what would make you stop trophy hunting completely?

RJP_X

I don't think even marriage or a kid would stop me. I don't see myself marrying someone who wouldn't let me play games and I doubt I'd have more than 1 kid. Probably when I finally play all the games I want to or this bullshit stuff Sony is doing with censorship gets too out of control that not even trophies would convince me to buy on a Sony console.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'm not too imaginative, but perhaps a combination of gaming primarily becoming a streamed medium in the future plus me potentially starting my own family with all the responsibilities and obligations that come with it. Or maybe if Sony does something I highly disagree with like cranking censorship up to 11 while coinciding with Xbox finally being able to woo over the Japanese games industry and/or Nintendo implementing their own form of trophies or achievements.

I guess I could also still be a trophy hunter until the day trophies themselves cease to be supported by Sony - I don't think I'd outright stop playing games and trophy hunting for them by extension even if games do eventually become stream/download only.

• Like 1

I'll always achievement hunt to one extent or another, time be damned. The loss of the PSN or my account in general would be the end, though. Same I guess goes for the other ecosystems, I wouldn't bother making a new account or looking for the next big thing.

having responsibilities or more important matters in life (financial plan, family, kid(s), other goals) that take away from gaming. 

I'm already at that point though. 

8 hours ago, black__bunny said:

I can really only think of two reasons - either losing my account in some way or if I lose my entire game collection (which consists of a large physical backlog). I just would not have the time or money to invest in starting over.

House and content insurance could cover cost of games. 

World War 3 definitely but then maybe we would get to live like in the fallout games (the very few that survive...) and we wouldn't miss trophies as long as there were new quests every day just hope no one is gonna offer daily quests.

If it ever stopped being fun anymore.

I've reached that point a few times over the years where I just stopped concerning myself with trophy hunting and just played games for the sake of playing them but I always come back and get back into trophy hunting eventually. Especially when it comes to more modern games, trophies are like 80% of the reason I even bother with new games these days. If it weren't for trophies, I'd probably not be gaming at all or I'd be primarily playing retro games as that's mostly where my heart lies when it comes to gaming besides the trophy aspect. 

On 28/04/2019 at 5:36 AM, Helyx said:

If the trophy system was removed, then I'd quit.

This would be one of the main things for me too.

On 28/04/2019 at 5:17 AM, DizzyDavidson said:

Stop completely? Prolly the death of me or PSN.

Settling down would definitely slow me down, maybe even almost to a halt but not completely. I think time can still be found here and there with having a family. I know a lot of people can do it.

If the network itself was shutdown or discontinued, then yeah...  Years worth of peoples' progress wiped out in an instant - that would be the death of the hobby.

On 28/04/2019 at 5:29 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Lots of things could stop me. I'm assuming the OP knows that death, sickness, and lack of hands will stop you, but the few things that aren't health-related that COULD stop me would be...

1. Nintendo creates their own achievement system

2. I find a woman and have like 6 kids

3. I begin traveling a lot for work.

4. PSN crashes

5. I finish my entire backlog (probably the least likely of the above)

I'm close to finishing my entire Trophy list - I have a backlog per se that aren't on my Trophy list, so as long as I don't start them until I finish what I have, I shouldn't run into any issue stopping the hobby soon.  But most likely, I will take a big step back once my Trophy list is 100% or 99%, if I can get it to 99%, then I can just chip away at the really tedious stuff and nothing else gaming related until I focus on other life priorities.  Once I do the above, most likely I'll earn around 100 Platinums give or take, and finish really close Milestones near the 100-Plat-count, then I can rest easy and give up the hobby for a while.  I just don't want to leave my Trophy list unfinished.  With 100%, at least I can stop the hobby saying I finished what I started - and then maybe in a good few years after, I will play a game or two, but no more.  The occasional online, non-Trophy related session with the boys will be fine, I guess, and that can be the exception to the rule, or some Destiny PvP updates; Trials of Osiris or the like would be my gaming weakness.