What are your Top 5 Horror Films?

THJamie

9 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

I would like to know why people like Alien so much. I feel like it might be one of the most overrated horror movies ever. I see many of you consider it a top five and on IMDB it has a rating of 8.5/10.

I watched this film a couple of months ago and I barely finished it. Maybe 2 or 3 interesting sections but I still can't understand the hype. 

Maybe I can help you out here as it's my favorite film of all time.

Alien reinvented the idea of what film could achieve, and pushed the limit of technology and genre fiction. Ridley Scott and his production crew did a lot to change public perception of film as an art form.

Alien is a study in atmosphere and creeping dread as tools for inducing fear in the audience. H.R. Giger's creature designs used extensive elements from his series of paintings Necronomicon, a series of biomechanical alien-like beings. He incorporated a lot of sexual designs into a humanoid form while using the biomechanical form from his paintings, creating a distinctly familiar yet horrifically alien design that instills fear, disgust and awe at the same time. Giger also took many cues from the natural world, specifically the assassin wasp, which impregnates his host with its young, which then eats its way out of the host body. This became the basis of the xenomorph.

Additionally, Scott used many camera techniques that became the foundation of much of the camera work seen in modern horror films. Tight, up close shots in confined areas, lingering wide shots, slow pans, etc. It was extremely effective in immersing the viewer and giving them that claustrophobic feeling and atmosphere.

I could go on for hours about this but if you want to know more just send me a message!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

I would like to know why people like Alien so much. I feel like it might be one of the most overrated horror movies ever. I see many of you consider it a top five and on IMDB it has a rating of 8.5/10.

I watched this film a couple of months ago and I barely finished it. Maybe 2 or 3 interesting sections but I still can't understand the hype. 

I’m not sure how to say this, but when I was a kid, I watched Aliens (1986) first and became obsessing with it. And, eventually, I realized there was an original one so I had to watch it. I absolutely loved it. Honestly, it was one of the best cinematography movies I've ever seen. Great atmospherics, heart-pounding moments that built the tension pretty good. It was extremely well done. And, the reaction to the

chestburster

was surprisingly great, even though the actors were not expecting what was going to happen and hence this was how their reactions look like in that part. Remi-chan gave the best answer to your question, so there it is. 

Hail Giger!

Edited by r3viladdict

7 hours ago, Aexuz said:

Maybe it's not for you then. 

I grew up on Alien as a child and as I grew older I came to appreciate the finer points: cinematography, writing, effects shots and of course the acting.

Dallas crawling through the vent shafts with a flamethrower and motion sensor is one of my fondest cinematic memories. When the dot on the sensor starts moving irregularly my anus squeezes so tight it'd turn a lump of shit into a diamond.

The fact this came out in 1979 makes the film all the more special in my opinion -- I consider it a cinematic achievement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Hmm....

Rec

Martyrs

28 Days Later

Train to Busan

Cry Wolf

The Wailing

The Witch

I know, i picked 7. I don't really consider Alien to be horror, but if it were, it would definitely be on my list. Anyone know of anything else in the same vein as these?

Why don't you consider Alien a horror movie? 

Pretty much everyone has the same list so I’ll switch it up a bit and name some of the more recent ones I thought were great. 

Hereditary 

Haunting Of Hill House 

Conjuring 2 

Oculus (criminally underrated) 

Paranormal activity 

In no particular order

Wrong Turn

It Follows

Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake)

28 Days later

shame it was only 5, would’ve potentially included Saw, House of Wax, Wolf Creek, The Hills Have Eyes, Aliens (2nd One) if it was 10

Edited by gazdavis11

8 hours ago, Remi-chan said:

Maybe I can help you out here as it's my favorite film of all time.

Alien reinvented the idea of what film could achieve, and pushed the limit of technology and genre fiction. Ridley Scott and his production crew did a lot to change public perception of film as an art form.

Alien is a study in atmosphere and creeping dread as tools for inducing fear in the audience. H.R. Giger's creature designs used extensive elements from his series of paintings Necronomicon, a series of biomechanical alien-like beings. He incorporated a lot of sexual designs into a humanoid form while using the biomechanical form from his paintings, creating a distinctly familiar yet horrifically alien design that instills fear, disgust and awe at the same time. Giger also took many cues from the natural world, specifically the assassin wasp, which impregnates his host with its young, which then eats its way out of the host body. This became the basis of the xenomorph.

Additionally, Scott used many camera techniques that became the foundation of much of the camera work seen in modern horror films. Tight, up close shots in confined areas, lingering wide shots, slow pans, etc. It was extremely effective in immersing the viewer and giving them that claustrophobic feeling and atmosphere.

I could go on for hours about this but if you want to know more just send me a message!

8 hours ago, r3viladdict said:

I’m not sure how to say this, but when I was a kid, I watched Aliens (1986) first and became obsessing with it. And, eventually, I realized there was an original one so I had to watch it. I absolutely loved it. Honestly, it was one of the best cinematography movies I've ever seen. Great atmospherics, heart-pounding moments that built the tension pretty good. It was extremely well done. And, the reaction to the

Reveal hidden contents

chestburster

was surprisingly great, even though the actors were not expecting what was going to happen and hence this was how their reactions look like in that part. Remi-chan gave the best answer to your question, so there it is. 

Hail Giger!

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

Maybe it's not for you then. 

I grew up on Alien as a child and as I grew older I came to appreciate the finer points: cinematography, writing, effects shots and of course the acting.

Dallas crawling through the vent shafts with a flamethrower and motion sensor is one of my fondest cinematic memories. When the dot on the sensor starts moving irregularly my anus squeezes so tight it'd turn a lump of shit into a diamond.

The fact this came out in 1979 makes the film all the more special in my opinion -- I consider it a cinematic achievement.

Thanks for the answers guys. I agree with the technical aspects of the movie you mentioned. The cinematography and atmosphere were outstanding but what about the other elements of the film? While watching the movie I was trying to understand the high reviews and the hype but I feel like I wasted 2 hours of my time. The movie tries to create suspense but the slow build drags on too much making the tension and intrigue to drain away quickly. The plot was really weak in my opnion  and the characters never inspire much feeling in you at all, giving you little reason to care about their fate. Little story with no character development. The chest burster was the most memorable but those were few minutes of a 2 hour long movie.

14 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

Thanks for the answers guys. I agree with the technical aspects of the movie you mentioned. The cinematography and atmosphere were outstanding but what about the other elements of the film? While watching the movie I was trying to understand the high reviews and the hype but I feel like I wasted 2 hours of my time. The movie tries to create suspense but the slow build drags on too much making the tension and intrigue to drain away quickly. The plot was really weak in my opnion  and the characters never inspire much feeling in you at all, giving you little reason to care about their fate. Little story with no character development. The chest burster was the most memorable but those were few minutes of a 2 hour long movie.

You'd really hate The Exorcist then if Alien was too much of a slow burn for you. 

For me, the slow build heightens the suspense. Where are they? What are those eggs? Who was the massive dead pilot with a chest burst outwards in a spray of bone flinders? Acid blood? The fuck? The chain scene? Those cat eyes? Shivers

As for the plot, it wasn't overly simplistic a la Aliens or self-righteous vis-à-vis Prometheus (I happen to love this film by the way). 

* Mining vessel receives a distress signal from a vessel of unknown origin (read: potentially extraterrestrial) on an allegedly uninhabited moon. <-- don't know about you, but my curiosity's piqued.

Character development:

I personally love Dallas, Ripley, Kane and the rest engineers (Harry Dean Stanton!). 

In all honesty, based on what you've told us it just sounds like this film isn't your cup of tea; that's okay though. 

I'd give the film another shot. If you still don't like it, try Event Horizon. If that film doesn't tickle your fancy, then I'd wager space horror is not your genre. 

In no particular order, my top 5 horror movies are:

The Conjuring - This was an instant classic for me. Really solid, good scares, and James Wan really nailed down the atmosphere.

Shutter (Original Thai Release) - This was reminiscent of the Japanese “Grudge” movies. 

Noroi the Curse - This is a Japanese title that’s shot like a documentary. There wasn’t any jump scares from what I remember, but this movie is incredibly creepy and definitely worth a watch!

Sinister - Another solid horror title, creepy villain, interesting lore, but the sequel was kind of weak.

Paranormal Activity - What makes this scary to me was how it looked kind of believable. A simple noise, subtle movement in the background, and clever use of the camera built a lot of anticipation which lead to a very satisfying climax! However, like Sinister, I felt the sequels were weaker

Damn, this was probably the toughest top 5 I've ever done. Horror movies are actually my favorite, always have been. Cheesy, serious, doesn't matter, love 'em all.

I would like to say while Alien is in my top 5 sci-fi movies, I've always considered it more suspense than horror, but I can see why it's mostly considered a horror movie.

1) The Lost Boys (1987)

2) An American Werewolf in London (1981)

3) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

4) Lord of Illusions (1995)

5) The Evil Dead (1981)

Honorable mentions:

In the Mouth of Madness (1994), Hellrasier (1987), Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Midnight Meat Train (2008), House of 1000 Corpses (2003), Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror (1922), The Shining (1980), The Exorcist (1973), Poltergeist (1982), Scanners (1981)

Wow, only 5...

The Exorcist

The Haunting (1963)

Alien

Don't Look Now 

The Changeling (1980, George C Scott)

A lot of other great films discussed earlier that could easily sneak on here depending on my mood that day.  I threw in The Changeling as a lesser known quiet ghost story that I thought was incredibly atmospheric and disturbing. Never seems to get its due.

• Like 1

1) 28 Days Later (best zombie/infected movie ever) bonus because its set in England 

2) Get Out

3) IT 2017 Film

4) I Am Legend

5) 28 Weeks Later

BONUSES: A Quiet Place, Friday the 13th Part 1, Predator, Insidious, World War Z, War of the Worlds (if that counts as horror) 

Edited by Velaxity

Honestly horror is a pretty broad genre. It's quite difficult to keep it to a list of 5.

• The others (2001)
  • Thirst (2009)
  • The wailing (2016)
  • Tetsuo (1989)
  • The Cabin in the woods (2012)
  • The thing (1982)
  • The Mist (2007)
  • The conjuring (2013)
  • The silence of the lambs (1991)
  • Saw (2004)
Edited by xZoneHunter