New ‘Earthworm Jim’ Game in Development From Original Team

ziggypossum

rCT8XxD.jpg

New ‘Earthworm Jim’ Game in Development From Original Team

Ten of the original programmers, artists, audio team members, and level designers have come back together to work on a new “Earthworm Jim” game for the upcoming Intellivision Amico video game console, the company announced Tuesday morning.

There will be a 20-minute live interactive simulcast streaming event on May 4 at noon PT during the team’s first “Earthworm Jim” design meeting. During that meeting, the team will discuss their new vision of the game firsthand as well as showing off original art pieces. Some of that art will be signed and given away, as well as 50 new posters, to livestream viewers.

“We have been talking about this moment for many years, it’s a dream come true to finally get the entire team back together,” said Tommy Tallarico, Intellivision Entertainment CEO/President and original “Earthworm Jim 1 & 2” composer and sound designer. “We’re looking forward to sharing a small part of our reunion and initial design meeting with fans from around the world. Intellivision Amico is designed to bring friends and families together and we are excited for fans and those just being introduced to the series to get a first look as we kick-off the design of the game.”

“Earthworm Jim” celebrates its 25-year anniversary this year. It was originally released in 1994 for the Sega Genesis. The last time the team worked together was on the game’s follow-up, which hit in 1995. Original team members returning to work on this game include Doug TenNapel, David Perry, Tommy Tallarico, Nick Bruty, Mike Dietz, Tom Tanaka, and Joey Kuras.

The inclusion of TenNapel, who created the character, has disappointed some fans of the franchise because of the homophobic and transphobic comments the writer and cartoonist has made over the years.  Much of those comments were made on Twitter, which he hasn’t posted to since last summer.

Interplay still owns the license to the game.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/earthworm-jim-3-details-1203202256/

• Like 4

I’d love for what the vision was for Ouya or Steambox to be an actual thing, but history has shown that it’s not likely.

Heres the secret recipe to get this right at this stage in the world of video games:

1. Price

2. Compelling features (games and something else) that any random Pi can’t do

3. Hackability

4. Accessibility for programmers

Leave the vulnerabilities open just long enough to get a cat and mouse game going and move units, then when they gain the install base.  With the install base, you can convert people/developers/publishers from other platforms or make it a great first platform for first time developers.

New Earthworm Jim + right price point + right features and I’m in. 

I got to say, I love Earthworm Jim, I’d love to have an official statue of the character itself in my shelf... but I don’t care about this game after watching half of the live stream.

What I disliked the most was when he “repeated” himself about porting the game to other consoles. The sarcastic ton and attitude he calls “kindly” - because he already replied (somewhere) thousands times to that. The main reason was: this console does what others don’t. Although no specs of the console were given yet, so I doubt it does.

They clearly said the game is not going to be a side scrolling platform like I was expecting - so that’s a No for me. So we’ll have something like Toy Story Mania (couch co-op mini games with Move controls) instead an acclaimed Toy Story 2 sequel. 

I’m ok with the game being exclusive, made specifically for a console, but I don’t see a good reason (yet) to spend money on it because of a single game, completely different from the 2 originals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kezzai said:

When the Amico flops I imagine this will be ported to other consoles.

I have no doubt Amico will tank hard. It'll probably hit the clearance bins for $15 before 18 months. I don't get why they're even bothering with this. With it being $150-180 I don't expect a lot of power. The specs are probably pretty sorry looking, especially if it has to compete with PS5. Limiting the game library to E/E10+ games with an $8 max price won't help.

Not feelin' it. Why don't they just go with PS4, X1, Switch, & PC to release these games? Geez.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...