The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

• 3 weeks later...

So... it looks like I'm watching this tonight.

Because I asked in multiple outlets (Discord servers I'm on, other websites/forums/etc.) and everyone is recommending it to me.

It's fine. I guess. 20+ years ago I watched both WCW & WWE... so... ?

Just don't expect me to know who anyone is except the former/disgruntled/people that hate WWE. lol. ?

I'll be honest though... I feel like I'm doing something sacrilegious... ?

56 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

So... it looks like I'm watching this tonight.

Because I asked in multiple outlets (Discord servers I'm on, other websites/forums/etc.) and everyone is recommending it to me.

It's fine. I guess. 20+ years ago I watched both WCW & WWE... so... 1f605.png

Just don't expect me to know who anyone is except the former/disgruntled/people that hate WWE. lol. 1f630.png

I'll be honest though... I feel like I'm doing something sacrilegious... 1f628.png

Man I couldn't be more excited for tonight.  Kenny Omega's time in the American spotlight is LOOOOONG over due and he, along with many others, will be household names in no time.  The WWE and primarily Vince are in desperate need for some legit competition so he can see that it's time to listen to what the fans want instead of constantly trying to tell us what we want, and hopefully that time has finally come.

Alright, first show's in the books.  It ended minutes ago so I'll try to be as non-spoilery as possible just in case.  Wasn't without its flubs but I'm sure they'll fin d a groove sooner than later.  A lot of the early mic work needed help but the matches were mostly solid, wasn't expecting Pac/Hangman to be as slow paced as it was but still a good match.  The end showed off the star-power they're starting right out of the gates with and that's a huge bonus, and finally, adding *J--- H----* to the roster is a super-solid grab IMO.  Solid but not perfect show, B+.

Edited by skidmarkgn

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Well... I watched it. Though I still feel like I did something sacrilegious... 1f628.png

It was... okay honestly. Definitely better than what I was expecting it to be.

Though then again maybe I'm just too used to watching WWE so I don't know how to handle watching something else. 1f605.png

2019-10-02-wednesday-night-war.png

20 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

I watched a little of it. Surprisingly, I wasn't all that impressed. I kinda felt like I was watching a generic verson of WWE. Like everything I was hoping it would be, wasn't there. Hmm. It is the first show though. Give it time to develop. 

Which parts did you watch?

22 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

The Pac match. Yeah pretty much just that

You missed pretty much all of the best parts of the show then.  The Paige/Pac match was solid but it had an oddly slow pace to it, which didn't bug me much because Pac is an amazing heel and was working the crowd like a boss.  The opening and closing matches were the highlights but they still had a different vibe than I was expecting.  The closer especially seemed to be more of a highlight of who they have and not so much what they can do, I mean, who expected Omega to barely be involved in the main event match because he was too busy brawling with Moxley throughout the backstage area?  I personally thought it was the best show of the week and they still have plenty of talent who weren't even in the ring on the premier.

To anybody that watched the Thursday night edition of AEW Dynamite in the UK did we get an edited/cut down version of the show? I watched it and don't recall seeing the MJF vs Brandon Cutler match nor do I recall seeing (not that I'm upset at seeing it) the Jay & Silent Bob interview/promo
I thought the Thursday evening was the full version and the Sunday version the edited edition?

D-damn it feels good to not be insulted by a wrestling program!!  Hot crowd, first match outta the gate delivers and surprises with an upset (hello feeling of anything can happen), Jericho owned the mic like only he can (that man and his lists), amazing pace with very little garbage filler, TV-14, what a great show. 

My only nit-picks: the women's division still feels very weak and the inner circle seems a touch NWO-ish, which isn't a complaint per se, lord knows I LOVE a good faction, it's just a worry, although I doubt they'll bloat it to the point of the entire roster being either Red and black or original.

Awesome.  F--king.  Show!!

On 10/13/2019 at 2:15 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

Is it bad... that I'm actually enjoying this? 1f630.png

NO!!!!!  Isn't it wonderful having an actual competent, coherent wrestling show to watch?  I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been a WWE(F) fan since the mid '80's and I really want them to get better but as long as Vine is at the helm they're going to get worse and worse.

Aew on the other hand has been such a breath of fresh air.  I won't repeat everything I said about the week 2 episode because there's no need, the only thing they need to do is deliver more of the same.  And Darby Allin vs. Jericho next week suggests they will (it's a Philly street fight now so get ready to see why Darby made a name for himself as a hardcore nightmare).  Not to mention there's still a plethora of amazingly talented guys who still haven't even had a match yet.  Spread the word, AEW's awesome.

P.S.  The Young Bucks are by far and away the best tag team in the world and the fact they put Private Party over says a lot about them and AEW.

Edited by skidmarkgn

So last night I finally watched a full episode of AEW Dynamite. The first thing I noticed was how great the tag team matches were! It had been so long since I'd seen a tag team match that actually held my attention. There is definitely a universal difference between WWE tag teams and AEW tag teams.

The Moxley vs Pac match was pretty good, bummer though it ended in a draw. Still very early to tell how good AEW will be, but one thing's for sure, they're headed in the right direction tag team wise.

Edited by jackmadrox

1 hour ago, jackmadrox said:

So last night I finally watched a full episode of AEW Dynamite. The first thing I noticed was how great the tag team matches were! It had been so long since I'd seen a tag team match that actually held my attention. There is definitely a universal difference between WWE tag teams and AEW tag teams.

The Moxley vs Pac match was pretty good, bummer though it ended in a draw. Still very early to tell how good AEW will be, but one thing's for sure, they're headed in the right direction tag team wise.

No mention of the amazing Cody/Jericho brawl in the middle of the show!? 

Anyways, I'm not in love with a main event ending in a time limit draw but I like the concept of a time limit in a match.  Hearing "ten minutes remaining" announced in the middle of a match adds to the idea of "wins and losses matter" that AEW has been all about and makes it feel like the wrestlers need to step it up and get it done.  As long as the time limit draw is used VERY sparingly and doesn't become a crutch (which I doubt will happen since AEW looks like they actually have a long term plan in place for their angles) then I'm cool with it.  And the crowds, oh how I love the AEW crowds.  A good crowd can elevate anything, I mean, is it really that awesome watching two guys give each other a big hug in the middle of a ring?  No. It isn't.  But when the crowd pops like that, it becomes awesome.  Putting the Moxley/Omega feud on hold for the week kinda bummed me out but it made sense for Moxley and Pac to have a match after last week.  Only real complaint I have - the women are still a major weakness.  They did a great job getting Britt over but the division as a whole is severely lacking.  And finally, the greatest part of the show...

"What kind of idiot wears a scarf!?"

- Chris Jericho.

Edited by skidmarkgn

20 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

No mention of the amazing Cody/Jericho brawl in the middle of the show!? 

I mean yeah that was pretty funny to see Cody punch through the glass to get to Jericho, but it was just a backstage brawl, nothing we haven't really seen before. 

2 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

I mean yeah that was pretty funny to see Cody punch through the glass to get to Jericho, but it was just a backstage brawl, nothing we haven't really seen before. 

I know it's been done but the build is what's always been important to me, and that was built perfectly.  The Inner Circle coming out through the crowd earlier in the show to set it all up, followed by the constant interruptions from the press box during Cody's promo, the 1, then 2 then 3 then 4 on 4 announcing of Cody's backup, then eventually the brawl.  It didn't feel like just a "scripted segment" like the WWE likes to do, it was a story that was being told throughout the first half of the show.  It's also making their upcoming match actually feel like a big match.

WTF?! Just.... WTF?!

KENNY OMEGA COSPLAYED AS SANS LAST NIGHT AND MEGALOVANIA PLAYED ?

The Young Bucks also played the role of Ryu & Ken from Street Fighter. ?

Is Kenny Omega a gamer or something? There was literally an Undertale reference during his intro video or whatever. I also heard one of the announcers say that his finishing move is called 'One Winged Angel' so I took that as a Final Fantasy 7 reference but I could be wrong. lol.

If this is the case... I think Kenny Omega might instantly become my favorite on this. lol

One more thing...............

I'M STARTING TO LOVE THIS.

SOMEONE HELP.

inb4 someone posts 'ONE OF US. ONE OF US.'

47 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

WTF?! Just.... WTF?!

KENNY OMEGA COSPLAYED AS SANS LAST NIGHT AND MEGALOVANIA PLAYED 1f60d.png

The Young Bucks also played the role of Ryu & Ken from Street Fighter. 1f605.png

Is Kenny Omega a gamer or something? There was literally an Undertale reference during his intro video or whatever. I also heard one of the announcers say that his finishing move is called 'One Winged Angel' so I took that as a Final Fantasy 7 reference but I could be wrong. lol.

He's definitely a gamer, this isn't even his first Undertale entrance apparently.

One Winged Angel is an FF reference, and I know he also references Street Fighter in the V-Trigger knee and he used the Hadouken as a move. Not to mention he and Xavier Woods actually played against each other during a fighting game tournament. Plus, a lot of his merch has game references. Not too familiar with his work, but I'm sure there's more.

On AEW, was flipping around between that, NXT, and the World Series so maybe I missed it, but did the tag title match have entrances? Cause when I switched back, it looked like they cut entrances for time, not to mention the match seemed kinda rushed. That's actually one of the things AEW seems to need to work on, time management and pacing. I remember it bit them on the ass for their first PPV, when the big main event could only go like five to ten minutes. And sometimes, it's felt like the same happened on past Dynamites.

On a positive note, that Moxley promo was it. It was kinda funny to see him be that aggressive and violent in his vibe when his opponent had just cosplayed as Sans earlier that night, but still worked due to Omega doing stuff like the barbed wire items on previous shows.

Just started watching the show on it's second episode all the way to it's newest one and so far I'm loving the show. Although i've been a fan of WWE for about a decade, that whole wrestling motive just awakened. WWE was plummeting so much that I could not stand it anymore since 2015, but ever since AEW started I've been hooked on it ever since. Even though I don't know much about the wrestlers besides Chris Jericho and Cody Rhodes, i've been trying to adapt with it and I think overtime it'll stick with me eventually. Loving the show last night, definitely hyped for Full Gear on November.

couldn't watch the first episode (least there is the highlights) since I forgot what channel it was gonna be on at the time since I had other things planned.

Was forced to miss the first hour so I only got to see from the contract signing on, and what I saw was, again, awesome.  The way they're building for the PPV is making every match feel like a big match, especially Mox vs. Omega.  Man that PPV is absolutely stacked.  I do kind of wish they'd try and do a touch more storytelling in the ring instead of all the spot-fests but anyone who's familiar with these wrestlers know what they're getting, and it's not like the matches are bad, they're just draining because of the pace.  Only other nit-pick, I'm starting to have Darby Allin withdrawals, dude's got superstar written all over him and I need to see him on my damn TV again!!

Aew Darby Allin GIF - Aew DarbyAllin CoffinDrop GIFs