Platinum Games teases two new wholly-owned IPs

Vergil

interview with Platinum Games studio head Atsushi Inaba, who shared various tidbits of information regarding the studio’s future.

Here are the details:

• Bayonetta 3 will see a change in design process based on Platinum Games’ experience on developing Bayonetta 1 and 2.
  • Platinum Games is midway through the development of an unannounced title which “has never been done before,” according to Inaba. He added, “I know a lot of people say that, but the game we’re working on truly is unlike anything else. Even for our varied history of veteran game developers, this is something that has never been designed before. So from a game design perspective, we’re very excited right now.”
  • Platinum Games is aiming to move towards self-publishing, as it will eventually have the “freedom” to own its intellectual properties and make independent decisions on future directions.
  • “2019 will be an incredibly important year for us,” Inaba said. “Without speaking directly to the number of titles we may or may not announce, I can say it’s going to be a year of some major new approaches, new challenges and new methods for us. Basically, we’re building a new foundation that in later years will pay dividends. For us, new challenges are going to be very important.”
  • Platinum Games’ new approaches include a move away from relying on external publisher funding, as well as an examination of how it structures game design.
  • While Platinum Games has worked with third-party partners in the past on properties it does not own, such as Bayonetta, NieR: Automata, and the upcoming Astral Chain, it is currently working on two new intellectual properties owned entirely by the studio, neither of which have been announced.
  • The creation of wholly-owned properties will not result in the end of third-party collaborations, however. “There are still going to potentially be games in which we partner with publishers to do big things with big IPs,” Inaba said. There might be some co-publishing options where we’re doing some of it and they’re doing some of it to make a larger game, and there might be situations where we’re going to be self-publishing larger games as well.”

Looking forward to see what they do. Hopefully something for PS4 :)

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/platinum-games-teases-two-new-wholly-owned-ips-new-title-that-has-never-been-done-before

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Dont think ive played many of their games but if they helped with Nier autamata one of my favorite games ever then maybe I should check some of their other stuff out.  

You should definitely try Vanquish and Metal Gear rising. And if you can Bayonetta too. 

Oh nice, there's a Bayonetta 3 coming. I might have to look into getting a Switch after all. Curious about the new games Platinum Games is developing, so far I've enjoyed every game I've played from them.

16 minutes ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Dont think ive played many of their games but if they helped with Nier autamata one of my favorite games ever then maybe I should check some of their other stuff out.  

10 minutes ago, Vergil said:

You should definitely try Vanquish and Metal Gear rising. And if you can Bayonetta too. 

In addition to Vergi's post: also give The Legend of Korra a try. The combat is great and especially countering is really fluent.

Just be warned that korra has been delisted and there has been no physical versions to my knowledge so unless you have a gameshare partner that has it youre out of luck on playing it.You can still get transformers devestation(which has also been delisted but thankfully physical versions are plentiful) which uses a similar gameplay style.

1 hour ago, Vergil said:

interview with Platinum Games studio head Atsushi Inaba, who shared various tidbits of information regarding the studio’s future.

Here are the details:

• Bayonetta 3 will see a change in design process based on Platinum Games’ experience on developing Bayonetta 1 and 2.
  • Platinum Games is midway through the development of an unannounced title which “has never been done before,” according to Inaba. He added, “I know a lot of people say that, but the game we’re working on truly is unlike anything else. Even for our varied history of veteran game developers, this is something that has never been designed before. So from a game design perspective, we’re very excited right now.”
  • Platinum Games is aiming to move towards self-publishing, as it will eventually have the “freedom” to own its intellectual properties and make independent decisions on future directions.
  • “2019 will be an incredibly important year for us,” Inaba said. “Without speaking directly to the number of titles we may or may not announce, I can say it’s going to be a year of some major new approaches, new challenges and new methods for us. Basically, we’re building a new foundation that in later years will pay dividends. For us, new challenges are going to be very important.”
  • Platinum Games’ new approaches include a move away from relying on external publisher funding, as well as an examination of how it structures game design.
  • While Platinum Games has worked with third-party partners in the past on properties it does not own, such as Bayonetta, NieR: Automata, and the upcoming Astral Chain, it is currently working on two new intellectual properties owned entirely by the studio, neither of which have been announced.
  • The creation of wholly-owned properties will not result in the end of third-party collaborations, however. “There are still going to potentially be games in which we partner with publishers to do big things with big IPs,” Inaba said. There might be some co-publishing options where we’re doing some of it and they’re doing some of it to make a larger game, and there might be situations where we’re going to be self-publishing larger games as well.”

Looking forward to see what they do. Hopefully something for PS4 :)

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/platinum-games-teases-two-new-wholly-owned-ips-new-title-that-has-never-been-done-before

Zero faith in platinum here. They did too many work for hire and licensed titles to stay afloat. I used to get excited at their name

I'm excited about Bayonetta 3 (even though we haven't seen anything about it except for that teaser trailer at the Game Awards a year and a half ago). Astral Chain looks pretty sweet too and I'll be picking that up the day it releases. Incidentally, nothing in that interview hints at the rumoured resurrection of Scalebound so I guess that is dead in the water. I can't wait to see what else they have in the pipeline.