PS PLUS MAY 2019

IBadDriverI

2 hours ago, Aponac1987 said:

And that's where the line proves to be very thin, indeed.

Tastes differ. But that doesn't condone burning down the entire line-up - consisting of good games, mind you - just because it doesn't cater to your tastes.

You know that goes both ways.

Unless someone else is going to pay for your subscription then your own opinion of what's worth the money or what games are good is the only one that matters. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Feral said:

Unless someone else is going to pay for your subscription then your own opinion of what's worth the money or what games are good is the only one that matters. 

Yup.

To be honest, I don't know what fans of these games expect. These might be good games, but they clearly have limited appeal (even less so to trophy hunters). Moreover, Sony's history with PS+ walking simulators isn't so great (at least with me). I mean, Proteus got pretty good reviews, but that game was absolutely awful. Gone Home was critically-acclaimed; that game was one of the worst experiences I've ever encountered. And Everybody's Gone to the Rapture? Don't even get me started on that glitchy pile of poo. It's only natural that many gamers would be suspicious of yet another supposed "immersive" experience given to us by PS+.

Overcooked is a different animal, to be sure. But Overcooked seems to rely upon co-op (and local co-op, at that) to see its true value. 

Again, I fail to see why an individual isn't allowed to "burn down the entire line-up" because it doesn't cater to his tastes. I'm keeping an open mind (lots of reviewers who generally agree with my tastes seem to enjoy Edith Finch), but it's hardly rational, given Sony's history with me.

Of course, anything is better than Sony putting a game on PS+ sight unseen. The lesson of Dragon Fin Soup should be a gentle reminder that Sony isn't very good at that policy.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

Not sure what is more fun, seeing the complaining on the PS Plus monthly offerings or seeing the complaining about the complaining of it.  High in the unintentional comedy factor.

Same two-sided whining each and every month.  No irony there.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yup.

To be honest, I don't know what fans of these games expect. These might be good games, but they clearly have limited appeal (even less so to trophy hunters). Moreover, Sony's history with PS+ walking simulators isn't so great (at least with me). I mean, Proteus got pretty good reviews, but that game was absolutely awful. Gone Home was critically-acclaimed; that game was one of the worst experiences I've ever encountered. And Everybody's Gone to the Rapture? Don't even get me started on that glitchy pile of poo. It's only natural that many gamers would be suspicious of yet another supposed "immersive" experience given to us by PS+.

You somehow overlooked Datura! Staring into your toilet bowl for a few hours would be more engaging and "immersive" than ever playing that enormous pile of ? again.

15 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Oddly enough I've been wanting to buy What Remins of Edith Finch for a while but kept putting it off. So I guess it's really not whichever way one looks at it.

Which is fair enough but my comment was aimed at the weak standard of the joint offering which is way below average. That goes for whether a person owns both, one, or neither game. Compare them with the two PS4 games included in the same month of last year. The drop in quality is staggering.

Edited by Negan

I've been pretty disappointed in the last few month's offerings because the games were not really my type. I am not a first person shooter game type of person at all, so anything like Modern Warfare just does not appeal to me. I'm really excited about May's offerings though! I can understand why people might be upset, because I've been upset about the past few months' games (not that I complained about it online until right now lol). I think the only PS+ game I've downloaded all year so far was The Witness. It's really all about taste.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:42 PM, JohnCenaSong- said:

I never stop hearing about both these games on the internet, both of them continuously get high praise and recommendation, both games have won fairly big awards and generally are well received. This begs the question then, why suddenly when they're both free on Plus does this suddenly make them awful games and a terrible month?? Seriously?

Neither of the games are to my personal tastes and I likely wont play either but I have to admit this is a somewhat solid line-up. To all the PS+ haters answer me this, you complain about every line-up no matter what's there so... what DO you want? I actually want an idea of what you want and what you're expecting? You expecting the brand new shiny AAA releases for free or something?

I admittedly don't make use of PS+ as much as I used to and that's not because of the games but because of personal changes. When I first had PS+ it was as a budget option, I had little money so being able to pay just a tad less than a new AAA release would be and get at LEAST 24 games a year (assuming 1 console, 2 games for it, no crossbuys). Now it's down to always 2 games the value still applies, but I have more games, a backlog even. So now that I don't NEED these games they do feel less exciting to pop up, but I still see the great value for money the service still offers and I do still dip into the games they offer on a semi-regular basis (enough to get more than my money's worth, you don't need to play EVERY game to get your money's worth, not even half of 'em)

I sometimes wonder, being as this is a trophy site, whether the hate this month comes from no Platinums xD

The hate is for them not caring, it's not that the games aren't good, (because they are) it's because they don't care about recommendations. I really hope they fix this because getting trash games for example (Conan Exiles) is simply not good enough. Rayman and Beyond: Two Souls was free last year, that was an awesome month, now we get platinum-less AA games.

It's free games. I don't get why all the negative attitudes. Try something new or don't.   

Personally, I've always wanted to play "What Remains of Edith Finch". I'll have to look into Overcooked. May not be my cup of tea, but might as well download it and try it if I get bored!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Moreover, Sony's history with PS+ walking simulators isn't so great (at least with me). I mean, Proteus got pretty good reviews, but that game was absolutely awful. Gone Home was critically-acclaimed; that game was one of the worst experiences I've ever encountered. And Everybody's Gone to the Rapture? Don't even get me started on that glitchy pile of poo. It's only natural that many gamers would be suspicious of yet another supposed "immersive" ex

God, Proteus.. I may never complete that game. :/ EGttR was probably the best of them, but still wasn't very good (and that "run" speed was atrocious). Probably the best one I can think of that I've played, though, was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. That game had a moment that genuinely scared the shit out of me, too. :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Feral said:

Yeah that’s true. But on an internet forum like this where people come and go and don’t bother to look beyond the surface, disagreements can very well turn into arguments. 

There has been nothing on Plus that has really spiked my interests this last year. But the incessant whining that follows, much like the whining on Ratalalika Games that issue six stacks for games, the “Mein Leben” bitching thread two years back and pretty much any thread that judges the value of trophies is proof this community needs to keep a level head and “grow up” a little. 

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Again, I fail to see why an individual isn't allowed to "burn down the entire line-up" because it doesn't cater to his tastes. I'm keeping an open mind (lots of reviewers who generally agree with my tastes seem to enjoy Edith Finch), but it's hardly rational, given Sony's history with me.

Of course, anything is better than Sony putting a game on PS+ sight unseen. The lesson of Dragon Fin Soup should be a gentle reminder that Sony isn't very good at that policy.

My problem is our incessant whining despite a number of these games going on sale, some of these games having gone on sale several times, including Alien: Isolation. We’ve had countless opportunities to buy these games, but when we have a less than stellar lineup on PS Plus+ then obviously Sony is putting on a shit show. The comments here tell the story.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered came up in March even though the vast majority of you who were interested have already played and beaten it. That alone made March a worthwhile month to try out a PS Plus “free” game. 

So far I’ve heard no real suggestions on what games you guys want to have in the month lineups. Red Dead Redemption 2 or Marvel’s Spider-Man would probably be ridiculous, because those games aren’t old enough to warrant being placed on Plus. Both have gotten discounts, that’s reason enough to justify buying them if you didn’t want to pay the full price. 

Would you guys be happy with something like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood or The Order: 1886? I’m fully aware most of you know The Order and have played through it. What I’m simply wondering is if a game like that would warrant less complaints than people bitching on YouTube regarding two games that aren’t AAA.

That’s what it comes down to. It seems the more games we play the more judgmental we become. 

All of you complaining are just going to have to wait until next month to see what the offerings will be then.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

thanks to this thread, I just had a moment of utter clarity...from now on I will think that every month's offer will be two...wait for it...ratalaika games...if no such (bad) luck, I'll be content with the freebies...lower standards = never disappointed...seriously though, the odds of enjoying a game annually is 1 in 24...i'm ok if only one of them piques my interest per year...if I wanted 24 out of 24 satisfaction, I'd buy a case of heineken...cheers...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 4

Keen to play Edith Finch (heard good things from mates), but I can definitely see how people are upset about this...

I remember when the free games used to be awesome PLUS some fun Indie games. This is a bit sad considering how much the service costs & how much they've taken away :(

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Yeah that’s true. But on an internet forum like this where people come and go and don’t bother to look beyond the surface, disagreements can very well turn into arguments. 

There has been nothing on Plus that has really spiked my interests this last year. But the incessant whining that follows, much like the whining on Ratalalika Games that issue six stacks for games, the “Mein Leben” bitching thread two years back and pretty much any thread that judges the value of trophies is proof this community needs to keep a level head and “grow up” a little. 

My problem is our incessant whining despite a number of these games going on sale, some of these games having gone on sale several times, including Alien: Isolation. We’ve had countless opportunities to buy these games, but when we have a less than stellar lineup on PS Plus+ then obviously Sony is putting on a shit show. The comments here tell the story.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered came up in March even though the vast majority of you who were interested have already played and beaten it. That alone made March a worthwhile month to try out a PS Plus “free” game. 

So far I’ve heard no real suggestions on what games you guys want to have in the month lineups. Red Dead Redemption 2 or Marvel’s Spider-Man would probably be ridiculous, because those games aren’t old enough to warrant being placed on Plus. Both have gotten discounts, that’s reason enough to justify buying them if you didn’t want to pay the full price. 

Would you guys be happy with something like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood or The Order: 1886? I’m fully aware most of you know The Order and have played through it. What I’m simply wondering is if a game like that would warrant less complaints than people bitching on YouTube regarding two games that aren’t AAA.

That’s what it comes down to. It seems the more games we play the more judgmental we become. 

All of you complaining are just going to have to wait until next month to see what the offerings will be then.

Yeah you're pretty spot on there plus arguments are the flavour of the month it seems atm.

True and you've kinda gotta expect it since this is a trophy site but the whinging does get out of hand.

As for people not putting out recommendations, it's hard to say what should be on Plus and maybe some people don't want to suggest games because of the arguments that could follow. Also it's hard unless you have the memory of an elephant to recall everything that's been on it. But say if they put Uncharted 4 or The Witcher III on PS+ and an indie or 2, that would be ok. It would show that even though they took 4 games away and upped the price there's still a reason to have Plus besides just needing for online, cloud saves and the possibility you might save something in sales with it.

Don't think people are more judgmental because they play more games. People just want value for their money especially after having things taken away and price increases.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

thanks to this thread, I just had a moment of utter clarity...from now on I will think that every month's offer will be two...wait for it...ratalaika games...if no such (bad) luck, I'll be content with the freebies...lower standards = never disappointed...seriously though, the odds of enjoying a game annually is 1 in 24...i'm ok if only one of them piques my interest per year...if I wanted 24 out of 24 satisfaction, I'd buy a case of heineken...cheers...

I wouldn't mind two Ratalaika games. They're cross buy so we'll be getting Vita games again. Plus they're usually pretty expensive so I tend not to buy them. ?

Just now, Feral said:

Yeah you're pretty spot on there plus arguments are the flavour of the month it seems atm.

True and you've kinda gotta expect it since this is a trophy site but the whinging does get out of hand.

As for people not putting out recommendations, it's hard to say what should be on Plus and maybe some people don't want to suggest games because of the arguments that could follow. Also it's hard unless you have the memory of an elephant to recall everything that's been on it. But say if they put Uncharted 4 or The Witcher III on PS+ and an indie or 2, that would be ok. It would show that even though they took 4 games away and upped the price there's still a reason to have Plus besides just needing for online, cloud saves and the possibility you might save something in sales with it.

Don't think people are more judgmental because they play more games. People just want value for their money especially after having things taken away and price increases.

I get that people want a solid AAA game and they’re not getting that this month. A good number of people don’t bother with indies which could be why they’re upset. 

I’m not happy the PS3/Vita lineup got taken down and Sony hasn’t done anything except raise the Plus subscription. 

For me, I have always felt that Plus games were a bonus. If you’ve been subscribed long enough you will find something that caters to your tastes. 

This banter I have followed since early last year has been hilarious. Some of us probably haven’t played a Plus game in months and we’re just waiting for that one game. 

If I was really eager to play these games then I will just wait for a sale. I reckon at some point something like Darksiders 3 or Just Cause 4 will pop up, and getting stuff at discount is generally a good thing. 

Someone who has stuck with Plus from Day 1 I can sort of understand their argument. Sony made online multiplayer locked behind Plus because they knew it would be a cash cow considering how popular some online games are. 

They can take it or leave it. Sony couldn’t care less.

Honestly, I like the variety of games they offer as free. Some of the titles they've offered I probably never would have thought about trying or buying otherwise. In general, I usually add all of the freebies to my library, even if they don't look interesting at the time, just in case I ever do want to give them a try. Like the Call of Duty game, for example. I prefer more sci-fi/horror when it comes to FPS, but you never know, I may decide to play it someday.

This has been especially true over the last few months. When you've been laid up for almost eight months with nothing else to do but play video games, you'd be surprised how boring that gets after awhile and how quickly you become willing to go step your gaming comfort zone just to shake things up a bit.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

I wouldn't mind two Ratalaika games. They're cross buy so we'll be getting Vita games again. Plus they're usually pretty expensive so I tend not to buy them. 1f61c.png

and this basically sums up this thread...one man's trash is another man's treasure...bottom line: all opinions are valid...there's no sense debating them in this case since there is actually no factual data to go off...you either like and/or own the lineup each month or not...

We should all bear in mind that these games are free of charge. You don't have to play them if you don't want, i think its very nice that we even get free monthly games within the price of the annual membership.

I love the fact that we get thrown these random games that I wouldn't normally play, but do so because their free.

I am very happy with the range this month, Overcooked is a game I can play with my wife & Edith looks a really cool game too.

Shame they are not released prior to the bank holiday weekend - still happy though!

• Like 1

I'm personally very happy with Edith Finch, wanted to play it for a while, and looks like a nice easy 100% to the list.

I would be happy for Overcooked as well if I haven't finished it already though ;)

Much better than last month IMO. Two games which look decent on screenshots but have 73 and 68 score on metacritic? Not my cup of tea.

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

be sure to turn it up in your office!)

easy now or we might open a can of worms and go from...wtf was this thread about again?...ah yes, complaining opinions about complaining about complaining opinions on this site and psplus' history interspersed with people's actual thoughts on this month's games to complaining opinions about complaining about complaining opinions on booze...the latter is tempting but in all honesty a 24 lasts me as long as my psplus subscription renewal...not really too picky on what brand it is...i seemed to have been subliminally seducted to believe that heineken is available across the entire galaxy (not 100% on other galaxies) so chose it as the go-to brand...pabst is equally fine although imo it seems more like a gynecology term than a beer brand...

Edited by ProfBambam55