Reviews are out...

Neef-GT5

Just now, DarkestBOO said:

I did not find Golden Abyss to be as good as Uncharted 1-3. Also, looking at a company's previous body of work for an idea or base line on quality of upcoming projects is a logical step to take regardless of what sized "leap" you think it is. 

You're entitled to your own opinion, but I think it's at least as good as Drake's Fortune. And yes, which is why I found it strange that you omitted Golden Abyss considering how it was their last proper game.

• Like 2

Can't say I'm surprised. I probably won't get it until it pops up on a sale. Last time I bought a new game on release was God of War 3....the PS3 version. These days I wait around 2 or 3 months after the hype dies down so I can get to the actual reviews of the game done by actual people, not ad-bots.

• Like 1

i'm actually not so surprised...

1- people got tired of the zombies games.

2- the hype of this game died out due to delays.

3- the game was overshadowed by bigger releases like God of War, Marvel Spider-Man.

4- a lot's of people kinda get burned out by open world games.

i'm actuallysurprised it hit's 70 on metacritic.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hanzoadam said:

With the reviews I think I'd be a little disappointed if I'd pre-ordered and paid for it

luckily though I won a limited edition copy so I'll be playing it

unsure about stores elsewhere, my EB has always let me cancel a preorder even if i paid it off and the game is out. i cancelled left alive after. swapped to days gone. and now cancelling days gone on Saturday 

I should receive the game tomorrow. I never rely on reviews, I'll just form my own opinion. If a game I like gets good reviews I'm glad but other than that I couldn't care less what "reviewers" think about games. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I think it’s better to look up streamers and lets plays than reviewers. If you’re going with reviews, it’s best to ignore the arbitrary number and read what they actually say about it. Then if they say something stupid, You can just disregard it. Often times they highlight an issue that isn’t even one (like whining about political things). Or they describe something as a negative when it reads like a positive for you. Like turn based combat. 

I’d much rather watch a streamer live and see how the game performs and get their impressions than read a reviewer from the type of people who whine about having to play a hard game and how challenging it is to do the job of play games then review them. Cry me a river, reviewers. 

Especially combined with talentless hacks who don’t even finish games (IGN Toukiden review), or play on easy then complain a game is boring, and other stupid things they get caught doing all the time.

edit: good grief triple post

Very well said

Seriously, who cares? Play it for yourself and decide whether it's worth your time. One of my favorite game series ever is Hyperdimension Neptunia, and it's never fared well among western critics. In fact the first game got horrible reviews and it made me fall in love with the series. 

No one should care about IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Polygon, PC Gamer or Kotaku reviews, they are all shit sites with shit reviews done by imbeciles who rarely play more then 50% of the game and play it on easy and then think they can write a educated review while trying to force their politic agendas down you throat. Youtubers like ACG, Jim Sterling or Skill Up are my favourites. Even Angryjoe has more competence then all sites mentioned prior.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

No one should care about IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Polygon, PC Gamer or Kotaku reviews, they are all shit sites with shit reviews done by imbeciles who rarely play more then 50% of the game and play it on easy and then think they can write a educated review while trying to force their politic agendas down you throat. Youtubers like ACG, Jim Sterling or Skill Up are my favourites. Even Angryjoe has more competence then all sites mentioned prior.

most of this is true, BUT IGN, Gamespot and your other picks aren't a single person. Maybe your description fits most of them, but not all. For example if I see a Review / Article by Tim Rogers or Jason Schreier (Kotaku) I'm interested in what they have to say. For me both of them have a high credibility. Don't get me wrong, the big sites are mostly packed with horrible content, but they also got their fair share of good journalism.

on topic: I'll take the ACG advice: wait for sale

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Alaquia said:

most of this is true, BUT IGN, Gamespot and your other picks aren't a single person. Maybe your description fits most of them, but not all. For example if I see a Review / Article by Tim Rogers or Jason Schreier (Kotaku) I'm interested in what they have to say. For me both of them have a high credibility. Don't get me wrong, the big sites are mostly packed with horrible content, but they also got their fair share of good journalism.

on topic: I'll take the ACG advice: wait for sale

True, Schreier is reliable but since i rarely visit Kotaku anymore becuase of all the awful articles i almost forgot about him. I know i'm dragging all sites in themud even though each site probably have 1 or 2 reliable reviewers those sites usually have a ton of bad or meme reviews where they say stupid stuff. Like IGN not playing B scenarios in REmake 2 and saying it was short and no difference between scenarios, Their Ace Combat review was really bad aswell.

It has become a race between all major review sites to get their review out online first with no quality control, it's all about the clicks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Yeah, I think Horizon Zero Dawn was the last Sony first party title I bought at launch. I haven't even played it yet, so that goes to show how little interest I have in it. :P God of War and Spider-Man received an enormous amount of praise and "hype" when they came out, but I have a hard time taking it all seriously. I'm sure they're good, but people were acting like they were these perfect masterpieces gifted from the Gods themselves. It's all very tiring to me listening to this stuff. :P I did play Detroit: Become Human (only after it had dropped in price significantly), and it really wasn't all it was cracked up to be tbh. Very medicore game.

While I think reviews can be useful when trying to make an informed purchasing decision, people take them waaaay too seriously sometimes. The score tells me nothing about the game itself, just how much the reviewer liked it, and that's very subjective.

I won't say these weren't good games because they are. It's just the hype surrounding these giant AAA blockbusters and what they're advertising.

I bought God of War 2018 a day after it was launched, so I essentially paid $60 for it. I probably would of been happier if it was a new IP, but quite frankly I didn't like the fact that there was virtually no explanation to what happened with Kratos after the events of God of War 3 and the beginning of 2018. We just see him in a world of Norse mythology, we have to spread his beloved one's ashes on top of a mountain, and we see his son Arteus wanting to tag along with his bow and arrow.

Seeing a bunch of 10 out of 10s is disheartening. I just think people rated that because these games showcase the very best graphically especially when played on a 4K TV and PS4 Pro.

Detroit: Become Human is more Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls fare. Heavy Rain is still pretty good, but the other two games are.... meh.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

There's one review there where a guy gave it a 30 because he personally found it boring. He knocked 70 points off for a completely subjective fault. I seriously fucking hate the modern review systems.

The day I let someone else tell me whether I like a game or not is the day I end it all lol.

That's what a review is. Someone's subjective thoughts about something. Its impossible to have a completely objective review.

10 hours ago, Aponac1987 said:

I can confirm that some big outlets dance to the tunes of big publishers. I've dealt with it firsthand as part of a big international outlet: in the past I wrote a lukewarm E3 preview article of a big title that shall remain nameless. The associated publisher complained against my boss, I got the short end of the stick an one of my colleagues got sent to a future press event to write a more positive article about said game. A few months later, I quit, because I disagreed wholeheartedly about how the editorial office is being run. If our integrity as journalists is compromised at a certain brand, I denounce it fully and I do not wish to be a part of it. And I pride myself on that.

Care to tell me what the game is?

10 hours ago, Aponac1987 said:

Well, here's the thing: a lot of games coming out are worthy of playing, in my opinion. It's the entry fee at launch which is at the source of the problem. Very few games are worth purchasing at 70 EUR/USD (I'm not sure what price point games are set at launch in the US, but I can imagine it's something along the European lines). But a lot of people are falling in the general "Want It Now" mentality that has taken hold of our society. Wait a few months, and you'll see big titles getting big price cuts. Which will happen even sooner if the masses decide to hold off their purchases at launch. It's simple economics. But as long as the majority of gamers keep paying full price at launch for most games, we're not going to see any change anytime soon.

And if you look rather closely at how the industry has progressed, you'll see that the open world format has become the new standard mold for a lot of franchises. Which translates into - a few more amazing, but mostly -  a lot more mediocre, and sometimes even bad, open world games. The formula is growing stale, indeed.

Much of my library consists of games from 2012 - 2017, some older, some newer. Though someone in my position can blame themselves since I put myself facing a backlog of 100 games, which I paid a couple thousand dollars for. 

Well, it’s more than that. If you want the Complete Package, that’s around $80 - 120 for some games. Assassins Creed Odyssey was offered as an Ultimate Edition for $119.99, which I pretty much said “fuck it”. NBA 2K19 was offered at around $90. 

It pays to wait for sales. Plenty of indie games are offered occasionally. I just bought Trine 3 last month for around $3.99 when it is normally $19.99. Though I will argue that indie games at launch are worth more bang for your buck. 

These days, I have to pay $60 for a new AAA game, download the Day 1 update/patch, regularly update it, be on the lookout for DLC, and pay more money. It is ridiculous at this point.

Ubisoft is basically the leader in Season Passes, shoving out their products like an assembly line as it were fast food. Now they have the nerve to offer Ultimate Editions that go for over $100 on PS Store. Then of course, their games are generally buggy and have glitches on release. Which goes back to the Day 1 patch. 

By waiting a few months those games are “complete” rather than unfinished. The greedy publishers out there just want to shove those games out to line their pockets. Ubisoft is a clear indication. So is EA and Activision, and to a lesser extent Square Enix. 

I will say that today, Marvel’s Spider-Man is worth getting. The patches have been made, there is that deal of its Season Pass that grants you access to all three story DLC packs, and it’s much more optimized. I can get the game for cheap if I look hard enough and I can get the Season Pass, all for a little over $60. 

The open world format has gotten me to look at other ventures. It was good back when Assassins Creed 2 came out because then open world was still relatively new at a time when it was basically Rockstar Games making the open world genre. Today it has taken hold on just about all the mainstream western video game franchises. 

I would vouch for a linear experience than another open world atrocity.

This is exactly why I don't buy games day 1 anymore for the following reasons.

1. Wait for the devs to release a few patches to smooth out the problems that gamers have picked up on.

2. You'll get it cheaper anyways later on.

3. Look at some let's plays on youtube and decide if it's for you because some reviewers are shit. (expect for easy allies and ACG)

4. I still have a huge backlog.:giggle:

5. Be very careful for the HYPE TRAIN.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dwightsarmy14 said:

That's what a review is. Someone's subjective thoughts about something. Its impossible to have a completely objective review.

He didn't call for complete objectivity. He found the score, review, and explanation to be bad.

6 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Everyone you named is joke to me.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not a surprise really.

in fact, I’m a little shocked it’s so high.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - beware the games that have massive marketing campaigns pre-release.

good games can rely on word of mouth and good reviews.

bad games need to rope people in before they get a chance to be told not to buy by other people.

A bunch of games had big marketing campaigns and they were great. Re2, DMC5 for example and they are my goty so far hands down