The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

So Brandi confirmed it herself, the Nightmare Collective is done, I guess they did some vignettes of her doing therapy or some shit to have a story line explanation but I personally didn't see any of it, don't care either, as long as it's done I'm happy.  Thank you AEW for actually listening to your fans!!

Loved the last 2 weeks of dynamite, this week I loved the battle royale and tag champ match.

Wwe fucked up with letting cody sleep away.

I know there's people who don't like it but I love orange Cassidy and very interested to see where his gimmick goes 

It's to the point where the fantasy booking for the Dark Order could go like this - 

The Dark Order announces it's time for the arrival of the exalted one.  Christopher Daniels comes down, except it's a swerve and he's pissed off and attacks them, while the fighting is going on we suddenly hear "WHAT ABOUT ME!?!" over a mic and Bam!!  It's Raven, unfortunately he's legitimately giving a what about me promo because it isn't him, swerve #2.  But then it happens, the exalted one comes out for reals and it's, of course, Brodie Lee!!  Just Kidding, it's got to be Broken Matt Hardy, and the pop he gets is legendary.

When the Dark Order was new, I hated them.  All the red herrings they've thrown out now over the exalted one has made them one of the most interesting story lines going.  Well done.

Good god. I know it's still early but Omega/PAC Ironman Match was probably the best match I've seen all year thus far.

Also... I'm starting to see the allure of Darby Allin. WWE really dropped the ball on this one.

I'd say, right now, they are losing this 'war' and losing it BADLY. But I still watch WWE because that's the type of person I am. ?

6 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Also... I'm starting to see the allure of Darby Allin. WWE really dropped the ball on this one.

Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy and Aubrey Edwards seem to be the stars that grew from nowhere.  I know Cassidy already had a fanbase but those three got over organically and generate what seem to be the biggest pops of the shows.  

58 minutes ago, SnakeonaBoat said:

If you didn't see Revolution, definitely try to check out Page/Omega vs Young Bucks. Top-tier action, amazing character work and storytelling by both teams, an easy MOTYC.

Match of the year?  Hell even though it's only March 2020 that shit's a contender for match of the decade!!  That storytelling didn't just go back weeks, it went back years (Bucks doing the golden trigger for example).  And the teases at the end (the Bucks about to superkick Omega, the triple superkick on Hangman and the Buckshot to Kenny that turned into Page holding the ropes for him), I got worked 3 or 4 times by the time i was all said and done.

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

It's awful.  It's shaped wrong, it's placed way too far forward, and there's no definition/contrast so from any amount of distance it looks like a big red blob.  Terrible.

I hated it to start with too, but with one pay per view and an episode if dynamite I actually don't reckon its that bad and kinda forget about it.

Jake the Snake is so good on the mic, not surprised to see him pop up in AEW 

Edited by Simpo

I'm so glad that I started watching AEW. It's been almost 20 years since I've been this excited watching pro-wrestling again. Just wish I found this gem of a show earlier.

Pros: Great storylines, Investing into tag team matches, awesome matches.

Cons: Slow down sometimes, you don't need to go at 11 to be exciting. Women's division is atrocious.

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi

• 2 weeks later...

What I would give to have seen that show with a crowd.  Two debuts and no one there to pop.  None the less, Brodie's "you're not the first outta touch old man to no believe in me" line was classic and Sammy's shirt... where can I get one of those 'cause seriously, that shirt was genius.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm really enjoying aew but it's nowhere near perfect and still has a long way to go, it's still a young company so I'm sure they will learn and grow over the next few years

Right now they have way to many factions, also loads of managers/advisors and certainly way to many "unbeatable monster" big men

I've loved wrestling since I was a kid WWF/E was what I grew up with, I then stopped watching wrestling for a bit and randomly found TNA which I really fell in love with but in recent years it hasn't been the same so I stopped watching it but every now and again I watch little clips on youtube, I do the same with WWE

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh what I would give to see AEW in front of actual live crowds again.  Next week, if Cassidy wins (and with the way they've built this feud he has to win) that moment would be insane with a crowd.  And Kudos to Chris for using his star power to elevate a guy like Orange.  Come to think of it, kudos to Matt Hardy, Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho and Cody for their work.  All 4 of those guys have taken a "project" and because of what they're doing guys like Sammy, Darby and Cassidy are turning into stars.  I'd add MJF into that list but he's so damn good that he does't need the help, lol.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Oh what I would give to see AEW in front of actual live crowds again.  Next week, if Cassidy wins (and with the way they've built this feud he has to win) that moment would be insane with a crowd.  And Kudos to Chris for using his star power to elevate a guy like Orange.  Come to think of it, kudos to Matt Hardy, Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho and Cody for their work.  All 4 of those guys have taken a "project" and because of what they're doing guys like Sammy, Darby and Cassidy are turning into stars.  I'd add MJF into that list but he's so damn good that he does't need the help, lol.

Jericho has always done that though. Remember him losing to Fandango at Mania?

I mean he even put this up and comer over at the Hall of Fame :P

But anyways that is the point of the legends. You need them to get eyeballs on your product but they should be used to get over the new talent not to go over the new talent.

I have mentioned it before but 2 of the stupidest things WWE ever did was RAW 1000 where they brought back a bunch of Attitude era guys and had them beat pretty much the whole roster. Then Mania a few years later they had Mick, Shawn, Stone Cold, Rock, Taker etc beat pretty much the entire roster again.

Sure both shows got a huge pop from the crowd but all it told the fans tuning in for those shows only is the old stars are still awesome and the new people are jobbers.

15 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But anyways that is the point of the legends. 

I understand that, you understand that, and 90% of the wrestling fanbase understands that.  Unfortunately though, the old man who runs the largest wrestling empire in the world... doesn't. 

However, as much as I want to use this space to bash WWE, I'll resist as best as I can.  Orange Cassidy vs. Chris Jericho next week has such potential to elevate Orange to the next level, dude can absolutely go in the ring (he put on an amazing display against Pac), turns out he can also go on the mic, and he has a uniqueness to him that just draws people in.  The only thing he's missing is the 6 foot 5, 280 lb. frame but honestly, that's becoming less and less important these days.  I'm not saying guys like Marko Stunt could have believable runs with titles (although Rey showed it can be done) but talent is talent regardless of size, and Orange has some serious talent.

As for Mox vs. MJF, I'm hoping they find a way to draw it out a bit before making MJF the champ, and he has to be the next champ.  The way they had him try to help Darby win because he was the "weaker" opponent was smart and hopefully Darby can stay involved in the feud long enough to get his big win over Mox once the belt's not involved.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

As much as it pains me to say it, Jericho looked like shit against Orange Cassidy and it kind of ruined what should have been a great moment/match.  Three separate times he killed a Cassidy move by just flopping to his back and one of them was what was supposed to be the mousetrap finish.  Jericho's still always a great promo/segment but he really needs to either get back into some kind of shape or stick with tag matches.

• 1 month later...