What are your Top 5 Horror Films?

THJamie

Not in any order:

* It: Chapter One (Chapter Two is coming on 6 September... I'll have to see that)

* Halloween (Rob Zombie's 2007 remake)

* Into the Storm - Actually a disaster movie, but I'll count it, because Mother Nature is a worse villain than Michael Myers here.

Spoiler

One scene has a tornado catching on fire. A cameraman is trying to film that. So he loses his camera & hesitates to get away. Another guy shouts at him to "Leave it!" but as he turns around, it's too late... the firenado sucks him in. Pretty damn disturbing.

* Premonition (2007)

Edited by gameoverDude189

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

House of 1000 Corpses

Halloween (1978)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Scream 1 - Say what you want, but this film reinvented the slasher genre.

Edited by jdizzle0420
Put them in correct order lol...

Tough choices to do (even more so if you don't want the list to be a Carpenter's fan list :D). As I agree with a lot of the classics above, I'll quote some other films which would have made it to my (at least 50 titles long) "short list" for good measure:

Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter, 1987)

The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)

Cat People (Jacques Tourneur, 1942)

The Tenant (Roman Polanski, 1976)

Tetsuo (Tsukamoto Shinya, 1989)

Edited by KennethMcCormick
typo

If the Exorcist isn't on your list you are disqualified.

I don't know if I can come up with five right now, but 

Exorcist

The Green Room (punk rock one)

High Tension (french, I think)

Mother (with Jennifer Lawrence, is that            horror? It was unsettling, that's for sure)

Deliver us From Evil (based on the NYC cop. Probably the weakest on the list, but I really like it)

On 5/4/2019 at 11:47 PM, TheLakota said:

1. Exorcist

2. Alien

3. The Thing

4. Hellraiser

5. It Follows

All awesome except for It Follows. I was so bummed that I listened to the hype with that one. I didn't like it almost at all. 

That's hard but here's my list then. 

1. A L I E N (1979)
2. John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) or...... Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue (1997)?? 
3. Near Dark (1987) or Carrie (1976)
4. The Invitation (2016) does this count as the horror movie? Or, The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
5. The VVitch (2015) 

I also loved The Wailing (2016), The Exorcist (73') and The Silence of the Lambs (1991) as barely the horror movie I think. This is tough to make the list. The Silenced (2015) was pretty decent. 

Edited by r3viladdict

A lot of good movie already mentioned. My personal favorites:

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Wicker Man (1973)

The Omen (1976)

They Look Like People (2015)

The Silenced (2015)

This was harder than I expected narrowing it down. The Omen could be bumped by The Thing or Evil Dead 2 and The Silenced was also between two other movies, Train to Busan and The Wailing. I think these are definitely my top though, in terms of times seen and shared with others.

• Like 1

I can't really put them into order:

1408 - fucking masterpiece, it's a personal hell story and I love those

The Conjuring 2 - I almost took a break when I saw it the first time in cinema, Wan is amazing director

Hereditary - everybody around me hates it, in my opinion it's a masterpiece that's inspired by legendary directors like Kubrick

The Thing - though I don't consider it as much a horror rather than thriller since it's not that scary nowadays but it's amazing movie

Evil Dead 2 - best horror comedy ever made!

3 minutes ago, Terminus124 said:

I can't really put them into order:

1408 - fucking masterpiece, it's a personal hell story and I love those

The Conjuring 2 - I almost took a break when I saw it the first time in cinema, Wan is amazing director

Hereditary - everybody around me hates it, in my opinion it's a masterpiece that's inspired by legendary directors like Kubrick

The Thing - though I don't consider it as much a horror rather than thriller since it's not that scary nowadays but it's amazing movie

Evil Dead 2 - best horror comedy ever made!

I've really enjoyed Hereditary a lot. it doesn't deserve to be hatred just so much. 

I would like to know why people like Alien so much. I feel like it might be one of the most overrated horror movies ever. I see many of you consider it a top five and on IMDB it has a rating of 8.5/10.

I watched this film a couple of months ago and I barely finished it. Maybe 2 or 3 interesting sections but I still can't understand the hype. 

• Like 1