Your IP has been blocked temporarily due to too many update requests

On 4/2/2022 at 1:03 PM, amurnin100 said:

When your paying for premium , you expect premium service ?

Is premium a paid service (product) or more of a one-time donation/contribution to psnp? $13 for a lifetime service doesn't sound like a fair exchange for the upkeep of this site, especially as it continues to grow larger with each game, with each generation. If there was a subscription fee for premium then I'd be more concerned that standards weren't being met. Personally I feel like it's a miracle that the systems continue to operate at all for a lot of people. Although I also believe that there is room for many improvements/fixes but probably only if they implemented an annual subscription fee and then started hiring. I'd be interested in knowing if $13 per premium member is truly enough to meet their expectations, or is $13 actually too much? Can anyone with insight in running these kind of websites shine a bit of light for us?

Edited by ZealousZealot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZealousZealot said:

Is premium a paid service (product) or more of a one-time donation/contribution to psnp? $13 for a lifetime service doesn't sound like a fair exchange for the upkeep of this site

Premium is a one-time donation for specific benefits:

Premium users get:

• More regular automatic updates
  • A golden forum name ^_^
  • Forum user title/username changes
  • Larger avatar filesizes
  • More trophies in your trophy cabinet.
  • No ads

Ads over time will likely bring in much more than the one time income from a Premium membership payment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berendsapje said:

Also been hit by the IP Banhammer since yesterday. I did update some profiles for competitions, and it's only my first time, but would like to see be able to update again. At least my own profile still works Knock on wood

I don't think I've ever updated someone else's profile before. I have peaked at others' but not actually updated, only my own, and still got hit with the banhammer.

• 2 months later...

“You’re IP has been blocked temporarily due to too many update requests”

“Temporarily” blocked? Bullshit.

My home Wi-Fi has been blocked from updating any profiles except for mine for about a month now, if not a month and a half going onto two months.

What even was Sly’s reasoning for disabling automatic updates for non-member accounts added to the website anyway? I sure hope I’m not the only one who can’t think of a good reason to justify hosting profiles on this website that were last updated years ago and if there is, I don’t imagine it’s aged well (PSNP in 2018 =/= PSNP in 2022, even though the website today appears mostly the exact same way it did years prior). My point being, I wouldn’t be in this situation if only all profiles, especially those without a registered user profile to the PSNP forums, were automatically updating themselves. Why should I be told by this website to not do it’s job of adding/updating new and existing profiles when it refuses to commit to said job? Either I’m the one updating profiles for the website or the website does it’s job correctly for all profiles (except maybe those removed from the leaderboards, not serving these profiles I can understand).

Edited by TurningRedEye

I haven't been able to use the update function on my tablet for months by now. On desktop, everything works as it should. This guy just don't give a fuck about his site anymore.

Using a VPN is the best way to get around this nonsense.

On 10.7.2022 at 11:48 PM, Varhur said:

Banned again, apparently updating your own profile 2-3 times a day is too much.

After checking your profile: It actually is, dude!

Look, I'm not trying to justify the block system... I think it's too strict as well.

But after being temporarily blocked myself a couple of times on this site, I did realize that "trying to undermine the automatic update cycle" is very much one variable.

You're a registered member, so your profile should update itself every 24 hours. It does not matter, that all you did was update your own profile and nobody elses. Every time you do it in less than 24 hours, your IP collects points. After the points sum up to a certain point, you get temporarily banned. At least in your case, the block system does exactly what it's programmed to do...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got hit by it too this morning I manually tried to update my profile and bam your ip is temporarily blocked. I've never had this problem since joining in 2011 despite doing sometimes 3-4 manual updates per day. I never update other people's profiles.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG

9 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Just use a free VPN to avoid this.

By the way: Your IP gets blocked after about 100 update attempts within a 24 hour period.

What..!? 100 attempts lol I've done maybe 5 at the most in the last 24 hours. Also I installed a VPN it didn't help.

7 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

What..!? 100 attempts lol I've done maybe 5 at the most in the last 24 hours. Also I installed a VPN it didn't help.

I'm updating about 1000 profiles every week. I speak from lots of experience. Plus, there's a major difference between mobile and desktop. Clean your browser data DAILY – especially your cookies.

By the way, I'm using a VPN while we're speaking. So...

screenshot177xigz.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I'm updating about 1000 profiles every week. I speak from lots of experience. Plus, there's a major difference between mobile and desktop. Clean your browser data DAILY – especially your cookies.

By the way, I'm using a VPN while we're speaking. So...

screenshot177xigz.png

The vpn I installed is surprisingly not hiding my ip. I just have to spend a little time to browse and find one.

• Like 1