Gold Rush: Replay or Restart

MisterMarcoo

Well, personally I finished my RDR2 playthrough with about 10 gold medals, since I played blind, so I needed to get 60 more for the trophy. 

I did everything in replay, and to be honest, apart from the last 5 or so I didn't find getting those particularly challenging, only rather time consuming. 

There are more than enough missions to choose from, and @NaseemJohn started a thread where you can find a google docs with a difficulty rating for each of the missions, together with some hints: 

Personally I found getting the requirement "get X headshots" to be the most difficult one for me, so I generally avoided missions where I needed to do 20+ headshots, but always found good replacements.  

• Like 4

Gold Rush was my last Trophy I needed for Platinum and I did it in Replay. Like Arcesus7 i avoided all Missions with more than 15 Headshots. I used the Guide on this side but I tested most of the missions, because some of the "Hard" Missions were "Easy" Missions for me. In some Missions you have got Items, that raise or fill your Dead Eye only. That don't Count as Health Items. That helped me in some Missions a lot.

For me the Level 50 Online Trophy was the hardest trophy in the Game.

Edited by Sega-Ryudo
  • Like 1

Yup, perfectly doable on replay, even though much easier on restart with full gear and top grade horse. Great leeway also: I have like 90 gold medals, so you really have room for failure.

Contrary to previous answers, I found the missions that requested getting head shots and not using medicine the easiest, and even the most reassuring, and shunned the timed ones with horseback travel, as I thought the wretched nag you get on replay was just a nerves wracking bad joke. Most of those last ones I did on restart. So I guess, like most of the time, it also depends on your preferred game style.

I'd say either or on this one...if you really like the story and want to have an increased chance at golds due to better horse, health, stamina, dead eye stats and items, start over...the replays are very doable on replay though once you get used to your character/horse's limits...also, your guns from previous playthroughs do carry over...

can't tell you what is better for you but personally I would lean towards replays since I'm guessing the time you would spend running around on a fresh playthrough would be far greater than the time you would spend replaying a mission due to limited stats...i did not enjoy the story or the 5 minutes of unskippable drivel at the start of each mission so gambled on the latter being faster...i found that I actually enjoyed the game more on replays since it seemed to emphasize the gameplay, which I had thought to be a little repetitive and simple on my first playthrough with an op character...

• Like 1

I choose to start a new save and turned off auto-save.
This way s I can save before doing each mission, and I can also choose what horse, weapons, items I take into a mission. Felt that the replay barely gave me anything to work with.

Edited by NL_Sion

@NL_Sion Yeah that's what I was thinking of as well. I also like the story so it's okay to replay the whole story again, but not when you just finished it for the second time. :)

To be honest, by following the spreadsheet which was mentioned here and by (optionally) reading walkthroughs from PowerPyx or watching vid-walkthroughs from GTA Video Series it seems doable. Did it with four missions now and got them all in the first try. So for anyone finding this forum post and wanting to replay: check that sheet, watch or read a walkthrough and simply follow it up.

I did it by saving before each mission and reload when not getting the gold medal. THe problem with this method: it breaks immersion, a lot! So replayng the game on a second playtrough would be best. 

BTW: A real nice easy to follow and brilliant guide for all missions can be found here: 

I am getting ready to go for the same trophy (I have all of the other single player ones done) and I'm doing it on new game. I tried doing some replays and it was just too frustrating with the crappy default gear, horses and abilities they give you. 

1 hour ago, VahrionPL said:

I have got Gold Rush a few days ago (replaying missions - when I finished story I had about 4-5 gold medals) thanks to gamingwithabyss channel on Youtube and the guide on his site.

https://gamingwithabyss.com/2018/10/25/red-dead-redemption-2-gold-medals-guide/

I like this guide.

Since I am one of the two authors of the 100% completion guide on this site I was following our own guide with the video's we found at that time. And making adjustmets here and there. But I actually like also that this video's above have a commenting on how to do them. Maybe I should use these for the psnprofiles guide. What do you guys think?

20 hours ago, HusKy said:

Are there specifically videos for those who use replay to get the medals?

You can use the Videos in the Guide on this side. Than you can click "watch on YouTube" for every Video and read the comments there, because to reach Gold you have watch the entire first Cutscene in some Missions, not in all.

Edited by Sega-Ryudo

16 hours ago, VahrionPL said:

I have got Gold Rush a few days ago (replaying missions - when I finished story I had about 4-5 gold medals) thanks to gamingwithabyss channel on Youtube and the guide on his site.

https://gamingwithabyss.com/2018/10/25/red-dead-redemption-2-gold-medals-guide/

This looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

@NL_Sion I think this might be a solid addition to guide considering it uses replays instead of "normal" playthroughs. A link would in my opinion suffice.

Edited by HusKy

1 hour ago, MisterMarcoo said:

Just another quick question about this trophy.
I read a lot of different answers, but for objectives like "complete in... " do you need to skip cutscenes? Some people say it doesn't matter.

You can use the Videos in the Guide on this side. Than you can click "watch on YouTube" for every Video and read the comments there, because to reach Gold you have watch the entire first Cutscene in some Missions, not in all.

Normally the time counter stops in the Cutscenes. You don't Need to skip them, but you will after the 3th, 4th or 5th Try.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd highly recommend a new playthrough with manual saves in between missions. If you choose to use the game's pathetic replay mechanic, then you'll be stuck with shitty gear, stats, and horse. Easy missions become difficult because of this. You'll spend a little extra time on a second playthrough but it's well worth it considering the story's a masterpiece. 

• Like 1