Thank You, Ratalaika Games

HouraiTeahouse

Personally I trophy hunt for myself and not others. I try to focus on games I’ll enjoy, and feel like I’ve acheived something at the same time. It’s you yourself that gives value to the trophies you earn, wether that’s sentimental or to be challenging, whatever the preference. I like trying to push myself to do games I’ve backlogged. I get a sensation of joy as I lose buckets of built up stress of worrying I won’t get it. Sometimes it’s given me little boosts of confidence that I might be able to do other games too.

1 hour ago, Demon--Prototype said:

Enduring hundreds of those trash games to maintain his leaderboard position while still having URs/AAA's looks more solid to me.

My man ?

On 23.4.2019 at 10:44 AM, madbuk said:

Oh please. Played the way they're intended to be played - actual reading - visual novels often take longer than big AAA games.

Steins;Gate is 50+ hours, Danganronpa games can go into the 100+ hour mark.

This is a prime example of why trophy whores are a big problem. They're ruining the reputation of actual good games.

Oh please... and everyone plays them as intended right? It's not like there were some trading websites for those with only reason being quick and easy plats right?

Just now, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Oh please... and everyone plays them as intended right? It's not like there were some trading websites for those with only reason being quick and easy plats right?

Those people shouldn't warp your opinion of them, though. Steins;Gate and Danganronpa, Phoenix Wright are examples of outstanding games, and a few hundred trophy whores skipping through them doesn't change that fact and you shouldn't look down on them as a whole because of the few trophy whores. You're really missing out if you don't play them because of that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Those people shouldn't warp your opinion of them, though. Steins;Gate and Danganronpa, Phoenix Wright are examples of outstanding games, and a few hundred trophy whores skipping through them doesn't change that fact and you shouldn't look down on them as a whole because of the few trophy whores. You're really missing out if you don't play them because of that.

Sorry but you named the wrong examples. Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa have western localization. What i meant were those japanese-only novels played by non-japanese people, with guides telling your when to press R1 for you platinum. I'd never call Danganronpa or PW a trophy-whore game.

• Like 3

I still don't see my question answered. How are they getting away with the different regions? Forget easy or hard. The stacking with the regions can not be how PS intented it. I feel like it is extra work to get different region releases, so obviously Ratalaika is abusing the region rules a bit to sell more copies. Can we atleast all agree that the exact same game should not give 3 plats?

43 minutes ago, JayVR82 said:

I still don't see my question answered. How are they getting away with the different regions? Forget easy or hard. The stacking with the regions can not be how PS intented it. I feel like it is extra work to get different region releases, so obviously Ratalaika is abusing the region rules a bit to sell more copies. Can we atleast all agree that the exact same game should not give 3 plats?

Because they just can, that's the answer. It seems Sony don't give a s**t about this and Rat Games is just using gaps in Sony gaming policy - it's infuriating and brilliant at the same time. They'd probably publish their games in every country if it was possible, then we'd have 194 (?) x 2 stacks of one game.

And I can agree that exact same game shouldn't give 3 plats, no matter if it's Ratalaika game or AAA game that takes hundreds of hours to plat.

• Like 1

One thing i actually find weird is that some of thier games you dont even need to beat the game to get the plat. Take metagal for example, its a solid megaman clone(and honestly its my favorite game by them by far) but the trophies feel like i got a plat just for beating metal man in megaman 2 and thats it. Compare that to gal gunvolt burst which dispite requiring multiple playthroughs and a speedrun trophy can still be gotten in under 5 hours. At the very least they should require you to beat the game for the plat because like undertale the trophies dont represent the actual quality of the game.

• Like 1

I’ve got nothing against easy platinums, I’m much more interested in the quality and enjoyment of the game. But I love trophy hunting, and it’s a real shame to see the effect a company like this is having on the hobby.

I’m very active in a number of trophy communities, and these days it’s a sure bet if you look at the list of any trophy hunter with 100+ platinums their recent games probably consists of stacks and stacks of the exact same 1 hour platinums, many of them from this company. It’s just embarrassing, even more so when they share those platinums with the rest of us.

I hope I never get to the point where I’m so hopelessly addicted to the trophy dopamine rush that I’m forking over my hard earned cash on absolute garbage just to rapidly increase my platinum count. Life is too short and there are way too many great games that deserve my attention first! Quality will always trump quantity in the end anyways.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Because they just can, that's the answer. It seems Sony don't give a s**t about this and Rat Games is just using gaps in Sony gaming policy - it's infuriating and brilliant at the same time. They'd probably publish their games in every country if it was possible, then we'd have 194 (?) x 2 stacks of one game.

And I can agree that exact same game shouldn't give 3 plats, no matter if it's Ratalaika game or AAA game that takes hundreds of hours to plat.

Sound Shapes broke that rule back in 2012. You're about 7 years too late.

If I was able to make a suggestion, and this wouldn't be possible anyway, then I would suggest that these games would make you finish them to their completion before handing you the platinum trophy.

I couldn't care less about how easy TellTale Games are and whether or not some people have stacked a few of them. Why? Because you have to play them to the end. It's just a matter of watching a movie for several hours, do some easy QTE, make dialogue choices and that's practically it.

With Ratalaika Games, you have to play maybe 1/10th of what the games actually offer and you already have a platinum. That is a bogus way of assigning trophies to games that could offer a lot more than what Ratalaika Games is making you do. Teslagrad, Undertale and Trine 2 on the PS3 in comparison had you doing tons more with their platinums, and you didn't have to finish those fucking games. They give you the platinums before you see the ending of the games, which doesn't make sense to be honest.

This is why nowadays I value some 100 percent games a lot more than some shitty platinum that anybody can get. If you're someone who plays Ratalaika Games once and moves on that's fine. But stacking them several times, in this case six cases in addition to paying more money for the same game for those different regions is rather cheap in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I’ve got nothing against easy platinums, I’m much more interested in the quality and enjoyment of the game. But I love trophy hunting, and it’s a real shame to see the effect a company like this is having on the hobby.

I’m very active in a number of trophy communities, and these days it’s a sure bet if you look at the list of any trophy hunter with 100+ platinums their recent games probably consists of stacks and stacks of the exact same 1 hour platinums, many of them from this company. It’s just embarrassing, even more so when they share those platinums with the rest of us.

I hope I never get to the point where I’m so hopelessly addicted to the trophy dopamine rush that I’m forking over my hard earned cash on absolute garbage just to rapidly increase my platinum count. Life is too short and there are way too many great games that deserve my attention first! Quality will always trump quantity in the end anyways.

There are people who only started around Christmas last year and they already have over 100 platinums and 1000 gold trophies.

I've gone the same route, I've stuck to games that are more worth my time than some cheap indie game that can't be bothered to give at least a somewhat decent trophy list. I was on the 'easy' bandwagon for a while but I stopped doing that two years ago. Sound Shapes and Energy Cycle were pretty much the games that ended my reign of just playing for trophies only.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

There are people who only started around Christmas last year and they already have over 100 platinums and 1000 gold trophies.

Funny enough it’s actually the gold trophies that bother me more than the platinums lol. Those garbage games are always stuffed to the gills with golds!

I’m not sure how trophy lists are constructed, but it bugs me when I put 50-100+ hours into a great game and am rewarded with one or maybe two gold trophies on top of the sea of bronze, if any at all, but these Ratalaika type games are always good for 5-10 golds and a plat. It’s a bit ridiculous.

I know Sony would never change anything, but I’d love to see a more balanced trophy system where golds and platinums are reserved for games requiring more effort/skill from the player. These Ratalaika-esque titles have their place, but their trophy list should consist of a few bronze trophies and nothing more IMO.

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Funny enough it’s actually the gold trophies that bother me more than the platinums lol. Those garbage games are always stuffed to the gills with golds!

I’m not sure how trophy lists are constructed, but it bugs me when I put 50-100+ hours into a great game and am rewarded with one or maybe two gold trophies on top of the sea of bronze, if any at all, but these Ratalaika type games are always good for 5-10 golds and a plat. It’s a bit ridiculous.

I know Sony would never change anything, but I’d love to see a more balanced trophy system where golds and platinums are reserved for games requiring more effort/skill from the player. These Ratalaika-esque titles have their place, but their trophy list should consist of a few bronze trophies and nothing more IMO.

KING MIDAS: "When gold trophies are valuable one day, then trivial the next."

Sony said themselves early on that the trophy grading system was suppose to Identify the difficulty of a specific trophy but that systematically is irrelevant. The amount of gold, silver or bronze trophies a game receives depends on the number of trophies the game contains. Thirteen trophies? That's 11 golds, 2 silver trophies AND 1 more as the platinum trophy, 12 trophies total. Fifty trophies? That's 2 golds, 10 silvers and 38 bronze trophies PLUS the platinum, 51 trophies total. Either way, these trophy list arrangements add up to 1230 trophy points, the max amount of points a full-platinum base game can be given at difference of 37 trophies.

Let's say the first game is Midnight Deluxe. A 1 hour, 3 to 3.5 difficulty platinum (based on luck/skill) at 7.55 Australian Dollars tops. The other game could be Medal Of Honor: Warfighter. The mixed sequel to the 2010 Reboot released back in October 2012 with an 8 out of 10 platinum difficulty rating and a 60+ hour completion time estimate. This game, as opposed to Midnight Deluxe, was sold Down Under for the $100 RRP...

Spoiler

...And while I'm here, I should mention that if you Americans really think $60 is expensive for buying video games on release, then I strongly encourage you to visit Australia on your next vacation. 60 USD is buying 85.25 AUD on the day of this post, yet down here you're asking for 70 "Benjamins" and 38 cents! So you all should feel bad for me as my country ignores exchange rates. The upcoming Federal Election (as cynical as Australian politics gets) isn't helping either.

Then you have the platinum trophy for The Elder Scrolls Online. A subscription-based game with an inFAMOUS (see what I did there?) gold trophy with the addition of endless DLCs up against Megamind with SEVEN GOLD TROPHIES FOR A MOVIE TIE-IN KIDS GAME...

Edited by Skeptical69

31 minutes ago, Skeptical69 said:

Sony said themselves early on that the trophy grading system was suppose to Identify the difficulty of a specific trophy but that systematically is irrelevant. The amount of gold, silver or bronze trophies a game receives depends on the number of trophies the game contains. Thirteen trophies? That's 11 golds, 2 silver trophies AND 1 more as the platinum trophy, 12 trophies total. Fifty trophies? That's 2 golds, 10 silvers and 38 bronze trophies PLUS the platinum, 51 trophies total. Either way, these trophy list arrangements add up to 1230 trophy points, the max amount of points a full-platinum base game can be given at difference of 37 trophies.

That was a long time ago. Back in 2008 - 2012 the trophy grading system did often identify the difficulty of a specific trophy.

Today nobody cares. 11 gold trophies or over 60 trophies like it is for Batman: Arkham Knight. At least AAA games are mostly getting a good list.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Skeptical69 said:

Sony said themselves early on that the trophy grading system was suppose to Identify the difficulty of a specific trophy but that systematically is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

That was a long time ago. Back in 2008 - 2012 the trophy grading system did often identify the difficulty of a specific trophy.

Anybody have a link to an official source at Sony explaining or describing the different types of trophies are in any way related to difficulty? My Google-Fu is failing me because I can’t seem to find anything from Sony. 

For me it’s just becoming more apparent who is an actual trophy hunter and who are just plain terrible.

I remember the time when 100 platinums was still a big achievement, but now it’s become more of a joke.

Play the games you love, because your “profile” says a lot about you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

Reveal hidden contents

...And while I'm here, I should mention that if you Americans really think $60 is expensive for buying video games on release, then I strongly encourage you to visit Australia on your next vacation. 60 USD is buying 85.25 AUD on the day of this post, yet down here you're asking for 70 "Benjamins" and 38 cents! So you all should feel bad for me as my country ignores exchange rates. The upcoming Federal Election (as cynical as Australian politics gets) isn't helping either.

Interesting, I figured there was a reason for this. However, an overhaul of the trophy system in favour of more balance and accurate trophy lists would be something I’d be in favour of.

It makes more sense to me to remove that restriction and have a system where short/easy games amount to less points and longer/harder games amount to far more, rather than holding every platinum trophy game to the combined total of 1230 points. A half hour sorry excuse for a game like My Name is Mayo would be worth 500 points and consist of a few bronze trophies, whereas a 100+ hour RPG would be worth a few thousand points with a trophy list containing a variety of bronze, silver, and gold depending on the nature of the individual trophy requirements. Basically, your trophy cabinet and trophy level would more accurately represent the time and effort you’ve put into your collection.

The trophy points system is kind of irrelevant anyways. Because it’s not displayed on your profile, the vast majority of PlayStation gamers have no idea how many points they have. Some aren’t even aware trophies have a point value and that this is how your profile level increases. Most people judge a profile on what they can visually see - the number of each type of trophy!

Also, it bothers me to no end when you’ve got trophies like Mein Leben in Wolfenstein 2 or Card Collector in The Witcher 3 assigned to a measly bronze. It’s a joke.

Edited by dieselmanchild

I get the point, OP, but just because a trophy is waaaay too easy to obtain and stack doesn't mean a thing (on the big picture). Deal with it, it's not important. If you need challenge in your life, do it to improve yourself as an individual and not to feel superior to others, because there'll always be someone that feels superior to you. You can still be a trophy hunter with your own compass, but seeking life success on being on a leaderboard above others is gonna take you that far.

It's healthier to enjoy this medium as what it is: a form of expression, a door to worlds unknown, a chance to share time with people you enjoy being with.

Don't get flustered so easily for a number. It won't mean anything later, and it won't do you any good.

Im done with this studio, i think i have 1 more of there games but im boycotting them from here on out, you know this guys laughing all the way to the bank and you guys just keep funding his projects and keep giving him support, giving them publicity and free advertisement 

$4 here, $4 there, lol

if theres a demand, someone will supply it

its drug dealer mentality

If drug dealer A sells his product for $60 a pop, mind you its top shelf product

But drug dealer B sells an inferior product for far less, people will go to dealer B, gotta save a few bucks to get more shit later down the line

a platinum is still a platinum at the end of the day wether its Sekiro or Hannah Montana

are the games Ratalaika games publishes any good? No, not really!  But people will blindly give them money to get there next platinum fix

...fucking junkies! Lmao

go back to scoring good “drugs”

in this scenario/case, its games

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

its drug dealer mentality

If drug dealer A sells his product for $60 a pop, mind you its top shelf product

But drug dealer B sells an inferior product for far less, people will go to dealer B, gotta save a few bucks to get more shit later down the line

for the record, I've been drug dealer A and made a killing...i'd also go to drug dealer A...in my experience not many people who have money would want B, it's partly a status thing, partly a safety thing, partly a quality/satisfaction thing...gambling on a low quality drug which is most often the case with lower prices can be gambling with your life...it's kinda like cars...and you don't see a shortage of luxury cars in the world just because cheaper ones are available therefore i disagree with the analogy...

cheap lower quality stuff being available does not equal a lower demand to higher quality stuff's consumption...it tends to lead to a satisfied market for those on a bang for buck budget and more choices for all...example: dollar stores have not ruined the economy...they appeal to a certain crowd...much like most things the choice to consume their products or not is up to each individual...

Edited by ProfBambam55

4 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

for the record, I've been drug dealer A and made a killing...i'd also go to drug dealer A...in my experience not many people who have money would want B, it's partly a status thing, partly a safety thing, partly a quality/satisfaction thing...gambling on a low quality drug which is most often the case with lower prices can be gambling with your life...it's kinda like cars...and you don't see a shortage of luxury cars in the world just because cheaper ones are available therefore i disagree with the analogy...

cheap lower quality stuff being available does not equal a lower demand to higher quality stuff's consumption...it tends to lead to a satisfied market for those on a bang for buck budget and more choices for all...example: dollar stores have not ruined the economy...they appeal to a certain crowd...

You dont have to agree with truth, some people are blind to it

if it wasnt working for ratalaika you wouldnt see a new game with a multitude of stacks pumped out on a weekly basis

Supply and demand, supply and demand!

thats what its going to boil down to

the consumers want everything now now now

We live in a digital age where everything is at your finger tips with a push of a button

im hungry, pop a hot pocket in the microwave

why go out of your way to make a lovely meal that took time and dedication when you can get almost the same satisfaction in 60seconds

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

With Ratalaika Games, you have to play maybe 1/10th of what the games actually offer and you already have a platinum.

Devious Dungeon is decent game released by Ratalaika and it requires full playthrough and small grind to get a plat which takes approx. 3 hours. Nobody can say it gives you plat after 15 minutes from starting the game, but it's still easy 80+% plat that "trophy whore" would consider if he'd seek for next game. So this is the point I also don't understand, despite buying their games from time to time.

Moreover, it's lack of respect to developers work, when Rat says to them "give people plat after 15 minutes of gameplay, you'll get better cash results! Don't make players experiencing your game fully!".

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

Sound Shapes broke that rule back in 2012. You're about 7 years too late.

I didn't say Rat Games was first. While Queasy Games was first with SS, they did it only once. Rat games is probably the first publisher that's doing this repeatedly, laughing at other developers faces with worse financial result.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

46 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Supply and demand, supply and demand!

couldn't agree more...you seem to be vocally against this?...i think it is somewhat debatable whether more choices in a variety of products is good or bad...

if we look at the world and its history, mostly only tyrannical regimes have tried or are actively trying to irrationally  limit people's consumption choices rather than expand them...i don't think ratalaika is a major threat to the gaming industry...they just appeal to a market that apparently wasn't fulfilled much up to this point...not a terrible strategy in terms of satisfying a demand...and I agree that's it's happening in many industries as you pointed out with people wanting foods that are quick to prepare...

with the mentality you seem to have I must ask: are you a multibillionaire who only consumes the highest quality things in life?...if not, there is probably someone like you looking down on some of your choices as well...

Edited by ProfBambam55

Only reason I started playing more of these EZPZ's, is because of Sony Rewards canceling the trophy passes. I'm trying to get as much out of them as I can before November comes and I can't get money for this anymore. 

Even then, I'm still playing the mainline AAA titles FAR more often than I am these stupidly easy games. Theres nothing wrong with popping in a nothing game and still getting something out of it when you're just not in the mood for anything else (but still in the mood to game)...it's the perfect payoff IMO. 

But I also don't subscribe to this idea that every game you play needs to be a crippling difficulty you have to stress and kill yourself over. I prefer the relaxing approach. Life is challenging enough...I don't need it from my games too.

^thats pretty much why im playing them at this point. They really dont take much out of my free time as i can play 3 hours or say a 4 hour session in some long rpgand use my last hour chipping away at a ratalaika game or sometimes you(who are possibly more greedy then ratalaika because most of thier games aren't crossbuy) title or any other of these easy plat farm companies. Besides, not every game this publisher puts out is ezpz as people say, i had trouble in league of evil at points and blasting agent was pretty annoying, so there is some skill required as its not like a point and click like telltale games or artifax mundi affair.