Reviews are out...

Neef-GT5

17 minutes ago, KainDMD said:

A bunch of games had big marketing campaigns and they were great. Re2, DMC5 for example and they are my goty so far hands down

Not even close to Day’s Gone’s marketing blitz. 

For months now, I haven’t been able to go on any social media wthout a barrage of Day’s Gone stuff. 

I haven’t seen this level of over-marketing since Homefront, and we know how that turned out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not even close to Day’s Gone’s marketing blitz. 

For months now, I haven’t been able to go on any social media wthout a barrage of Day’s Gone stuff. 

I haven’t seen this level of over-marketing since Homefront, and we know how that turned out.

I still believe they were big and to be honest the only place I saw a trailer for day's gone was the what's new section on the ps4 menu, which is understandable because they do the same with all the ps4 games

15 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

i'm actually not so surprised...

1- people got tired of the zombies games.

2- the hype of this game died out due to delays.

3- the game was overshadowed by bigger releases like God of War, Marvel Spider-Man.

4- a lot's of people kinda get burned out by open world games.

i'm actuallysurprised it hit's 70 on metacritic.

Oh yes! Personally I think it's too much now. Every game seems to be an open world game today.

On the subject of ratings. I check them and out and find them interesting but it don't necessarily mean that you like/dislike certain games as well. Best example for me is Ni No Kuni II. This game would be a 30 or so for me but is a 84 at Metacritic.

Edited by Gommes_

God guys, you’re talking about it like it’s shit. It’s far from it, Actully one of the best games of the year so far.

15 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

i'm actually not so surprised...

1- people got tired of the zombies games.

2- the hype of this game died out due to delays.

3- the game was overshadowed by bigger releases like God of War, Marvel Spider-Man.

4- a lot's of people kinda get burned out by open world games.

i'm actuallysurprised it hit's 70 on metacritic.

1. Not a zombie game 

2. No the hype didn’t die down, just your hype did

3. Nah it didn’t get overshadowed by those games that came out a year ago.

4. You’re burned out on open world games, doesn’t mean everyone else is.

I’ve played about 3-4 hours so far and can say it’s one of the best game so far this year.

Fuck what the reviews say, they don’t mean shit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Care to tell me what the game is?

Much of my library consists of games from 2012 - 2017, some older, some newer. Though someone in my position can blame themselves since I put myself facing a backlog of 100 games, which I paid a couple thousand dollars for. 

Well, it’s more than that. If you want the Complete Package, that’s around $80 - 120 for some games. Assassins Creed Odyssey was offered as an Ultimate Edition for $119.99, which I pretty much said “fuck it”. NBA 2K19 was offered at around $90. 

It pays to wait for sales. Plenty of indie games are offered occasionally. I just bought Trine 3 last month for around $3.99 when it is normally $19.99. Though I will argue that indie games at launch are worth more bang for your buck. 

These days, I have to pay $60 for a new AAA game, download the Day 1 update/patch, regularly update it, be on the lookout for DLC, and pay more money. It is ridiculous at this point.

Ubisoft is basically the leader in Season Passes, shoving out their products like an assembly line as it were fast food. Now they have the nerve to offer Ultimate Editions that go for over $100 on PS Store. Then of course, their games are generally buggy and have glitches on release. Which goes back to the Day 1 patch. 

By waiting a few months those games are “complete” rather than unfinished. The greedy publishers out there just want to shove those games out to line their pockets. Ubisoft is a clear indication. So is EA and Activision, and to a lesser extent Square Enix. 

I will say that today, Marvel’s Spider-Man is worth getting. The patches have been made, there is that deal of its Season Pass that grants you access to all three story DLC packs, and it’s much more optimized. I can get the game for cheap if I look hard enough and I can get the Season Pass, all for a little over $60. 

The open world format has gotten me to look at other ventures. It was good back when Assassins Creed 2 came out because then open world was still relatively new at a time when it was basically Rockstar Games making the open world genre. Today it has taken hold on just about all the mainstream western video game franchises. 

I would vouch for a linear experience than another open world atrocity.

Lol people still pay real money for games when you can just buy food and watch a million other people play the game for you who are much better than you? No need to play games at all actually when you can just watch it and see everything lol

Edited by KainDMD
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

God guys, you’re talking about it like it’s shit. It’s far from it, Actully one of the best games of the year so far.

1. Not a zombie game 

I’ve played about 3-4 hours so far and can say it’s one of the best game so far this year.

I couldn't agree with you more on this as I'm enjoying every minute of gameplay so far it feels like a proper survival game to me.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KainDMD said:

Lol people still pay real money for games when you can just buy food and watch a million other people play the game for you who are much better than you? No need to play games at all actually when you can just watch it and see everything lol

actually my buddy does that and it annoys me. example, i bought mk11. he didnt know it was coming out. suddenly he has all this "news" about it cause he watches some youtuber thing two best friends play. and he does this with anything im interested in.

he told me to get good with sekiro, which i stopped playing. i handed him the controller and said you do it. hes like well on two best friends they did this. im like no, get good. show me. either show me skills or shut up.

and he went quiet lol

point is yeah, he watches full playthroughs then  claims he knows the games in and out. and sticks to buying switch games and has said switch does 1080p... LOL.

1 hour ago, KainDMD said:

That’s how you kill an industry genius, also by watching gameplay on the internet you aren’t getting the Actual experience of the gameplay. 

3 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

actually my buddy does that and it annoys me. example, i bought mk11. he didnt know it was coming out. suddenly he has all this "news" about it cause he watches some youtuber thing two best friends play. and he does this with anything im interested in.

he told me to get good with sekiro, which i stopped playing. i handed him the controller and said you do it. hes like well on two best friends they did this. im like no, get good. show me. either show me skills or shut up.

and he went quiet lol

point is yeah, he watches full playthroughs then  claims he knows the games in and out. and sticks to buying switch games and has said switch does 1080p... LOL.

Lol you can’t learn everything about a game without playing it and experiencing it for yourself, people that just watch it on YouTube don’t get it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol you can’t learn everything about a game without playing it and experiencing it for yourself, people that just watch it on YouTube don’t get it.

exactly! lol. hes even said "why play it tho? i know what happens". its just like impossible to debate with those types of "gamers". 

like borderlands he keeps texting me these shift codes for keys that open garbage chests with maybe a blue item. i wanna just rush the game. its my 4th time through it. 1st on ps4. but jeez lol. level 31 after just beating Krom.... a little too leveled haha

• Like 1

Be it games or films I've never been bothered about the reviews be it good or bad as I always like to make up my own mind.

I've lost count of the games I've played and films I've seen that got panned in the reviews to find that I loved them!

Its all about personal preference and at the end of it all they can't please everyone.  I was tempted to preorder but I decided to just wait a while for this and MK11 to drop in price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

1. Not a zombie game 

How is it not a zombie game? Because they don't call them zombies?

I mean it's a zombie game in every way except them pretending they're unique enemies. Alright, let's imagine they announced this same game. You have no knowledge of "freakers" since this is an alternate universe where that doesn't exist. They announce Days Gone and start talking about the zombies in the game, calling them zombies. Would your first reaction be, "These aren't zombies!" No, you'd go "yep." Because they're zombies.

Is it because there's humans that it's not "a zombie game"? I don't see how that changes things either.

This is definitely a zombie game. So is TLoU.

• Like 1

Coming back on topic - i get what people are saying when 'trying it out' might mean spending a fair bit of money on something uncertain. And not all games have demos (which they 100% should as standard in my opinion).

If i'm not sure about a game, I will do as much research as possible from a collection of review sources. I generally think written reviews are struggling quite a bit and are a bit of a breeding ground for agendas that would be better pushed elsewhere. So I engage with alot of video reviews instead from people who play the whole game or at least 60+ hours of it. My go-to folks are:

Easy Allies - largely made up of many of the original IGN & Gametrailers crew - they put serious time into the reviews and discuss new releases free-form in their podcasts.

Skill-Up - He does long form video essay reviews, which are sometimes over an hour long but go into incredible depth.

Angry Joe - Mainly because his rage amuses me, but peel that back and he can often say some really insightful things.

Stay 100% away from Kotaku, Polygon & IGN. Kotaku is a shitshow of disorganization (Jason Schrier needs to get away from them), Polygon starts with an agenda and forms the review around it. IGN plays about 20 mins of the game in alot of cases, so much so that the IGN reviewers who actually do play the majorty/all of the game have to call out how many hours they've put in to assert it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

Be it games or films I've never been bothered about the reviews be it good or bad as I always like to make up my own mind.

I've read this comment a bunch in this thread. It suggests that somehow, when people do in fact read reviews, they don't make up their own mind. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Making decisions with additional information has been valued across cultures for many, many years. And that's what reviews provide: information.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

Thats like asking someone to have sex with your girlfriend while you watch. 

That made me laugh ? ? And you guys are right. I mean I like watching Let's plays on youtube but only for games I'm too scared to play myself (like Alien: Isolation). But I would never say I know everything about the game because I haven't played it myself and it's definitely different if you play it yourself or just watch it.

About Days Gone: I'm still not sure if I should buy it or not, it's seems like a lot of fun but the freakers seem a bit too much for me, lol.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I've read this comment a bunch in this thread. It suggests that somehow, when people do in fact read reviews, they don't make up their own mind. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Making decisions with additional information has been valued across cultures for many, many years. And that's what reviews provide: information.

That they do but reviews of others don't mean anything to me. Never have done and never will ? 

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Information can be useless. You can find information about the earth being flat, doesn't mean you should factor that in when you look at how the Earth or universe works.

You have to know about people to know if you can trust the information they give you. Especially with entertainment these days when there are reviewers who knock things just for being "offensive". And people who have other stupid petty grudges, or like I mentioned early don't even play the entire game (Toukiden IGN review; the reviewer literally admitted to not finishing the game, but had played "enough Monster Hunter" to review this completely different game in the same genre. From the review, I'm confident she only actually played the demo as everything you can gain from that "information" in the review is found in the demo... including her talking about the story which was a negative, but she didn't see the entire story...)

Or they gimp the experience themselves and base their review on it. Like playing on easy or something. Generally most games can get pretty dull on easy, so what good is a review like that? What kind of useful information does that tell me?

Or hey, how about that LittleBigPlanet Karting review from IGN again. The entire review is bitching about how it doesn't play like ModNation Racers. The reviewer literally just wanted a MNR2 out of a completely different kart racer and that was the review.

I remember way back GameTrailer's reviews for that Wii Nights into Dreams game saying the pointer controls were 'bad' but on the editing they showed the cursor far away from the character, which the tutorial literally explains makes you control worse so you have to keep it close to the character. It's how the mechanic is built, and it's negative since they didn't play the game correctly.

There are endless examples of this kind of thing. And it's better to just forgo reviews entirely and find other avenues to gain information.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Information can be useless. You can find information about the earth being flat, doesn't mean you should factor that in when you look at how the Earth or universe works.

You have to know about people to know if you can trust the information they give you. 

You're being pedantic. Of course it is required to know that info comes from a source you can trust. However, that's not the same as coming from a source that you agree with, despite the conflation of these two by so many people.

20 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

There are endless examples of this kind of thing. And it's better to just forgo reviews entirely and find other avenues to gain information.

I try not to throw babies out with bathwater.

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't usually see too much marketing for things (mostly because I'm not really "with it"), but even in my old man ways, I've seen a lot for Days Gone. I get interrupted on Youtube by it all the time (or, I did, prior to release). 

BTW, and totally unrelated to this, but the image on your trophy card is Lara Croft, I presume. Is she a zombie?

Edited by starcrunch061

On 4/25/2019 at 8:33 AM, KingGuy420 said:

There's one review there where a guy gave it a 30 because he personally found it boring. He knocked 70 points off for a completely subjective fault. I seriously fucking hate the modern review systems.

The day I let someone else tell me whether I like a game or not is the day I end it all lol.

He's telling you he did not like the game. Not whether you would like it. All reviews are subjective. The problem is people reading the reviews have usually already made up their minds and if the review doesn't conform to that it's the reviewers fault. Reviews are to help you make an informed decision, not make a decision for you. 

On 4/25/2019 at 8:26 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - beware the games that have massive marketing campaigns pre-release.

good games can rely on word of mouth and good reviews.

bad games need to rope people in before they get a chance to be told not to buy by other people.

Not mention beware of games that review embargos lift day of release (by day of release I mean the same day that GameStop released the game on 4/25/19 @ 9:00pm.

3 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

How is it not a zombie game? Because they don't call them zombies?

I mean it's a zombie game in every way except them pretending they're unique enemies. Alright, let's imagine they announced this same game. You have no knowledge of "freakers" since this is an alternate universe where that doesn't exist. They announce Days Gone and start talking about the zombies in the game, calling them zombies. Would your first reaction be, "These aren't zombies!" No, you'd go "yep." Because they're zombies.

Is it because there's humans that it's not "a zombie game"? I don't see how that changes things either.

This is definitely a zombie game. So is TLoU.

Nah, they aren’t, and it’s not just a them calling them something different, they act different than your typical zombie, they drink, they sleep, not except zombies.

5 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

1. Not a zombie game 

it's decent, but definitely not the best ps4 exclusive, I don't follow reviews either.....

so The Last of Us got the infected that they're not technically Zombies.. the dead won't comeback to life, they barely seen eating corpses, they still think and breathing and feal the pain... and people were like it's a zombie game!

this got these super powered human enemies and when been called zombies people got mad saying it's not a zombie game?

so why the last of us is a zombie game while this one is not then?

22 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Nah, they aren’t, and it’s not just a them calling them something different, they act different than your typical zombie, they drink, they sleep, not except zombies.

Like 28 Days Later is not a Zombie movies Infected and Zombies are two different thing

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

You're being pedantic. Of course it is required to know that info comes from a source you can trust. However, that's not the same as coming from a source that you agree with, despite the conflation of these two by so many people.

I try not to throw babies out with bathwater.

I tend to disregard things after they prove consistently shitty for years on end. Rather than expect things to just magically be better despite evidence it’s only worsened. 

Even when they aren’t shit, which is rare, they aren’t saying anything you can’t find from a YouTuber, streamer, general gameplay, or just random gamers talking about it. But hey, do you. 

30 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

They don’t act like your typical zombie, so you’re saying they’re zombies? Being slightly different doesn’t make them not zombies. Left 4 Dead has zombies that don’t act like your “typical zombie” too. So does Killing Floor with its Zeds, doesn’t make them not zombies.