PS3 Error 8002F14E

MooseSketts

Last night I tried to update one of my PS3s (super slim) to 4.84.  I was having a crazy time trying to connect my PS3 via wireless (as I have done before but with no issues).  Long story short, I wound up connecting my PS3 via Ethernet to my router was able to download 4.84.  I believe sometime during the download I got an error message stating the Ethernet cable had been unplugged (which it was never unplugged), but the download kept going.  During installation my PS3 kept getting hung up around 63%, would restart, and try to install the update again.  Now I am stuck in this infinite loop every time I turn on the PS3.  It will not let me in safe mode and when it gets up to about 63% I get error message 8002F14E.

Before I completely take the console apart could anyone help shed some light on the situation?  I have poked around online and found multiple (and some questionable) solutions on fixing the console.  Just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and what they had done to fix it.

Edited by MooseSketts
Type Of PS3 Added

17 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

Last night I tried to update one of my PS3s to 4.84.  I was having a crazy time trying to connect my PS3 via wireless (as I have done before but with no issues).  Long story short, I wound up connecting my PS3 via Ethernet to my router was able to download 4.84.  I believe sometime during the download I got an error message stating the Ethernet cable had been unplugged (which it was never unplugged), but the download kept going.  During installation my PS3 kept getting hung up around 63%, would restart, and try to install the update again.  Now I am stuck in this infinite loop every time I turn on the PS3.  It will not let me in safe mode and when it gets up to about 63% I get error message 8002F14E.

Before I completely take the console apart could anyone help shed some light on the situation?  I have poked around online and found multiple (and some questionable) solutions on fixing the console.  Just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and what they had done to fix it.

Taking the console apart will do nothing to help this scenario aside from possibly cleaning out some dust that may cause some overheating that *might* be causing some errors in processing, but it's highly unlikely. There's no components to just swap out like a pc.

I'd recommend:

Downloading the firmware on a usb drive from here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps3/ 

THEN attempting Safe mode and flashing the new firmware: https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Reinstall-PlayStation-3-System-Software?language=en_US

I suspect your hard drive might be due for a replacement. Loading firmware from USB should be more reliable.

I hope I can get into safe mode since it wasn't working at all last night.  Thank you for the links.  I will attempt this when I get the chance and let you know what happens.

I've barely used the system, too, and kept it stored in the original packaging... So FML I suppose.

26 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

I hope I can get into safe mode since it wasn't working at all last night.  Thank you for the links.  I will attempt this when I get the chance and let you know what happens.

I've barely used the system, too, and kept it stored in the original packaging... So FML I suppose.

Fun fact: Spinning hard drives last longer under constant usage than infrequent usage (https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf)

So here's what happened @DaivRules

I tried entering safe mode again on my PS3 (I'm going to call this my Alt PS3, which has a 500GB hard drive).  It failed.  I was able to get the quick double beeps, but the system would immediately go to installing the update as it had done last night instead of Safe Mode.  The install would reach 63%, 64% and I would get the error again.

I decided to try another hard drive in the Alt PS3 (an 80GB).  I reformatted it and attempted to install the firmware (version 4.84) via my flash drive.  It failed.  It got all the way up to 64% and the 8002F14E error message appeared.

Then, I used my Main PS3 to reformat both hard drives - the 80GB and 500GB - and attempted to install the firmware via my flash drive using my Main PS3.  Success on both!  

I took the 500GB out of my Main PS3 and put it back into the Alt PS3, reformatted it, and tried installing the firmware via the flash drive again.  It failed again.  I did the same thing with the 80GB and that also failed.

It's probably nothing; however, my Main PS3 had stated to update to version 4.84, while my Alt PS3 stated to update to version 4.82 or better.  I did attempt to install version 4.82 just to see if it would work on the Alt PS3, but the system was unable to find the file on my flash drive.  I did not pursue version 4.82 further.

The issue is something else other than my hard drive.  Do you have any suggestions what it may be?  I know that there are no easy, swap-out components like a PC, but anything you could think of would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, MooseSketts said:

Do you have any suggestions what it may be?  I know that there are no easy, swap-out components like a PC, but anything you could think of would be much appreciated.

Well I’m at a loss here since you’ve had identical results with both data sources (hard drive as well as USB). Quick search online does say your experience is typical if the Blu ray drive cable has become disconnected. Maybe it might be worth opening it up and checking for a loose or disconnected ribbon. Don’t get too crazy into taking it all apart as you may disturb the heat sink connection and cause yourself even more problems down the road. Getting the cover off should expose the drive ribbon and allow you to text it’s connection easily. 

9 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Quick search online does say your experience is typical if the Blu ray drive cable has become disconnected. Maybe it might be worth opening it up and checking for a loose or disconnected ribbon.

I'll give that a try sometime next week and let you know what happens.  I really appreciate all of your help.

1 hour ago, visighost said:

I documented a very similar issue here:

I have to say that in my case, nothing solved my problem, I lost all my saves, and had to buy a new machine... Hope you're luckier than me.

oh god :(. i had something happen like you did my ps4 gave that exact same error i had to restart it twice after it failed to find the ps4. if i did lost my saves i wouldn't of lost maybe what i played and i have binding of isaac backed up. 

On 5/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, Chingon_Player said:

Try installing the full system (not the update) from usb drive this will erase everything from the ps3

I am unsure what you mean.  I cannot do anything unless I reformat the hard drive, which leads to the updating loop.  And most importantly, I cannot get into safe mode. 

On 5/3/2019 at 8:36 AM, visighost said:

Snip

On 5/3/2019 at 10:36 AM, lordguwa said:

Snip

Sorry that this has happened to you both.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:50 PM, DaivRules said:

Well I’m at a loss here since you’ve had identical results with both data sources (hard drive as well as USB). Quick search online does say your experience is typical if the Blu ray drive cable has become disconnected. Maybe it might be worth opening it up and checking for a loose or disconnected ribbon. Don’t get too crazy into taking it all apart as you may disturb the heat sink connection and cause yourself even more problems down the road. Getting the cover off should expose the drive ribbon and allow you to text it’s connection easily. 

An update on the problem child:

I took off the top cover of the PS3.  No ribbons cables were disturbed.  I wound up going further and taking apart the system down to the circuit board and I was not impressed with what I saw.  I expected the circuit board to be clean, but it wasn't.  There appears to be a lot of flux residue on the board as if the parts were soldered on by hand and not cleaned afterwards.  If I feel adventuresome and feel like wasting my time I may clean the circuit board up (and yes I know what I will be doing).

Anyway, thanks for all your help!