Why do you keep buying more games?

Wavergray

I was like that. My main reason was getting good games ASAP at good prices until having, practically, everything i wanted. Now i am only searching for 2 specific games on the PS3 (J-Stars and Odin Sphere) and i don't have any pressure to buy what i want for PS4 (mostly because of wallet issues), that is until i plat what i have for the PS4.

Because I'm a novice collector and I like to decorate my walls with physical media (got a pretty big music CD collection too). I mean yes I bought them all because I want to play them but not sure if I'll ever have the time to do so. Plus, one day if/when I have kid(s) I hope to pass them along to them.

These are my reasons.

1 The games interest me

2 I love a good Bargain

3 I love trying obscure weird/bad games 

This is one my hobby's and Console games are fun and a lot of free to play games suck or can very well be a quick pay to win/microtransaction fest 

I give you the perfect reason! For that I have to quote the lyrics from a great song though. Here it goes ...

And have you ever wanted something so badly

That it possessed your body and your soul

Through the night and through the day?

Until you finally get it

And then you realize

That it wasn't what you wanted after all

And then those self same sickly little thoughts

Now go and attach themselves to something ... or somebody, new!

And the whole Goddamn thing starts all over again

- "True Happiness (This way lies)" from Dusk by The The

The song is in a way about this but not specifically of course . It's about the need to own something and why we still keep buying ... well anything really.

"this game looks good"..."that one too"..."this one as well"...that's how my brain works...have disposable income and a huge collection...when it comes time to actually play some of the games I own, i have what I consider a bada$$ selection to chose from which makes gaming all the more fun and I'm always looking forward to picking up my controller...i also plan to hand down my consoles/games to my kids so there is no such thing as too much content...

Because I can and no matter how many times I say to myself when a new sale hits psn, there is no need whatsoever to buy any of these games this time around whith the amount you have there that have yet to be started........ I always end up buying another 5 or 6 then laugh at myself for suggesting otherwise.

All time number 1 hobby is gaming and always has been so if you could show me one thing better to spend my money on I'd like to hear it! Lol

22 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

Outside of the standard "it's part of my hobby" or "trophies" answers, why do you keep buying games?

We now live in a age where there are tons of free to play games that can give you hours of content for free. Where mid-range cell phones are strong enough to emulate PSP/NDS/PSX and lower consoles/handhelds. We even have subscription services that give us hundreds of games for X amount of money a year. On top of all that many of us have huge backlogs full of good games that we haven't played.

So all that in mind what keeps you buying games or wanting to buy games each week? Is it the fear of missing out on a good game/"good deal"? Is it something else? Maybe you never really thought about it until now?

Despite considering myself a collector, I don't buy all that many games. I don't go on sale binges or anything (mostly because I hate digital games, but anyway). If a game doesn't appeal to me, or if it doesn't have a million people on the internet constantly singing its praises and saying how much worse off you are for not having played it (and even then, it still needs to appeal to me on some level, hence why I still haven't played The Last of Us or any GTA game), I'm just not going to get it.

According to my Amazon order history, I'm averaging about one game per month, which I would say isn't all that many. Certainly isn't more than one per week like the OP was mentioning. Despite that, I do like to buy a game as soon as I decided I'm going to try it out, basically because If I wait for too long, the game may become rarer, and hence, a lot harder (and more expensive) to get. I'd rather just get it now and save myself the trouble later. I rarely get them on release date and Amazon greatly lowers the prices on games shortly after release anyway, so I never end up spending all that much.

But if I don't get all that many games, then why is my backlog so huge? Well, the reason why is twofold:

• I wasn't expecting to like as many games as I ended up liking. My tastes in gaming aren't exactly mainstream, and despite getting games that were praised by a lot of people and that on the surface seemed like they would appeal to me, I generally find that most games have been overhyped to hell and don't translate to an experience I personally enjoy, despite seeming like they would from the trailers and reviews. Or so I thought... because rather than a 50/50 like/not like ratio, it's been more like a 80/20 so far. Guess I my eye for good games is better than I myself thought :P
  • The games I end up liking are very long and/or have a lot of sequels. So... this basically speaks for itself. When I do end up liking a game, I obviously want to go the full distance - and that means 100%-ing it. Though sometimes the game is so massive that obviously, the other ones have to stay in the waiting room for longer. I'd say the major culprits in this are the Persona games, considering they're already pretty huge and still make you play them over twice in order to get everything. I started with the series back in 2015 and only now have I reached Persona 5... and I still have P5D and PQ2 to get to.

As for why I'd rather purchase games instead of going free-to-play or joining a subscription service? Simple. Free-to-play games, due to the fact that they're... you know, free, keep pestering you with ads to buy microtransactions to make up for the fact that they're... you know, free. And most F2P games have become so obnoxious with it that they've essentially become nagware. I'd rather just pay everything upfront for a full game and be completely immersed in an ad-free experience instead of getting roped up in a limitless cash-grab.

(Some full-priced games are also riddled with microtransactions and slowly becoming nagware, you say? Yeah, I know. Hence why I keep up with gaming news and steer clear of those steaming piles of garbage. If I pay full-price upfront for a premium game, then I expect a premium game, not a fee-to-play game. You might have also noticed that most of my games are either older, when publishers still didn't pull that load of crap, first-party titles, which also don't pull that load of crap, or Japanese, which [mostly] steer clear of that load of bull)

Not to mention F2P games are more of a distraction, a way to kill time, not really the kind of thing I'm looking for in games.

As for why I haven't gone to streaming services... well, besides the fact that lag is a thing and that the prices are still absolutely laughable, if I put some money towards something, I want to make sure that: A - I actually own the damn thing B - I can use it however and whenever I feel like it. Same reasons why I have an all-physical collection, really.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it's the sales on PSN that lead me to hoard, especially the black Friday, golden week and new years sales always have such great discounts. I have a tendency to buy a bunch of games in sales since they might not go on sale again for a long time. I also download the free to play games

• Like 1

Because I enjoy playing with my friends than not all of them play same games/genre and most of them ain't f2p.

Because there's a lot of single player games with amazing stories or gameplays, being released.

And kinda because I remember too much the stories of most games I played, and like jumping from one style to another and if I played to much a particular game although I might enjoy it I get bored and lose interest.

That doesn't mind that I bought every game I found, I just got a long list of games I know I'm gonna enjoy ( at least 99% of them ), and unless it's a I WANT IT game I wait until it's price drop or there's and offer good enough.

But in the end is like everything else why do you get new stuff when you have all this other stuff? Because I want and I can and I'm gonna enjoy it very much.

Also having a lovely selection of game in physical format looks cool on the shelf, plus you can let your friends borrow them while you borrow theirs.

Edited by Wolf_D_Flame
  • Like 1