Major difficulty bump coming up

shadaik

While grindy, Neverwinter has never been a hard game and for many, that has been part of the appeal.

Well, apparently that is gong to change: On June 11th, the next expansion, Undermountain, is coming to PS4. It has already released on PC a few days ago and things are not pretty atm.

Undermountain is a major overhaul of many systems, including class mechanics, boons, and stats. Recovery and Regeneration will be gone, Life Steal will be nerfed. Existing characters will suddenly face a system they have not been built for. This is going to make combat a lot harder.

At the same time, difficulty will be buffed on some enemies, especially in dedicated multiplayer content like dungeons.

Right now, players of the PC version are downrigth mad at Cryptic because several dungeons are so hard they are considered broken. This includes Tiamat, Demogorgon (normal and master), and Manycoins, all of which have (dlc) trophies attached. Everything is going to take much longer because enemies are far more durable now. I've consistently heard figures of dailies taking three to four times as long as before.

I thought this merits a heads-up for trophy hunters and casual players. The game is going to get a lot harder soon.

• Like 1

Its new content....obviously its going to be hard and broken. It's how mmos are. Eventually itll be patched and fixed and mellow down so people can beat it for the newer newer stuff.s

26 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Its new content....obviously its going to be hard and broken. It's how mmos are. Eventually itll be patched and fixed and mellow down so people can beat it for the newer newer stuff.s

It's not just the new content that gets harder and seems broken

5 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Currently, complaints are about the old stuff. Idon't think anybody would complain about new stuff being harder than the old, I mean, that's kind of the point of new stuff in an MMO. Cryptic tried to "make it more interesting to revisit" and now people end up set way back, though.
Usually, people just complain how the new questline and features are terrible and that's it. What I see on the forums right now is different.

Me, I'll just see how this goes. My main is a Scourge Warlock and from what I can tell, they got through the transition relatively intact. For now, I'll speed up on the way to my remaining dungeons and campaign boons, though many of the latter have a speed limit on how much players can progress per day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2019 at 11:20 AM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Actually at the moment only the new content is do-able and many old content is broken, adding to the fact most rewards were already obsolete ages ago.

• 7 months later...

I don't mind some minor tweaks in games like these if some re-balancing is needed but this game seems to have become a headache for casual players and it's not the only one. I first played Neverwinter casually in 2018 and was then very active for the first half of 2019. I don't keep up with all the news about the game and logged on in June 2019 to find I would have to totally rebuild my character. I decided to take a week to take time to research what to do but then got caught up in the Borderlands 2/Pre Sequel games for a couple of months. Come September my son wanted to get into Neverwinter and game with me but he was doing the low level content so I did not really work on rebuilding my character properly and he quit after a couple of weeks anyway. Come this week and my daughter is interested in playing a few quests with me so I log in earlier today to help her out only to find that my character now seems to have lost all their armour I had in September the boons system seems to have totally changed again - I may be wrong? It's probably easy enough to find them but these games are clearly not suited to people who want to play for a few hours and then leave it alone for a while. I have had the same problem with Path of Exile that often seems to want me to rebuild my character when just wanted to run a dungeon for an hour of two and then leave the game alone for a few weeks at a time. Not games for casual players that want to spend a few days on a quest line or just hop on for a couple of hours with a friend or family member once in a while.