Why do people care about trophies?

swolemanlet

I never really used to be a fan of trophies if I get them in a game then fair play but I never used to hunt them down. 

Well not until now. If I really enjoy a game then I will go all out to gain all of the trophies like sleeping dogs in which i thought was an epic game, and now GTA IV I really enjoyed the game but when the trophy patch was released I though no not going to bother. 

Now a while since release I've sunk my teeth back into the game as I'm really looking forward to the new one :D

Lemme see if I can explain this:

For some, it's to be on top of some leaderboard.

Some, bragging right with friends.

Or shear boredom

For me, I do it to get reply value out of all my games and a very little bragging right (cause there are ppl with more stunning accounts than me.

You don't have to like it but for alot of us, it has brought us together and I've made many good friends because of those pixilated icons.

• Like 2

I get them so I can get laid.

I like your answer :)

I never really used to be a fan of trophies if I get them in a game then fair play but I never used to hunt them down. 

Well not until now. If I really enjoy a game then I will go all out to gain all of the trophies like sleeping dogs in which i thought was an epic game, and now GTA IV I really enjoyed the game but when the trophy patch was released I though no not going to bother. 

Now a while since release I've sunk my teeth back into the game as I'm really looking forward to the new one :D

I've done this as well, sleeping dogs is a personal favourite and i mostly just got the platinum by completing everything in the game, this goes for Saints Row: The Third too.

I like your answer :)

I've done this as well, sleeping dogs is a personal favourite and i mostly just got the platinum by completing everything in the game, this goes for Saints Row: The Third too.

I've still got saints row the third to do, which reminds me I have to get my save game file of my brothers ps3. Or might play through it again, but i will be painful as i only have the challenges left to do  :angry:

For me is kinda of weird when I got my xbox in 2006 I never really cared for the achievements not sure why, I mean its just some huge number and on ps3 there are levels different types and such which somehow made it more satisfy. It also gives more playing time for the game than the standard 6-8 hours campaign essentially giving you more time for your money I also find it fun to 100% complete games I really enjoy and that's about it, the idea of bragging about number of trophies however is pretty puzzling to me. 

tl ; dr - yes to get laid what else. 

• Like 1

I think that I do it because I'm a completionist. I feel good knowing that I've completed all that the game had to offer and I'm done with it and I can move on. I've experienced it and I don't need to come back and revisit it. There is only so much time that we have to play these games so I'm not the kind of gamer who likes to hold onto games and play them again after I've finished them because there are so many more games to play and my backlog (like most of ours) is huge! Also, I think that trophies encourage us to play parts of the game that we might have skipped over initially. Case in point is the GTAIV multiplayer. It's hard, challenging, and takes a long time but I'm actually enjoying it. It'll be a huge sense of achievement when I finallly get that plat and I don't think that that emotion can be duplicated were it not for chasing trophies. In essence, the way I look at it is: "Each trophy is a game in itself."

Edited by Lower7896

You must have cared about the trophies enough for those two games to go a little bit out of your way for them. I doubt most people playing Saint's Row and not paying any attention to trophies would just naturally do the wheelies and stoppies required, or do 50 hostage diversions and getting the windshield cannon challenge naturally is fairly unlikely as well.

Same goes for sleeping dogs where it's pretty doubtful you are going to get all your vault strikes without grinding them out, net a cool million in gambling winnings and some of the other challenges...

Admit it...you wanted those trophies! And I bet when they popped it felt oddly satisfying ^^

So there's your answer.

• Like 2

To challenge myself.

Seriously, trophies let me do things I woudn't care about normally like doing all sidequests in one playthrough or defeat the hardest boss or playing on the hardest difficulty. So... Yeah. Getting plat is the same like "you completed a game 100%! you can be proud of yourself and not just doing things half way and wasted ur money." lol

• Like 1

I usually never experience the whole game if I do it on my own. Trophies usually help me find something new about the game like a new weapon or an easter egg or something story related. Plus I personally find it worthwhile to have something that shows you accomplished something, like getting collectibles or beating something on a higher difficulty.

Well I've been a completionist since I remember. For most of my games and consoles I always try to find and  unlock everything and I think trophies are a good way to keep track of your game acomplishments and compare them with other players.