cheap games with multiple separate but repeated lists.
I think that is the basis on the hatred of some for those games that already exist years ago on PC.
To all those people tell you that tranquility, nothing happens, everything is fine.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

I honestly don’t understand why people here who don’t care about trophies are still sticking around. It’s not like anything is forcing you to still be here, especially when you think the community has turned to shit like one user on this thread properly made out.

The site is the most visually pleasing to use IMO, and it is a great source to discover games from profiles with similar interests you never hear about on large video game sites. The site might be dedicated to trophies, but you can use it as a database and get news. There is enough incentive apart from trophies to take part in the forums, even if the atmosphere can get a bit hostile once in a while.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The site is the most visually pleasing to use IMO, and it is a great source to discover games from profiles with similar interests you never hear about on large video game sites. The site might be dedicated to trophies, but you can use it as a database and get news. There is enough incentive apart from trophies to take part in the forums, even if the atmosphere can get a bit hostile once in a while.

I actually meant the forums specifically. 

Most people who come to PSNProfiles never bother to use the forums, they just want to see what games are coming out and to use the guides. I will agree that this website is the most aesthetically pleasing. 

Those who post here regularly, I thank you, because you are one of the few who do. But, for those feeling miserable, I don’t see why they can’t just leave, or take a break and come back when they’re feeling better.

On 24/04/2019 at 3:09 AM, Atom1cMoose said:

so i abandoned that profile and started over and id like to say i havent crossed to the dark side yet

It is only a matter of time, the dark side corrupts all ........... eventually ?

On 23/04/2019 at 6:35 AM, Nitro said:

Honest question then... Since my profile is trash to you, do Ultra Rares counteract that? For example, I have over 400 UR's with some of those taking over 100 hours to get.

Is it still trash? How do you quantify how much trash = UR's?

mmm yes your profile is trash. I am sorry. Welcome to the club.

16 minutes ago, Demon--Prototype said:

Enduring hundreds of those trash games to maintain his leaderboard position while still having URs/AAA's looks more solid to me.

Agreed some players have a goal that can be reached

what i can't understand is why some users keep on collecting all those trophies without a goal in mind

Edited by dark69knight
  • Like 1