Understanding the story?

anotherfangirl

This is my first Mortal Kombat game (I love it so far) and I'm wondering if I should watch the story of Mortal Kombat 9 and Mortal Kombat X on youtube before starting the Mortal Kombat 11 story? I know there are Mortal Kombat 1-8 as well, but I don't really have time to watch everything ? What would you recommend? What's important to watch first?

Sorry if some of you are annoyed because I start in the middle of a series and ask a stupid question about the story, but I never thought I'd like fighting games and that's why I never played a Mortal Kombat game before. My first fighting game was Injustice 2 and I immediately fell in love with it, so I thought I'd give Mortal Kombat 11 a try... ?

MK9 was basically a time altered reboot of the first three MK titles, because of this the events of MK4, MKDA, MKD, and MKA didn't happen (MK/DC was simply a what if scenario and doesn't count, it was a lousy game anyway too). MKX while having a few basics from MK4 events is an entirely different story. There was also a comic book series that took place between MK9 and MKX, events in it are sometimes mentioned in MKX and MK11.