R.I.P. Notre Dame

If this is clickbait, I apologize, but I have to get this off of my chest.

Recently the cathedral in Paris called Notre Dame caught fire and burned partly to the ground, destroying half of it. It will probably never be rebuilt.

I want everyone playing this game to go to La Cite Du Cloche and looked at the cathedral in a moment of silence, because this will be one of the few places where we ever see Notre Dame ever again. (After all, the world is based off the Disney adaption of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SuperSmash5U said:

Recently the cathedral in Paris called Notre Dame caught fire and burned partly to the ground, destroying half of it. It will probably never be rebuilt.

I mean the french president literally said that Notre Dame would be rebuilt within 5 years so that's not true. Will it be exactly the same? No, but it's not like the entire building was destroyed. At least some of the original still remains and there have been no shortage of donations to help restore it.

18 minutes ago, SuperSmash5U said:

I want everyone playing this game to go to La Cite Du Cloche and looked at the cathedral in a moment of silence, because this will be one of the few places where we ever see Notre Dame ever again. (After all, the world is based off the Disney adaption of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.)

If you really want to see the Notre Dame in video game form, I think Assassin's Creed Unity would be the better choice. I heard that it might even be used to help rebuild the real thing. It seems a bit weird to give it "a moment of silence", though. Just be glad nobody was killed.

• Like 2

Nice to see a heartfelt tribute like this, man. I did the same, only in Assassin's Creed Unity. Things definitely won't be the same replaying KHDDD or rewatching Hunchback, or indeed will they in any work of fiction that features it. 

Restoration won't make it what it was. They're already talking about changing things when they do. I'm not a religious man, but in addition to having deep respect and appreciation for the artisanship that made the cathedral a reality, I believe in the concept of buildings and objects having the ability to house memories and energies that can affect people in their presence on a profoundly deep level of existence.

Modern building materials, being largely composed of partly synthetic or downgraded raw material, does not serve as a particularly effective conduit for these energies. The further a material strays from its unaltered natural source, the harder it is for these inscrutable metaphysical forces to take residence within them. A building can be torn down or restored, but its intrinsic energy field is irreplaceable.

A true loss.

buildings can't be there forever, just like your digital library. I would like that money to be spent on something that can really help people. But hey, it's their choice to put money in some random church or whatever, so discard my opinion if you like, but it must be said.

• Like 2

The wood parts like the roof and the spire were what was destroyed, but the the stone parts, like the outer facade and the bell towers, have survived. Granted some of the wooden parts dated back centuries, but still, Notre Dame is still Notre Dame. A lot of these old structures actually have their wood components replaced over time, a plank here, a support there, which provides an interesting real life example of the Ship of Theseus problem. I once toured the Forbidden City and while it was said that some of the structure dates back to the Ming dynasty, I had wondered just how much of it could really be considered "old" given that historical Chinese buildings like temples and palaces tended to be built from wood.