The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

First it was Jericho introducing his inner circle.  Then it was Moxley venting his frustration.  Now, Cody showed what he can do with a mic when the shackles are off.  

Not gonna say it was the greatest show AEW has put on (they seemed like they felt they had to save everyone for the schmoz at the end) but even their "mediocre" shows are delivering a constant stream of moments that generate goosebumps for wrestling fans.  

Couldn't watch the PPV because I was at work bu I'm hearing Moxley and Omega put on a display that was worthy of being called an "unsanctioned" match.  I know hardcore matches like that aren't for everyone and plenty of people won't like it (which is 100% fine) but when you advertise a true anything goes match it does matter that those involved deliver *cough* Hell in a Cell *cough*.  Can't wait to see the Cody/MJF feud, pretty sure we've all been waiting for that inevitable heel turn and those two are gonna be amazing against each other.  Wednesday can't come soon enough.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:32 PM, jackmadrox said:

Tonight's show was the first time IN YEARS that I walked away feeling...fulfilled. It was such an odd feeling too, because I think I actually enjoyed a wrestling show for once, and I forgot what it felt like to do that. I can't wait for next Wednesday's show. 

That's funny, I thought this was their weakest show so far.  Don't get me wrong, it had some seriously great shit (Moxley/Allin, Fenix/Jackson, Jericho/Mic) but the absence of almost all their top players kinda hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

I swear, MJF might be the best heel in the company INDUSTRY right now!!  Everything about that guy screams natural heel and he's 100% running with it, down to putting that ring on his finger, and he's only 23 freakin' years old.

Last week was a bit of a stumble but last night was a great recovery.  I still hate whatever Brandi Rhodes is doing (there really only needs to be one Dark Order style faction) but everything else is average to amazing, and I can't wait to see what's going on with Darby and Cody.

Since I've been watching this for awhile now...

Here are my favorites so far

Cody (Rhodes)

Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose)

Kenny Omega (probably only because of the video game references. lol)

The Young Bucks

That's... pretty much it. No one else has really 'caught my eye' so to speak. So basically... I like 'The Elite.' lol.

Also... no women either. I like seeing Kharma (Awesome Kong) again but she hasn't really had a match. None of the women have really 'impressed' me. ?

4 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Since I've been watching this for awhile now...

Here are my favorites so far

Cody (Rhodes)

Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose)

Kenny Omega (probably only because of the video game references. lol)

The Young Bucks

That's... pretty much it. No one else has really 'caught my eye' so to speak. So basically... I like 'The Elite.' lol.

Also... no women either. I like seeing Kharma (Awesome Kong) again but she hasn't really had a match. None of the women have really 'impressed' me. 1f630.png

Not feelin' any of the heels then?  Pentagon, Fenix, Proud and Powerful, Jericho , or even MJF (who might be the best heel in the business right now)?  Not criticizing you or anything, it's an honest question.  I'd also put Darby Allin in there but I'm biased because, for me, he's a hometown boy.

19 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Not feelin' any of the heels then?  Pentagon, Fenix, Proud and Powerful, Jericho , or even MJF (who might be the best heel in the business right now)?  Not criticizing you or anything, it's an honest question.  I'd also put Darby Allin in there but I'm biased because, for me, he's a hometown boy.

All of those that you mentioned seem to be decent at being annoying so if that means they are good at being bad then I guess yes?

Also I haven't seen enough of Darby to decide if I like him or not

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

I'm sort of getting Sting vibes off of Darby Allen.

Alright my man, about AEW not living up to the hype (WWE thread) I guess it depends on which hype you're talking about.  When it comes to them being the WWE killer some were wanting then, no, definitely not.  When it comes to them being a viable alternative that's loaded with talent right out of the gate then I 100% think they're delivering.  The one biggest misstep I think they had was sacrificing their true top guys to try and build other stars, which sounds weird because one of the WWE's biggest problems is that they do the exact opposite.  Before the new year the Elite were jobbing left and right and it kind of killed a lot of momentum for the company overall, I'm not mad at it though because it looks like it there's a long term "redemption" angle in place (don't  know if you saw the new years day episode, and if you didn't the show opened with a video package of the Elite wanting once again prove they're the best), which leads me into one of their biggest strengths, long term booking.  Cody and MJF, Dustin and Hager, Mox's rise to #1 contender, Pac's obsession with being overlooked (and feud with Kenny Omega), Hangman's looming heel turn, those are just "off the top of my head" feuds and story lines that have been being built since the beginning, meanwhile Vince has probably created and abandoned a hundred workers' story lines and pushes in the same amount of time so he can have a f--king "loser eats dog food" match.

On top of all the top of the card shit I mentioned above you also have the workers that are getting super over organically, Darby Allin, Luchasaurus and Jungleboy (not gonna include Marko Stunt in there) and most of all, Orange Cassidy, that dude is so over right now it's scary.  Then you add in a tag division that's leaps and bounds better than anything we've seen in years.  If it wasn't for The Nightmare Contingency and The Dark Order (at least for now, we'll have to see who the big reveal is when it comes to their leader... more long term booking) there'd not be much to complain about.  The women's division is still kind of a mess but they seem to be slowly but surely working it out so I don't personally see it as as much of a weakness anymore.

They've actually started off so hot (at least against what was predicted for a brand new company) that TNT gave them a 4-year extension and another one-hour show is going to be in the future.

There's no debating that AEW has the superior Tag Team division. I haven't looked forward to a Tag Team match in years until AEW came to be. I don't know how Vince let his Tag division get so lackluster, it's really a shame when you stop and recall all the talent they've had to work with over the years. 

On 1/18/2020 at 11:59 PM, jackmadrox said:

There's no debating that AEW has the superior Tag Team division. I haven't looked forward to a Tag Team match in years until AEW came to be. I don't know how Vince let his Tag division get so lackluster, it's really a shame when you stop and recall all the talent they've had to work with over the years. 

I'll tell you what, while physically Jericho has obviously let himself go (I'm also sure age is catching up with him), the work he's putting in with promos and overall presence might be the best I've ever seen him do.  It's just so easy to see he's having the time of his life and it's showing in his performances.  Every time he, Cody or MJF steps out to the ring the entire show just gets elevated.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Dash and Dawson's WWE contracts are up in April and June respectively and they want no part of re-signing.  I'm really not interested in AEW becoming full of WWE's cast-offs but there's always exceptions.  Matt Hardy needs to be the Dark Order's "exalted one" and Brodie Lee should be amazing when he's finally being used properly.  Now, I'll add the Revival to the list of guys AEW won't waste.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, long time psnp member who hasn't showed up much here much a few years and wrestling fan who watched wcw from 97-99 then wwe from 2004-06 but has always kept and eye on pro wrestling in between these times, glad to see a thread here as I've kept an eye on aew since its beginning, mainly because I'm a massive chris jericho fan