Chinese subtitles only...

Paul

On 4/26/2019 at 3:53 AM, Eraezr said:

It would be ludicrous if the Chinese version is not censored, given that country's reputation for content curation.

This doesn't necessarily mean it will release in Mainland China. Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Malaysia will all get the Asian version with Chinese subtitles. :) 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Van-Helsings said:

wait, NA and EU versions will be censored? anybody knows what the difference between censored and uncensored?

cen·sorship
/ˈsensərSHip/

noun
1. the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
Edited by Property_Damage
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Van-Helsings said:

wait, NA and EU versions will be censored? anybody knows what the difference between censored and uncensored?

There will almost certainly be audio changes for the English dub, if that voice actor tweet from a few weeks back is anything to go by but other that - it's unknown as to exactly what will and won't be censored.

10 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

There will almost certainly be audio changes for the English dub, if that voice actor tweet from a few weeks back is anything to go by but other that - it's unknown as to exactly what will and won't be censored.

but there is no nudity in the game, so what would they even censor?

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, jrdemr said:

For those that have played the PS3 version, does this censorship affect content that was already in the original, or does it only affect new content present in the Full Body edition?

The PS3 version is uncensored. Only the new content in Full Body will be censored. 

3 hours ago, jrdemr said:

For those that have played the PS3 version, does this censorship affect content that was already in the original, or does it only affect new content present in the Full Body edition?

Most, if not all of it, concerns Eric(a), a character from original game, biological man who changed his gender.

It's impossible to find out what exactly was censored, but interviews suggest 4 Eric(a) points.

1. His name was changed in the game credits.

2. Allegedly, every instance of Eric was changed into Erica (even when he was still a man and called himself Eric).

3. References made by other characters to him being a man were removed.

4. Possibly, an ending involving Eric was altered, but it's not confirmed.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/05/24/atlus-catherine-full-body-transphobic-content-remove/

https://www.themix.net/2019/05/catherine-full-body-western-release-to-feature-script-changes-regarding-transgender-character/

The original game is uncensored, as well as JP Full Body.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Most, if not all of it, concerns Eric(a), a character from original game, biological man who changed his gender.

It's impossible to find out what exactly was censored, but interviews suggest 4 Eric(a) points.

2. Allegedly, every instance of Eric was changed into Erica (even when he was still a man and called himself Eric).

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/05/24/atlus-catherine-full-body-transphobic-content-remove/

https://www.themix.net/2019/05/catherine-full-body-western-release-to-feature-script-changes-regarding-transgender-character/

Is the Asian version also uncensored?

18 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Is the Asian version also uncensored?

Should be, unless they altered something for the Chinese market. I don't remember any instances of trans-related censorship in China, so I doubt they botched it.

56 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Thanks for the explanation. I played the PS3 original, so I was just curious.

So if I understood correctly, then content that was uncensored on the PS3 version and that carried over to Full Body is now censored?

Well, that sucks. I was already pretty sure that I wasn't going to buy the new version since I already have the original and ATLUS re-releases aren't usually all that good (even though it does come with dual audio), but this news pretty much just cemented it for me.

51 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Should be, unless they altered something for the Chinese market. I don't remember any instances of trans-related censorship in China, so I doubt they botched it.

Fingers crossed then for the South East Asian (English) version that has just shown up on the Singapore PS Store :).

• 1 month later...