Reviews are out...

Neef-GT5

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

BTW, and totally unrelated to this, but the image on your trophy card is Lara Croft, I presume. Is she a zombie?

Um... no?

what’s this about Zambies?

i’m playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so its from that... 

Edit - oh, hah - I never see my own trophy card (i use my phone for this site) but I just looked at it - that is weird. I don’t know why the art is like that ?? haven’t got to the end though, maybe its story related for the end.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I've played about 7 or 8 hours so far and I'm loving this game. I haven't encountered any notable issues with the game aside from a very long loading screen the first time I started up the game and some awkward movements particularly from the freakers. Movement can feel a little clunky, but not as bad as RDR2. Guns feel a little difficult to handle compared to other games, but I think it's actually very suitable for the survival aspect of this game. You actually have to take the time to place your shots instead of emptying clips into enemies. I've only used lower tier weapons so far, so maybe handling will improve with higher tiers. The bike handles well and fuel hasn't been as big as an issue as I've heard. I need to play through more of the story before I can say anything worthwhile about it or the characters. For now, I'll just say I'm invested in the story and Deacon. I'll probably make another post once I've progressed further through the game, but so far this game seems very much worth the full price. 

• Like 1

Honestly, i don't think the reviews are reflective of the game. This is a game i had no hype for so i don't really feel a need to justify my purchase or excitement by talking it up but these reviews are just poor at best.

From what I've read, some of the reviewers giving it poor scores have had their trophies uncovered that show they didn't even get far in the game. Throw in the subjective opinions and actual 'professional' reviewers who are taking points off because they don't agree with the skin colours of characters shows me that this is one of those games that you just need to give a bit of time. Once actual players have had enough time to get their teeth in, word of mouth will give it the reputation it deserves.

Edited by Terarded
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I tend to disregard things after they prove consistently shitty for years on end. Rather than expect things to just magically be better despite evidence it’s only worsened. 

Even when they aren’t shit, which is rare, they aren’t saying anything you can’t find from a YouTuber, streamer, general gameplay, or just random gamers talking about it. But hey, do you. 

They don’t act like your typical zombie, so you’re saying they’re zombies? Being slightly different doesn’t make them not zombies. Left 4 Dead has zombies that don’t act like your “typical zombie” too. So does Killing Floor with its Zeds, doesn’t make them not zombies. 

Well, they literally aren’t zombies by the typical definition.

The whole "hype" train is overly saturated and has been done to death at this point.

Days Gone could be categorized in the same realm as God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man. But beyond the impressive graphics and excellent presentation I find these newer exclusives to be shallow and dull. I'm getting sick of these blockbuster multi-million dollar projects going open world, as if they're all trying to copy Assassins Creed, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto and Far Cry for the sake of adding more time to extend their shelf life.

A lot of the masses don't want a linear experience anymore. It has to be fully multiplayer or it has to be a single player spectacle where there is dozens of hours of content well beyond the main story. Unpopular opinion, I enjoyed The Order: 1886 and Until Dawn, despite both games not being quite as popular as Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man or God of War 2018. But you would of never seen me pay $60 for either of them, and Ready at Dawn studios got what they deserved because they charged $60 for a 3 - 5 hour game. That is simply too much money for the content it offered. When I paid $20 for The Order: 1886 back in 2015 I thought it was great. I paid less than what Until Dawn was being charged for at launch and I also really enjoyed it.

I can expect Days Gone to follow in the footsteps of Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Marvel's Spider-Man. Of the four Sony exclusives Uncharted 4 is the least open world, but compared to the past Uncharted games it is a lot more open and spacious. It also has a terribly slow start and the game doesn't really get going until about midway through. God of War 2018 is more open world than Uncharted 4. Marvel's Spider-Man takes everything that Assassins Creed and other games that made the open world genre standard and makes it better. But it doesn't do anything substantial on it's own and it didn't do anything that Batman: Arkham Knight and other games already did.

This time around I may buy Days Gone earlier than I normally might because of the scores I've been seeing across the internet. At least it's not constant 10 out of 10 scores like I saw for God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man, pretty much praising those games out the ass because shiny graphics and 4K spectacles win with the masses.

Then again, having yet another zombie apocalypse game hit the market to much hype doesn't wow me. We have enough games with zombies. The presentation is great, the graphics are great, the game is streamlined and stuff in the menu and submenus is easily accessible, but it looks to be rather shallow after a good 10 - 20 hours in. I may get it just because this game takes place in Oregon, which is sadly underrepresented in a lot of video game media and culture.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, starcrunch061 said:

You're being pedantic. Of course it is required to know that info comes from a source you can trust. However, that's not the same as coming from a source that you agree with, despite the conflation of these two by so many people.

I try not to throw babies out with bathwater.

I don't usually see too much marketing for things (mostly because I'm not really "with it"), but even in my old man ways, I've seen a lot for Days Gone. I get interrupted on Youtube by it all the time (or, I did, prior to release). 

BTW, and totally unrelated to this, but the image on your trophy card is Lara Croft, I presume. Is she a zombie?

Lol thats the cover art for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, not a zombie just really beat up and dirty. I'm not sure how you didn't know that.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:19 PM, Spaz said:

The whole "hype" train is overly saturated and has been done to death at this point.

Days Gone could be categorized in the same realm as God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man. But beyond the impressive graphics and excellent presentation I find these newer exclusives to be shallow and dull. I'm getting sick of these blockbuster multi-million dollar projects going open world, as if they're all trying to copy Assassins Creed, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto and Far Cry for the sake of adding more time to extend their shelf life.

A lot of the masses don't want a linear experience anymore. It has to be fully multiplayer or it has to be a single player spectacle where there is dozens of hours of content well beyond the main story. Unpopular opinion, I enjoyed The Order: 1886 and Until Dawn, despite both games not being quite as popular as Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man or God of War 2018. But you would of never seen me pay $60 for either of them, and Ready at Dawn studios got what they deserved because they charged $60 for a 3 - 5 hour game. That is simply too much money for the content it offered. When I paid $20 for The Order: 1886 back in 2015 I thought it was great. I paid less than what Until Dawn was being charged for at launch and I also really enjoyed it.

I can expect Days Gone to follow in the footsteps of Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Marvel's Spider-Man. Of the four Sony exclusives Uncharted 4 is the least open world, but compared to the past Uncharted games it is a lot more open and spacious. It also has a terribly slow start and the game doesn't really get going until about midway through. God of War 2018 is more open world than Uncharted 4. Marvel's Spider-Man takes everything that Assassins Creed and other games that made the open world genre standard and makes it better. But it doesn't do anything substantial on it's own and it didn't do anything that Batman: Arkham Knight and other games already did.

This time around I may buy Days Gone earlier than I normally might because of the scores I've been seeing across the internet. At least it's not constant 10 out of 10 scores like I saw for God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man, pretty much praising those games out the ass because shiny graphics and 4K spectacles win with the masses.

Then again, having yet another zombie apocalypse game hit the market to much hype doesn't wow me. We have enough games with zombies. The presentation is great, the graphics are great, the game is streamlined and stuff in the menu and submenus is easily accessible, but it looks to be rather shallow after a good 10 - 20 hours in. I may get it just because this game takes place in Oregon, which is sadly underrepresented in a lot of video game media and culture.

Yet another zombie apocalypse game? I mean theres nothing quite like Days Gone out there so I don't know what you mean by "yet another zombie apocalypse game".

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
posted the same response mutiple times by accident.
  • Like 1

I'm definitely going to pick up this game at some point, but it'll be at least half-a-year before I take the plunge. My backlog is bad enough as it is and Days Gone just isn't what I consider to be early bird worthy. I hope people who've bought it are enjoying it, though!

I dont get how critics play open world games, would be interesting to watch. I doubt they explore at all, the reality of many open world games and the words from critics just dont add up. 

Im so glad I dont go on reviews when buying games, I feel like I would have missed so much fun :)

I had only watched  one trailer for this game, the first one. I thought it looked fun and preordered it. 

I have now played several hours and love it so far. 

A tip for those who havent started yet. The first thing you should upgrade on the bike is the tyres, make the steering so much better, it feel so wobbly in the start :) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

So Jirard just put out his review. This is the only review that matters. He actually went out of his way to complete everything before he put out his reviews where as the major critics didn't even finish the game. If you're still on the fence I'd check out this video. No spoilers here other.

But what I've gathered is the critics wanted to hate this game and have it fail. That's probably why they rushed out reviews and didn't even bother to finish the game. Where as the consumers are mostly enjoying it.

I really wish major reviews required you to beat the game before you released your review, but can't have that because most of them can't beat the games in the first place or don't care enough to.

I didn't even know this Youtuber exists. This guy is great. I bookmarked his channel.

I only look at ACG for game reviews, but going to look at Jirad's now as well.

Thank you!

Edited by Chocolat_GiddyUp
  • Like 1

Just now, Chocolat_GiddyUp said:

I didn't even know this Youtuber exists. This guy is great. I bookmarked his YouTube channel. Thank you!

You're welcome! He's definitely my favorite! I would recommend watching his twitch streams too if you get the chance. Hes also has a let's play channel and is in a Boyband. He's so genuine and puts so much work into his content. He doesn't review every single new game of course because that would be insane. He does 6 completions/reviews a month and none of the games he does are quick/easy ones.

• Like 1

Wow people really do take offense to review scores. The scores for Days Gone generally aren't even low, so the bitching is truly laughable. Try reading the reviews, the content is more informative than a score anyway.

Look, I'm not saying that the word of critics should be taken as gospel but I think it's important to understand where they're coming from.

Professional game critics will typically play more games and under stricter time constraints than the average person. If they see fresh new ideas executed well or old ideas used in interesting ways, the game will usually score very high. But if they're seeing the same old tropes and ideas and not really anything new being done, the game won't score as highly, but if done competently then the score will usually still be decent. Bugs will also screw with that. Other aspects critics will look at are story and characterisation. All of this is a far cry from the average gamer "hell yeah I can shoot and blow sh!t up! 10/10!!!"

Like I said, Days Gone is getting decent scores, yeah nobody is calling it a masterpiece but it's clearly not garbage either. Reading the reviews tells me I'll probably enjoy the game. I also understand that it is nothing groundbreaking and I'm pretty okay with that as my expectations for this were never that high.

Tl;dr life is too short to be getting undies in a twist over arbitrary numbers.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, reiner- said:

I normally never listen to reviews but I keep hearing the words "repetitive" and "boring". 

Is anyone feeling this way about Days Gone?

Any response here will have more credibility in my opinion than sites like IGN. 

Absolutely not. I’m loving every second so far. The graphics are gorgeous, the story seems very promising so far and the gameplay is fun as hell especially when you try and stealth. Most of the “reviewers” probably already had there mind made up about this game beforehand and it would have taken something absurd to change it. But I’m finding it as one of the top tier exclusives for Sony and it seems most players I have talked to that are playing it are loving it as well. This is definitely one of those games I would not listen to the reviews at all.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, reiner- said:

I normally never listen to reviews but I keep hearing the words "repetitive" and "boring". 

Is anyone feeling this way about Days Gone?

Any response here will have more credibility in my opinion than sites like IGN. 

The various mission-types are spread out in a way that keep them from feeling repetitive. I don't think the game is boring at all, rather I find it to be one of the more engaging open world experiences. Fighting freaker hordes in particular are some of the most intense gaming moments I've had in recent memory. The story is also good from what I've played. I feel the main issues with this game are technical. There are things like occasional drops in frame rate, awkward AI movement and enemies sometimes disappearing or teleporting, among a few others. It's nothing game-breaking, but certainly shows the game needs some polish and can have some effect on the overall enjoyability of the game. It might be best to wait until they iron out some more bugs before picking it up, but this is definitely an exclusive worth playing at some point. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shananiganyo said:

just gonna listen to whatever Dunkey says because his word is basically gospel, if nothing else ill grab it when its free on PS+ in four years

Dunkey is alright but i believe he does lots for comedy reasons. i dont think he takes much serious or cares to.

• Like 2