The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

2 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

I commend you for always putting forward these things in a positive manner and I will try to explain to you my side of things. As I've said, AEW is certainly watchable. If you were to take a show on it's own it would certainly look better, but I never look at things like this in a vacuum. What happened before, what do present events look to be building to, what does this do to the perception of people, things like that. I'm not going to belabour this by doing a lot of text unless you really need explaining... but basically everything you mentioned had problems leading up to the event. The match they have could be a great match, 7! stars from Meltzer... and it is hurt by everything that lead up to it. 

To not even get to the long term issues, some which you mentioned. Bad refereeing. Women getting scraps. Jumpstarts/Interference/post match attacks again and again. Stuff repeating on the same show. Large amounts of heel vs heel matches. Face vs Face matches which should be fine having weird issues at times too. Battle royal nonsense (not against them, they're just always stupid in AEW). These things all hurt the program bit by bit and it runs people off. Hardcore fans may block it out, but it matters. Heck, even I was blocking some of it simply due to simply forgetting stuff. Noting the interference insanity, the heel vs heel matches, the refereeing week to week... it became clear just how bad the rot is. When I started that rating system I thought I'd have to retire it soon after as the insanity would slow down heavily as criticism for it came in... instead it creeped up and up. 

I guess I weigh the significance of the problems and move on accordingly.  Take Cage/Page for instance.  That "feud" had/has a laundry list of problems leading up to and during the match: 

First - the start/stop nature of Cage breaking off from Team Tazz.  It started with him respecting Sting causing friction between he and Starks (who is another guy I'd love to see get more time on a 2nd major show).  The friction then disappeared for weeks before coming back outta nowhere, not good.  However, it wasn't dropped completely and forgotten forever like WWE tends to do and the restart of it was at least logical to me.  I have confidence they'll pay it off. 

Second - the interference, it worked here because it pushed the overall story they wanted to tell.  PPV matches are always best when they're clean 1 on 1 affairs but sometimes shenanigans serve a bigger purpose. 

Third - Page's first loss killing his momentum.  He was on fire leading up to that match then boom... done.  It looked pointless at the time and killed his momentum against a guy who hasn't really done anything of note.  Cage's win, however, was dirty so Hangman didn't lose much momentum and at the PPV he proved he can get the job done.  All that's left in my eyes is them to have a respectful "may the best man win" face vs. face match (problem #4).  Hangman should win, but Cage needs to look good in the loss, which I think is a strength in AEW.  Hangman can move onto Omega and Cage can start his new face run.  Every single one of those things I mentioned could be called a problem, however, in the proper context the only one that's "bad" is the disappearing of the breakup story for a few weeks so it's easy for me to accept them.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

I guess I weigh the significance of the problems and move on accordingly.  Take Cage/Page for instance.  That "feud" had/has a laundry list of problems leading up to and during the match: 

First - the start/stop nature of Cage breaking off from Team Tazz.  It started with him respecting Sting causing friction between he and Starks (who is another guy I'd love to see get more time on a 2nd major show).  The friction then disappeared for weeks before coming back outta nowhere, not good.  However, it wasn't dropped completely and forgotten forever like WWE tends to do and the restart of it was at least logical to me.  I have confidence they'll pay it off. 

Second - the interference, it worked here because it pushed the overall story they wanted to tell.  PPV matches are always best when they're clean 1 on 1 affairs but sometimes shenanigans serve a bigger purpose. 

Third - Page's first loss killing his momentum.  He was on fire leading up to that match then boom... done.  It looked pointless at the time and killed his momentum against a guy who hasn't really done anything of note.  Cage's win, however, was dirty so Hangman didn't lose much momentum and at the PPV he proved he can get the job done.  All that's left in my eyes is them to have a respectful "may the best man win" face vs. face match (problem #4).  Hangman should win, but Cage needs to look good in the loss, which I think is a strength in AEW.  Hangman can move onto Omega and Cage can start his new face run.  Every single one of those things I mentioned could be called a problem, however, in the proper context the only one that's "bad" is the disappearing of the breakup story for a few weeks so it's easy for me to accept them.

1: You have confidence it will pay off? The only endgame that can happen if this goes to the end and isn't dropped is Cage turning face... then what? Can you see any room for Cage anywhere on the card? I'd imagine it'd then go like this: He first likely beats Hobbs sure (as Starks is injured) and then one of two things happen based on what I've seen from AEW. The first is Cage then feuds with Team Taz for an eternity. The second is he then loses to someone else, perhaps feeding him to Omega/Miro on a Dynamite, and then he vanishes to Dark where he beats 20 jobbers in a row for all that matters (0).

2: The issue isn't that interference happens, as you said, for the story it makes sense for that one. It is that has an overwhelming presence on the show. It's sort of like the matter of "No DQ" in AEW. To anyone who pays attention every match may as well be no DQ due to the incompetent refereeing... though, I should perhaps word that different. I can believe that guys like Knox are utter crap certainly, but the rest have to be incompetent as that is what they are expected to be. 

3: I disagree completely. Is there anyone who expected Page to then not get a follow up match with Cage? Page simply got crushed and that is what people saw. What? Cage attacked him at the start of the match? And? Page, a face, not that long ago jump started a heel he had no beef with. AEW does jumpstarts enough that you can hardly put it done as cheating, even the faces will do it for little reason because they think "We'll start hot with this. We're really smart". 

Page then got a match with Janela (should be fired) where he gets taken to the limit and by the end looks like the loser of the match. I knew of course that after that nobody Janela gave Page that much trouble he'd then beat Cage, why settle for hurting one person when you can hurt two. 

All this was to act as a distraction for Page, keep him away from the #1 which... they literally fix... they are the bookers... look, you can keep Page away from the title and not have him get squashed randomly by a loser, yes, loser, like Cage (like the rest of Team Taz). I'll spare you what fantasy booking I'd do but basically there are many ways to make someone not have a title match and not lose, even better if whatever diversion Page gets on ultimately connects to Omega.

13 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

As for the shows. To keep it brief. Refereeing was again a joke. I've heard talk AEW will be doing a corrupt referee angle to cover for their terrible refereeing... could you know... just improve the refereeing... too much to ask for I guess. A lot of WWE cosplaying as usual. Pinnacle, no, Pineapple because that is the name they deserve, is a joke. These goofs are supposed to be some elite faction and what have we seen from them? Lets run through the events we've seen.

Hahahaha....Pineapple. Wasn't a fan from the beginning with the whole bootleg Four Horseman thing.  MJF has won no titles, Revival had a difficult WWE run, Spears is a job guy and Wardlow is just there. Hardly 'pinnacle' level guys from a storyline point of view. 

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Also, this isn't sarcasm or an attempt to start a fight, you can and should always do you, I'm just legitimately curious, because from top to bottom, Double or Nothing was very well received.  The tag title match was entertaining and Kingston's real life story has been as feel good as it gets.  Sting went out there and gave a showing that no one thought he was still capable of and if it was his last hurrah, it was a great way to go out.  Page and Cage advanced a story that, I'll admit, looked like it was forgotten for a time but apparently isn't.  Britt deservedly won the title, Miro's push is continuing, The triple threat was non-stop entertaining, the Stadium Stampede was a great representation of coming full circle for the year and the crowd was H-O-T.  However all you write is "the refs suck and The Pinnacle's weak".  I'm not saying the show was perfect  There was far too much outside interference, the reffing is an issue and their Battle royals aren't ever that great (good to see Jungle Boy get the rub though).  Those things considered, there were still (to me at least) a lot more highs than lows.

When the WWE got to the point I wasn't enjoying anything I was watching, I stopped, and so far I haven't wanted to come back.  I still pay attention to what they do week to week hoping for change but until it comes... I'm out, and feel much better for it.

Agree with the DoN thoughts, felt it was entertaining and much better than Revolution. 

As for WWE, I'm pretty much the same except I'll tend watch the major PPV's and check on the results/highlights to keep up to date. Got far more invested around 2015-2017 as I felt it was going through a transition for the better, but it fizzled out and led to the current situation.....borderline unwatchable. 

I think wrestling's best days are long gone though. I always thought it was a element of nostalgia, but when you go back and watch older stuff you really see how much it's declined.

Edited by GloriousFury9414

6 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Hahahaha....Pineapple. Wasn't a fan from the beginning with the whole bootleg Four Horseman thing.  MJF has won no titles, Revival had a difficult WWE run, Spears is a job guy and Wardlow is just there. Hardly 'pinnacle' level guys from a storyline point of view. 

Agree with the DoN thoughts, felt it was entertaining and much better than Revolution. 

As for WWE, I'm pretty much the same except I'll tend watch the major PPV's and check on the results/highlights to keep up to date. Got far more invested around 2015-2017 as I felt it was going through a transition for the better, but it fizzled out and led to the current situation.....borderline unwatchable. 

I think wrestling's best days are long gone though. I always thought it was a element of nostalgia, but when you go back and watch older stuff you really see how much it's declined.

Exactly. Everyone knows that these guys aren't elites and this is cosplay so AEW needs to work to make sure that perception changes. That requires wins, it requires domination, it requires titles. Instead they've made out to be goofs by Jericho and get proven to be with every embarrassment and defeat they take be it in matches or outside them. 
Ultimately either AEW's booker of the year is incompetent on booking them... or/and it's the Young Bucks and Omega hurting the Pineapple. Notice that the "Elite" have everything that the Pineapple needs. I don't buy for a second this "We're all happy souls that get along perfectly with everyone" nonsense in AEW, no doubt in my mind that Omega and the Bucks are sabotaging Pineapple, Hangman, and anybody a threat to them whenever they can. 

The thing that should be remembered with the WWE is that it is long term damage. Back during the Authority saga in 2014 RAW was pulling in what? 3.6 million viewers I think, they were opening near every RAW with a 20 min heel promo. At the top of the card heels always won as even if a face could get a victory it would instantly get negated afterwards. Hate online built up and became more noticeable than ever which is brought on HHH's perhaps now infamous promo of "Me and my friend Mark are going to stop watching" as fans would complain and threaten to stop watching and yet clearly continued to watch. This continued for what felt an eternity and the fans forced the WWE to give the title to Daniel Bryan and finally there could be some light at the end of the tunnel... and then Bryan got injured and we lost it... not that with hindsight we could trust the WWE as the obliteration that John Cena received from Brock Lesnar at the following Summerslam was clearly originally meant for Bryan. We were back in the dark... then Survivor Series 2014 happened. Due to Roman Reigns having to go away his role instead was played by fan favourite Dolph Ziggler who eliminated 4 members of the Authority team, managing to win a 3 on 1 handicap match after his team had been defeated. Then they quickly brought back the Authority for more heel terror and kayfabe fired for a period Ziggler, Ryback, and Rowen. All 3 guys were over faces, Ziggler so much so at that point that they could have been a popular WWE champion, and WWE purposely cooled them off because it is a heel dominated show damn it. Meanwhile during this and for a disgusting good period after even post-Authority was Lesnar who had a stranglehold on the title. Barely present on RAW and obliterating every face opponent he faced and showing them up to be nothings. 

The above I think is the source of the woes that WWE faces today when it comes to their bleeding of fans. Fans got invested, really invested in faces and WWE spat in their faces and told them faces are just losers, giving us the long term heel domination I described. Look at Ziggler today. Guy has had to become a heel as his support from fans turned against him. Why wouldn't it? WWE made very clear, heck, Moxley even promoted it in a promo (why do this except to screw with a guy?) that Ziggler was just a loser and then beat Ziggler. 
It's true that heels today are more popular than they were in the old days as some people think they're so smart for cheering on heels... however ultimately a show cannot be an evil heel empire long term without damaging fan support. People can only cheer on the faces so many times before they come to the conclusion of why are they wasting their time on these losers who will never win. It is why I previously cautioned here AEW on this matter of the Elite... I'm sure Omega and the Bucks are happy to have the titles and win all the time... but they need to take big loses to faces soon. Hangman to me should not have taken that loss he did against Cage and the build to the next PVP should be him vs Omega where he wins the title. People who think Hangman needs more "time" are deluded as Hangman has already been cooled off and kept away too long as it is. 

Looks like I won't be watching this for several weeks. I refuse to watch it late Friday nights because that's when I get most of my gaming done. But I guess this is why reading results online is a thing you can do.

Either way... I'd literally rather not watch wrestling at all then be forced to watch AEW only.

4 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Exactly. Everyone knows that these guys aren't elites and this is cosplay so AEW needs to work to make sure that perception changes. That requires wins, it requires domination, it requires titles. Instead they've made out to be goofs by Jericho and get proven to be with every embarrassment and defeat they take be it in matches or outside them. 
Ultimately either AEW's booker of the year is incompetent on booking them... or/and it's the Young Bucks and Omega hurting the Pineapple. Notice that the "Elite" have everything that the Pineapple needs. I don't buy for a second this "We're all happy souls that get along perfectly with everyone" nonsense in AEW, no doubt in my mind that Omega and the Bucks are sabotaging Pineapple, Hangman, and anybody a threat to them whenever they can. 

I think it's difficult the level that at Omega/Bucks for the Pinnacle/Hangman. Besides isn't Hangman part of the Elite on the Youtube thing they do, so they are probably buddies? I think both Omega/Bucks are worthy of titles at this point, just the whole EVP deal gets them alot of stick. Hangman was sabotaged by the rankings system they have in place and a terrible execution which made him look fairly weak even with cheating involved. Without the ranking system Cage/Hangman would have likely have had a different outcome. I'd say it's Kahn here if anybody. Long term, it won't hurt Hangman Page as he'll still be likely to get his title run and fans still are backing him. If he had of lost to Cage at DoN that's a totally different matter though. 

Well considering rumors fly about how Cody and Bucks/Omega don't get on well, I'm guessing over how the business is moving forward with Cody being more traditional and Omega/Bucks being more modern must cause some issues. 

With WWE, unless your in a face role the levels of Cena, then you'll get lost in the shuffle in the end or turned heel. WWE flip/flop guys heel and face so often and for no real reason. 

1 minute ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I think it's difficult the level that at Omega/Bucks for the Pinnacle/Hangman. Besides isn't Hangman part of the Elite on the Youtube thing they do, so they are probably buddies? I think both Omega/Bucks are worthy of titles at this point, just the whole EVP deal gets them alot of stick. Hangman was sabotaged by the rankings system they have in place and a terrible execution which made him look fairly weak even with cheating involved. Without the ranking system Cage/Hangman would have likely have had a different outcome. I'd say it's Kahn here if anybody. Long term, it won't hurt Hangman Page as he'll still be likely to get his title run and fans still are backing him. If he had of lost to Cage at DoN that's a totally different matter though. 

Well considering rumors fly about how Cody and Bucks/Omega don't get on well, I'm guessing over how the business is moving forward with Cody being more traditional and Omega/Bucks being more modern must cause some issues. 

With WWE, unless your in a face role the levels of Cena, then you'll get lost in the shuffle in the end or turned heel. WWE flip/flop guys heel and face so often and for no real reason. 

He isn't part of the Elite as they had an angle where him and Omega fell out. In RL are they still friends I imagine as nothing has come out saying otherwise... but in the business of wrestling plenty of "friends" have sabotaged people they deemed a threat to them. Hangman if he gets pushed as he should it will be to the number 1 face, "the guy", something that Omega has already shown he can't be. He has Khan's ear as an EVP and he can harm people without being blatant with a "bury this guy". He can state that Hangman still needs more time, that Hangman can lose Cage to keep him away from the title like Khan wants, that the likes of Joey Janela should get a lot of offense in on Page, you get the idea. 

I mean, it is very easy to see why they'd fall out. Cody Rhodes is someone envious of HHH and like HHH he loves an older style, the southern style of wrestling. Said style was defeated by Vince McMahon and his Sports Entertainment, the northern style of wrestling. AEW is something that ultimately is up against the WWE and to Cody this likely is personal considering the issues that his father, a southern style wrestling legend, had with Vince, who people often remark hated Dusty and did things to try and humiliate him... which is nonsense to me as we know how Vince is, but whatever.

Then you have the Bucks and Omega. Indy guys with an Indy mentality who want AEW to basically be a cosplay of WWE. Show full of jokes. Everything is fake. Skits everywhere. Nonsense everywhere. HEAT overwhelming (endless postmatch attacks/jumpstarts). And if this Elite thing goes on for far longer than it should we will even be able to tick the box of having a heel dominated company, note that every champion in AEW is a heel at current and none of the champions are expected to the lose their titles any time soon. 

AEW has a chance to be different to the WWE and change the perception of wrestling back to what it was and Omega/Bucks are harming that... I think that is how Cody sees it. Not that Cody is perfect in actually being how he aspires to be. He wants to be "real" but he is too much of an... actor? Too stagey perhaps is a better description? Cody is actually far better at being a sports entertainer than a southern type wrestler. 

It was said back in the day that people would miss Cena whenever he'd go and... yeah. You need a top face of that level in wrestling especially in an evil heel empire like WWE to keep the perception away from people's minds that the faces in the company are just losers and there is no point investing in them. Pretty sure when Cena stopped being the guy, appearing less (and then left), and actually taking numerous losses, was also when RAW numbers began their heavy drop into the number we have today. Honestly, considering what Cena had to deal with in the modern day compared to Hogan, I'd put Cena above Hogan. Many haters felt Cena was too pushed, that he couldn't wrestle, that his position was one any of their favourites could hold... I think it has been shown quite clear that such things are not the case.

I'm not going to examine the whole show closely but I feel the opener is something that really explains how I view things, plus it goes pretty long itself so imagine if I examined the rest of the show.

The Heel vs Heel enthusiasts back again. We get told that Fenix was taken out in the back randomly by the Young Bucks. Good Brothers chase after Frankie who attacks Nakazawa and never return... what happened to them? This spot can be phoney looking if done near the end of the match but right at the start? Stupid. Penta even though his brother has been attacked by his opponents is out there happy, smiling, and interacting with the crowd (PAC I'm still of the mind that he knows all this is stupid and he doesn't like it)... additionally even though both Penta and PAC are aggressive heels... no jumpstart? Hangman, the top face, will jumpstart random heels he has no beef with but these nasty heels will just allow the Young Bucks get in the ring and take no issue? No, it doesn't count the attack after Frankie does his thing because for that to make sense, that being Penta and PAC waiting for Frankie to cause the distraction would be for the three to be in cahoots which they ain't.

During the match Penta in front of God and everybody blatantly goes to the corner and hides with his head peaking out so he can see what is going on and does nothing as his opponents double team his partner, which once done with he staggers up to make himself available... phoney work, one of the worst cases of this I've seen. At one point I made sure to time it and the Young Bucks were at one point 44 seconds in the ring both at the same time and at no point did the referee ever start a count, at no point did the referee try to say something/gesture/whatever for them to get out... oh, but this is a seed for corrupt referee Knox who is paid off by the Young Bucks? Is that why PAC and Penta then spent 85!!! seconds double teaming? I'm going to say it here now. AEW tag team wrestling is wretched and maybe it might be worse in Mexico or whatever I don't know, but out of wrestling I know, it is the absolute dirt worst. If you like these matches then cool, but it ain't tag team wrestling. Tag team wrestling has actual rules and if you want a tag match of this sort of nature with never ending double teams then have a Tornado tag match, which is another thing that AEW ruins as who the hell cares about Tornado tag matches when normal tag matches are like this. The funniest thing in all this is remember the 10 second to leave the ring rule? The one they made to explain wrestlers doing these long double teams and never mention anymore? Why would you and make yourself look like an idiot I suppose, I mean even with 10 seconds they go over that by huge margins and like I said the referee doesn't even begin to count to begin with anyway.

This match may have been great to many, but it was crap on the side of the road to me. Now is my view overly traditional? That it? No I don't believe so. AEW itself set rules down for tag wrestling and then ignores them blatantly. AEW stated that the rules of their tag team matches are standard tag rules as we know them with a doubled period to double team (and backslap tags allowed though you can argue those are basically standard these days)... and they constantly break these rules. Then, in the next match (stupid booking from the booker of the year putting these two together) we get another tag match which is... a standard tag match with none of the utter insanity of the first match. If people can be as long as they want in the ring on double teams as shown by the first match. Are QT and Ogogo, heck Cody and Lee, idiots in kayfabe who don't realise they can double team for as long as they like? No, the Young Bucks and the Heel vs Heel enthusiasts are just allowed to go out there and do whatever the hell they want if it makes any sense or not. 

There are two solutions for booker of the year:

1- AEW announces that tag matches will all be Tornado tags now, or at the very least the double team time is extended to a 30 count. 

2- Booker of the year finds himself a spine he can use and tells the Young Bucks and the Heel vs Heel enthusiasts, the worst offenders, that if they pull that crap again then that'll be their last match in AEW.

Neither will occur obviously. Then people wonder why so many say pro-wrestling is stupid, fake, so forth, for why they want nothing to do with it. Why wouldn't they when this goes on in front of them? People aren't idiots on this. This might wow them at first but it'll desensitise them quickly and then they'll start seeing the gaping holes in all this and you've lost them. Not that I'm saying AEW fans are idiots of course as we're all enthusiasts for all manner of things and their subdivisions after all, which makes us ignore/overlook all manner of things.

• 3 weeks later...

"Some of the things that went wrong for WCW were giving creative control to a lot of the wrestlers and some of the storylines were asinine. Some of the ideas were great, but it was a very disorganized show and then when they brought somebody else in from the WWF to be a writer, Vince Russo, he made it ten times worse. He took a problem...they had a massive hangnail and he just chopped off the arm. That was part of the problem. Then, you had another major issue, which was the management. Most successful wrestling companies have had one supreme commander at the top. He's owned it, booked everything, run the place, run management. Whether it's Vince McMahon organizing everything, Cowboy Bill Watts, Eddie Graham, Fritz Von Erich, countless others. That made sense as a business model. Strong management, WCW didn't have, and I could provide. (I'm a) more organized booker than anyone (WCW) had," he said.

So I saw this that Tony Khan said and it has inspired me to make a post here because the nerve and arrogance on this guy. Note that the list of WCW bookers includes guys like Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair (I think), and Kevin Sullivan.

To start with Top Booker Tony should be thanking Russo for making his AEW goofs like his favourite wrestler, Orange Cassidy, acceptable to what wrestling fans are left as Russo is a big part of why silly nonsense became acceptable in wrestling to start with. Second, organised booker? Right, he believes that because Dave Meltzer anointed him Booker of the year, the boss of Meltzer's chosen one, Omega (and the Bucks), that it must mean Top Booker Tony knows what he is doing.

Top Booker Tony is so organised that he books programs like Inner Circle vs Pineapple backwards with the first meeting being Wargames, then a Stampede match, and then at the end you get individual matches between the guys. Also faces chasing the heels to get revenge? Nah, faces get revenge instantly and then the program just continues because he is the booker and he says so. 

Top Booker Tony is so organised that he'll have on his program things repeat one segment to the next to the point that Jericho TWICE has done a intervention to try and stop it happening. Regardless, the show is infested with an overwhelming amount of jumpstarts (even from faces on heels in cold matches), post match attacks, and nonsense. 

Top Booker Tony is so organised that even top guys and important future stars like Sami, MJF, Proud and Powerful, FTR, you get the idea can go months and months without a match on Dynamite. Meanwhile dreck like the Best Friends have no such issue getting booked. Guys like MJF and Archer have straight up on TV stated this happens to them so Top Booker Tony is aware he does it but he just continues to do it, thinking like the person he attacked, Russo, that by lamp shading it that it somehow becomes alright. Fans then delude themselves saying "look it was pointed out, that means they know and will fix it".

Top Booker Tony is so organised that he very rarely can find time for female talent on Dynamite outside a single match, usually in the deathslot, which anyone willing to acknowledge it knows he only does because having zero women's matches would get even his most sycophantic fans to go "Wait. Something is wrong here". Meanwhile guys like Angelico/Jack Evans, nobodies and tag guys, will get at times random single matches that go 15-20 mins.

Top Booker Tony is so organised that he books constant Heel vs Heel matches that don't make sense at any level. Got yourself a possible future Rey Mysterio in Fenix? Better have him be a heel and in constant heel vs heel matches. What about Britt Baker? Heel champion who finally takes the title off that complete waste of a champion in Shida, hard to matter granted when women get a single match a week and you can't effectively promo to try and make up for it, and what is her first program? The natural program against Thunder Rosa due to that bloody match they had that made no sense afterwards as Britt Baker came out of it like she won the match? Nah, HEEL VS BLOODY HEEL PROGRAM WITH NYLA ROSE! Why? Just why? Because Nyla beat Britt in that terrible tournament to put over Japanese women as always? It was stupid then too. Is it because Nyla is at the top of the rankings? You control the damn booking of the matches, the results, and have been shown to fix the rankings with people who should be above others being below. Just have some face beat Nyla which has never been a problem before and have Nyla drop from the top spot, but perhaps that requires too much organisation for Top Booker Tony. 

Now don't get me wrong. AEW is a car wreck of a program. It can be entertaining to see it get mangled by all the nonsense. However, Tony Khan having the gall to talk as if he is some great booker is a travesty. Every time he opens his mouth he shows how idiotic he is. Does Vince do this for comparison? No, because in that position you have to be above these matters. Wrestling ain't the only thing Tony Khan doesn't know when to shut up on either. In Football (Soccer for Amercians) he is also supremely incompetent but thinks he knows what he is doing. Problem with Football however is he can't control the match ups so his team gets destroyed, and gets destroyed often. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Khan recently just confirmed, in an embarrassing interview with Bubba Ray Dudley, that tag team wrestling is not going to get better. His response to, politely, having the pathetic state of his company's refereeing being exposed is to claim (lie) that he had never heard of such an issue before and that he doesn't see anything wrong. Now, he ain't Vince who can exist in his own reality and often legitimately be unaware of hate towards his product. Khan is the type who'd know every attack being made on AEW, someone who'd go out looking for it. The nervousness, arrogance, and jumping on minor details to try and escape any criticism here is the Tony Khan that football, the American kind and elsewhere's, knows and hates. Unlike Vince, Khan does wrestling media, but clearly can only handle media that kisses his arse and praises him.

Eddie Kingston was caught on camera at a show doing a promo attacking the WWE. The word from most, who aren't all in on AEW anyway, is that someone who used to be at WWE and did get screwed around has a right to say stuff like that. Someone like Kingston who hasn't does not have that right.

Jericho meanwhile could not handle two women making fun of his fall of the cage. Stating that in 6 months they'll be looking for a job and he'll remember this, as in he will be blackballing them from AEW. I thought AEW was supposed to be the friendly place where everyone is a friend and political/petty games aren't played? Additionally, Kingston and others with other shots in the past can attack WWE. However if people at WWE make the lightest of digs at something widely mocked at AEW... blackball threat? Weak.

Been a real bad period for AEW. All this stuff is going to add up down the line. 

18 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Tony Khan recently just confirmed, in an embarrassing interview with Bubba Ray Dudley, that tag team wrestling is not going to get better. His response to, politely, having the pathetic state of his company's refereeing being exposed is to claim (lie) that he had never heard of such an issue before and that he doesn't see anything wrong. Now, he ain't Vince who can exist in his own reality and often legitimately be unaware of hate towards his product. Khan is the type who'd know every attack being made on AEW, someone who'd go out looking for it. The nervousness, arrogance, and jumping on minor details to try and escape any criticism here is the Tony Khan that football, the American kind and elsewhere's, knows and hates. Unlike Vince, Khan does wrestling media, but clearly can only handle media that kisses his arse and praises him.

Eddie Kingston was caught on camera at a show doing a promo attacking the WWE. The word from most, who aren't all in on AEW anyway, is that someone who used to be at WWE and did get screwed around has a right to say stuff like that. Someone like Kingston who hasn't does not have that right.

Jericho meanwhile could not handle two women making fun of his fall of the cage. Stating that in 6 months they'll be looking for a job and he'll remember this, as in he will be blackballing them from AEW. I thought AEW was supposed to be the friendly place where everyone is a friend and political/petty games aren't played? Additionally, Kingston and others with other shots in the past can attack WWE. However if people at WWE make the lightest of digs at something widely mocked at AEW... blackball threat? Weak.

Been a real bad period for AEW. All this stuff is going to add up down the line. 

I'm seriously gonna just see if the OP wants to rename this thread to the Rozalia hates AEW thread.  It's getting old dude.  I used to enjoy coming here and talking about something I enjoy with others who also enjoy it, now I only come out of boredom to see if there's even a chance there's something other than your relentless bashing... and there never is.  

• Like 1

On 07/07/2021 at 10:16 PM, skidmarkgn said:

I'm seriously gonna just see if the OP wants to rename this thread to the Rozalia hates AEW thread.  It's getting old dude.  I used to enjoy coming here and talking about something I enjoy with others who also enjoy it, now I only come out of boredom to see if there's even a chance there's something other than your relentless bashing... and there never is.  

Is it my fault that no one has anything good to say about AEW apparently? Perhaps you think I scare other people from commenting and praising something? If something is good then you can defend it if it is attacked. I will praise what deserves it and on Dynamite there isn't much of that, simple as. I've dialled it back heavily and not given weekly reviews of it because honestly it has piled on top of me as it is clear to me at this point AEW will simply not get better. 

In this week's news. Some guy tried to rush the ring and got stopped. Cut some promos online that made it easy for the Cornette obsessed AEW to point towards him, someone against people jumping the rail and who has had to personally beatdown many in his time, as who is to blame for this. Obviously even without that promo from the guy, they'd have still pointed towards Cornette I'm sure. It is fitting he did it now of all times by the way as AEW just debuted someone on their show who is basically a Cornette stand in and then had Archer knock him out. Sure showed their critics booking that. Small time mentality is what it is. I can't imagine what laughable displays of pettiness and anger would come out of AEW if they had to put up with a 10th of the hate that gets sent WWE's way, often by their fans of course. Speaking of which, top AEW mark Dave Meltzer lost his mind over Zelina Vega not going to AEW calling out the dirtsheets as liars. Meltzer would tell you that he ain't a dirt sheet writer, he is a real journalist boy, yet loses his mind at someone attacking dirt sheets? Interesting. 

2 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Is it my fault that no one has anything good to say about AEW apparently? Perhaps you think I scare other people from commenting and praising something? If something is good then you can defend it if it is attacked. I will praise what deserves it and on Dynamite there isn't much of that, simple as. I've dialled it back heavily and not given weekly reviews of it because honestly it has piled on top of me as it is clear to me at this point AEW will simply not get better. 

Plenty of people have plenty of good things to say about AEW, they just go elsewhere because you've decided to turn this into a toxic environment where the good is ignored and the bad has a spotlight shined on it.  I still don't understand why you watch or care if you think it's such a terrible show, instead of being so miserable all the time and trying to drag everyone down with you just tune out and move on.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Plenty of people have plenty of good things to say about AEW, they just go elsewhere because you've decided to turn this into a toxic environment where the good is ignored and the bad has a spotlight shined on it.  I still don't understand why you watch or care if you think it's such a terrible show, instead of being so miserable all the time and trying to drag everyone down with you just tune out and move on.

People like him are exactly why I left the wrestling boards and don’t discuss wrestling at all anymore. AEW haters are toxic. Best to leave them alone in their misery.

• Like 1

On a better note... Malakai Black.  Couldn't believe he showed up so quickly, a major mistake was apparently made(?) and I couldn't be happier.  Cody's a good starting feud for him IMO, he's got star power and I'm confident the end goal is putting Black over.  I'd actually honestly prefer Black spend some time chasing the TNT title afterwards, he'd have no problem occupying the "tweener" role and him being the one to dethrone Miro would elevate him and the title even more, afterwards I'd have ZERO problem seeing him and Hangman feud over the big gold.

19 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

On a better note... Malakai Black.  Couldn't believe he showed up so quickly, a major mistake was apparently made(?) and I couldn't be happier.  Cody's a good starting feud for him IMO, he's got star power and I'm confident the end goal is putting Black over.  I'd actually honestly prefer Black spend some time chasing the TNT title afterwards, he'd have no problem occupying the "tweener" role and him being the one to dethrone Miro would elevate him and the title even more, afterwards I'd have ZERO problem seeing him and Hangman feud over the big gold.

I'm a fan of his also. Always like a guy who does something different. He's got a unique look, interesting strike based style and a cool finish. Really hope he does well in AEW. Think he's a world title contender personally, but too soon as he's just showed up. TNT might be a good place to start as Miro won't lose to anybody who isn't a big deal. 

Slightly off topic, but been playing Fire Pro Wrestling World lately. It's a cool game for those who like Wrestling!

Edited by GloriousFury9414

3 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

As bad as you make it out to be it's still way better than any week's raw in the last 4 years. I would love to read your thoughts on Bliss's nonsense and Baszler running scared from a doll in the WWE topic.

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Why do I care? AEW comes along supported with money and saying they're going to have a sports based presentation and aren't going to be WWE. Finally, something might be along that hurts WWE and forces them to change and stop the rot in wrestling. Instead? We have a WWE tribute act, in many ways even worse. WWE in response has seemingly grown even more silly itself perhaps to compete for the whole "Wrestling is goofy and a big joke" crowd. That is why I care. 

1 hour ago, NMErickson said:

People like him are exactly why I left the wrestling boards and don’t discuss wrestling at all anymore. AEW haters are toxic. Best to leave them alone in their misery.

I hope you never have to see the level of hate that gets sent towards WWE. AEW gets nothing by comparison.

33 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Black is a good talent, though his gimmick ideas have the capacity to be overly fake and goofy... unlike Wyatt I don't think he has ever been put in that position yet, but it is AEW so we'll see. An aspect I don't like when new guys debut is that the roster only bloats more and more and people are going to get forgotten.

21 minutes ago, sk_lp_him said:

As bad as you make it out to be it's still way better than any week's raw in the last 4 years. I would love to read your thoughts on Bliss's nonsense and Baszler running scared from a doll in the WWE topic.

Of course it is. I'm pretty sure I've said in this thread that even at its worst, Dynamite is still certainly a much better show to watch than RAW which is pain made manifest. 

Bliss has magic powers. There is no justifying it logically like you could Bray before he too began using magic. Fiend not staying down? He is an insane hillbilly from the bayou, you can buy that a guy like that would have an insane tolerance for pain and be able to keep going. Alexa literally controlling people like puppets? No. 

The thing is though, were it in AEW I'm not sure it would quite get the hate it gets right now. Wrestling is "supposed to be silly" people say, unless WWE does silly, then it is everything wrong with wrestling. 

3 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

The thing is though, were it in AEW I'm not sure it would quite get the hate it gets right now. Wrestling is "supposed to be silly" people say, unless WWE does silly, then it is everything wrong with wrestling. 

There's "silly" then there's what they're doing in WWE with her.  Silly is the facial hair and outfits the Bucks are wearing to look stupid on purpose, it's harmless, easy to laugh off and helps their heel persona without hurting anyone else on the roster.  People in the real world dress and act like those fools all the time so it's easy to love to hate.  The Bliss nonsense however isn't silly, it's insulting.  If it were a mid-card, comedy act that'd be one thing but Bliss is arguably supposed to be a top star and Baszler, a woman who should be an ass-kicker through and through is being hurt badly by the shit she's having to do.  WWE has successfully done silly (Otis comes to mind) and people loved it while AEW has also tried silly (Matt Hardy teleporting) and it failed, the context is what's important.

35 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

There's "silly" then there's what they're doing in WWE with her.  Silly is the facial hair and outfits the Bucks are wearing to look stupid on purpose, it's harmless, easy to laugh off and helps their heel persona without hurting anyone else on the roster.  People in the real world dress and act like those fools all the time so it's easy to love to hate.  The Bliss nonsense however isn't silly, it's insulting.  If it were a mid-card, comedy act that'd be one thing but Bliss is arguably supposed to be a top star and Baszler, a woman who should be an ass-kicker through and through is being hurt badly by the shit she's having to do.  WWE has successfully done silly (Otis comes to mind) and people loved it while AEW has also tried silly (Matt Hardy teleporting) and it failed, the context is what's important.

And did teleporting and morphing into another "form" inside an ice machine Matt Hardy get this manner of hate from AEW fans? No, it did not. My point exactly. You say Bliss isn't silly, but insulting. Okay. Then why have you defined Matt Hardy nonsense as merely silly and not insulting? 

Also, this sort of stuff hurts at whatever level of the card it is done in my view. It becomes harder to take main eventers having a contest serious when just 20 mins ago silly and blatantly fake nonsense was going down. 

4 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

And did teleporting and morphing into another "form" inside an ice machine Matt Hardy get this manner of hate from AEW fans? No, it did not. My point exactly. You say Bliss isn't silly, but insulting. Okay. Then why have you defined Matt Hardy nonsense as merely silly and not insulting? 

Because 'Broken Matt was long since established and was already proven to be over.  If that particular character wasn't something people had already accepted and was an at the time experiment who knows what the response would have been, however, everyone was not only excited for 'Broken Matt silliness but expected it.  When it comes to Bliss and her "magic" look at the timeline of events.  It begins with Bray creating a character that is universally praised as one of the most creative and exciting things to hit the business in years, then it devolves into a booking nightmare that kills the character and actually ends up being the last straw for a large sect of fans (myself included), ending with the character being transferred to Bliss giving us "box like structures" and magic.  No tongue in cheek, no self awareness, no fun, and most of all no silliness.  See, context.

Edited by skidmarkgn

18 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Because 'Broken Matt was long since established and was already proven to be over.  If that particular character wasn't something people had already accepted and was an at the time experiment who knows what the response would have been, however, everyone was not only excited for 'Broken Matt silliness but expected it.  When it comes to Bliss and her "magic" look at the timeline of events.  It begins with Bray creating a character that is universally praised as one of the most creative and exciting things to hit the business in years, then it devolves into a booking nightmare that kills the character and actually ends up being the last straw for a large sect of fans (myself included), ending with the character being transferred to Bliss giving us "box like structures" and magic.  No tongue in cheek, no self awareness, no fun, and most of all no silliness.  See, context.

I think you're grasping at straws. Bray Wyatt was established and it didn't save him from getting hate for the silliness of the gimmick so it ain't that. Even Matt Hardy today seemingly won't defend it if challenged on it, instead angrily lashing out that he did it a year ago and people should just forget about it instead of bringing it up. Silly fake nonsense is silly fake nonsense no matter how established you are. 

The fact is as I said, AEW fans are known to be heavily biased and they'll bombard the WWE for something silly, but something in AEW can be twice as silly and then the narrative changes to it being "fun" and okay. To not even get into booking and appearances where someone is missing for a week or two and people are out saying WWE is failing performers/burying them, yet in AEW guys go missing for months at a time, some guys go months at a time without matches on Dynamite even if they show up, and the fans simply cannot muster up the same level of anger, nowhere close. AEW unlike WWE has not yet beat them down again and again (give it time) to the point they become hyper sensitive I know, but it is an unfair double standard regardless.