Summer 2019 Backlog Challenge

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Still six days left in the challenge, but thanks to everyone who has participated so far. Hope to see a lot of you return (if you haven't already) for the fall/winter challenge.

First of all, thank you for hosting this! It has been fun to replay some of my oldest games and to finally start up some others that were collecting virtual dust in my PS library for way too long as well. Looking forward towards the fall/winter challenge!

Little personal update: Almost done with outlast atm which will probably be the final game that I'll finish for this event. I might be able to squeeze in one more quick and easy one like oxenfree or Iconoclasts if I speedrun it using a guide but I've never been a big fan of rushing through games like that. I guess i'll just leave them for later and start playing something that I've listed for the wall/winter event instead. 

Now that the event is as good as over I thought it was a good time to give a personal ranking to the games that I've completed along the way:

1) The Last of Us

2) Journey

3) SOMA

4) The vanishing of Ethan Carter

5) InFamous

6) ICO

7) Outlast

8) Everybody's gone to the rapture

9) Assassin's creed freedom cry

I just want to quickly point out that I really enjoyed all of these games a lot, even if they are at the bottom of my ranking. I'm just someone who values the storytelling in games typically more than anything else and I think this shows pretty well in my final ranking (with a few exceptions since I've also taken the gameplay into account). It's not that any of these titles necessarily had a bad story imo but they are quite unlucky to have some amazing competition with games like TLOU, Journey and especially SOMA.

If I had to rank them in terms of gameplay alone then TLOU would still top the list but Infamous and Outlast would likely complete the top 3. ICO and EGTTR would probably be at the bottom in terms of gameplay which is also what hurt them a bit in my final ranking even though I think that their stories are definitely top 5 worthy.

But again, I really didn't hate any of these games. I consider pretty much all of these to be some real quality titles that I would recommend to anyone.

Also a final thanks to everyone else who participated on this event. It was nice to see all of your updates with the highs and lows of the experience trying to complete your games which often provided me with the motivation to continue tackling my own. Hope to see most of you back at fall/winter!

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent
  • Like 2

Thank you @MidnightDragon for hosting the event! Even though I joined kind of late! I still managed to get some Games done.

I won’t be finishing BioShock or Crash Bandicoot 2. As much as I like Bioshock I can not put myself to it to finish my final run right after completing the first. I went from 8% to 61% good progress and I’m happy with how far I got. Crash Bandicoot 2 is probably going to be on my list for a while too. I can’t get myself motivated to do those last 15 runs for a gold relic. I will get it done, just not now. I’ve been distracted by a couple of games such as The Last of Us and the DLC for Borderlands on PS3.

I will definitely be returning for the fall challenge! Already made my list up and I’m ready to go! It’s also nice to see a lot of people returning for the next challenge. I can’t wait to show updates again and read how everyone is tackling their games during the challenge. No more updates from me for this one. So here is what I got done.

1. Rime - 100% (32/32) :platinum:
  2. Seasons After Fall - 100% (22/22) :platinum:
  3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 100% (73/73) :platinum:
  4. What Remains of Edith Finch - 100% (9/9) 2705.png
  5. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 3% => 63% => 87% => 90% (23/25)
  6. Bioshock - 10% => 34% => 61% =>  (49/66)
  • Like 4

Update #13:

• Rocketbirds 2: Evolution (8%) => 11%
  • Sonic Mania (0%) => 4%
  • Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (PS3) (0%) => 100% - 05/06/19
  • SOMA (0%) => 100% - 22/06/19
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) (0%) => 100% - 24/06/19
  • What Remains of Edith Finch (0%) => 100% - 26/06/19
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss (2%) => 100% - 20/07/19
  • Master Reboot (0%) => 100% - 22/07/19
  • Foul Play (0%) => 100% - 03/08/19
  • God of War III Remastered (0%) => 100% - 03/08/19
  • Overcooked (0%) => 100% - 07/08/19
  • Assault Suit Leynos (24%) => 100% - 21/08/19
  • Broken Age (0%) => 100% - 22/08/19
  • Claire (PS4) (0%) => 100% - 23/08/19
  • Claire (VITA) (0%) => 100% - 25/08/19
  • Forma.8 (0%) => 100% - 26/08/19

Another relatively busy weekend of gaming where I've picked up three :platinum:'s. Decided to start with Claire on the PS4 first as I knew it would only require one play through. The EU version didn't receive the latest patch which meant I could simply load my last save and in return the game automatically switches the save file to the highest difficulty (Nightmare), saving me a play through. I thought the story was great, and I wasn't able to figure out what was actually going on until it was revealed during the final scene. Definitely worth reading through all the dialogue, it would be a shame to skip it all for the sake of a quicker play through. I followed the excellent text guide on here and I got my platinum in just over three hours.

I finished the VITA stack earlier today as well. I started off with the 'Nightmare' play through which wasn't bad at all. A few sections required more than a couple attempts, but it was smooth sailing for the majority of the run. I then ran through the game again on 'Story' difficulty while focusing on the collectables and achieving the good ending. Glad I gave this game a go, was worth it for the story alone. Not a game I could've enjoyed/finished without a text guide, just simply too many doors/different routes to take.

I decided to stick with the Vita and start Forma.8 on Saturday evening.. I wish I didn't though. The game was poorly optimised for the Vita. My game crashed around 5 times total, and the frame rate drops.. so many dropped frames. Sometimes the game would feel like it's about to come to a complete stop, and this really took away from the overall experience. Do yourself a favour and play the PS4 version if you have any interest in this game, it's simply not worth playing on the Vita.  The game itself was pretty average, nothing special. It mainly consists of a whole lot of exploration and a few puzzles here and there. It never got too difficult though and was actually quite relaxing to play most of the time. The soundtrack was nice and so too was the art style.

I guess I'll switch my focus to Rocketbirds 2: Evolution next and try to make some actual progress in the game. Would love to finish my remaining 2 games and end the challenge in style. Going to change up my Fall list as well, not happy with my original list. Not in the mood for time consuming games. Until the next update ?

Edited by GraniteSnake
  • Like 1

Done

Claire: 100%:platinum:

Darksiders Warmastered Edition: 100%:platinum:

Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (PS3): 100%:platinum:
Little Nightmares100%✅

Slayaway Camp: 100%spacer.png:platinum:
Super Bomberman R: 56% > God of War (2018): 0% ➡️ 100%:platinum:
Zero Time Dilemma: 100%:platinum:

Honestly, I wasn't sure about Dad of War at first. It started out very slow, and it seemed to take forever for it to become the open world game it was shaping up to be and then it was a little underwhelming when it did. That being said, after I played it for a while, I warmed up to it and enjoyed exploring the world and listening to the story. I wouldn't say it's my favorite GoW game, but I can see why it was a must have game last year. Would recommend. 

Edited by ZachGM91
  • Like 2

Final update...

1) InFamous (PS3) - 23% 27a1.png 100% (:platinum: on 09/08/2019) Link

2) Demon's Souls (PS3) - 8%

3) Dishonored definitive edition (PS4) - 1%

4) The last of us (PS3) - 16% 27a1.png 89% (:platinum: on 10/07/2019) 27a1.png 100% (✅ on 20/08/2019) Link

5) Oxenfree (PS4) - 12%

6) Assassin's creed: Freedom Cry (PS3) - 5% 27a1.png 100% (2705.png on 11/07/2019) Link

7) Everybody's gone to the rapture (PS4) - 17% 27a1.png 100% (:platinum: on 29/07/2019) Link

8) Iconoclasts (PS4) - 15%

9) Far Cry Primal (PS4) - 8%

10) Detroit: Become Human (PS4) - 16%

11) Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - 16%

12) LEGO Harry Potter Collection: Years 1-4 (PS4) - 15%

13) Sekiro: Shadows die twice (PS4) - 23%

14) Journey (PS4) - 0% 27a1.png 100% (2705.png on 22/07/2019) Link

15) InFamous Second Son (PS4) - 0%

16) ICO (PS3) - 3% 27a1.png 100% (:platinum: on 27/06/2019) Link

17) Shadow of the Colossus (PS3) - 0% 27a1.png 6%

18) The Last Guardian (PS4) - 0%

19) Outlast (PS4) - 0% 27a1.png 100% (✅ on 27/08/2019) Link

20) The vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4) - 0% 27a1.png 100% (2705.png on 29/07/2019) Link

21) SOMA (PS4) - 0% 27a1.png 100% (2705.png on 25/07/2019) Link

Finally completed Outlast today and with that my activities on this summer backlog event have officially come to an end. Pretty bummed about all of the unfinished titles that remain on my list but I guess I've really bit off more than I could chew on this one, expecially considering the spare amount of gaming time I actually had during these past couple of months. Let it be a lesson perhaps for the fall/winter event to select a more managable number of games to start out with this time around, I can always add some extra titles later on if I want to. 

Overall I'm just really satisfied with the titles I ended up playing, especially TLOU, Journey and SOMA will forever be considered as some of my most favourite games of all time. Some of the best stories I've played and/or seen in a long time and that's often just all I need. I mainly focused on the quick and easy titles for this event due to time restraints but I'd love to challenge myself a bit more in the future and try to tackle some of my harder games as well like The witcher 3 and Wolfenstein The new colossus. I've been thinking about adding them for the fall/winter challenge but I kinda want to try them out first to see if I'll actually enjoy those games enough to go through the pain to complete them. 

Welp, that will be it then, thanks again to everyone involved with this challenge, onwards to the fall/winter event now! I'll probably start out with the R&C trilogy to warm things up. See you there!

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent
  • Like 2

Well, I'll probably won't finish these games on time. Still have to finish a journey on the MP from The Last of Us, so maybe I'll have to try for the fall/winter challenge. Still, I will try to get this done and I'll do a last update when the event ends.

Thanks for this event @MidnightDragon

1. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 15% 27a1.png 50% 27a1.png 52% (28/56)

2. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 5% 27a1.png 22% 27a1.png 100% :platinum: (34/34)

3. Detroit: Become Human - 0% 27a1.png 72% 27a1.png 100% :platinum: (49/49)

4. Heavy Rain - 0% 27a1.png 21% (15/57)

5. What Remains of Edith Finch - 0% 27a1.png 100% ☑️  (9/9)

Pathetic & final update #2

Assassin's Creed II (PS4) : 0% => Deferred

Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) : 0% => Deferred

Beach Buggy Racing (PS4) : 0% => 17% => Deferred

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4) : 0% => Deferred

Game of Thrones (PS4) : 0% => 100% trophy_platinum.png 14 Aug 2019

I sincerely hope to have more success with the Fall/Winter 2019-2020 Backlog Challenge.. ?

• Like 2

Penultimate update:

• Sonic Mania (0%) => 4%
  • Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (PS3) (0%) => 100% - 05/06/19
  • SOMA (0%) => 100% - 22/06/19
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) (0%) => 100% - 24/06/19
  • What Remains of Edith Finch (0%) => 100% - 26/06/19
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss (2%) => 100% - 20/07/19
  • Master Reboot (0%) => 100% - 22/07/19
  • Foul Play (0%) => 100% - 03/08/19
  • God of War III Remastered (0%) => 100% - 03/08/19
  • Overcooked (0%) => 100% - 07/08/19
  • Assault Suit Leynos (24%) => 100% - 21/08/19
  • Broken Age (0%) => 100% - 22/08/19
  • Claire (PS4) (0%) => 100% - 23/08/19
  • Claire (VITA) (0%) => 100% - 25/08/19
  • Forma.8 (0%) => 100% - 26/08/19
  • Rocketbirds 2: Evolution (11%) => 100% - 29/08/19

Another PS Plus freebie ticked off the list, this time Rocketbirds 2: Evolution. The game was okay I guess, again nothing special. It was filled with humour though, I'll give it that. The story consists of six chapters which feel like a bit of a drag in the beginning, but actually became a lot more enjoyable as the game progresses. The second part of the game consists of a rescue mode, which is made pretty trivial thanks to the free DLC that was made available for this game. Installing this apparently causes one of the trophies to glitch for some people, but luckily for me everything popped when it was supposed to. There wasn't a difficult trophy and it was all pretty straight forward from start to finish. Yet another game that suffered from constant FPS drops on the Vita, when as little as 3 or 4 enemies entered the screen at once. Really noticeable and quite annoying, I think it may have made the UFO Hit and Run trophy easier though, so I won't complain too much.

One game remaining.. hope I can make some good progress or perhaps finish it before this event ends. Looking forward to the Fall/Winter challenge, I'm pretty much set on inFamous First Light being the game I begin with. Until my final update :ps:

• Like 4

This is my event conclusion post. For someone with a LOT of work and family commitments at the moment I feel I've done quite well, yeah a few ratalaika titles in there but pretty good progress on my part. I definitely will finish the remaining titles in this list with time with the exceptions of the Surge, which I thought was a really good concept but I couldn't really get 'in' to it and Chasm which has been really fun but I feel the fun sucked out at the end of the game, at the point of no return with no potions etc and no inclination to grind for resources to beat the final boss. Thanks Midnight Dragon for hosting and thanks to other participants - you helped keep me going.

Favourite listed game: Dragon Quest builders 2

Most distracting non list title: Bloodstained ROTN

Challenge regrets: That Atelier has been pushed over 35% completion so I can't carry it over to the next challenge :P

Cold steel 11% > 15%
Atelier Firis 12% 
Pheoenix Wright: Ace Attourney Trilogy 11% 
The surge 15%
Thea the awakening 24%
Atelier scion 11% > 38%
my time at portia 21%
grand kingdom 30%
Chasm 13% > 52%
World of Final fantasy 20%

Catan VR 43%
What Remains of Edith Finch 100%
Metagal PS4 100%
Super weekend mode PS4 100%
My big sister PS4 100%

Graveyard Keeper 100%

Dragon quest builders 2 100%

• Like 3

Final update!

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney trilogy - 69% (24/31) —> 100% (31/31) :platinum: 16-08-2019
2. The Walking Dead the final season - 0% (0/49) —> 100% (49/49) :platinum: 21-08-2019
3. Persona 5 - 85% (45/49) —> 100% (49/49) :platinum: 15-07-2019
4. Astro Bot Rescue Mission - 14% (7/37) —> 100% (37/37) :platinum: 31-08-2019
5. Judgement - 0% (0/47) —> 1% (1/47)

Got the platinum trophy in Astro Bot rescue mission today. This will be my final platinum for the challenge also. I really liked this game. It’s so cute and fun and also not too difficult to get the platinum in. I strongly recommend it if you have VR. 

I also started Judgment but will be taking that one over to the fall challenge. So far I enjoy it, but I’m not that far in yet. 

So got 4 out of 5 for this challenge. I think my best one yet as I had some long games also. I’m happy with the result anyway. 

See you in the next challenge!

• Like 4

FINAL UPDATE

INCOMPLETE GAMES

Metro 2033 Redux: 4%

PSVR Worlds: 29%  
God Of War 57
%

COMPLETED GAMES

Tumble VR 100% :platinum:  18 June

Steep 100% :platinum: 24 June

Detroit: Become Human 100% :platinum: 11 August

Didn't get to finish all my games due to having less time this summer than expected, and I spent a lot of time outside and on vacation.

• Like 4

On 6/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, Kishnabe said:
Tokyo Xanadu 22%-->24%

Burnout Paradise 10%-->78%--100% August 14th 2019

Birdcakes 28%

Super Daryl Deluxe 15% --> 100% July 9th 2019

Reverie  13%

Completed Tokyo Xanadu.

• Like 1