Why do you keep buying more games?

Wavergray

Because I don't have a smartphone and I really don't care what the first post says, it's my hobby and I have nothing better to do. I have to be picky because I'm not rich so I pick and choose my games. Otherwise I'd be in the fetal position in a corner somewhere slowly going insane and/or already insane. ?

Admittedly though I'm unsure of what the next game I get will be. I unfortunately now find myself unemployed and I was going to get Ace Attorney Trilogy but I'm trying to wait until I find another job (who knows when that will be). So the last game I actually bought was Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch). I've decided against getting Persona Q2 due to no english dub so I honestly don't know what the next game I'll get will be, or when I'll get my next game. Unfortunately, my best guess is Pokemon Sword for the Switch whenever it decides to come out. ?

44 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

A good question.. I really don't need more. But when I see a good sale on a game I want, I usually end up buying it. :/ I think I go through buyer's withdrawal, too. Lol. 

This is my answer as well lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soultaker655 said:

Outside of the standard "it's part of my hobby" or "trophies" answers, why do you keep buying games?

We now live in a age where there are tons of free to play games that can give you hours of content for free. Where mid-range cell phones are strong enough to emulate PSP/NDS/PSX and lower consoles/handhelds. We even have subscription services that give us hundreds of games for X amount of money a year. On top of all that many of us have huge backlogs full of good games that we haven't played.

So all that in mind what keeps you buying games or wanting to buy games each week? Is it the fear of missing out on a good game/"good deal"? Is it something else? Maybe you never really thought about it until now?

Just to fuck with you, specifically, soul

=)

• Like 1

if it's on pc's its cause its on a steam sale or it's on a weeb game site that localises the greatest of the Japanese pc games like rance.

if it's on ps4 mainly as i trade stuff in or buy stuff pre owned years later when it's like £5 outta cex or something. sometimes its cause sony sales where stuff is like super cheap be it a big game i wanted or something i have never heard of but seems fun

F2P rarely appeal to what I’m looking for in a game. I buy maybe 2-3 games a year. I have a bunch across many consoles in my backlog.

Buying more games each WEEK?! That’s crazy. I have picked up just about all of the games I’ve historically shown some interest in. I keep my eye out for new games that look interesting and when they’re the right price or I have time to play, I pick them up. I’ve picked up a few here and there at launch, but only because I had time to play it right away. 

I'm addicted to buying. Especially when I see a deal. Or when I'm bidding and my biig epeen say I must win it. 

I buy games because of good deals; the anticipation of buying and playing a game is part of it as well. Telling my boyfriend he also has a new game to play since I made his console my primary. He's so cute when he gets excited about things. And looking through my games and getting all happy that one day I will actually get around to playing them lol. 

Basically, I can’t resist games I’m interested in going on sale. I’m always telling myself I have to stop buying games, because I already have so many I haven’t even started. I think that’s a problem most of us have.

• Like 1

I couldn't care less about mobile games, they're nowhere near the quality you'll find from games like God of War or The Witcher 3. F2P games can be fun like Gwent and Warframe, but again I'm getting a completely different experience from games that you have to pay for. In terms of a backlog, I've been trying to make it a habit to go through it instead of buying every game that comes out, but I'll still buy the occasional game if I feel like playing it or if I want to support the developers. PS Now is enticing as it offers several games that I would like to play, but I'd rather burn through my backlog before opening that box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

A good question.. I really don't need more. But when I see a good sale on a game I want, I usually end up buying it. :/ I think I go through buyer's withdrawal, too. Lol. 

3 hours ago, DeathByRyuku said:

Because it keeps me busy from my repetitive boring life.

These two hit home. Thankfully, my waning interest in the direction modern gaming is going has slowed my need to do so; course now I'm stuck with the dilemma of trying to get to what I love to do outside of games.

Of course, there are a couple on exceptions for those that I genuinely want to play that aren't free, but even then.... well, i won't go into it, but I should probably stop it sooner than later.

I wonder if my passion for games would be renewed if I re-expanded my interests again, at least that way it won't be such a dull grind and I would only have time/money for what I WANT to play.

• Like 1

Because collecting games is my hobby. It's who I am. I don't play mobile games because the whole idea of them is to get you to pay for things via microtransactions and junk, I don't want that. They are often times too simplistic to get much enjoyment from anyway for more than a hour at best. I need a bit more complexity than that. I like to relax, immerse myself in a good game and be actively engaged in something I enjoy. I like to have fun basically. :P

• Like 2

I buy games because they are on sale and because it's something that I want to play at some point. I think the whole backlog thing is a myth. Just play what you want to play and have fun. Which is why I prefer games that I pay for rather than sticking to freebies. Let's be honest, free games and mobile games are not as fun as your Spiderman, Spyro, Resident Evil, God of War, or Uncharted. I'll happily pay money if it's going to bring me more joy than something that is free.

I work 5 days a week, normally 40-45 hours a week. I like to be able to come home and wind down the evening with something fun, not just something that kills time (which is what mobile games do for me). 

4 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I think the whole backlog thing is a myth.

Not for those of us with limited time. Ever hear the expression "your eyes were bigger than your stomach"? Same thing - we basically by X games that we want, but only have time for a fraction of what we buy.  It's pretty common

I generally continue to buy games when they go in a really good sale, even if I wont get to it for months. Eventually i will play it.  It's a bad habit to be honest, but easy to fall into when you have some disposable income

I definitely have a bit of a problem. I have many games I've put less than an hour into but I keep buying more. 

In fact, I have five games in my cart right now, & even after reading all this & understanding my own problem I'm still about to hit purchase. 

Better than blowing it on booze & takeout I suppose ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Not for those of us with limited time. Ever hear the expression "your eyes were bigger than your stomach"? Same thing - we basically by X games that we want, but only have time for a fraction of what we buy.  It's pretty common

I generally continue to buy games when they go in a really good sale, even if I wont get to it for months. Eventually i will play it.  It's a bad habit to be honest, but easy to fall into when you have some disposable income

And what happens if you don't get through all your games? Nothing! The money is a sunk cost. Just play what you have from your list of options and just pick whatever is most appealing.

The reason I call it a "myth" is because the end, it really doesn't matter if you get through all your games or not if you just play what you want and are having fun. At least, that's my approach to it but to each their own.