Why do you keep buying more games?

Wavergray

Outside of the standard "it's part of my hobby" or "trophies" answers, why do you keep buying games?

We now live in a age where there are tons of free to play games that can give you hours of content for free. Where mid-range cell phones are strong enough to emulate PSP/NDS/PSX and lower consoles/handhelds. We even have subscription services that give us hundreds of games for X amount of money a year. On top of all that many of us have huge backlogs full of good games that we haven't played.

So all that in mind what keeps you buying games or wanting to buy games each week? Is it the fear of missing out on a good game/"good deal"? Is it something else? Maybe you never really thought about it until now?

Subscriptions services are a rental. I want to own the games I play so I can play them whenever I want. Why anyone would prefer to play a game on a mini screen of their phone instead of a flatscreen TV screen, I don't know. I play console games because they are plug-and-play. But most of all: I buy games bevcause those are the games I want to play.

• Like 2

I'm a hoarder. 

Also I hate the term "free" because usually 9/10 it requires micro transactions to do/have anything cool in it, I know triple A games have it shoved up their arses but free games I feel are more predatory in that sense. 

But on Ebay if I see a game thats really cheap I usually scoop it up ASAP, as well as being a PS4 gamer Im also a PC gamer Steam sales abuse my wallet so bad

• Like 1

For me it's because I'm a collector and because I do at the time of buying that game, I honestly do feel like I'm going to play that game eventually. I think I'm at the point now where I have more fun adding a new physical copy of a game to my PS3 collection than I do playing most of them lol. There's just something very satisfying about seeing my collection grow bigger and bigger knowing that when I'm bored I always have something else I can play. Another reason I buy games is because growing up the games I did buy was kept to a limited amount because i would have to ask my parents to buy them for me, and now that I am older and have my own income I want the option to have as much of a selection as possible when I sit down and choose something to play. 

Edited by silver_pigy
  • Like 1

Zero interest in the portable gaming market, never interested in the old days of the

Love my big screen TV and surround sound setup, could not envision gaming any other way.  Some people watch full-featured movies on their iPhones and that drives me crazy too.

As far as a backlog, like others said, sometimes the sales are too good to pass up and you forget about your existing backlog.

• Like 1

I barely have any other hobbys which I enjoy (sounds bad writing that down...) and I am playing games for over 25 years now.

Also I enjoy playing lots of different games. Mobile game look and feel too cheap to me. I have enough income, so buying games is not an issue.

• Like 2

Console style gaming is still a fairly unique experience. You can't really get the experience of playing a game like Monster Hunter World, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Spider-Man anywhere else.

When it comes to F2P games, they are very grindy and rely heavily on waiting and/or paying money. Some can be enjoyable, but they aren't the same experience as a console game. And they never will be. They're designed to entice you into spending money, and a good console game wont have that kind of nonsense in it. It'll just be boot up the game and play it.

When it comes to emulators on phones, I just don't understand how people even do that. Touch controls aren't precise at all, and you tend to cover up at least part of the game with your fingers on the screen. I've never understood how anyone can play an emulator on a phone because of those two things alone. I tried it, and it was just an awful experience. I was playing a NES game too. So there was only the D-Pad and two buttons. I can't imagine the kind of hell that is a PS1 or DS game on a phone. More importantly than all of that, it's illegal to play roms of games you don't own. So, if you already own the game, it's better to just play it on the console it was meant to be played on, or an enhanced version on a newer console.

Subscription streaming services don't work for a lot of people. Because most people don't have good enough internet for it to actually replicate a game playing on a console. Myself included in that. It just doesn't work for me. There's a lot of input lag, a jumpy connection, and it doesn't look very good.

As for the backlog point, mine is gone. I spent about three years working though it. It got out of hand because of the rise of sales. Back in the day, they were very rare, so it was common practice for me to just go nuts on them, and then be good for a few months. Even before Flash Sales, I would buy most of the games I would play each year on Black Friday. I'd stock up, and then not buy anything for most of the year. But then they started doing constant sales, and before I knew it, I had bought too much. Because I was still in the mentality of, "I don't know when there will be another sale." Now though, they happen every week. So I don't care as much about sales as I used to.I might buy a couple games at once, but then I'll just play through them all before buying something else. I know there will be another sale fairly soon, so there's not much reason to really go nuts on a sale anymore.

tl;dr Nothing can replicate the console style game experience.

• Like 2

It's between finding some sweet deals and the joy of owning something. I'm not that used to buy digital or use subscription services as much as it's intended. Mobile "games" are way too limited, and I like to have a more stable experience than a 5 minutes thrill.

Plus, my shelf doesn't complain, so neither do I.

Edited by Folkenio

In my opinion, I rarely find free to play games or mobile games that are as good as the games i buy from the store. Ive played a bunch of both and just cant find games that consistently keep me engaged and immersed the way the big titles do. sure, there's some gems here or there, but for me most of them are pretty lackluster.

emulators are great for old games and i do use them sometimes, but not so much for new titles that i want to play.

subscription services are pretty meh, most of them only have a handful of games i want to play then i cancel them.

and my backlog is decent size but i find those games are perfect for when i have long droughts without new games releasing that i want. like now for example. no big games that i want coming out for a while, so ill probably go try to finish my Monster Hunter World plat, then maybe do some Resident Evil or Ratchet and Clank.

Edited by danceswithsloths

I'm a collector and I personally get more joy out of owning a game than playing it. Playing games is a hobby I enjoy but buying videogames is the passion and I kind of went into trophy hunting as an extension of my love of collecting videogames.

Personally, I also am not a fan of the games as a service/gacha model and want to enjoy this time of console gaming as long as possible before the inevitable happens. Though Dungeon Fighter Online is the best MMO ever and I love it to death, only exception