Theraputic Rage Quit Thread - Isshin

Honestly SSIshin didn't give me any problems. probably took me about 6-7 tries to get used to his moveset, and once I got to the final phase the lightning deflection makes it so much easier than the previous phase. You can try to learn the timing of lightning deflections using the dudes in Fountainhead, there's one very near to the Flower Viewing idol along with a Mist Noble, he's pretty good for practising on.

So, if I found SSIshin relatively simple, why am I here?

Because of Shura ending Isshin. Unlike SSIshin the pre-boss boss is a goddamn pain in the ass who seems to have borrowed her grab from those ogres in Dark Souls 2 with how huge the hitbox is and she takes AGES to go down even if the fight goes smoothly. And then there's Isshin's final phase there, which is some kinda bullshit indeed. I've gotten used to tanking some of the fire attacks using the umbrella but the area covered by those attacks is still absurd, and don't even get me started on his ultimate Devil May Cry special attack which explodes half the arena before he himself dashes across the whole thing, spams a whole ton of attacks that do damage if you don't deflect all of them perfectly in the space of a few seconds, deal a ton of posture damage and just keep goddamn going.

Unlike the other bosses in the game (maybe except DoH) I'm really going to love never having to face this asshole again once I finally take him down and get the Shura ending. Him and his bitch have already killed me more times than anything else in the game besides my first Genichiro encounter when I was still getting used to everything, possibly combined.

On 22/6/2019 at 4:14 AM, Seasonreaper said:

Honestly SSIshin didn't give me any problems. probably took me about 6-7 tries to get used to his moveset, and once I got to the final phase the lightning deflection makes it so much easier than the previous phase. You can try to learn the timing of lightning deflections using the dudes in Fountainhead, there's one very near to the Flower Viewing idol along with a Mist Noble, he's pretty good for practising on.

Because of Shura ending Isshin. Unlike SSIshin the pre-boss boss is a goddamn pain in the ass who seems to have borrowed her grab from those ogres in Dark Souls 2 with how huge the hitbox is and she takes AGES to go down even if the fight goes smoothly. And then there's Isshin's final phase there, which is some kinda bullshit indeed. I've gotten used to tanking some of the fire attacks using the umbrella but the area covered by those attacks is still absurd, and don't even get me started on his ultimate Devil May Cry special attack which explodes half the arena before he himself dashes across the whole thing, spams a whole ton of attacks that do damage if you don't deflect all of them perfectly in the space of a few seconds, deal a ton of posture damage and just keep goddamn going.

Unlike the other bosses in the game (maybe except DoH) I'm really going to love never having to face this asshole again once I finally take him down and get the Shura ending. Him and his bitch have already killed me more times than anything else in the game besides my first Genichiro encounter when I was still getting used to everything, possibly combined.

Use Firecrackers to avoid the ultimate.

He's really hard! You can do this man he took me two days to beat but it was worth the pain. Don't give up you got this! Unlike Dark Souls you can't summon help. But think of it as a gift. You will be so much happier with this victory when you do it all by yourself!

Well, I've just started this game, so I cant say anything about this boss as I haven't gotten to him yet. It's been sitting in my backlog since release.

I'm finding it a little bit challenging, which I absolutely love!

I haven't died yet. 

I'm following Fightin' Cowboy's guide on YouTube for all the collectables etc.

Currently going through the Hirata Estate.

I have to say that so far this game is incredible. I love it.

No doubt I will end up dying in a spectacular way and then rage quit. Gyoubu (first main boss with the trophy) almost did me in and I imagine he's supposed to be the easiest since he was first, so I cant wait to progress further into the story.

Trying my hardest not to watch other videos of what comes next.

I can only wish you good luck.

Just don't spoil yourself of any of the bosses until after you've raged. Fear not, many deaths still await thee

10 hours ago, thescotsman783 said:

Well, I've just started this game, so I cant say anything about this boss as I haven't gotten to him yet. It's been sitting in my backlog since release.

I haven't died yet. 

No doubt I will end up dying in a spectacular way and then rage quit. Gyoubu (first main boss with the trophy) almost did me in and I imagine he's supposed to be the easiest since he was first, so I cant wait to progress further into the story.

13 hours ago, thescotsman783 said:

I haven't died yet. 

You gotta do multiple playthroughs anyways if you're going for the plat. Forget about following YT guides and play the game blind, you'll have a blast. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Oddly enough Sword Saint really didn't bother me that much. Only took about three hours to beat him. Now Owl Father? O.M.G. I very nearly quit because of him. Took nearly four days for me to beat him. And I can say with 100% certainty, I'll NOT be fighting that long haired, hippy ninja again. Once (or a thousand) was quite enough, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 4:14 AM, Seasonreaper said:

I finally got my platinum after a long time, felt exactly the same about the shura ending bosses. took me longer to beat the two of them then the rest of the shura playthrough coz i pretty much ran through everything and skipped as much as possible. 

what i did for that move of his was i would quickly move on to a apart of the ground that wasnt about to explode then use my umbrella to absorb the many slahes that followed. would punish with projected force as his move ended. the rest of the time i was just trying to get behind or a deflect and doing one hit at most. also he always dodges the first strike and then hits you when you so dont do a combo, hit once, deflect immediately then if you can hit him otherwise try and get around him. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2019 at 3:14 AM, Seasonreaper said:

In a similar boat, although it took me much longer to 'get' SSIsshin. Two whole evenings of grinding this ******* but once it clicked, he's actually not too bad at all.

Interested to see how the Shura ending bosses play out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 5:42 PM, christhedog3 said:

In a similar boat, although it took me much longer to 'get' SSIsshin. Two whole evenings of grinding this ******* but once it clicked, he's actually not too bad at all.

Interested to see how the Shura ending bosses play out.

I personally found Shura Isshin is easier as I had great difficulties handling spear-wielding enemies. 

On 3/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, Maverick6146 said:

I personally found Shura Isshin is easier as I had great difficulties handling spear-wielding enemies. 

Managed to complete the Shura ending last week and Sword Saint is definitely tougher than Isshin Ashina. Still took me a bunch of times to beat him, but his moveset was easy to counter having already learning 80% of it by beating Sword Saint. Phase 2 Isshin Ashina was a pain, but knowing how to avoid the unblockable attack made it easy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, StressEater said:

I have been deeply considering picking up this game. I keep hearing great things about it. But after reading this thread, I am starting to think that I will avoid this game. 

Get it. Its absolutely unreal. You can always cheese the bosses if needs be. 

7 hours ago, StressEater said:

I have been deeply considering picking up this game. I keep hearing great things about it. But after reading this thread, I am starting to think that I will avoid this game. 

If you are not highly skilled, or, have lots of time and patience on your hands, or, are a masochist, prepare to eat amounts of frustration to the point you'll wonder if it's worth it. The game itself is quite easy, mobs are uninteresting and you can breeze through levels if you play stealth, while some bosses that you can't cheese will throw some of the finest BS at you.

16 hours ago, Brightblade76 said:

I don't know about Isshin but Owl Father at Hirata is making me wanna quit trophy hunting altogether.

Have you managed to find all of the prayer beads to upgrade your vitality and posture?  It is also helpful to purchase the three mask fragments from the Pots Noble so you can upgrade your attack power.  I also had trouble with Owl Father at Hirata, but once I did these upgrades, I was able to have success.  Hopefully you will also find this to be helpful.

25 minutes ago, jpmelville said:

Have you managed to find all of the prayer beads to upgrade your vitality and posture?  It is also helpful to purchase the three mask fragments from the Pots Noble so you can upgrade your attack power.  I also had trouble with Owl Father at Hirata, but once I did these upgrades, I was able to have success.  Hopefully you will also find this to be helpful.

Thanks for your feedback, I was about to post that I've managed to defeat him as soon as I wrote my rant on this thread, but the browser crashed and the message was lost.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, Brightblade76 said:

If you are not highly skilled, or, have lots of time and patience on your hands, or, are a masochist, prepare to eat amounts of frustration to the point you'll wonder if it's worth it. The game itself is quite easy, mobs are uninteresting and you can breeze through levels if you play stealth, while some bosses that you can't cheese will throw some of the finest BS at you.

That is exactly why I am thinking about avoiding the game. I love challenging games because the Trophies just feel so much more rewarding. But at the same time, I don't want to get there bathed in frustration, anger, and hatred. 

Sword Saint Isshin went down in a reasonable amount of attempts, took me way more attempts to master the Genichiro fight, which I've actually found quite fun, while Owl 2.0 is still on top of my personal BS leaderboard. Looking forward to clearing the Shura ending and get done, after several therapeutic rants in this thread, of course.

Edited by Brightblade76

On 6/9/2020 at 7:12 AM, Brightblade76 said:

Sword Saint Isshin went down in a reasonable amount of attempts, took me way more attempts to master the Genichiro fight, which I've actually found quite fun, while Owl 2.0 is still on top of my personal BS leaderboard. Looking forward to clearing the Shura ending and get done, after several therapeutic rants in this thread, of course.