Reviews are out...

Neef-GT5

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Cry me a river.

The last time I've took reviews seriously when I was about to buy a $60 game was back in 2014 - 2015. Since then I've made up my own mind because we depend too much on the words of others, particularly those of strangers that we would otherwise never have any interest in knowing that will somehow sway me into either buying the product they're praising or stay away from this product at all costs.

I've enjoyed games that were obscure and few liked. I've hated games that were overrated that everybody seemed to love.

Maybe the Metacritic reviews being a bit lower for Days Gone may actually tempt me to get it sooner than I normally would for new AAA games. Websites such as IGN and Gamespot have long ago lost their credibility to me. These people are paid well to review a new AAA game and it probably doesn't matter if they rate it dogshit or give it a gold medal.

Despite what some others will say on this thread, the big websites get money thrown their way because they care about the profits. If you're going to get a game based entirely on what the reviews say, then I suggest you guys read through a few of them, look at a fair sample size and then judge for yourself if and when you're going to buy a game.

I want somebody reading this thread to make a comment on my post and try to refute it.

Well said. Let's not forget that one of IGNs original points to dislike the game was because the protagonist was a white male, lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

A healthy dose of both educating yourself on a game before buying it, and keeping an open mind and judging a game on it's own merits, are the key to success.

Too many people pick sides with everything these days, and demonize the one they aren't on.

What has he done that gives you the notion that he's not educating himself?

It's not about blindly picking sides as it is making up his own mind and sticking with it.

I criticized God of War 2018 last year and people jumped on me for it because I wasn't giving it enough chances. I felt Marvel's Spider-Man was a rather boring open world game that started getting a little stale a few hours in, and the side content was far from great.

Days Gone may be the same, but I can't make that judgement entirely because I haven't played it.

This is why I don’t read reviews from anyone or anywhere anymore. We all have different taste. Most reviews think the complete opposite of my opinion about 95% of the time.

Yes anyone can be a reviewer, so take that knowledge of thinking that and quit reading reviews because none of them truly know how you’ll feel about the game.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

A healthy dose of both educating yourself on a game before buying it, and keeping an open mind and judging a game on it's own merits, are the key to success.

Too many people pick sides with everything these days, and demonize the one they aren't on.

I educate myself and I do look to the occasional reviews that talk about factual things and talk about intricacies of gameplay mechanics and stuff. But it's not easy to find that in the sea of personal opinion. Looking at a hard number on something like metacritic is pointless and should be demonized IMO.

The review system as a whole is a joke though. DmC was a great example of this for me. I know a guy that gave it a negative review, when I knew for a fact that he liked it. When I asked him why he said "if I disagree with AngryJoe, I risk losing mutual subscribers, which means my kids might not eat next week. I'm not risking that". From that moment on, I've found it extremely hard to take reviews seriously. A system where someones paycheck is based on their opinion fitting a mold should be demonized IMO.

At the end of the day, a friend will buy the game eventually and I'll take their opinion over a reviewers any day. I have an idea of what they like, they have an idea of what I like. That opinion is a million times more valuable to me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spaz said:

7 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

I educate myself

Pretty sure he was agreeing with your point and making a general statement, rather than calling you out.

Only things in ACG's review that concern me are the technical issues. The sound bug where he had to start a totally different game to correct it sounds particularly troublesome. Still getting the game tomorrow though as I enjoy open world games and the review scores are good enough.

Edited by Killbomb

18 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It's not about blindly picking sides as it is making up his own mind and sticking with it.

I criticized God of War 2018 last year and people jumped on me for it because I wasn't giving it enough chances. I felt Marvel's Spider-Man was a rather boring open world game that started getting a little stale a few hours in, and the side content was far from great.

Days Gone may be the same, but I can't make that judgement entirely because I haven't played it.

It was more of a general statement than anything directed at him personally.

In the same sense there are a lot of people who stubbornly follow the popular trends and don't necessarily look at unpopular games in a rational and open minded light... there's such thing as being too stubborn and biased in the process of making up your own mind (especially once you start expressing your opinions publicly and don't respect your audience).  Hence why it's important to approach most things in life with an open mind, make your own judgements... but also accept and understand what other people have to say too (taking highly opinionated matters with a grain of salt of course).

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheYuriG said:

Pretty sure he was agreeing with your point and making a general statement, rather than calling you out.

I didn't feel like he was calling me out lol. If what I said sounded defensive, I didn't mean for it too. Just keeping the conversation going.

3 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

When I asked him why he said "if I disagree with AngryJoe, I risk losing mutual subscribers, which means my kids might not eat next week. I'm not risking that". From that moment on, I've found it extremely hard to take reviews seriously. A system where someones paycheck is based on their opinion fitting a mold should be demonized IMO.

I have known Angry Joe from YouTube since around 2011 and he is one of the most well known reviewers out there. He can say it sucks in his style of video format as he has maintained for a number of years now. I know Angry Joe best when he goes on his bitching sessions like the one he pulled off when Batman: Arkham Knight was running like shit on Steam.

Sadly, there are sheep out there who will take what Angry Joe, James Rolfe (AVGN) or PewdiePie say in their videos and think everything that is mentioned to be true, without thinking for themselves. That is not expressing your own self, that's just taking what somebody, usually a stranger's opinion on something over your own.

That's how the YouTube system works. If anything I will watch the smaller guys on that website, while they lack the general audience the bigger channels have I find them to be much more intriguing and to the point. While I have nothing against those guys on the big channels, it's clear they are in it for the money.

We'll just have to see what people here will think of the game when it comes out. I won't be buying it for a while still because I'm broke, but also because it's yet another open world game that I have no real interest in diving into right away.

People rated God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man highly and were giving both games 10 out of 10 without question. Maybe they smartened up a bit and realized that Days Gone is using the same type of format that Horizon Zero Dawn standardized. I don't know, I'm just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm fairly close to the mark.

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

I have known Angry Joe from YouTube since around 2011 and he is one of the most well known reviewers out there. He can say it sucks in his style of video format as he has maintained for a number of years now. I know Angry Joe best when he goes on his bitching sessions like the one he pulled off when Batman: Arkham Knight was running like shit on Steam.

Sadly, there are sheep out there who will take what Angry Joe, James Rolfe (AVGN) or PewdiePie say in their videos and think everything that is mentioned to be true, without thinking for themselves. That is not expressing your own self, that's just taking what somebody, usually a stranger's opinion on something over your own.

That's how the YouTube system works. If anything I will watch the smaller guys on that website, while they lack the general audience the bigger channels have I find them to be much more intriguing and to the point. While I have nothing against those guys on the big channels, it's clear they are in it for the money.

We'll just have to see what people here will think of the game when it comes out. I won't be buying it for a while still because I'm broke, but also because it's yet another open world game that I have no real interest in diving into right away.

People rated God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man highly and were giving both games 10 out of 10 without question. Maybe they smartened up a bit and realized that Days Gone is using the same type of format that Horizon Zero Dawn standardized. I don't know, I'm just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm fairly close to the mark.

Not exactly a good choice of person who only plays bad retro games

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not exactly a good choice of person who only plays bad retro games

I've followed James since 2006, and while he still does review bad video games from back in the day, he has expanded into other ventures.

I don't agree with everything he does to a T, so that's what I have to say.

Just now, Spaz said:

I've followed James since 2006, and while he still does review bad video games from back in the day, he has expanded into other ventures.

I don't agree with everything he does to a T, so that's what I have to say.

He's done other things? I've only ever watched his nerd episodes

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Cry me a river.

The last time I've took reviews seriously when I was about to buy a $60 game was back in 2014 - 2015. Since then I've made up my own mind because we depend too much on the words of others, particularly those of strangers that we would otherwise never have any interest in knowing that will somehow sway me into either buying the product they're praising or stay away from this product at all costs.

I've enjoyed games that were obscure and few liked. I've hated games that were overrated that everybody seemed to love.

Maybe the Metacritic reviews being a bit lower for Days Gone may actually tempt me to get it sooner than I normally would for new AAA games. Websites such as IGN and Gamespot have long ago lost their credibility to me. These people are paid well to review a new AAA game and it probably doesn't matter if they rate it dogshit or give it a gold medal.

Despite what some others will say on this thread, the big websites get money thrown their way because they care about the profits. If you're going to get a game based entirely on what the reviews say, then I suggest you guys read through a few of them, look at a fair sample size and then judge for yourself if and when you're going to buy a game.

I want somebody reading this thread to make a comment on my post and try to refute it.

Then again, you could just as easily approach the whole matter from the opposite perspective: would you just blindly jump in because a game looks glossy and is marketed with flashy trailers filled with cool action shots? Some outlets do deliver proper work on informing people correctly about what to expect.

I'll tell you what I honestly think. I've been in the industry for over ten years and as such, I've developed a keen sense for sniffing out overmarketed games which are meant to hype you beyond reason and warm up your wallet to 100°C. My instinct warned me back in the day about big titles such as No Man's Sky, RAGE and Fallout 76: games that people were losing their minds over, especially the former. I was proven right on all of those cases when they turned out to be lackluster or even utterly disappointing. I am not claiming to have a flawless record, but I am noticing that I am right in a severe majority of those cases.

I was not surfing the same wave of hype that so many people have been on for Days Gone. I was expecting it to disappoint, and that does turn out to be the case. I smiled when I saw the polarizing - and mostly mediocre - scores. Not because I enjoy watching a AAA game trip and fall, but because I saw my instinct was right again. If there is anything I'd loathe, it's the blind mob mentality that so many people (or sheep, in some cases) fall into. If you're upset that a game you've been losing sleep over or losing your mind over is getting lukewarm reception, you did that to yourself. Plain and simple. Keep your eyes open, don't set your expectations too high, and you'll have a much better time dealing with whatever gets thrown your way.

The same goes for RAGE 2 ... That game may still surprise me, but it will most likely not tick off the boxes needed to be a classic or even a great game, not by a long shot. I'm very skeptical about that game as well, and if I were you, I'd wait to put down any money for RAGE 2(*).

(*) Granted, I have not played a preview build yet, and I do not have a promotional copy (yet) as of this very moment, so take this with a grain of salt. But I am being very cautious about that game as well. Just as I was with Days Gone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I mean a metacritic score in the 70's is far from a bad game. I was never interested enough in this game to buy it at launch anyway, much like Sony's other first/second party titles as of late. 

Pretty much the point.

I personally haven't been too bewildered with Sony's stuff since after Horizon Zero Dawn. I said enough about God of War 2018 already. Detroit: Become Human comes off as meh. Marvel's Spider-Man is okay I guess, but does nothing we haven't seen already from Batman: Arkham Knight and other open world games that have pretty much dominated this console generation.

I very rarely buy anything at launch anymore. Having to pay $60 plus $30 - 40 for Season Passes is just too much.

13 minutes ago, Aponac1987 said:

I was not surfing the same wave of hype that so many people have been on for Days Gone. I was expecting it to disappoint, and that does turn out to be the case.

Was there really that much of a hype train for Days Gone?  I keep tabs on things pretty closely and I barely even heard the game mentioned up until Gamestop's 48 hour full credit return deal.  Which is neither a glowing endorsement for the game, or for the marketing leading up to launch.  Definitely the least anticipated of the PS4 exclusives by my own eye test.

Not to take any credit away from you, but I think most rational people who keep their expectations in check find themselves in the same "usually being right" boat.  It's just that most of the (vocal) gaming community aren't rational.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

There's one review there where a guy gave it a 30 because he personally found it boring. He knocked 70 points off for a completely subjective fault. I seriously fucking hate the modern review systems.

The day I let someone else tell me whether I like a game or not is the day I end it all lol.

Ultimately the best critic of any game is you and your own structured opinion

My advice - Nobody should ever ever base their decision on buying any game based on a Metacritic score. Metacritic is anecdotal data at best.

Its average takes into account both reputable media outlets and shite entities. It's bad metrics. An accurate score would be an average of all reputable news outlets and reviewers. So if you pulled out all of the guff which gives a game 10% for mundane pointless stuff like 'not enough bobs or vegana' or 'voice actor wasn't troy baker, shit game' and the 100% ratings for stuff like 'ITS A GAME SO IT'S GREAT' or 'this is a modern classic because it's a game about horses doing the macarena'. Then you'd be left with an accurate score.

The worst part is many game companies actually base the security of people's livelihoods and definition of success out of Metacritic data, which is truly terrible and kind of dangerous.

A far better approach is to find a cluster of reputable reviewers and just put time into reading/watching those or to download a demo where possible and give that a try from there.

• Like 3