jackmadrox

The AEW Discussion Thread

436 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 7:32 PM, Glorious Fury said:

 

I can understand, with all the new signings it could change plans to the point it never gets done. Hangman's title run has to come within the next two PPV's, and he should be the guy to take it off Omega and nobody else. I'm fine with Kenny winning for now, as long as the right pay off comes from it. I do agree with you with Christian winning the Impact title though as a bizarre move, timing makes no sense and does nothing for AEW.

 

Also no way did Meltzer compare Reigns and Kenny as being similar. No wonder any guy creates some 'credible' dirtsheet these days 1f602.png

While I agree that Hangman should have beaten an undefeated Omega (if he's still in line to win the title), but Christian winning the Impact World Title makes sense. Omega vs. Christian before came off as a very obvious match...now that Christian won the title it gives the match that sense of "oh he could do it again" from a kayfabe standpoint and adds a bit of intrigue for the average fan. Most of us know he's not winning the AEW World Title...but at least adds a layer to a very straight forward match. 

 

If Adam Page is no longer in line to win the title right now...then I honestly think it'll be Brian Danielson to do it by Full Gear. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Viper said:

While I agree that Hangman should have beaten an undefeated Omega (if he's still in line to win the title), but Christian winning the Impact World Title makes sense. Omega vs. Christian before came off as a very obvious match...now that Christian won the title it gives the match that sense of "oh he could do it again" from a kayfabe standpoint and adds a bit of intrigue for the average fan. Most of us know he's not winning the AEW World Title...but at least adds a layer to a very straight forward match. 

 

If Adam Page is no longer in line to win the title right now...then I honestly think it'll be Brian Danielson to do it by Full Gear. 

 

Beating Omega has never been the focal point in my head during Page's run.  The big moment would be him finishing his journey and holding the title, kinda like the first time Mankind hoisted the belt, it wasn't about who he beat but more the fact that he got to be on top that made the moment.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Viper said:

While I agree that Hangman should have beaten an undefeated Omega (if he's still in line to win the title), but Christian winning the Impact World Title makes sense. Omega vs. Christian before came off as a very obvious match...now that Christian won the title it gives the match that sense of "oh he could do it again" from a kayfabe standpoint and adds a bit of intrigue for the average fan. Most of us know he's not winning the AEW World Title...but at least adds a layer to a very straight forward match. 

 

If Adam Page is no longer in line to win the title right now...then I honestly think it'll be Brian Danielson to do it by Full Gear. 

 

I guess to a degree, and it is a nice moment for Christian who obviously has the big TNA ties when they pushed him when WWE were reluctant to do. It also added more value to Rampage as nobody expected much to happen with the time format given, and since it's inception you've had a title change and Punk turning up.

 

I'd prefer if AEW tried put the belt on guys who it can elevate to that next level and younger guys who they can keep in a major role for several years, beating somebody who is well established to do so. Hangman for me, with a little more build up is the right guy at this time. I mean AEW have a selection of guys who could benefit from a big world title run in the future: MJF, Darby, Ricky Starks, Cody (I know he's not the most popular), Malakai Black, Miro. AEW has done a good job in enhancing new talent so far, just in the future might be time to take that talent up a notch.

 

But then again it is difficult when you have guys like Punk and Bryan coming across who are guys who will get people watching. Punk's numbers on his AEW return were very, very high on social media platforms. A Bryan or Punk title run will get more casual fans invested rather than Hangman and at this time will do better business. Guess it's all about the timing, but still think Hangman should get the rub fairly soon otherwise they'll potentially miss the opportunity.

 

Guess it's what turns the needle at the end of the day right, and what the fans want!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't get to watch tonight's episode but Dynamite but I'm hearing it was pretty flat.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Didn't get to watch tonight's episode but Dynamite but I'm hearing it was pretty flat.

It was. Some decent matches as usual, Punk's promo was good. But a lackluster show overall. 

 

I will say, Punk's debut was amazing, he got his first appearance on Dynamite. I think starting next week (or even on Rampage tomorrow), I want to see Punk in "wrestling mode". He's here now...let's get down to business. I'd like to see some tension between him and Darby form before we get to All-Out. Darby isn't great on the mic at all, so I think Punk should do the heavy lifting there and take some shots at him and fire things up bit...not in a heel kind of way, but something to give the match a little heat under it.

Edited by Viper
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

For me personally, CM Punk does nothing for me. I think the guy is overrated and quite frankly, untalented. Even Joe Rogan himself said CM Punk is untalented. I never saw what was special about the guy?

 

The only 2 things I'll give him credit for is for stepping into the UFC, much respect. And the 2nd thing is back when he spoke out about the WWE off scrip, again respect. 

 

Maybe someone could explain why this guy is special or a big deal?

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

For me personally, CM Punk does nothing for me. I think the guy is overrated and quite frankly, untalented. Even Joe Rogan himself said CM Punk is untalented. I never saw what was special about the guy?

 

The only 2 things I'll give him credit for is for stepping into the UFC, much respect. And the 2nd thing is back when he spoke out about the WWE off scrip, again respect. 

 

Maybe someone could explain why this guy is special or a big deal?

 

Everyone's got their preferences, me personally, I've never liked Austin or the Rock.

 

When it comes to Punk, for me, it's been about his character being genuine, he entered a company that's become known for stale, formulaic, strictly scripted content (Miz is a perfect example of everything the WWE loves) and he did his own thing.  If one of the suits backstage told him he needed to change and be an assembly line company clone, he had a reputation for not putting up with it, to the point where he's considered by most to be a total dick.  Punk was also a guy like Daniel Bryan who couldn't be held down regardless of Vince's opinion.  Smaller guys have broken through and been top guys before but they almost always had support from VERY influential people behind the scenes, Punk and Bryan got there because they formed a sincere bond with the audience, Bryan through his pure wrestling talent and "underdog" character, Punk with his ability to grab a mic and speak with his heart.  Darby's a similar type of talent, he 's extremely small by wrestling standards, and he's not a great talker by any means but his ability to take an absurd amount of punishment makes you start to pull for him when he's getting thrashed by a bigger guy and still keeps on getting up, he really makes us believe you have to basically kill him to keep him down.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

For me personally, CM Punk does nothing for me. I think the guy is overrated and quite frankly, untalented. Even Joe Rogan himself said CM Punk is untalented. I never saw what was special about the guy?

 

The only 2 things I'll give him credit for is for stepping into the UFC, much respect. And the 2nd thing is back when he spoke out about the WWE off scrip, again respect. 

 

Maybe someone could explain why this guy is special or a big deal?

I mean...for the literal opposite reason you just said. You say he's untalented and that's like the farthest thing from the truth. He's great in the ring (or at least was, we'll see how he does at All-Out after 7 years away), one of the best mic workers in the history of Pro Wrestling, a great story teller, he has an heir about him that people gravitate towards. And is willing to tell you what you need to hear, instead of what you want to hear. Punk got over in WWE because he grabbed onto a portion of the fanbase that had already been fed up for years with the crap we were being given...but considering no one ever listens to the fans, Punk provided the voice we needed with a a spotlight we didn't have, "the voice of the voiceless" may have been a nickname but it was derived from truth. Punk embodied the Pro Wrestling we were wanting so bad in a time when lousy Sports Entertainment was all we were getting. 

An interesting thing we're looking forward to NOW...is how is Punk going to fair in a landscape like AEW, that embraces everything he was trying to accomplish, now that he doesn't need to be anti-establishment. 

Edited by Viper
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Viper said:

I mean...for the literal opposite reason you just said. You say he's untalented and that's like the farthest thing from the truth. He's great in the ring (or at least was, we'll see how he does at All-Out after 7 years away), one of the best mic workers in the history of Pro Wrestling, a great story teller, he has an heir about him that people gravitate towards. And is willing to tell you what you need to hear, instead of what you want to hear. Punk got over in WWE because he grabbed onto a portion of the fanbase that had already been fed up for years with the crap we were being given...but considering no one ever listens to the fans, Punk provided the voice we needed with a a spotlight we didn't have, "the voice of the voiceless" may have been a nickname but it was derived from truth. Punk embodied the Pro Wrestling we were wanting so bad in a time when lousy Sports Entertainment was all we were getting. 

An interesting thing we're looking forward to NOW...is how is Punk going to fair in a landscape like AEW, that embraces everything he was trying to accomplish, now that he doesn't need to be anti-establishment. 

True, he will have more creative freedom in AEW. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2021 at 4:01 AM, skidmarkgn said:

I'm only as smart as I am which means I may not be understanding correctly.  Looks like WWE has made it a point not to go to Chicago, but they should be considering it, along with the West Coast?

 

If that's the case, I 100% think they should hit Chicago ASAP.  With the Punk signing there's a solid chance they're gonna be in there with a hostile crowd, and if that's the case, milk it.  Take shots at Punk not being good enough for the "big leagues", do everything you can to generate Roddy Piper playing La Cooka Ratcha as Mexico's national anthem heat, it'd be good for TV.  On the other hand, if the crowd's receptive, they still win.  Chicago's arguably the best wrestling town in the US and they'll always make an average show good and a good show great. 

As for the West Coast, I'm a Washington native, lived here my whole life and I know we're a good wrestling town too, Kevin Owens and Elias had a brilliant segment working up a Seattle crowd once JUST by taking shots at us losing the Sonics (still can't believe they never mentioned the blown Superbowl, oh the heat they coulda had)... problem is, no Daniel Bryan anymore, and without him Seattle's not gonna be anywhere near as hot as they have in the past.  If AEW ever chooses to come here they have Bryan and Darby up their sleeve, they just have to actually make the damn trip.  So, If they're gonna go West, IMO it'd probably better to focus on California.

 

WWE has taken advantage of a hostile crowd like all of once, and it was because it was a good business decision due to wanting to launch a third brand and likely because John Cena used his status as a top guy to state that if he was going to go in there, in front of an ECW crowd, against fan favourite RVD on top of that, then he should be the heel in the situation and make use of the negative reaction. Later on the WWE banned the ballroom as they'd always give them a negative reaction and they didn't like that especially as they were giving them Big Show vs Batista which was considered a big match. So I don't think they'll be doing anything to try and take advantage of the crowds there. 

 

They should go west yeah especially with having Bryan. As I think on it I think AEW has just decided there really is no gain in it as they can just go around the east largely who'll eat it up without issue. If you after all can fill up an arena every night in the same town than why even tour? Likewise, if the east does the job why bother with the west outside novelty/giving western fans something now and then. They might go west more if AEW did House Shows, but those are looking like an outdated bit of business and haven't made money in ages.

 

 

On 25/08/2021 at 3:07 AM, skidmarkgn said:

Beating Omega has never been the focal point in my head during Page's run.  The big moment would be him finishing his journey and holding the title, kinda like the first time Mankind hoisted the belt, it wasn't about who he beat but more the fact that he got to be on top that made the moment.

 

You are free to your opinion but you're simply wrong sorry. The issues with Omega and the Young Bucks, Omega beating him, Omega going to the top as a heel while Page become a drunk nowhere near the top of the card as a face. The whole story relies on at the end of it Hangman defeating Omega. 

 

Mankind and Page cannot be put in the same sentence like this. Page is someone talked about in kayfabe and by fans as someone who can and no doubt will hold the title as he is a top talent, has a good body, handsome, can go as you'd expect a top wrestler to, you get the idea. Mankind, Mick Foley, was a guy with a bad body, not considered handsome, known more for garbage stuff (unfair but regardless), and was nowhere near what a top wrestler was especially in WWE. Mankind becoming champion was the impossible happening. Page becoming champion will be the expected happening.

 

On 27/08/2021 at 0:28 AM, skidmarkgn said:

Everyone's got their preferences, me personally, I've never liked Austin or the Rock.

 

When it comes to Punk, for me, it's been about his character being genuine, he entered a company that's become known for stale, formulaic, strictly scripted content (Miz is a perfect example of everything the WWE loves) and he did his own thing.  If one of the suits backstage told him he needed to change and be an assembly line company clone, he had a reputation for not putting up with it, to the point where he's considered by most to be a total dick.  Punk was also a guy like Daniel Bryan who couldn't be held down regardless of Vince's opinion.  Smaller guys have broken through and been top guys before but they almost always had support from VERY influential people behind the scenes, Punk and Bryan got there because they formed a sincere bond with the audience, Bryan through his pure wrestling talent and "underdog" character, Punk with his ability to grab a mic and speak with his heart.  Darby's a similar type of talent, he 's extremely small by wrestling standards, and he's not a great talker by any means but his ability to take an absurd amount of punishment makes you start to pull for him when he's getting thrashed by a bigger guy and still keeps on getting up, he really makes us believe you have to basically kill him to keep him down.

 

When I was young I liked Jericho, RVD, Kane above those two myself. 

 

You are being very charitable to Punk. If we're talking genuine then he certainly ain't being genuine in AEW right now. A reason Punk is such an effective talker and also heel is that he himself is very much an arsehole. At the moment in AEW he is a sort of happy to be there I love the fans type of guy who just is not what CM Punk is. 

 

Also... I take big issue with you bringing up Miz like that as if he had it easy, as that is the implication. Miz had it harder than Punk in WWE and everything he has, he worked hard to attain all while not being an arsehole about it. Miz was hated by everyone backstage instantly for his background, something the likes of Punk/Cornette/some others still hate him for to this day. He was bullied by arseholes like Benoit and kicked out of the locker room by him for no good reason, only being let back in after Benoit killed himself and his family, and Undertaker decided to ask Miz one day why he was always changing outside the locker room and then letting him back in after hearing the ridiculous story. He was with little training put on TV by WWE which usually means you crash and burning. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2021 at 3:07 AM, skidmarkgn said:

 

Beating Omega has never been the focal point in my head during Page's run.  The big moment would be him finishing his journey and holding the title, kinda like the first time Mankind hoisted the belt, it wasn't about who he beat but more the fact that he got to be on top that made the moment.

 

Like Rozalia, I have to disagree. Other than his loss to Jericho to decide the first champion, Page's story has always been about dethroning Omega. I think it was originally planned to happen at All Out but with Page expecting they probably decided to postpone and they knew they could get by with the buzz of Punks arrival. I really hope they don't abandon the plan though, it would be a bad move by AEW to not follow through on a 2 year angle with the deserved climax.

 

Fantasy booking I hope after winning the title at Full Gear he fueds with a heel CM Punk in another straight edge angle and maybe even a heel Bray Wyatt who could take over the Dark Order.

 

On 8/27/2021 at 0:01 AM, Cryogenicide_X said:

For me personally, CM Punk does nothing for me. I think the guy is overrated and quite frankly, untalented. Even Joe Rogan himself said CM Punk is untalented. I never saw what was special about the guy?

 

The only 2 things I'll give him credit for is for stepping into the UFC, much respect. And the 2nd thing is back when he spoke out about the WWE off scrip, again respect. 

 

Maybe someone could explain why this guy is special or a big deal?

 

Joe Rogan doesn't have a clue about Pro Wrestling, and he pretty much admits this himself. So unless he's talking about his MMA skills I wouldn't put much stock in his opinion.

 

Punk's biggest strengths would be his promos and storytelling in the ring. He's one of the GOAT on the mic. His heel work is fantastic, especially when working his straight edge gimmick and his 'pipe bomb' promo in 2011 catapulted him into main event status until WWE dropped the ball. He's not a great wrestler in terms of technical ability or flashy moves but he's old school in being able to tell a great story in the ring. He's had two 5* rated matches from Meltzer, for what that that's worth.

 

If you really wanted to hunt down any of his work prior to WWE I'd recommend his fued with Raven, matches with Samoa Joe and Summer of Punk 2005 (all ROH).

 

2 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

You are being very charitable to Punk. If we're talking genuine then he certainly ain't being genuine in AEW right now. A reason Punk is such an effective talker and also heel is that he himself is very much an arsehole. At the moment in AEW he is a sort of happy to be there I love the fans type of guy who just is not what CM Punk is. 

 

Also... I take big issue with you bringing up Miz like that as if he had it easy, as that is the implication. Miz had it harder than Punk in WWE and everything he has, he worked hard to attain all while not being an arsehole about it. Miz was hated by everyone backstage instantly for his background, something the likes of Punk/Cornette/some others still hate him for to this day. He was bullied by arseholes like Benoit and kicked out of the locker room by him for no good reason, only being let back in after Benoit killed himself and his family, and Undertaker decided to ask Miz one day why he was always changing outside the locker room and then letting him back in after hearing the ridiculous story. He was with little training put on TV by WWE which usually means you crash and burning. 

 

I'm not sure how you can say Punk hasn't been genuine? You'd be right in saying he can be an asshole, cocky, has a chip on his shoulder etc but a large reason for that reputation is because he stays true to himself, so one of the last things I'd say he is is disingenuous.

 

I think some people (not saying you) forget that Punk is/was a massive pro wrestling fan. He was happy in ROH, took over as head coach and there were no reports (that I'm aware of) of him being difficult to work with there. The WWE obviously sucked the love of wrestling out of him over the years with their lack of care, politics, booking and commercial decisions that sent him from frustrated to a bitter hatred.

 

It took him 18 months of feeling out Tony Khan/AEW and conversations with people he knew that worked there to even agree to signing on, although I'm sure the pandemic had a big part in that delay. Point being he wasn't going to jump back into wrestling unless he was sure he was going to be happy there and I have zero doubt that his reaction to being out in those crowds again were as real as it gets. 

 

 

As for you taking a big issue with the other poster re: the Miz. I'm pretty sure he was using him as a leading example of a WWE wrestler that will do anything and everything that's asked of him (which he is). Your "implication" accusation that he has had it easy is a leap at best and putting words in the posters mouth at worst. I'm not trying to start something here but c'mon dude.

 

Anyway, I completely agree with what you said about the Miz. He did well to persevere and fight that long for locker room acceptance. He was almost setup to fail and through hard work he's made a successful career out of it. I'm a fan of his and he seems like a nice guy too.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

You are free to your opinion but you're simply wrong sorry.

 

 

You are being very charitable to Punk. If we're talking genuine then he certainly ain't being genuine in AEW right now. A reason Punk is such an effective talker and also heel is that he himself is very much an arsehole. At the moment in AEW he is a sort of happy to be there I love the fans type of guy who just is not what CM Punk is. 

 

Also... I take big issue with you bringing up Miz like that as if he had it easy, as that is the implication. Miz had it harder than Punk in WWE and everything he has, he worked hard to attain all while not being an arsehole about it. Miz was hated by everyone backstage instantly for his background, something the likes of Punk/Cornette/some others still hate him for to this day. He was bullied by arseholes like Benoit and kicked out of the locker room by him for no good reason, only being let back in after Benoit killed himself and his family, and Undertaker decided to ask Miz one day why he was always changing outside the locker room and then letting him back in after hearing the ridiculous story. He was with little training put on TV by WWE which usually means you crash and burning. 

 

Seeing people tell others their opinion is wrong will never get old.

 

Also, did you even read my post about Punk?  I brought up his reputation of being a dick.  However, like Viper said, he spoke his mind and it was always from the heart, which was the point of my post.

 

And about Miz, first off, you can save the long winded history lesson, we all know the Miz's story.  And I never implied he had it easy because that would be idiotic.  I flat out stated he fits the WWE mold to the letter, his ring work, his promos (are weekly Miz TV segments really necessary?) and his outside endeavors are all things that are extremely "WWE" and it has worked out well for him.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReazonIzTreazon said:

Joe Rogan doesn't have a clue about Pro Wrestling, and he pretty much admits this himself. So unless he's talking about his MMA skills I wouldn't put much stock in his opinion.

 

Punk's biggest strengths would be his promos and storytelling in the ring. He's one of the GOAT on the mic. His heel work is fantastic, especially when working his straight edge gimmick and his 'pipe bomb' promo in 2011 catapulted him into main event status until WWE dropped the ball. He's not a great wrestler in terms of technical ability or flashy moves but he's old school in being able to tell a great story in the ring. He's had two 5* rated matches from Meltzer, for what that that's worth.

 

If you really wanted to hunt down any of his work prior to WWE I'd recommend his fued with Raven, matches with Samoa Joe and Summer of Punk 2005 (all ROH).

 

I don't know what Joe Rogan said word for word but if I had to guess then his point would have been that CM Punk is not physically talented, commonly known as not being "Athletic". Some people are born with unathletic bodies not much suited for sports. Others are born with ones that are, some freakishly so. This is why someone like Punk no matter if he was 10 years younger and trained like hell wouldn't be able to be a good "flipper". Meanwhile someone like RVD is so good at such things that anyone who tries to be like him looks like a joke by comparison even if they are good at flips. Using basic language here, don't read too much into it. As I said, RVD was one of my favourites and a guy so talented at it that even stuff I'd normally dislike I liked as he was just that good. 

 

3 hours ago, ReazonIzTreazon said:

I'm not sure how you can say Punk hasn't been genuine? You'd be right in saying he can be an asshole, cocky, has a chip on his shoulder etc but a large reason for that reputation is because he stays true to himself, so one of the last things I'd say he is is disingenuous.

 

I think some people (not saying you) forget that Punk is/was a massive pro wrestling fan. He was happy in ROH, took over as head coach and there were no reports (that I'm aware of) of him being difficult to work with there. The WWE obviously sucked the love of wrestling out of him over the years with their lack of care, politics, booking and commercial decisions that sent him from frustrated to a bitter hatred.

 

It took him 18 months of feeling out Tony Khan/AEW and conversations with people he knew that worked there to even agree to signing on, although I'm sure the pandemic had a big part in that delay. Point being he wasn't going to jump back into wrestling unless he was sure he was going to be happy there and I have zero doubt that his reaction to being out in those crowds again were as real as it gets. 

 

Him in that moment and all that is genuine, I wouldn't say otherwise. What I mean is what he is putting forward as his character on TV to build for this match. Him being "happy to be there", that he respects Darby, those sort of things. Punk is well known to be a cynical jealous bitter malcontent. That is what I'd buy from him. Punk should be asking to be in the main event over Omega vs Christian rather than "I'm here to have a great match with this kid which'll ultimately help him", something that I've never seen as a thing from Punk. Of course everything is good if at All Out he reveals it all is a ruse, we'll see. 

 

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Seeing people tell others their opinion is wrong will never get old.

 

Let me put it another way then. Your opinion is not commonly held and AEW will be very foolish if they go by it rather than the more commonly held position.

 

3 hours ago, ReazonIzTreazon said:

As for you taking a big issue with the other poster re: the Miz. I'm pretty sure he was using him as a leading example of a WWE wrestler that will do anything and everything that's asked of him (which he is). Your "implication" accusation that he has had it easy is a leap at best and putting words in the posters mouth at worst. I'm not trying to start something here but c'mon dude.

 

Anyway, I completely agree with what you said about the Miz. He did well to persevere and fight that long for locker room acceptance. He was almost setup to fail and through hard work he's made a successful career out of it. I'm a fan of his and he seems like a nice guy too.

 

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

And about Miz, first off, you can save the long winded history lesson, we all know the Miz's story.  And I never implied he had it easy because that would be idiotic.  I flat out stated he fits the WWE mold to the letter, his ring work, his promos (are weekly Miz TV segments really necessary?) and his outside endeavors are all things that are extremely "WWE" and it has worked out well for him.  

 

I wasn't happy with that part of the post honestly, and that was even after deleting half of it as I felt I was really negatively burying Punk when he has just returned and deserves a chance. Leaving that in perhaps would have given more context but in essence after seeing years of Punk marks acting toxic and going after others to big the guy up seeing someone frame someone in a sort of negatively perceived way while framing Punk in a positive set me off. I'm not made of stone or some manner of machine, so these things can happen.

 

I will apologise to skidmarkgn for laying that on him. It wasn't fair. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Let me put it another way then. Your opinion is not commonly held and AEW will be very foolish if they go by it rather than the more commonly held position.

 

I will apologise to skidmarkgn for laying that on him. It wasn't fair. 

 

Probably, but again for me, seeing Page hoist the belt is all it would take to be happy with the payoff, if it happens by beating someone else, wouldn't lessen the moment at all in my eyes.  I'm just easy to please that way.

 

👊 fist bump

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the community,

 

Is the PPV too soon to debut Brian Danielson?  Should they let the Punk fervor run its course for a while then re-ignite the crowd with his debut or is it better to fire off both barrels at once and let (potentially) Bray or Cole be the next big pop?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Question for the community,

 

Is the PPV too soon to debut Brian Danielson?  Should they let the Punk fervor run its course for a while then re-ignite the crowd with his debut or is it better to fire off both barrels at once and let (potentially) Bray or Cole be the next big pop?

 

I'd fire both off in fairly quick succession, but maybe after All Out. Then again it could make for a major moment, and plently of people will be keeping a eye on All Out due to Punk, so probably will have more interest rather than a Dynamite show as I'd expect him to turn up there if he doesn't appear at All Out. It's a tricky one to call. 

 

Punk is a much bigger deal to most, but personally I'd love to see Bryan away from WWE and I'm quite excited for him showing up. Punk debut was great though, and really can't see Bryan topping that. It really felt like a big moment for AEW, and can only see a upward trajectory from this point if plans are executed well.

Edited by Glorious Fury
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Question for the community,

 

Is the PPV too soon to debut Brian Danielson?  Should they let the Punk fervor run its course for a while then re-ignite the crowd with his debut or is it better to fire off both barrels at once and let (potentially) Bray or Cole be the next big pop?

 

If done correctly by putting him in a hot program then you should debut him at the PPV. If it is going to be like Punk where he says he loves the fans, wrestling, and wants to do a heatless match with a young midcard babyface... then yeah, may as well delay it then. 

 

21 hours ago, Glorious Fury said:

I'd fire both off in fairly quick succession, but maybe after All Out. Then again it could make for a major moment, and plently of people will be keeping a eye on All Out due to Punk, so probably will have more interest rather than a Dynamite show as I'd expect him to turn up there if he doesn't appear at All Out. It's a tricky one to call. 

 

Punk is a much bigger deal to most, but personally I'd love to see Bryan away from WWE and I'm quite excited for him showing up. Punk debut was great though, and really can't see Bryan topping that. It really felt like a big moment for AEW, and can only see a upward trajectory from this point if plans are executed well.

 

Byran is a bigger star than Punk. He doesn't have that "screw WWE" energy the fans love so much though. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something of note with all the new influxes is what it means for TV time on Dynamite. It is actually more concerning for the men currently on the roster as the women get rock bottom time to start with and outside removing their 1 match on Dynamite you can't make it worse. 

 

I did look up Dynamite women vs Smackdown women to see the differences in their match appearances and it was ugly and I could detail a massive post here knocking AEW for how they are jerking these women around and all that, but I think a more interesting thing for everybody is this. 

 

Should women's wrestling be on a lets face it, male wrestler show? It cuts time for the guys (which AEW is heavily bloated with) and especially in the case of AEW, what sort of time is one match per show going to do for all those women? Obviously AEW doesn't care about women's wrestling but wouldn't it be better/fairer if they took Dark and Dark Elevation, combined them, and made it a woman only show? Women could obviously still show up on Dynamite/Rampage as managers or whatever but no matches. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Something of note with all the new influxes is what it means for TV time on Dynamite. It is actually more concerning for the men currently on the roster as the women get rock bottom time to start with and outside removing their 1 match on Dynamite you can't make it worse. 

 

I did look up Dynamite women vs Smackdown women to see the differences in their match appearances and it was ugly and I could detail a massive post here knocking AEW for how they are jerking these women around and all that, but I think a more interesting thing for everybody is this. 

 

Should women's wrestling be on a lets face it, male wrestler show? It cuts time for the guys (which AEW is heavily bloated with) and especially in the case of AEW, what sort of time is one match per show going to do for all those women? Obviously AEW doesn't care about women's wrestling but wouldn't it be better/fairer if they took Dark and Dark Elevation, combined them, and made it a woman only show? Women could obviously still show up on Dynamite/Rampage as managers or whatever but no matches. 

 

I'd rather they go the other way and trim down the unnecessary male workers to make room for another women's segment, time to just face facts and accept that Peter Avalon, Sonny Kiss, The Gun Club, etc etc really aren't making any of the shows better, they're just filling spots in a very limited space.  If never seeing Joey Janella again meant more Tay Conti every week that's a trade I'd take without hesitation.  I doubt a large portion of AEW fans watch Dark or Elevation (I don't) so making them an all women's show doesn't seem like it'd be helping the situation much, it's just giving them more exposure to a much MUCH smaller audience instead of less exposure to a larger one.  They could also. maybe once a month or so, have Rampage be an all female episode.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'd rather they go the other way and trim down the unnecessary male workers to make room for another women's segment, time to just face facts and accept that Peter Avalon, Sonny Kiss, The Gun Club, etc etc really aren't making any of the shows better, they're just filling spots in a very limited space.  If never seeing Joey Janella again meant more Tay Conti every week that's a trade I'd take without hesitation.  I doubt a large portion of AEW fans watch Dark or Elevation (I don't) so making them an all women's show doesn't seem like it'd be helping the situation much, it's just giving them more exposure to a much MUCH smaller audience instead of less exposure to a larger one.  They could also. maybe once a month or so, have Rampage be an all female episode.

 

They certainly are bloated with them yes, but those you mentioned have long since been shuffled out. Janella gets 1 Dynamite match with him as a jobber like every 4 months. Sonny Kiss has not been seen on Dynamite since Oct 21st 2020. Peter Avalon features even less than Janella in matches but he at does gets some manager spots here and there due to being part of a jobber faction.

Point is, they're simply not taking up time on Dynamite as they don't feature to any degree. If you're wondering why they're employed (I know at least Janella got another contract recently so they'll be sticking around) outside Khan being completely soft and not wanting to upset anyone. Avalon apparently has a backstage job I think. Janella is a scout for them apparently as he does a lot of Mud Shows (his words, referencing Cornette). Kiss, lets face it, is someone to point to when talking themselves up as progressive, inclusive, and all that stuff. 

 

It is hard to get an exact read on how many people watch AEW Dark. It counts views, not how many people watched it. So a Dark Episode might get say 400k views but in no way can it be believed that anywhere close to 400k people sat through the now bloated Dark (used to be a shorter show) which consists of a lot of jobber squash matches where guys face people you've never seen or heard of and they randomly go 10 mins for who knows what reason, I mean yes, it is to pad out their wins, but do they need to go so long? Anyway, I've heard some people say 100k people watch it which might be too high honestly, but even at that number you're looking at 10% of AEW's audience at best basically.

 

Ultimately Khan is in the promoting game. If he retools two of his shows into 1 Woman's show then it is up to him to promote it and get its viewership as high as he can. Though online as a medium is not yet credible so he'd have to get them a TV slot. Your idea on Rampage having 1 week just be woman's matches is a start, though it being the Woman's show in general, say a reverse Dynamite where the men get 1 match on it and the rest is women might be a better remedy, if not perfect.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the best to her family and her if there is something after all this. No real information on why outside possibly her being out of the profession taking a toll on her. Granted, perhaps the profession itself might be to blame we don't know. You hear sometimes from some guys, Foley for example, about how being a wrestler has left post their profession in a horrible physical condition with him having trouble getting out of bed. Then you have the addictions that can happen due to the pain. 

 

Granted, Foley is an extreme case, but a good showing regardless why "Hardcore"/"Deathmatch" wrestling is stupid outside at best rare appearances for guys and also why guys often found on AEW doing crazy dives (that no one cares about) to the outside are foolish (for them and whoever is catching them. Look at Ridge Holland having his legs detonated catching someone for such a dive). Such things are making wrestling more dangerous than ever for many guys, though some are smart enough to know not to do that crap, or aren't but luckily for them they can't do it. They may limp on while in the business, but afterwards? Not good on their mental health.

 

Also... referring back to my pervious post. Speaking of Dark, Joey Janela, and Women's wrestling. On Dark Janela (cosplaying early HHH too now rather than just early Jericho?) has now gained a bodyguard in Kayla Rossi who even though a newcomer to the industry is not unknown to me as I've seen her in an image she took with Jade Cargill and a third women which... I'm not so sure I can even post on here. They are in bikinis and they are very... well put together. Clearly she doesn't have the amount of star power that Jade has which we can see clearly with AEW giving her the bodyguard role to a jobber while Jade debuted in a big time angle. To sum up why Jade has more star power. Jade is more attractive. Jade is significantly taller which when built like that gives you one hell of an Amazon look. Jade also being Black has darker skin which means her impressive musculature is more easily seen, which is why bronzer exists as a thing for bodybuilding competitions.

 

Regardless, a nice pick up for AEW. Will need a lot of work as she obviously has no experience. There is a video of her in training and it impressed a lot of people but not me. As I've said on here. I'm not impressed if you learn how to do "movez". What I care about is how your basics are as that is your base and if you master those than everything else will come easy going forward. I'm not surprised that AEW training her training on movez first of course as that is what you expect from amateurs. On top of all that... they clearly didn't even do a good job on that going by her performance on Dark. The jobber guy sent towards her by Janela straight up leaped up in powerbomb position for her which screams fake. Yes yes, wrestling involves cooperation but it can't be that obvious. You have to do the motion to "pop up" a guy so you can do a powerbomb like that as it then looks like you "popping up" a guy using your strength and their momentum. If she can't do that then either do a standard powerbomb or at least have the guy do the motion for a hurricanrana so it looks like he leaped up to try an offensive move, got caught, and then gets powerbombed. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2021 at 6:24 AM, Rozalia1 said:

Granted, Foley is an extreme case, but a good showing regardless why "Hardcore"/"Deathmatch" wrestling is stupid outside at best rare appearances for guys and also why guys often found on AEW doing crazy dives (that no one cares about) to the outside are foolish (for them and whoever is catching them. Look at Ridge Holland having his legs detonated catching someone for such a dive). Such things are making wrestling more dangerous than ever for many guys, though some are smart enough to know not to do that crap, or aren't but luckily for them they can't do it. They may limp on while in the business, but afterwards? Not good on their mental health.

I agree...sorta. For me I like that AEW gets a bit Hardcore from time to time...I personally missed the shit out of ACTUAL Hardcore moments. We ate this stuff up in Attitude Era...regardless of who it was coming from (WWF, WCW or ECW), but WWE went soft (admittedly some of it was for good reason, ala chair shots to the head) and we got used to living without it. But seeing it in AEW, or just seeing blood, has been a very welcome change of pace to me. There wasn't much that was worse than seeing an Extreme Rules match or Hell in a Cell and no one got busted open unless it was by accident...it ruins the immersion of the match we're watching. 

 

However I watched that GCW match where Matt Cardona won the title from Nick Gauge because everyone was talking about it...a nice moment for Cardona, but THAT was a garbage match. Stuff like that doesn't do it for me. I definitely prefer the more wrestling oriented style of adding weapons into an actual wrestling match (Omega/Moxley) rather than the "how much blood can we shed?" Deathmatch style. 

 

But with that, I can't hate on "crazy dives" either. Been watching AEW since it started and I'm still awestruck watching Rey Fenix do his thing. And I love when Darby just launches himself through the ropes without a care in the world and demolishes anyone in his path (ala what he did to 2Point0 last night on Rampage). I've always subscribed to the idea that I don't want anyone getting hurt, but these guys (and gals) knw what they signed up for...and if it's part of what they do, then I'm all for it. 

Edited by Viper
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only place I can think to ask this. The PSN store has the All Out PPV available for preorder listed with an end date of the 8th. I know PSN has had some PPVs listed in the past... will it be up for purchase within those 3 days or do I need to preorder it and watch it before the end date?

 

Won't be able to watch it live and the replay times for my TV provider are awful.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.